• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary - The Rules of the Game

Well people, what do you know? I needed a break from the Stellaris crunch, so here’s an unscheduled dev diary! All the hubbub about Defensive Pacts and Shattered Retreats got me thinking about an old ambition I’ve had to improve the game set-up screens in order to allow players to customize their experience without having to resort to modding. The idea is inspired by games like Civilization and the Second Wave DLC for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which allow players to change various advanced options and settings for a different experience in the game. I really like such options and typically make good use of them myself.

Now, of course there is such a thing as “the way the game was meant to be played”. That is, how the designers made the game and like to play it themselves. However, variety is the spice of life, and after 11 Crusader Kings II expansions things are not as clear-cut anymore. It’s actually pretty funny that I’ve been using a small personal mod for CK2 for awhile myself. There are some downsides to modding and using mods though:
  • It requires awareness that it’s possible, and where to find existing mods. The modding scene is a jungle.
  • It takes a modicum of extra effort and skill.
  • It might not feel quite legitimate (it can feel a bit like cheating) and you might not get any Achievements.
  • Mods typically do not have the same level of support as the base game. Many become fossilized or are otherwise problematic.
For these reasons especially, I think that adding a bunch of Paradox-approved, fully supported in-game rule variations is a good idea. Thus, when you start a new game, you are now presented with several interesting options. Most of them are simple flavor variations, but some are more fundamental and will disable Achievements in Ironman mode. Here’s the list of options we are currently showing in the new screen (still a work in progress though):
  • Sandbox vs Ironman
  • Shattered Retreats: On/Off
  • Defensive Pacts: On/Off
  • Gender Equality: Default/Historical/All/Players
  • Sunset Invasion: 13th Century/Random/Off
  • Mongol Invasion: Historical/Random/Off
  • Raiding: Historical/Unrestricted/None
  • Epidemics: Dynamic/Historical/Deadly
  • “Supernatural” Events: On/Off
  • Adventurers: Normal/Rare/None
  • Provincial Revolts: Normal/Rare/None
  • Regencies: On/Off
  • De Jure Drift: Default/Restricted/Off
  • Dynamic Kingdoms and Empires: On/Off
  • Diplomatic Range: On/Off
Red options disable Achievements.

Crusader Kings II - Rules 01.jpg

Our new rule system is itself fully moddable, so that modders can use the same system with pretty much any options they might want!

Crusader Kings II - Rules 02.jpg

I look forward to your thoughts and comments. Are there any rule variations you think we’ve missed, or that you would really like to see?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Looks like a good idea. I especially like the option to make some features more harsh like historical gender equality and deadly epidemics. Turning mods/dlc's on or off can be a hassle. Can I make a suggestion though?

India region: On/off

Most of my campaigns have nothing to do with this region but my computer does have to simulate it every time. It would be nice to be able to turn the region off and make the game run faster.

Reactions:
Mods typically do not have the same level of support as the base game.
That's true. Many fix their bugs much more quickly.

Ha.
Sorry, couldn't resist ;) I like the idea(and obviously the cmt about mods is true. ... both ways ;p ). I'm perhaps a bit worried about game balance, but I suppose that's not quite the point of the update.

Reactions:
This is really great Doomdark.

Please keep adding stuff. What about an option that will make empire management harder only for the player (or both the AI and the player)? Things like reduced vassal limit, more threatening factions, reduced levies, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Seems very good.

Reactions:
I love this idea. You're right in that a lot of mods I only use to disable or tweak existing features, having these instead be changeable like this would eliminate a lot of the overhead.

Perhaps something for heresies.
Random (current implementation);
Semi-random (Cathars prefereably in Catalan/Languedoc areas etc.);
Full Historical (Only in historical areas and times).

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ooh, this is exciting! Could we also possibly get options for "Diplo-Assassination Button" and "Max Republic and Theocracy Vassals"?

Reactions:
Well, this is a surprise, today we have CK2 development diary. I thought guys/ladies decided not to do another one in till May, what does this mean for next week?

What other features are you planning?

Could you please give some love to CK2 convert and ruler designer?

Reactions: