• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #36: The Witching Hour

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a good time during the Holidays. I know I did, but now it’s time to don the crown, strap on the sword and get back to work on Crusader Kings II (and my other game, of course...) Now, what better way to start off the new year than with a bit of harmless witchery? In the terribly long eras before the great thinkers of the Age of Reason would have us replace magic with science, the “occult” was of course seen as a normal part of life, and society lived in fear of curses and evil spells. But… just because you’re superstitious does not mean the witches aren’t out to get you! Just like today, the desperate and the unscrupulous would seek power by any means necessary, including the worship of demons and evil spirits...

society_1.png

This brings us to my favorite Society in the upcoming expansion Monks and Mystics; the Demon Worshippers. These brothers and sisters of the left-hand path come in several varieties: Abrahamics get “Lucifer’s Own”, Tengri pagans get the “Plaguebringers”, the Indian faiths are afflicted with a particularly nasty type of Kali worship, Baltic, Slavic and Finnic pagans get “The Cold Ones” (evil shamans) and Germanic Pagans have those who curry the favor of Hel and of powerful jotuns. Regardless of religious context, they are all united in their self-serving, utterly ruthless quest for power in the world of the living, and care little for their fate in the afterlife. As they advance through the ranks, Demon Worshippers get powers like “Dark Divorce”, “Summon Familiar” and “Tainted Touch” (a health curse.) Through their network of agents, they can also attempt to abduct relatively low ranking characters. Now, a lot of the content for the Demon Worshippers is hard to explain in terms of placebo effects and natural phenomena, so if you don’t care for the supernatural I suggest simply not joining those Societies (because rooting out their covens and persecuting them through your Court Chaplain is reasonably historical and adds flavor to the game.) However, if you really don’t want them around, you can turn them off through a Game Rule.

society_1_power.png

Next up are the infamous Assassins, a Shiite Muslim Society that - unsurprisingly - specializes in murder. The elusive Assassins consider themselves the true followers of Allah, and will do anything to further the advances of Shia Islam and protect their fellow believers. Consisting of loyal warriors as well as competent spies, wielding manipulation and social skills as expertly as a dagger, they specialize in asymmetrical warfare, striking hard at the heart of their enemies. Their special powers include intimidation and murder. For example, they can get a Favor with someone (if you have the Conclave expansion) by leaving a dagger on their pillow. At higher ranks, they can also mark someone for death, so that lower ranked members will get that murder as a mission. Since this Society is also a political entity and a Holy Order of sorts, the Grandmaster gets the power to raise special troops.

society_2.png

There is more to say about these Societies; their other powers, missions and semi-random events, but I don’t want to spoil it all. Oh, and if you have the Way of Life expansion, you can use “Spy On” to find out if a character is a member of a secret Society like the above...

There won’t be a CK2 stream today, but stay tuned for something next week (and a new dev diary, of course)!

Reactions:
They do. But only before the 11th century I think. It was part of the Early Western Portrait pack.
There is no Early Western Portrait pack. There's Early Western Clothing & Unit pack though. That's what they use before the 11th century or so.

Reactions:
That pack applies to everyone using the vanilla European faces, not only Anglo-Saxons.

And as mentioned by sreckom, it`s a clothing pack, not a face pack.
Clothing... Faces...

Really just stuff that decorates your skull you get down to it. The confusion is understandable.

Reactions:
They do. But only before the 11th century I think. It was part of the Early Western Portrait pack.

Ideally they would use their set their entire lifetime, since any "Non-Norman Invasion" change to their material culture is speculative. Maybe they would have always gone the "Anglo-Norman look" if William I had failed, but we'll never know. Once the 10th-11th centuries hit, clothing was dynamic and fast-paced. A visit from a foreigner to the royal court could set off a fashion trend throughout the whole demense and fabrics were purchased from the whole world. I know that in the Muslim world, the wardrobe was considered one of the main sources of liquid wealth, and clothing through the entirety of the pre-coinage economies was part of a vibrant secondhand market.

Reactions:
There is no Early Western Portrait pack. There's Early Western Clothing & Unit pack though. That's what they use before the 11th century or so.

Apologies on my part for the confusion, as I refer to them all as "packs" for my own reasons. But, yes, they use the default faces and hair and a separate set of clothing that applies to anyone in saxongfx.

Reactions:
How much do we expect the DLC to cost?
Maybe $10, maybe less...certainly not more
As far as I can see, it has no more features than The Reaper's Due. It wouldn't make much sense if it were more expensive than that.

Didn't you just say that Hashashin was a derogatory name for them? If so then that's mean it was used to describe them in the period and hence be better than assassins. Calling them Hashashin also 1) is familiar and 2) gives immersion. Calling them the assassins just sounds dumb.

WITH FULL RESPECT AND LOVE:
This in a nutshell is everything I disagree with in humanity. I wish you all peace and love, Wagonlitz.

@Darkrenown - were gnostics one of the things cut? I could kinda see why if so, they are very cool, but it would be difficult to portray them in a game, unless you have some crazy good writers. (which, to be honest, you guys kinda do, but.)

Reactions:
will being known to be a secret society hurt your reputation or give your vassals cause to rebel/foreign leaders cause to invade?

will you be able to out other members of your secret society ?

WITH FULL RESPECT AND LOVE:
This in a nutshell is everything I disagree with in humanity. I wish you all peace and love, Wagonlitz.

@Darkrenown - were gnostics one of the things cut? I could kinda see why if so, they are very cool, but it would be difficult to portray them in a game, unless you have some crazy good writers. (which, to be honest, you guys kinda do, but.)
What do you disagree with? Viewing terms and concepts int he context of their own time rather than ours?

Reactions:
Will it be possible to have realm based societies? If not will it be moddable to have them? I like the idea of having a society that conspires against their liege for their own interests.

Kinda...You could, for example, make a society that only people in k_france could join, or even make a society which only people in the same realm as the grandmaster could join, but they are not dynamic - you would need to setup dozens/hundreds of societies so people in each realm could have one to join. It seems rather messy and you might be better off making a faction instead. You could also just have a global society, but have the faction's powers only affect characters in the same realm - e.g. everyone joins the same Conspiring Bastards society, but they can only do things to people in the same realm as them.

Reactions:
Didn't you just say that Hashashin was a derogatory name for them? If so then that's mean it was used to describe them in the period and hence be better than assassins. Calling them Hashashin also 1) is familiar and 2) gives immersion. Calling them the assassins just sounds dumb.
It's also already taken by the Shi'a holy order. Though I'll be interested to see, @Darkrenown, if it'll be implemented by combining the two in some way: I believe you mentioned that accessing the Asasiyun would give access to additional religious troops?

Kinda...You could, for example, make a society that only people in k_france could join, or even make a society which only people in the same realm as the grandmaster could join, but they are not dynamic - you would need to setup dozens/hundreds of societies so people in each realm could have one to join. It seems rather messy and you might be better off making a faction instead. You could also just have a global society, but have the faction's powers only affect characters in the same realm - e.g. everyone joins the same Conspiring Bastards society, but they can only do things to people in the same realm as them.
Well it only has to be kingdom and above for most I imagine. For an example say knightly orders which are realm linked such as the order of the dragon.

Reactions:
Maybe $10, maybe less...certainly not more
As far as I can see, it has no more features than The Reaper's Due. It wouldn't make much sense if it were more expensive than that.

I'm guessing it will be 15$. That's what they've been charging for most of the smaller DLCs.

Reactions:
I'm actually not sure. The planned DD for next week involves some cut stuff, so a re-shuffle will have to be done. Exciting times!
I didn't realize you guys cut stuff of that magnitude by the time you're doing DD's. Makes me wonder how many thins never saw the light of day during the development of the other dlc.

Reactions:
I really love the idea of most of these things and will definitely be getting it for all the modding options it opens up.

But I dislike a lot of the exact ways Paradox is implementing them in vanilla from what is described in DRs post, so won't be buying it until those mods are done.