• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings!

Once again we will scour the tomes in our cartographer’s office! In the last DD we visited the Baltics, in this one we’re heading further up north – to the land of the Finns, a land of a thousand lakes and bear-gods.

As for Finland, the main reason for us doing a map update was the poor definition in the area. Anyone who has moved armies in the region knows that the pathing, at the best of times, can be quite strange – with armies often taking massive detours to reach their destination. The main contributing factor to this was the massive size of the provinces, and that they were connected to each other in illogical ways. As you can see, almost all provinces in the area have been cut up rather significantly (its rather subtle, but what constitutes ‘Pohjanmaa’ in the new image is actually three Counties). The average power of the area has not gone up significantly though, with most Counties containing at most two holdings (some even contain only one). What has gone up though is the enjoyment while playing in the area!

FinlandComparison.png

Credit, once again, goes to [Arthur-PDX]!

Code:
- Map Update to Finland
    - 8 new provinces in Finland, improving mobility and spread noticeably in the area
    - 2 new duchies in Finland (Ostrobothnia and Savonia)
    - 1 new province in Lapland, in the duchy of Kola

Please note that the time between Dev Diaries will be irregular, as we’re very early in the development cycle.

Nice, could we maybe get a 'county view' of the new map? It is somewhat unclear to me where for example the new county in the duchy of Kola is (there seems to be a demarcation line near the bay in both screenshots).

Maybe next the DLC will be focused on Pagans in East Europe and the Northern Crusade?

Maybe next the DLC will be focused on Pagans in East Europe and the Northern Crusade?
I believe it was stated how devs are deliberately showing us areas which don't actually have anything to do with the upcoming expansion.

I believe it was stated how devs are deliberately showing us areas which don't actually have anything to do with the upcoming expansion.
I would believe that, if only they didn't focus on one area.

I'm not exactly a historian, but here are some thoughts anyway.
- About half of the land that would be considered to be part of Häme has been given to the duchy of Savo. I get that it's to keep the two duchies similar in size, but it looks just wrong.
- It also looks wrong to have these counties of Pohjanmaa and Uusimaa, when the actual names refer to larger areas. Were there no suitable, more local names to give to these counties?

Last edited:
Joensuu and Kuopio should switch places as Joensuu is east of Kuopio.

I find Karelian setup somewhat weird. Why Sortavala is the name of the duchy when both Käkisalmi (on the Novgorodian side) and Viipuri (on the Swedish side) were more important? To simulate the border correctly Viipuri and Käkisalmi should be separate provinces.

If you need accurate names for locations, then here is a zoomable map which shows all places where medieval documents concerning Finland were produced during the Middle Ages. Its value is that, it shows quite well which were most important Finnish towns, castles and churches during the Finnish middle ages.
http://df.narc.fi/places/

I'm not exactly a historian, but here are some thoughts anyway.
- About half of the land that would be considered to be part of Häme has been given to the duchy of Savo. I get that it's to keep the two duchies similar in size, but it looks just wrong.
These are the political borders, not the de jure ones. Though I suppose it's possible that they overlap.

Joensuu and Kuopio should switch places as Joensuu is east of Kuopio.

I find Karelian setup somewhat weird. Why Sortavala is the name of the duchy when both Käkisalmi (on the Novgorodian side) and Viipuri (on the Swedish side) were more important? To simulate the border correctly Viipuri and Käkisalmi should be separate provinces.

If you need accurate names for locations, then here is a zoomable map which shows all places where medieval documents concerning Finland were produced during the Middle Ages. Its value is that, it shows quite well which were most important Finnish towns, castles and churches during the Finnish middle ages.
http://df.narc.fi/places/
Sortavala's ruler is just a count, that's not a duchy-tier realm.

As always I am pleased to see the map becoming more refined, especially so in the more underdeveloped parts of it.

most Counties containing at most two holdings (some even contain only one).

Does they have enough de jure Baronies (at least seven for each one)? If so, player can add new holding slot for them, through prosperity.

Here is an example for Jamtland:
Before:
53a4be1bb051f8192da0d7fdd3b44aed2f73e733.jpg

After (well, I admit that my imagination is so poor):
a7a77f8b4710b912a00d2249cafdfc03904522eb.jpg

Awesome, I hope they brush up Norriki (Lapland) next, and could you guys please fix that by default the adjective for the kingdom of Norriki is lappish it bothers me. All in all 11/10

Ps. I know Norriki is just lapland controlled by a nord but still

So the rumors that you guys are finnishing the game are true, then. I'm looking forward to a new beninning for the CK series.

We may not be looking at a "Northern" expansion.

Remember the huge Western Asia rework came in an expansion about China/Tibet and zero content was added to Muslims.