• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #87 - Killing Spree

Greetings!

Today I’ll cover a minor feature of the upcoming Holy Fury expansion, the ‘Kill List’. The Kill List is, simply put, a list of everyone a character has killed and how they died. The list is accessed from a button in the character interface, in our example here we have a typical incarnation of Genghis Khan:
KillListDD_KillListButton.png

This button is visible on all characters, living or dead, and shows a list of all kills that are public knowledge (so you can’t see any secret kills a character might have). The list itself will open to the right of the character interface, and looks like this:
KillListDD_KillList.png

Now, while there aren’t many actual gameplay effects tied to this feature (save a few events) you might still feel inclined to become a murderous tyrant. If you so happen to kill more than 5 other characters, you will enter the Ledger - where the most depraved killers are listed at the top. For some reason, characters with a Reformed Pagan religion using the Bloodthirsty Gods doctrine tend to top the lists... more on that in the next Dev Diary!

KillListDD_KillListLedger.png

Add a new trait? "Bloodthirsty" + 10 relations with Cruel characters (respect for dread), + 5 with Craven (respect through fear) and - 20 with Kind characters (hatred for evil). You get it when you have killed 20 + characters. Think Ivan the Terrible and Genghis Khan. Miniature gameplay mechanic (opening the way for more in the future?) representing rule through fear, a long requested feature.

Achievement Idea:
Han shot first: As a character of Han culture you are the first character in the game who killed another landed character.

What I really would want is the ability for someone to investigate the death of a family member or courtier. You know so we can have good old fashioned blood feuds.

I love it.

Instead of this, can we FINALLY, for the love of all gods get a mechanics that would allow us to rule as a tyrant? Fear should be as good incentive for obedience as love and happines.

So next week will show the pagan reformation mechanic? I am completely happy with that.

Also I would like to see the changes to personal combat (which also hopefully means that personal combat is used more consequntly then it is now).

For some reason, characters with a Reformed Pagan religion using the Bloodthirsty Gods doctrine tend to top the lists... more on that in the next Dev Diary!
So I take it that in the next dev diary we will finally hear more about pagan reformations and doctrines. Finally! :) I can hardly wait for the next dev diary.

What do you think about adding a feature to write some notes for characters? Sometimes it is really difficult to remember which one should be killed and the reason why. Usually, I use notepad with pen, but it would be greater to see that feature in the game.

i always thought it would be nice to be able to edit this in the chronicles, that way you have an ongoing history of the realm

Is there going to be an achievement for killing a certain number of people? Fifty, perhaps?

If so, I have a feeling a lot of CK2 games are going to start looking like this.

Woohoo, it's a good feature because more than once I've sat back with a particular character and just wondered, jeez, I've murdered, duelled and just outright killed so many people. Then I'm stuck wondering if it was two dozen or three, so this is really cool.

Okay, now that we're keeping track of kills I can see a LOT of potential new achievements ere -
  • The aforementioned "Han shot First"
  • The aforementioned 300 kills
  • Killing all of members of a single dynasty
  • Wiping out one member of each religion/culture group
  • Killing X number of kids/imbeciles/women
  • killing X number of religious heads
The possibilities are endless !