• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #79 - Beautifying the Baltics

Greetings!

Work is progressing splendidly on the upcoming expansion, alas it is still much too early to start talking about any of its many features. Instead, we’ll continue our tour of the cartographer's office.

As I mentioned in the last Dev Diary we’re working our way through some of the more neglected areas of the map - primarily (but not exclusively) focusing our efforts on areas that weren’t that interesting to play in. This time around we’re teasing the upcoming changes to the Baltics, primarily based on tribes that populated the region before the Northern Crusades, again courtesy of [Arthur-PDX]. This time I thought of providing you with a side-by-side comparison, so you can see the changes for yourselves, without having to boot up the game:
Baltics Update.png

Code:
- Map Update to the Baltics
       - Major overhaul to the Baltic region (mostly encompassing the Kingdom of Lithuania's DeJure territory)
      - (Major) river Daugava moved and reshaped a bit for more accuracy
       - Minor river crossings in Lithuania reshaped for more accuracy
      - 7 provinces added to enhance pre-Livonian Order flavour
       - New duchy of Latgale added
      - All old provinces in the DeJure Lithuanian Kingdom's territory have been reshaped for more historical & cultural accuracy
      - New kingdom of Estonia, formable by holding the duchies of Estonia and the new duchy of Kalava

Please note that the time between Dev Diaries will be irregular, as we’re very early in the development cycle.

Have you done something about Bohemia?

No more good looking borders in East Prussia :(
Seconding this. Can Galindia/Sudovia border be pushed back where the old Galindia/Yatvyagi border was?

Yes, yes! Hopefully this makes Estonian invasion of Finland less common; seeing Estonian Kingdom of Finland is kind of odd.

I love it! I liked the region and now I will like it more.

It's very nice seeing the attention to historical detail, especially for older time periods.

I'd be very surprised if Africa didn't get at least some attention in the great map update. And also very disappointed.
Or we'll have to wait for a DLC focused on Africa (or around this part of the world. But I hope it will be taken care of at some point for sure.

However, I also like the Baltic region so I'm glad it receives attention too.

This is really nice to see. Hopefully whatever else is in the works helps capitalize on the greater density for a more interesting Eastern Europe. I don't think I've ever seen a large and interesting Lithuania form, or Teutonic order ;)

Or we'll have to wait for a DLC focused on Africa (or around this part of the world. But I hope it will be taken care of at some point for sure.

However, I also like the Baltic region so I'm glad it receives attention too.

North Africa is in such a bad place, you can't fault someone for getting a little desperate seeing map reworks!