• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #66: Quality of Life

Good afternoon. I’m Magne “Meneth” Skjæran, programmer on CK2, and I’ve once more been let out of my cage to write a dev diary for you guys. In the past I’ve written diaries about modding, optimization, quality of life, and some filler diaries over the summer, and today I’m returning to one of those topics: quality of life.

Back in 2.7, we added a number of quality of life improvements, which I had the honor of writing the dev diaries about. These changes proved hugely popular, so we thought we’d try to repeat it for 2.8. Our first step towards this was the Rally Points feature that will be included in Jade Dragon, but we decided to also add a bunch of free functionality.
So without further ado, let’s get started.
image5.png

If you’ve ever had multiple artifacts of the same type, you have almost certainly felt the tedium involved in replacing an equipped artifact. First you had to unequip it, and only then could you equip something else into the slot.
We’ve simplified this by making “Equip” available even if a slot is filled; it’ll simply unequip whatever is in the slot first to make room. For mods that have slots that can take more items than one, it’ll unequip the first item it finds that uses that slot.

Another common frustration with artifacts is that the amazing weapon you just spent a fortune on can simply randomly disappear during succession. We’ve now eliminated destruction on succession for all equipped artifacts. Only artifacts that aren’t equipped now have a chance of being destroyed. Note that this does not apply when artifacts are inherited by a character’s liege as a last resort; then even equipped artifacts can perish.

One last frustration with regards to artifact is that upon succession, your heir just ignores what you had equipped, and instead what they already had equipped takes precedence. We’ve now changed this so that your heir will attempt to equip anything you had equipped, unequipping their own equipment if necessary to make room.

Now let’s move onto a different topic: the character screen.
I’m afraid it still looks the same, but we’ve made it slightly nicer to work with.
image3.png
First of all, when you select a landed character, their realm will get glowing borders on the map, making it much easier to tell where that quarrelsome duke is actually located.
image4.png

Further, we’ve long had a variety of status icons. Back in 2.7, we made the “prison” icon take you to whoever is keeping the character captive. We’ve now applied the same idea to a few other status icons:
  • Job action: This will now pan to where the councillor is performing the action
  • Guardian: This will now take you to the guardian’s character screen
  • Leading troops: This will now pan to the army in question, and select it if it is one of yours
  • The character portrait itself: If you click the character you’ve selected once more, you’ll now pan to their location
image6.png

One brand-new addition to the character screen is the “Restrict Marriage” checkbox. Some of you may have already seen this on last week’s stream.
For your children and grandchildren, you can now choose to disable the marriage AI so that they don’t get into marriages you don’t want. However, note that they may still marry by event, so you better not wait too long to arrange a proper marriage.
To help you do that, you can now also arrange marriages on their behalf as long as “Restrict Marriage” can be enabled.
Since this is an incredibly powerful tool, it does come with some restrictions. First of all, it can only be used on your children and grandchildren.
Second, they have to be your vassals or below, or courtiers in your court or that of a vassal or below.
Third, they cannot have been landed for more than 10 years. After being landed for such a long time they no longer accept their parent or grandparent interfering with their marriage.

Overall, this removes one of the big reasons why players often refrain from landing their children, and provides the control you need to ensure the continued greatness of your dynasty.
image1.png

We’ve also added the line of succession to every title screen, showing you who stands to inherit, instead of having to search for the characters based on the title’s tooltip.

Note that this art is not final; it’s simply an example of my amazing programmer art.
image2.png

Finally, we have one last change: The Proselytize council action has been made easier to use. It now highlights provinces of the wrong religion in blue, and puts what religion it is in the tooltip if you hover over it. Foreign rulers that you can convert are now also highlighted in red.
This system can also be used by modders to define any color scheme they want based on the target province and the ruler ordering the job action.

That’s all for today. If you have other ideas for quality of life improvements we would be happy to hear them, but we cannot promise that we will have the time to implement any of them in 2.8.

To help you do that, you can now also arrange marriages on their behalf as long as “Restrict Marriage” can be enabled.

Thank the gods for that! But If I could make obe suggestions to improve that: Also let me name the kids of my children and grandchildren in their own courts or courts they are in. I don't wanna kill my genius strong grandgrandson again because he has the wrong name.

The "Restrict Marriage" interaction is nice, but there are a couple of changes to it that would be nice to have accessible (for modding purposes, at least):

- The ability to set up new marriages/prevent AI marriages for a year or so after the death of a spouse. Having the ability to prevent marriages forever is of course extremely exploitable, so cutting the time limit entirely would probably be bad (though the ability to tweak that through modding would also be nice, and could work instead of a small window on spouse death), but it would be rather annoying if someone's spouse dies (for any reason) after the ten year deadline and the AI makes a questionable choice when picking the next spouse.

- The ability to control all marriages down the (gender/succession law-appropriate) primary line for any number of generations. If you have a child before 20 who has a child before 20, that grandchild could very well have children that reach marriageable age before you die, and those marriages could be quite important to have control over due to them possibly ending up as your heirs or as valuable people to marry off for alliances.

Speaking of marriage, when playing norse pagan and reaching king title you would often find it difficult to marry with other norse pagans. Because of political opinion rulers wont allow it and often forces you to marry to a lower noble or to a nomad in the far east where you have no politcal power. It would be more reasonable for a weaker AI to arraigne marraige with a stronger ruler to defend their own demense.

Not sure if this has been said yet, and I don't have the time currently to read through everything, but what about when you click on the arrow button or whatever on the character interaction screen, to go to their location, maybe the province they are at could also flash real quick or something, or maybe even light up permanently until you click somewhere else? I often find it rather annoying where I want to quickly go find where someone is and then realise it doesn't help me because I'm zoomed out too far, and have to zoom in and click again or read exactly which province they are at and find it.

But marriages isn't quite a reason, why people don't land their sons... Well, from my example as a viking ruler with sun invasion on: I landed my son, and 3 month later he was captured and sacrificed by aztecs. Because of this kind of scenarios you never land your sons.
It's not the only reason, but it is definitely a reason.

Here's the biggest QoL improvement that I can think of that I would absolutely love to have: Pop-ups that would put the newest pop-up on the bottom of the stack, instead of on top of any pop-up that is already present, and that the player might be interacting with.
I'll look into whether that's feasible. No promises.

Could you make it so that in the diplomacy map it shows all the possible non-aggression pacts and alliances.
You mean showing which characters would accept a NAP or alliance offer?
Might result in the diplomacy map getting too cluttered; not sure.

In the inherritagescreen, when hovering over your current laws of inherritage, it doesn't tell what they mean - there are only descriptions on those you can change to.
It would be nice to be able to see what your actual law was about, if you cannot remember it by heart...
upload_2017-9-11_13-0-27.png

Is there something missing here?

Any chance of some sort of quick way to jump straight to a title history screen ? Often times i stop the action to see what the world has gotten up to while I was busy, it can be a pain right clicking on provinces to bring up the realm holder then multiple clicks to get the title to find out just when the last holder died.
Neat idea, but we're using so many modifier keys already for provinces that it might get too cluttered.
Also let me name the kids of my children and grandchildren in their own courts or courts they are in. I don't wanna kill my genius strong grandgrandson again because he has the wrong name.
The main issue is that this could quickly get very spammy. Imagine you've got half a dozen kids, and they each have half a dozen more kids. You'd get so many naming events.

Thank the gods for that! But If I could make obe suggestions to improve that: Also let me name the kids of my children and grandchildren in their own courts or courts they are in. I don't wanna kill my genius strong grandgrandson again because he has the wrong name.
I think a better solution for this would be the ability to take a regnal name or whatever, where you could take the name of your father for example, if that is what you want for example. This would also solve the name thing when your preferred heir dies or doesn't actually inherit and instead you get some other character who you never intended to play.

I like those changes, especially the status icons one.

Could it be possible to display how many troops do we contribute to our liege as a vassal ? (we only know how many our vassals are giving us)

I was wondering would it be possible to name artifacts that we created ourselves similar to how famous weapons and jewelry from the Tolkien and Martin novels were given specific names?

First of all, when you select a landed character, their realm will get glowing borders on the map, making it much easier to tell where that quarrelsome duke is actually located.
This is easily my favourite thing. Til now it's been such a faff trying to find where the Count of Arseendofnowhere lives!

Does the Equipped artifact being preserved thing apply in any other situations? Always a bit weird when the Vatican somehow loses Saint Peter because the Pope died.

Also, is there anything planned for Muslim and Theocratic (and guessing Monastic Feudal with Jade Dragon) governments to not spam Temples all the time?

And finally, can you have it ask to confirm whenever an ally asks you to join a war? Broke so many Truces I had no plans of breaking because it popped up just when I was least expecting it.

Here's the biggest QoL improvement that I can think of that I would absolutely love to have: Pop-ups that would put the newest pop-up on the bottom of the stack, instead of on top of any pop-up that is already present, and that the player might be interacting with.
Yes, please. For example, it's annoying that when you die, the actual dialog about that event is at the bottom of all the follow-up dialogs.

1 - Register previous advisors' order as default.

2 - Make a button to select a default "way of life" education choice. ( for the first one of life at least with by default heritance set after 2 years )

3 - Fix filters in family tree so they properly work. (it does nothing for me)
or
4 - Second click on dynasty map mode should show your dynasty's locations.

5 - Oh and fix spaming commander demands from your liege while giving the opportunity to ask to become a commander. ( just because of how many times i've opened the popup)

More equipments, more information to differenciate dominicains order and benedict order, more events relatives to pillaging/sieging...

Last edited:
The main issue is that this could quickly get very spammy. Imagine you've got half a dozen kids, and they each have half a dozen more kids. You'd get so many naming events.

Maybe it's possible to make this toggleable?

How about an option to search for artifacts in the search character screen?

Make it for interesting landed relatives only then ir a game rule. I need this!

Another common frustration with artifacts is that the amazing weapon you just spent a fortune on can simply randomly disappear during succession. We’ve now eliminated destruction on succession for all equipped artifacts. Only artifacts that aren’t equipped now have a chance of being destroyed. Note that this does not apply when artifacts are inherited by a character’s liege as a last resort; then even equipped artifacts can perish.
This way you will never lose your best stuff since you'll always be using them. I would much prefer if the chance that it disappeared was instead based on how old it is, any chance it'll be moddable?

How about organizing traits into two rows, with personality traits in the second one.
Or just a button you could press to bring up a scrollable list of all your traits and modifiers. Sometimes they get very cluttered.