• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
141 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello all, it’s time for another DD! Today I’m going to tell you about the Prosperity system, which is a <secret DLC> feature. Prosperity is rather like the opposite of Depopulation, which I have mentioned in previous DDs. In essence, provinces which have not been sieged, raided, or ravaged by disease for a long time will begin to Prosper, and gain certain bonuses- such as extra tax income and faster replenishment of levies.
focus.jpg

To go into a bit more detail, provinces will have a hidden value which increases every year based on things like random chance, the terrain of the province, the ruler’s stewardship, if the realm is at war, and if the province is the ruler’s Crown Focus. “Crown Focus? What’s that?” you ask? Well hold on, I’ll get to that soon. When this value hits certain thresholds the province receives a modifier and the owner is informed that the province is Prospering. If things continue to go well, there are up to 3 levels of Prosperity to be gained. On the other hand, if the province is sieged, sacked by raiders, or infected by an epidemic, the Prosperity level will be reduced. If a province is Depopulated, all Prosperity is wiped out.

Various other factors can also affect the Prosperity value of a province, many decisions and events which involve building things, deals with merchants, holding feasts and tournaments, and that kind of thing now also have a Prosperity increasing effect, typically in your capital if another province isn’t involved. For the Norse, there’s also an event which can trigger when a fleet returns with loot which gives the capital a small bonus.

And finally, there’s your Crown Focus. Independent rulers who are Dukes or higher, and of sufficient size can set one of their Demesne provinces to be their Crown Focus - somewhere the ruler is devoting more of their attention to, which causes an additional yearly increase in Prosperity. Further, if your Crown Focus province has achieved the maximum level of Prosperity there are some new beneficial events which can fire there. The Crown Focus is also the cause of the crowns seen on the map in some earlier screenshots, although we’re thinking of showing only your own Crown Focus icon to avoid map clutter.
Prosperity.jpg

That's all for now, but next week I'll mention the new Narrative events <secret DLC> will add.

Reactions:
Wow. when I heard there was going to be a new prosperity system I thought you'd be pretty much put something like CK2+'s rich/poor province modifiers and be done, but it looks like you've gone the whole major expansion feature on it. And that's awesome.

Reactions:
Bananas, only slightly anachronistic. Largely only grown in the Middle East during this time period.

Reactions:
You're Still going to be fixing Conclave right?

Reactions:
Those grain and fruit map icons look really out-of-place. Do they display constantly? Could you maybe limit them to a prosperity mapmode?

Reactions:
Reactions:
This sounds amazing, anything that can add holdings is going to be amazing. Fffff I've wanted something to add holdings for so long.

This really feels like how history worked following periods of plague.

Furthermore this will add a whole new level to war, a whole new level of stay away from that province guy.

But the crown is a bit big, but if I only get one or a few I could handle that.

But oh dear god those plates. I love the way the map and the cities, and the construction animations look in this game. And I get that we already have giant councilors walking around.

But I don't think that I'm going to care for those giant plates floating eerily above cities as the indicator. It just looks unnatural and cluttered, the grain is slightly better but still.

The enlarged crown meshes fine with the medieval map but the giant food doesn't imo.

The rest of it though just looks amazing. I really really hope that there is something related to culture or religion conversion with the crown focus though.

Reactions:
Looks really nice, my only concern is there seems to be an awful lot of 3d models now on the map for the provinces now. Seems like that could get very cluttered and very annoying quite quickly.

Reactions:
Looks amazing. Features linked to the economy/demography of the provinces were sorely missing. Just hoping it doesn´t drag down performance any further.

Reactions:
But oh dear god those plates. I love the way the map and the cities, and the construction animations look in this game. And I get that we already have giant councilors walking around.
The rest of it though just looks amazing. I really really hope that there is something related to culture or religion conversion with the crown focus though.

I think we'll scale them down, but I find it useful to see them on the map. And yes, conversions can be triggered by your Crown Focus.

Reactions:
would it be possible to represent prosperity by having little cart/boat graphics doing trade and have the rate be based on prosperity (with basically none in depopulated provinces?)

Reactions:
Ya know what would be cool.

Bring it down to the map level for the prosperity indicator. On scale to the cities, just repaint a certain portion of the provinces ground to look like prosperous farms. Or put like a smaller marketplace on the map maybe the same size, or a notch smaller than the construction crane.

Let it mesh with the city at the city scale.

Right now it reminds me of the independance day motherships, but just a table, entirely overshadowing an entire city.

Reactions: