• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings!

Once again we will scour the tomes in our cartographer’s office! In the last DD we visited the Baltics, in this one we’re heading further up north – to the land of the Finns, a land of a thousand lakes and bear-gods.

As for Finland, the main reason for us doing a map update was the poor definition in the area. Anyone who has moved armies in the region knows that the pathing, at the best of times, can be quite strange – with armies often taking massive detours to reach their destination. The main contributing factor to this was the massive size of the provinces, and that they were connected to each other in illogical ways. As you can see, almost all provinces in the area have been cut up rather significantly (its rather subtle, but what constitutes ‘Pohjanmaa’ in the new image is actually three Counties). The average power of the area has not gone up significantly though, with most Counties containing at most two holdings (some even contain only one). What has gone up though is the enjoyment while playing in the area!

FinlandComparison.png

Credit, once again, goes to [Arthur-PDX]!

Code:
- Map Update to Finland
    - 8 new provinces in Finland, improving mobility and spread noticeably in the area
    - 2 new duchies in Finland (Ostrobothnia and Savonia)
    - 1 new province in Lapland, in the duchy of Kola

Please note that the time between Dev Diaries will be irregular, as we’re very early in the development cycle.

Amazing update :D This will certainly add a lot to immersion, that area now feels like it is poor and you can't really do something about it.
But now, you will have more space to make it some what richer.

I hope that Rus and Ruthenia will be next (perhaps Pannonnia too, Upper Hungary and Bohemia) ^^

Last edited:
The map did not look bad before 2.8 but all the changes for the Middle East and now for the Northeastern Europe look soo great (politically, geographically and gameplay-wise) that I really hope the CK2 development will not stop before we will see every remaining area reworked.

Finland is still going to be insignificant in CKII (and that's how it should be), but at least it's going to look nice. :p

I wonder what we will see next being improved, square provinces of Rus, weird Scandinavian provinces and duchies, Ural, Bohemia or Northern Germany?

The map did not look bad before 2.8 but all the changes for the Middle East and now for the Northeastern Europe look soo great (politically, geographically and gameplay-wise) that I really hope the CK2 development will not stop before we will see every remaining area reworked.

tenor.gif

Since all map re-work up until now (Poland, the Baltics and now Finland) focus North-Eastern Europe, I would be very glad if we could see a spatial connection between the reworked Middle-East and the said area: namely the Steppes. Its provinces mostly are huge and those provinces' borders are not very pleasing asthetic-wise. I know that it would be a tremendous amount of work, but once you consider to redo Russia, maybe (please :) ) move east and south for further map-improvings.
Because I have to agree - all I have seen so far in these three DD looks great!

Please, keep the map upgrades coming. I'd love to see most of the map reworked like the Middle East before the end of CK2 development life.

Also, please give love to North Africa.
Every time I go to sleep the shapes of Moroccan provinces haunt me in my dreams.