• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Charter of Ban Kulin was a trade agreement between Bosnia and the Republic of Ragusa that effectively regulated Ragusan trade rights in Bosnia, written on 29 August 1189. It is one of the oldest written state documents in the Balkans and is among the oldest historical documents written in Bosnian Cyrillic. The charter is of great significance in both Serbian and Bosnian national pride and historical heritage. It is considered as the "Brith Certificate" of the Bosnian statehood.

povelja-kulina-bana-rodni-list-bosne-i-hercegovine-1488274542.jpg

As a founder of first defacto independent Bosnian state, Kulin was and still is highly regarded among Bosnians. Even today, Kulin's era is regarded as one of the most prosperous historical eras, not just for Bosnian medieval state and its feudal lords, but for the common people as well, whose lasting memory of those times is kept in Bosnian folklore, like an old folk proverb with significant meaning: "Od kulina Bana i dobrijeh dana", which means "Since Kulin Ban and those good ol' days".

1200px-Medieval_Bosnian_State_Expansion-en.svg.png

So about the newest Monarch's Journey with the nomadic Yelu Hongji... I could do the first two challenges easily enough but I'm having trouble with the third one. I raised the opinions of my nomadic vassals to 100 without triggering anything. I guess I'm supposed to raise clan sentiment instead? However I cannot figure out how to raise it higher than ~35.

So about the newest Monarch's Journey with the nomadic Yelu Hongji... I could do the first two challenges easily enough but I'm having trouble with the third one. I raised the opinions of my nomadic vassals to 100 without triggering anything. I guess I'm supposed to raise clan sentiment instead? However I cannot figure out how to raise it higher than ~35.
ck2_15.png

Yes, it's clan sentiment with at least 60. There are some options:

- Make new clans. Usually are happier and require less land.
- Prestige. More easy in an old ruler.
- Marriage ties: Get a lot of daughters.
- Build the gathering building in your capital for some bonus as many stages as possible.
- Faith: Two vassal khans are tengri and nestorian. Educate their children or/and proselytize.
- Have the vassal khans as councilors.
- Also the Chancellor has the job action Improve Clan Sentiment.
- Blood Oath makes a bonus for one clan.
- Don't split their clans... or get drunken.

Last edited:
To fully grasp Yelü Hongji's story, read our recap:

Emperor Shengzong, Hongji's grandfather, died in 1031 and left behind instructions designating his son Yelü Zongzhen as heir. The latter becomes emperor under the name of Liao Xingzong at only fifteen years and his reign is immediately threatened by internal conflicts. Her mother is a concubine, Nuou Jin. However, Zongzhen was raised by the wife of Emperor Shengzong, Empress Ji Dian. Nuou Jin quickly manages to marginalize Ji Dian and her supporters. To achieve this, she mounted a plot that led to her exile and the execution of most of her supporters during a long purge. Nuou Jin even sent assassins to kill Ji Dian, but the latter committed suicide. With the death of her rival for power, Nuou Jin declares herself regent and begins to personally lead the missions of the emperor. As Xingzong becomes more and more dissatisfied with the power confiscated by his mother, Nuou Jin tries to replace him with another of his sons, Zhong Yuan, whom she raised personally and who is therefore more docile. However, the latter informed the emperor of their mother's plans and Xingzong immediately condemned her to exile. During the rest of his reign, the emperor continued to compete with his mother for power. Supporters of the latter occupy key positions and her influence is such that she allows herself to return to the capital and organize a ceremony during which she ends her exile herself. Zhong Yuan is rewarded for exposing his mother's dark designs. He quickly climbed the ranks one after the other until he obtained a position of governor outside the capital. The Historian Frederick W. Mote explains the importance of these internal conflicts and what led to the decline of the Liao dynasty. According to him, it shows that "what is fueling the succession problem in the imperial clan is a source of weakness from the leadership. It has wasted people, dispersed energy and diverted the attention of the leaders from their tasks at the government.".

Then, when Emperor Xingzong died in 1055, his eldest son, Yelü Hongji ascendeded the throne. Unlike his father, he is not at the center of an inheritance crisis. While Ji Dian and Zhong Yuan are still alive and their influence could interfere with the succession process, none have moved. Even if his reign begins under good auspices, it is however in prey to internal conflicts between factions within his government, aggravated by the weakness of the emperor's generals. Manipulated by a rival minister, Daozong commits the first big mistake of his reign by ordering the execution of Xiao A La, one of his loyal ministers and close friend. The Liao History book speculates that if Xiao A La had not been executed two major incidents during the reign of Daozong could have been avoided. The first is the rebellion carried out in 1063. This year, several important members of the Yelü clan, led by the grandson of the emperor Shengzong, tried to assassinate Daozong during a hunting party. He was saved by the troops led by his mother, the Dowager Empress Ren Yi. All those who took part in the conspiracy were executed in vengeance, including the direct members of the imperial family. This purge of leaders reinforced the power of Chancellor Yelü Yixin and his ally Yelü Renxian, a military leader. When the latter died in 1072, Yelü Yixin began to consider the son of Daozong and future heir, Prince Jun, as the only threat against his accession to power. So he schemed a plan to eliminate Hingji. At first, he suppressed the emperor's wife, fabricating evidence that the latter had a relationship with a palace musician. Falling into Yelü Yixin's trap, Daozong ordered his wife to commit suicide. The conspirator then schemed a new plot to induce his own enemies to mount a coup to put Prince Jun on the throne in place of Daozong. While the emperor is not convinced at first, Yelü Yixin finally manages to convince him to exile his son by fabricating a false confession. Prince Jun was immediately exiled and Yelü Yixin sent assassins to eliminate the prince and his wife, in order to avoid his return and not to be discovered. The treachery of Yelü Yixin was finally discovered in 1079 when the latter tried to convince the emperor to leave the new heir to the palace during a hunting party. When other members of the court protested that the young man would be in mortal danger by staying near Yelü Yixin, the emperor finally understood the situation. In 1080, Yelü Yixin fell from his rank and sent to a position of low importance in the provinces. Shortly after, he was executed.

Aside from Yelü Yixin's conspiracy, the only notable event in Daozong's reign was a war between 1092 and 1102 between the Liao and a Mongol group, probably Tatars, known as the Zubu. The latter live near the northeast border of Liao territory and suffered several wars against the Liao when the latter tried to extend their influence in this direction. In 1092, the Liao attacked several other tribes in the northwest and in 1093 the Zubus attacked the Liao, managing to infiltrate far enough into the Khitans's lands. The Liao will wait 1100 to capture and kill Chief Zubu and another two years to defeat the last Zubu forces. The war against the Zubus constitutes the last successful military campaign waged by the Liao dynasty.

Liao Hongji.png

• 3Like
Reactions:
Another tip... don't absorb any clans unjustly unless you do it to all of them at once or something. The malus from all other clans lasts for fully 100 years. On the other hand, the bonus on a new clan split from yourself also lasts 100 years.

Basarab I (14th century) was a voivode (Military commander) & later the first independent ruler of Wallachia.
He became "disloyal to the Holy Crown of Hungary" in 1325 as he seized the Banate of Severin & raided the southern regions of the Kingdom of Hungary.

Soon after, Charles I of Hungary invaded Wallachia, but the Wallachians ambushed and almost annihilated the royal troops in the Battle of Posada, which occurred between 9 and 12 November 1330. The Battle of Posada ended Hungarian suzerainty in Wallachia, and the first independent Romanian principality was consequently founded. Basarab's descendants ruled Wallachia for at least two centuries. The region of Bessarabia, situated between the rivers Dniester and Prut, was named for the Basarab dynasty.

Basarab I 1.png

Mindaugas? Shouldn't be out by now?

edit. AAaand it is!

Last edited:
I still can't access any rulers past Kulin, on the Linux version.

The last patch (May 14 2020) added support for Linux to get access to the currently released rulers for the Monarch's Journey.
Bear in mind that the rulers for Linux won't be continuously updated however (nevertheless those unlocked will suffice to get all CK3 perks).

Mindaugas, 1203–1263, was the first known Grand Duke of Lithuania. Before him, the country was ruled by a number of dukes and princes presiding over various fiefdoms & tribes, while the southeast lands were challenged by the Tatars from the Mongol Empire.
Now generally considered the founder of the Lithuanian state, he is also credited with stopping the advance of the Tatars towards the Baltic Sea.

Mindaugas I.png

New Ruler Challenges: Grand Mayor Botstain of Gotland!
Starting tomorrow, Saturday 8 August, 1pm CEST.
Play our challenges & earn cosmetic add-ons for CK3!

MonarchsJourney16v2_FB_Twitter_etc.png

You've got one last chance to unlock special cosmetic items for CK3, by playing both Stefan the First-Crowned's Challenges and all previous Challenges in CK2, before September the 1st!
Does that mean that when CK3 releases the Monarch's Journey will be removed from CK2 and the cosmetics won't be obtainable anymore ?

CK2's Monarch's Journey will officially retire on the 2nd of September, once Crusader Kings III is released.
We are very thankful for the community, and players, who enjoyed our challenges!

You can still read the Rulers' stories in our thread about the Monarch's Journeys
We are also running regular mini-activities Stories of the World called "Did You Know?", "Where Are We?" and "Guess The Character" if you want to follow along :)

Reactions:
CK2's Monarch's Journey will officially retire on the 2nd of September, once Crusader Kings III is released.
We are very thankful for the community, and players, who enjoyed our challenges!

You can still read the Rulers' stories in our thread about the Monarch's Journeys
We are also running regular mini-activities Stories of the World called "Did You Know?", "Where Are We?" and "Guess The Character" if you want to follow along :)
Does that just mean we can't earn any more rewards, or the whole system will be shut down? The latter would be a shame, it's nice content. (It would be cool to have something like it in CK3 eventually as well)

• 6Like
Reactions:
Just to clarify the situation, the whole Monarch's Journey's challenges will be removed from Crusader Kings II.
Sorry to be the bearer of the news, it is what is is o_O

Reactions:
whoooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!

why? :oops:

I love Monarchs Journey!

PLEASE do not remove this!

I just preordered CKIII and thought I could unlock more clothings in CKII for CKIII.

Please reconsider this decision - its a great way to play this fantastic game!

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
It would be nice to hear the internal reasoning at least. I don't see why this (and even the past featured rulers' challenges) can't be an additional part of the game, even if there's no longer a reward for doing so.

• 3Like
Reactions: