• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Various other factors can also affect the Prosperity value of a province, many decisions and events which involve building things, deals with merchants, holding feasts and tournaments, and that kind of thing now also have a Prosperity increasing effect, typically in your capital if another province isn’t involved. For the Norse, there’s also an event which can trigger when a fleet returns with loot which gives the capital a small bonus.

And finally, there’s your Crown Focus. Independent rulers who are Dukes or higher, and of sufficient size can set one of their Demesne provinces to be their Crown Focus - somewhere the ruler is devoting more of their attention to, which causes an additional yearly increase in Prosperity. Further, if your Crown Focus province has achieved the maximum level of Prosperity there are some new beneficial events which can fire there. The Crown Focus is also the cause of the crowns seen on the map in some earlier screenshots, although we’re thinking of showing only your own Crown Focus icon to avoid map clutter.
View attachment 189037

That's all for now, but next week I'll mention the new Narrative events <secret DLC> will add.
Feasts and tournaments will then give prosperity to your capital only.
Would it not be nice if those events were held in a province that is your Crown Focus?

Reactions:
Will it be more gaining to raid or siege provinces, which are prospering? In my eyes it has to add something the other way?

The loot bar on a province is based on the tax income there, and a Prospering province has a tax bonus, so there's more loot. Other than that, there's just the satisfaction of de-Prospering them.

Reactions:
Various other factors can also affect the Prosperity value of a province, many decisions and events which involve building things, deals with merchants, holding feasts and tournaments, and that kind of thing now also have a Prosperity increasing effect, typically in your capital if another province isn’t involved. For the Norse, there’s also an event which can trigger when a fleet returns with loot which gives the capital a small bonus.

I liked this part

Reactions:
I think we'll scale them down, but I find it useful to see them on the map. And yes, conversions can be triggered by your Crown Focus.

Praise Jesus, Odin, and the Sun. Because right now converting yourself, your family, your vassals are all one thing entirely, all perfectly doable.

But to convert the provinces is entirely another thing. And to do it with no same religion or culture provinces in the area is just not gonna happen.

I too want to see it on the map that is the logical thing, just maybe not from space.

I notice that the event you get when your province prospers adds another holding.

Firstly if your province stops being prosperous does that holding then disappear with whatever was built on it? If so why would one ever want to use said holding when a random disease can cull it?

Secondly isn't there some bonus for you if the prospering already has 7 holdings?

I notice that the event you get when your province prospers adds another holding.

Firstly if your province stops being prosperous does that holding then disappear with whatever was built on it? If so why would one ever want to use said holding when a random disease can cull it?

Secondly isn't there some bonus for you if the prospering already has 7 holdings?

Read the event story. You was like "This place is sooo good" "I'll pay the money and remove this forest form here m8" -400 Gold +1 holding.

What do all these symbols on the map mean? There is a table with food, money bags all over the place, and a cart full of treasure. Are they all just different levels of prosperity?

Also - it'd be really cool if a mod made it so that pre-1066 starts had very little holdings slots, and more got added as time went on to simulate progression out of the dark ages. If a mod did that, then I might actually be incentivized to play 769 starts.

index.php

Reactions:
An interesting idea. Not sure I want to change it, but I'll think about it.
It's not really a big deal, but it would be a nice touch.

Reactions:
If a ruler gets into a war, will AI vassals raise their levies and try to keep enemies away from their own lands to stop prosperity loss? Even if they don't actively contribute to the war, a large duke could probably make it worthwhile to go after somebody else's counties.

Reactions:
@Darkrenown @Divine Does the scripted effect to add more holding slots that appear there also mean we will get a scripted effect to destroy holding slots? If the answer is no, can we get that added in?

Reactions:
Why would they just destroy the castle when the area becomes less prosperous? I don't think we should assume that's how it is going to happen.

Reactions:
Read the event story. You was like "This place is sooo good" "I'll pay the money and remove this forest form here m8" -400 Gold +1 holding.
I don't see how that makes my questions irrelevant. A forest which has been removed needs maintenance to not slowly spring back into forest. If the county is depopulated for instance (or just not prosperous since I take prosperous to also be overpopulated) then there might well not be those men to maintain it.
And the thing about already having 7 holdings still stands too.

Now you may say there always were people to maintain, to which I will say that it is believed that the first great man drowning in 1362 was able to do so much damage and eat so much land exactly due to depopulation from the black death leading to poor maintenance of the dikes. Here is a map of the eaten land. On the right is before the first great man drowning. On the left is after the second great man drowning which was in 1634. By far most of that land was eaten by the first.

JBAM_068.JPG

Reactions:
Why would they just destroy the castle when the area becomes less prosperous? I don't think we should assume that's how it is going to happen.
Not destroy on purpose. But it falling into ruin due to inadequate maintenance. Things can get to a really poor state fast without maintenance (if you are unlucky).
And the holding could be abandoned entirely if the population slump after the prosperity (again assuming it means overpopulation which is a reasonable assumption) is big enough.

Frankly I would really like it if the black death had a possibility of holdings getting destroyed during depopulation since in reality there were places (the marginal ones) which were entire abandoned.

Reactions:
I think if the holding will be empty and you get there depopulation etc. There may be an event for that.
But why not if it is built upon too? If the people living there are gone or mostly gone then it can crumble too.
And large forests can come really fast. There are Portuguese records of seeing loads of settlements (and fields too IIRC) along the American Eastern Seaboard in the early 1500s. When the English arrived a century later the populations had been decimated by disease and large forests had already conquered the large, cleared areas the Portuguese had seen.

Reactions: