• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #70: The Art of the East

Hi everyone!

Today I thought I’d talk a bit about the new art and music in Jade Dragon. If you’ve been following the development, you’ve probably noticed some of it already. Obviously, there are a lot of new icons, window frames and other interface bling. Most of this is the work of the inestimable Bjarne Hallberg, our main artist on Crusader Kings II.

tibet_holdings_all.jpg

Tibetan Holdings

CK2_CoA_examples.jpg

A selection of Chinese Coats of Arms

As usual, there are also 15 new event pictures. This time, they were created by two external studios; “5518” and “Volta”. If you look carefully, you should be able to notice that the style is slightly different.

diplomatic_success.png

china_golden_age.png

mongols_invades.png

Then there are, of course, the fantastic new portraits by Deric “Crackdtoothgrin” North, and it’s not just one set, but two! Included in Jade Dragon are both his Tibetan and Chinese portraits, and I’ve got to say I think it’s some of his finest work.

Tibetan_Portraits.png

Tibetan Portraits

Chinese Portraits.png

Chinese Portraits

Also included in the expansion is 10 minutes of Chinese themed music from Studio Audinity (composed by Yannick Süß and Robin Birner.) The music sounds great; check out our livestreams for a listen!

That’ll have to do it for today, stay safe!

Seriously, for so many years I've often launched a game with the intent to play as Dunhuang, but never went through because of the lack of interest in the region... And can't wait for the DLC to be in my library.

I hope CK3 doesn't happen. Given Paradox's track record they should just sell the IP to CA or Firaxis. I have more confidence in them than Paradox at this point.

I don't even know what to really say to you.

Except that CA, I am assuming you meant creative assembly right?, and Firaxis have a completely difference way of doing things.

They are both strategy turn-based for the most part with CA doing real-time tactic battles.

Whereas all of Paradox Titles, at least made in-house, are real-time based. There is no "turn" for likes of CK2. It would be a FREAKING huge endeavor to just convert all of the rules/stuff over to turn-base. Nevermind that all 3 studio use their own unique in-house game engines.

That said.

index.php

I was wondering is that middle one with ruined foundation supposed to be something? I can immediate guess all other holding portrait means except for that one.

Attributed CoA for a culture with no equivalent of CoA whatsoever is guaranteed to get weird...Hopefully there won't be China nor India in CK3.

The inclusion of the entirety of Euroasia is a long-term goal for PDS as far as everyone is concerned.

I was wondering is that middle one with ruined foundation supposed to be something? I can immediate guess all other holding portrait means except for that one.

Though it's extremely rare to see in-game, settlements can be ruined (Vikings destroying every building in it is one way for it to happen I think). I guess this is the Tibetan image for it.

The inclusion of the entirety of Euroasia is a long-term goal for PDS as far as everyone is concerned.

Though it's extremely rare to see in-game, settlements can be ruined (Vikings destroying every building in it is one way for it to happen I think). I guess this is the Tibetan image for it.
I was hoping for Eurafracia myself

Leaked image of Chinese on-map counselor.
364215_1265865869588_257_350.jpg

I hope CK3 doesn't happen. Given Paradox's track record they should just sell the IP to CA or Firaxis. I have more confidence in them than Paradox at this point.

I don't have any interest in CA & Firaxis. The only reason CK2 is so widely successful isn't because of its gameplay and challenge, it's because of its sandbox, and role-play qualities.

Both Total War and Civilization are far more successful than any of Paradox's games.

CA and PDS did their games in the same periods and most people here are fans of PDS ones, not CA's. Civilization is not even the same genre, and I don't see its approach work at all in these games.
In other words, doesn't matter that they are more successful. What makes them successful is something that great many of us here don't care about.

Attributed CoA for a culture with no equivalent of CoA whatsoever is guaranteed to get weird...Hopefully there won't be China nor India in CK3.
Aww, why do people need to keep stepping on India when talking about China? India's not THAT complicated like China.

Leaked Tibetan on-map Marshall
tumblr_m1h477FuS51qhbz3do1_500.gif

That's taking it a bit too far, but you're on the right track. Ideally I'd get Blizzard to make CK3.
I'd get Blizzard to make the character portraits.

Crusader Waifus 2: Tracer's ass boogaloo

Reinhardt, the Emperor of the Holy Reinhardt Empire, declares crusade against the Amari Caliphate.