• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #79 - Beautifying the Baltics

Greetings!

Work is progressing splendidly on the upcoming expansion, alas it is still much too early to start talking about any of its many features. Instead, we’ll continue our tour of the cartographer's office.

As I mentioned in the last Dev Diary we’re working our way through some of the more neglected areas of the map - primarily (but not exclusively) focusing our efforts on areas that weren’t that interesting to play in. This time around we’re teasing the upcoming changes to the Baltics, primarily based on tribes that populated the region before the Northern Crusades, again courtesy of [Arthur-PDX]. This time I thought of providing you with a side-by-side comparison, so you can see the changes for yourselves, without having to boot up the game:
Baltics Update.png

Code:
- Map Update to the Baltics
       - Major overhaul to the Baltic region (mostly encompassing the Kingdom of Lithuania's DeJure territory)
      - (Major) river Daugava moved and reshaped a bit for more accuracy
       - Minor river crossings in Lithuania reshaped for more accuracy
      - 7 provinces added to enhance pre-Livonian Order flavour
       - New duchy of Latgale added
      - All old provinces in the DeJure Lithuanian Kingdom's territory have been reshaped for more historical & cultural accuracy
      - New kingdom of Estonia, formable by holding the duchies of Estonia and the new duchy of Kalava

Please note that the time between Dev Diaries will be irregular, as we’re very early in the development cycle.

Estonia is a new small kingdom, with DeJure duchies of d_estonia (which was there before, although it's been retouched a bit now) and d_kalava (which is a new one)

Arthur

Small thing, but shouldn't it be d_kaleva, given that that is the correct spelling?

Besides that olm, posted a good guideline for with the pre-Crusade map.

Will Bohemia get a bit of help? I think the big problem is that it is starting to feel far too weak compared to its neighbours. While I realise not all counties are created equal and that Bohemia has some nice counties, It seems though that other states are a bit too powerful. Afterall all counties can be fully upgraded to have 9 holdings. I dont know what would be a good number but maybe increase Bohemia or Moravia or both with 1 county each?

Will Bohemia get a bit of help? I think the big problem is that it is starting to feel far too weak compared to its neighbours. While I realise not all counties are created equal and that Bohemia has some nice counties, It seems though that other states are a bit too powerful. Afterall all counties can be fully upgraded to have 9 holdings. I dont know what would be a good number but maybe increase Bohemia or Moravia or both with 1 county each?
Already discussed at length under the previous Dev Diary, why don't you go there?)

Well done, Paradox!
Are you keeping in mind that it would be perfect if shape of provinces (or their numbers) will be same or very similar to EU IV maps? You know, due converter...
That is only one point of view. I think the primary factor for shaping CK2 provinces should be that they are compatible with the game's timeline and that is little different from EUIV era.

Nice but i'd love to see the dejure of the region. More specifically is Estonia still a part of Finland and is Livonia still a part of Lithuania? Oh and is memel and zematija still in the same duchy?

Edit: Turns out reading is a great thing

- New kingdom of Estonia, formable by holding the duchies of Estonia and the new duchy of Kalava

Last edited:
Hope to see some changes to Norway in this expansion. 2-3 more provinces on the west coast with the same size/density as the east coast to signify how important this area was compared to the eastern part of Norway.

Naumadal split into
Naumdælfylki (Northern part, could contain parts of Hålogaland)
Strindafylki (Move "Bishiopric of Nidaros and "Nidaros city" here)
Nidaros split into (And "Bishopric of Nidaros" and "Trondheim city" itself removed from this location as mentioned above)
Raumsdælafylki (north part)
Firdafylki (south part)​

Bergenshus split into
Sygnafylki (north part)
Hordafylki (south part)

Not want to be mean, but it looks a bit more like Uglifying the Baltics.

Eh, somewhat more gorey but it still cannot beat the sheer uggo levels of the EU4 Baltics.

Won't all these new provines affect game performance?
Depends how many they end up adding. So far they've only enhanced Poland and the Baltics, but I think this update tries to fix many places of the map.
But in the end, unless they decide to add central Sahara there shouldn't be nearly any difference in game performance with a couple more provinces. And the newer updates have had a tendency to increase the game speed.

Won't all these new provines affect game performance?

I image not by as much as you are thinking of.

Crusader Kings 2 in-game already have dozens upon dozens of holding to handle. A few more, ~8 in latvia, won't affect the overall performance as say "adding all of India in".

That is just my guess.

Teutonic order
Speaking of which does anyone ever see them landed in the correct part of the world, myself if they get landed they seem to always be landed by Sweden in Finland.
Sweden. And it's called Ingermanland.
It might belong to some finnish duchy, at any rate it should be some denomination of fennougric culture and part of a fenno-ugric duchy. I'll be fine spo lone as they don't give it to novgorod or some such nonsense.
Well done, Paradox!
That is only one point of view. I think the primary factor for shaping CK2 provinces should be that they are compatible with the game's timeline and that is little different from EUIV era.
But since the eu4 start date of 1444 is in ck2s timeline those aren't mutually exclusive goals.
Hope to see some changes to Norway in this expansion. 2-3 more provinces on the west coast with the same size/density as the east coast to signify how important this area was compared to the eastern part of Norway.

Naumadal split into
Naumdælfylki (Northern part, could contain parts of Hålogaland)
Strindafylki (Move "Bishiopric of Nidaros and "Nidaros city" here)
Nidaros split into (And "Bishopric of Nidaros" and "Trondheim city" itself removed from this location as mentioned above)
Raumsdælafylki (north part)
Firdafylki (south part)​

Bergenshus split into
Sygnafylki (north part)
Hordafylki (south part)
Are those going to be 1 holding ones then? Because the last thing scandinavia needs is more holdings.

An excellent facelift!

Are those going to be 1 holding ones then? Because the last thing scandinavia needs is more holdings.

I ain't no math genius, but I imagine it would be a simple matter of rearranging holdings from all around Norway for example. Eastern Norway is a bit heavy on the holding front, western Norway is too light. We wouldn't want them rock dwellers growing too powerful! ;)

The additional provinces should be there to reflect the terrain and geographic distances as well. It should take a long time to "walk" down the west coast of Norway, so using ships is the way to go.