• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #62: News from China

Greetings!

Last week I talked about how we’re adding China to the world of Crusader Kings II without actually extending the map any farther. When you are playing in the Orient, you would be wise to remember the “Divine Land” to the east. Indeed, from time to time, you will be getting tidings about the situation in China so that you can plan accordingly. China has a Status and a Policy. The latter rarely changes except when a new emperor ascends to the Dragon Throne (or when the Western Governorate either wins or loses a major war.) By far the most common Policy is “Open”, which means it’s business as usual; China is open to trade and the Silk Road is active. Moreover, the emperor is interested in maintaining the tributary system and in conducting diplomacy with the barbarian periphery. However, some Chinese administrations favor a “Closed” Policy. At such times, the Silk Road will be shut down and the emperor will not deal with foreign rulers. Neither will China attempt any form of military adventures beyond its borders. Lastly, and most rarely, China may adopt an “Expansionist” Policy. This is a time of great peril for rulers near the Chinese border, who would be well advised to swallow their pride and kowtow to the emperor, accepting tributary status before the Western Governorate is expanded with extreme force...

DDJurchens.png

Chinese Policy should be seen as a political stance, but China also has a “Status”, which is beyond the emperor’s control. For example, China can be struck by famine, plague, unrest, Civil Wars and invasions by Mongols and Jurchens, and it can also sometimes experience a “Golden Age”. All of these states have an impact on China’s behavior and on the Silk Road. For example, if China suffers from famine, income from the Silk Road is drastically lowered, and players should watch out for the conclusion to a Chinese Civil War or Altaic invasion; it is not unheard of for a displaced dynasty or losing faction to seek refuge in the West… More on that in a later dev diary. I believe that will do it for today. Next week we’ll go into details about how you interact with China and what’s in it for you!

These mechanics make China look like US nowadays, or even stronger, it looks like they could easily conquer huge chunk of world while being in expansionist mindset. Troubles in China make whole silk road weaker. It's the power that influences not only far east, but even the Middle East. So I wonder... How strong was China in medieval period compared to let's say Byzantine Empire. Should Byzantine Empire also be able to shake decent chunk of map with its decisions?

That doesn't count baron-tier vassals though does it? She might just have one county.

Probably just a default set up, that's clearly a 1066 start a few months in. A small kingdom with no counts and dukes is not unheard of, no data to put them. Makes creating titles and vassals a pain.

Seems like playing near China will be interesting.

But it's also kinda sad, I always dreamed about something like this for HRE/ERE in Europe so that Emperors mean something more than just being a King with a fancier hat.

Like for example with next expansion you will read events about chinese bureaucracy while you yourself have a viceroy system without any unique events or so ; d

This really feels very weird. Like a mechanic from a completely different kind of game. Far more abstract one, more like Civilization than typical Paradox.

These mechanics make China look like US nowadays, or even stronger, it looks like they could easily conquer huge chunk of world while being in expansionist mindset. Troubles in China make whole silk road weaker. It's the power that influences not only far east, but even the Middle East. So I wonder... How strong was China in medieval period compared to let's say Byzantine Empire. Should Byzantine Empire also be able to shake decent chunk of map with its decisions?
The Byzantine Empire lost a lot of power and wealth after permanently loosing Egypt and the Oriens to the Caliphate in the 7th century. In consequence to that development it lost a lot of the influence it had up until then and was merely a shadow of its former self. This changed the way it functioned with the adoption of the Themata system, and meant that latter expansion in the Middle East would be highly dependant on the Caliphate's doings. I don't think their status should be equalled to that of China in this corner of the map, given that they were no longer a Mediterranean superpower. Prior to that is a different story, but it doesn't concern vanilla CK2.

The Byzantine Empire lost a lot of power and wealth after loosing Egypt and the Oriens to the Caliphate in the 7th century. Basically at that point it lost a lot of the influence and was merely a shadow of its former self. This changed the way it functioned with the Themata system, and meant that latter expansion in the Middle East would be highly dependant on Muslim doings.

I think Paradox overestimates the cyclical nature of China though. For instance Chinese influence in the western regions didn't pick up again after the Tang dynasty until way into the modern era. Also the only "refugee army" that left China for the west that I know of is the Khitan migration.

At one point they obtained silk worms and began producing themselves from what I understand. I'm not sure when they started though. That said if you mean the silk road, it traded more than just silk.

Byzantine got its own silk worms via smuggling in the mid-500s.