• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #39 - As you wish...

Hello everyone, I’m Gwenael Tranvouez, the Tech Lead on CK2, and I’m here to introduce a new feature for this Dev Diary.

Don’t you hate it when you’re start a war against a neighbour, counting on your allies to come and help and they all decide the best idea is to attach to your army so that you’ll take attrition? So do we!

So we’ve taken another leaf from EU4’s big book of tricks and we’ve added Ally Orders. When you lead a war, you can tell other participants what to do:
  • Hunt down enemy armies
  • Or focus on sieging provinces.
  • Attach to a specific army
  • Siege a specific province
The first two orders are given through a new tab in the military screen, which also summarizes what orders all your allies have:

AllyOrderTab.jpg

The last two are given through a new button on the unit or province screen:

UnitViewAllyOrder.jpg

ProvinceViewAllyOrder.jpg

As long as they’re in the war, your allies will try their best to fulfill your wishes, reverting to their default behavior when unable to comply. Unless, of course, they got bigger fish to fry, such as a big revolt in their own territory, or their own war to focus on.

The tooltip for AI units also mention what orders their owners have:

UnitTooltipAllyOrder.jpg

We’ve also improved the AI’s goal selection in wars, and general pathing so they’re more useful to have around in general.

That's it for this week.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
"Your Highness, can you follow me?"

"I am a King! -----"

This should be tied to the player's martial and the relation between the player and the AI, along with the reason for war (favours called etc) like in the EU system.

Otherwise to have any higher ranked AI simply refuse you because of your lower rank is totally at odds with the idea that a liege could delegate to a competent subject.

It could become tied to favours.
I'd love more interactions with favors, as it is currently too easy to avoid engaging with the system. I do think, however, that there should be an option to refuse a favor in exchange for a large opinion hit with the person asking, medium for all others who you owe a favor to, and small for everyone else.

I'd love more interactions with favors, as it is currently too easy to avoid engaging with the system. I do think, however, that there should be an option to refuse a favor in exchange for a large opinion hit with the person asking, medium for all others who you owe a favor to, and small for everyone else.

Currently it results in the person whose favour you refused complaining to the council, if I recall correctly.

I'd love to see this as well, though I think that other people than the person demanding the favour shouldn't care if you have a good reason to refuse (other party being a traitor, your rival, a dynastic kinslayer, someone that concubined your close relative, refusing your favour previously, etc.). That way, turning down favours that are somewhat reasonable will make people wary of you (and ideally also make them unlikely to agree to you owing them a favour in the future), while telling someone that has insulted or betrayed you to get lost is seen as justified.

Currently it results in the person whose favour you refused complaining to the council, if I recall correctly.

As far as I remember, something demanded using an existing favour cannot be refused at all at the moment. Granted, it has been quite some time since I used Conclave without disabling the entire favour system (because favours were unrefuseable the last time I checked), so it might have changed recently, though I don't think so a quick look at the events where someone call in a favour shows that there is no refusal option.

Funny how the start is quote-"Don’t you hate it when you’re start a war against a neighbour, counting on your allies to come and help and they all decide the best idea is to attach to your army so that you’ll take attrition? So do we!"

My problem is that most of my vassal's armies never attached to my army at all. Then spend their the days of war frolicking far from the frontlines