• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #61: The Dragon Throne

Hello folks!

The Swedish summer vacations are drawing to a close and I’m back and eager to talk some more Crusader Kings! What better way to kick off the end of summer than by revealing the theme of the next expansion? Yes my friends, it’s China! Now, before you get all emotional one way or the other, we’re not actually going to expand the map farther east. We considered doing that, long and hard, but eventually decided on a different approach that would not strain performance and stability beyond reason. As I mentioned in Dev Diary #51, it bothers me that the eastern edge of the map just cuts off in such an unnatural way. Playing in the Orient, you should always feel like you’re in the shadow of the Dragon. It should be an interesting and dynamic region right in the center of the Old World. So, we came up with the idea of adding China as a political entity even though you cannot actually see most of its territory.

The Dragon Throne.png

There is a new screen you can open up, which, if you’re within range of China, allows you to interact with the Emperor in various interesting ways. China can grant many wonderful boons if you’re in the emperor’s good graces, but, depending on the current status and policy of the Dragon Throne, the emperor can also decide you’d better show some respect and become a tributary state. When there is turmoil in China, displaced or fleeing armies can arrive on the map and cause all kinds of trouble. China can even seize and rule actual provinces, but the emperor leaves the governing of such areas to the Governor of the Western Protectorate (or, to be a stickler, the “Protectorate General to Pacify the West”.) Potentially, this on-map part of China can grow enormously powerful, but you should not have to worry too much as long as you enjoy the emperor’s grace…

That’s going to be all for now. I’m sure you have a million questions, but you’ll have to wait for the upcoming dev diaries. :)

Meanwhile, remember to tune in to our CK2 livestreams between 16 to 18:00 CET!

I hope, I really hope that the expansion won't be focusing on China and Asia. I mean it's supposed to be the last expansion right ? I'd like it to include as many features as possible for as many cultures as possible.

Either the last or the second-last. They've said they might add one last expansion to round it all up.

Yes, but later Johan stated "we will keep making them if people keep buying them", so there might be more.

We're aware it isn't quite accurate to use the temple name during their lifetime, but we decided it was the best course of action given that we need the names to be both consistent and recognizable.

Don't understand this part, if anything this naming convention makes the thing more inconsistent and unrecognizable.

It would be cool if there would be somes special interactions, either if you reformed the Roman Empire and retake interactions with China, or if you completed a World Conquest, and interact with China, Aztecs.

Also please, please nativly add the Aztec Emporer as an outside power to interact with. The Events of Sunset Invasion themselfs say they start to trade with the Europeans before they attack, and after they landed how they interact with their homeland. Give your old DLC some love. :)

We're aware it isn't quite accurate to use the temple name during their lifetime, but we decided it was the best course of action given that we need the names to be both consistent and recognizable.

Oh,yes...
After all, most Chinese names are too short...

I hope, I really hope that the expansion won't be focusing on China and Asia. I mean it's supposed to be the last expansion right ? I'd like it to include as many features as possible for as many cultures as possible.

It's not. They said after this they will do as much expansions as long as the people buy them.

I hope a version of this mechanic is also added for the Aztec Empire if you have sunset invasion as it would model it so well. Please show your old dlcs some love!

It'll be highly moddable.
You can add more offmap titles.
Diplomatic range is more than just the regular diplomatic range system, and basically any restriction can be modded in.

Oh God :D This is amazing!

It would be cool if there would be somes special interactions, either if you reformed the Roman Empire and retake interactions with China, or if you completed a World Conquest, and interact with China, Aztecs.

Also please, please nativly add the Aztec Emporer as an outside power to interact with. The Events of Sunset Invasion themselfs say they start to trade with the Europeans before they attack, and after they landed how they interact with their homeland. Give your old DLC some love. :)
If they do they should change the name of the american invaders too, Aztecs are anarchronistic, either go for a power more in line with the times (I would recomend toltec or teotihuacan*), or make something up... the sunset empire?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_chronology#Classic_Era

*Yes I know they are just as out of their time as the aztecs but in the opposite directions on the other hand teotihuacan was amongst the ten largest cities in the world at it's peak, if it had not collapsed then them invading the old world is not that far fetched).

Last edited:
This will be a good addition to the east. Love the China UI panel.

Please dont release on the same day as the coming stellaris story pack ;)

What kind of names are available for Emperors? Only -zong (Taizong) or also -zu (Taizu)?

I remain sceptical, althought not disappointed.

Like many people, I'd just prefer having China in the game "for real".
I know it's a performance issue, but still.

Especially since it's another "special mechanic/interface". I'm distrustful of those.

I think I'd rather be able to turn off entire regions during the game's setup, making provinces inaccessible. I might turn off China (and India) when playing in Western Europe, and turn off Western Europe when playing in China. Because as the world gets larger, the chance that realms from far away will impact my game gameplay-wise gets smaller and smaller (even for the Middle East). And so I'd be able to decide how much performance I'm willing to sacrifice.

Especially since the performance issue will get smaller as time goes on, even after development of CK2 stops.

I wonder if this DLC will add anything of interest to the Western Feudal Realms, (besides some late-game flavor-event about Marco Polo) or it will only be a flavorful and useful when playing as an east-indian character...?

I know that the DLC will also add other stuff, and there is the free patch of course - but when I bought Horse Lords, I was not smart, cause I have never played as a Nomad and therefore the whole DLC seems a bit pricy for what I actually can use, playing the way I like to play...
So, I guess that if I usually play as a Spanish Duke, a Norse Chief or an Irish Count, I will not "really" get anything of interest from this!?
I guess I have to wait and see for future dev diaries, I could be mistaken... But overall, it looks like a nice DLC, don't get me wrong ... :)

Don't understand this part, if anything this naming convention makes the thing more inconsistent and unrecognizable.
This way, the emperor keeps the same name during life and death, and the name they're generally known by is used.

What kind of names are available for Emperors? Only -zong (Taizong) or also -zu (Taizu)?
-zu for the founder of each dynasty. -zong for everyone else.

I wonder if this DLC will add anything of interest to the Western Feudal Realms, (besides some late-game flavor-event about Marco Polo) or it will only be a flavorful and useful when playing as an east-indian character...?

I know that the DLC will also add other stuff, and there is the free patch of course - but when I bought Horse Lords, I was not smart, cause I have never played as a Nomad and therefore the whole DLC seems a bit pricy for what I actually can use, playing the way I like to play...
So, I guess that if I usually play as a Spanish Duke, a Norse Chief or an Irish Count, I will not "really" get anything of interest from this!?
I guess I have to wait and see for future dev diaries, I could be mistaken... But overall, it looks like a nice DLC, don't get me wrong ... :)
While I agree that for non-Nomad players the DLC might've been not much, but it did introduce the Silk Road and Tributaries - so that's something :) Most DLCs include changes for all playable rulers, so I'd expect this one to have those too.