• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #32: Intriguing quality of life changes

Good afternoon. I’m Magne Skjæran, and you might remember me from my modding and optimization dev diary at the end of summer. My last day at Paradox was a few days after that, but since I had a great time working there this summer, I returned to the CK2 team about a month ago to work on the game part-time.
Today I will be covering a topic that’s been briefly mentioned earlier in the Easing Executions dev diary: quality of life changes in regards to the intrigue screen and plotting.

While the image shown in that dev diary was a mockup, the planned changes have now been implemented. However, the actual art isn’t done yet, so most images in this dev diary are touched up based on mockups rather than showing my programmer art. There is after all a reason I work as a programmer rather than an artist.

So let’s go through all the changes we’ve made to the Intrigue screen in detail:
upload_2016-11-28_14-56-40.png

I’ve numbered the changed aspects.

First, at #1, we’ve got the new decisions menu. It now shows 6 decisions at once rather than the old 4, making it easier to find what you’re looking for.

At #2, you can see that each decision now has a button allowing you to mark it as important or not important, thus allowing you to control which decisions you get alerts for. Marking a decision as important will change the background to gold, enable alerts, and move it to the top of the list. The last bit only happens once you exit and return to the decisions screen, since decisions jumping around when you click on them would be rather annoying.

#3 is a button allowing you to reset the priority settings to default.
What decisions are important is saved across campaigns, so you won’t have to mark decisions as important or not important every single game.

Further, at #4, we have a new tab: My Plots. This mostly just moves the plot functionality out of the way to give more space to the decisions list, but it does have one new addition: you can now clearly see who the target of each backed plot is, shown at #5.

Next, let’s go to the Prisoners screen:
upload_2016-11-28_14-59-28.png

At #1, 2, and 3 you can see the new prisoner mass actions. These allow you to release, ransom, or execute all prisoners currently shown on the screen, except those that have been marked as locked using the button you see at #4.

Further, prisoners can now be filtered by the eight different criteria you see at and below #6. This can then of course be reset back to being unfiltered using the button at #5.
A minor change is that this tab now fits 6 prisoners at once rather than 5.

When using the mass actions you’ll be asked to confirm and told about the ramifications of your actions:
upload_2016-11-28_14-57-29.png

This ensures you’re never caught unawares by tyranny or similar.

Next up, Known Plots:
upload_2016-11-28_14-58-2.png

Here there’s two new additions. At #1, we’ve got a new button that lets you ask the plotter to end their plot, saving you a few clicks.

At #2 we’ve got a new feature: if you know about a plot and you’re in the group of people that’s possible to invite, you can ask to join. The AI will always accept this, while if you’re playing multiplayer the other player can refuse if they want to.

The “auto stop plots” button has also been moved to only show up within this tab.
As to the Threats tab there’s nothing new there except for six threats being shown at once rather than five.

That’s it for the Intrigue screen, but we still have a couple of tidbits related to plotting left.
upload_2016-11-28_14-58-36.png

When invited to a plot you’ll now be able to see who the target is, saving you from having to use the character or title finder in order to figure it out.

Finally, when a plotter tries and fails to kill your spymaster due to them discovering their plot, you now have the option to keep the plot a secret, which is ideal for cases where you would rather join the plot than expose it.

That sums up all the changes we’ve made to make the intrigue aspects of the game simpler to interact with, and providing you the information you need to make decisions. Hopefully you’ve found this dev diary as intriguing to read as it was to write!

Reactions:
Oh cool its arumba. In addition to the two questions i posed above, and what arumba said itd be cool if we could organize the character of interest list into multiple lists so its not one major dogpile of characters. I keep tabs on a lot of people for different reasons, and itd be nice if some kind of sorting would recognize that, preferably allow me to group them into for example: assassination character of interests, foreign heirs that need to be educated etc.

Also the message settings dont trigger as they should sometimes

Reactions:
When creating a Kingdom or Empire through the Create option (de juris) Succession laws of your main title get copied, but when a title is created through the decision screen, a default law is selected . Is this intentional or an oversight?
Also it would be nice to be able to select the colour of a custom title.

Reactions:
I agree with Arumba, could you also add cultural names and titles such as Dauphin of France for the heir or Czar for the Bulgarian emperor/king etc.

And perhaps a note pad to take notes for goals,desired law,dates etc.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I totally agree with Arumbas Post, but in addidion to that i find it quite frustrating that when you want to transfer vassalage some vassals just doesnt appear... i understand that it's supposed to show de jure vassals but sometimes It doesnt do that either.
I want to be able to transfer duchy-tier-vassals to my king-tier-vassals if i wish to
or transfer county-tier-vassals to my duchy-tier-vasals

I hope you see this
but overall it's an amazing game
you're doing great work

Reactions:
Also it would be nice to be able to select the colour of a custom title.
Very much this. In my last Robert de Hauteville start, I ended up forming the custom Empire of Sicily. And then my beautiful grey blob turned this gross pink colour. Combined with that, the Seljuks switched their primary title to k_georgia. Since the major powers in the area were me, the Seljuks, and the Byzantines, the whole region was an ugly pink and purple mess.

I hope you see this
but overall it's an amazing game
you're doing great work
I only had to remove one word to make that into a haiku:

I hope you see this
but it's an amazing game
you're doing great work

Reactions:
Also what Arumba said.

:p

Reactions:
When someone stops being your counselor, there is a pop up notification on the top. When you click it, you go to the new council screen. A useless screen in my opinion, because while you can appoint a new counselor from there, you cannot assign them their task. Usually you always want your council to be (improving relations/collecting taxes/...), especially when you just appointed a new one. So please make the alert take you to the usefull council screen, instead of the new one.

Reactions:
When you want to send a gift, it would also be great to be able to set the ammount of money you intend to give (à la EUIV).
Sometimes you want to help an neighbour or a vassal by sending him a thousand gold, but the game force you to only give 25 gold per time.

Reactions:
I just bought this game, but have yet to play it. Guess I'll wait for this QoL patch, is there any ETA on that?
It's almost certainly months in the future since this is about a new expansion. I'd start playing now instead of waiting, were I you.

Reactions:
I just bought this game, but have yet to play it. Guess I'll wait for this QoL patch, is there any ETA on that?

No need to wait for the next expansion/patch, whatever. You'll never get to play that way. It's already a great game, so just jump in. Then enjoy the improvements as they come :)

Or, to put it another way: One thing I love about PDox games is that they keep on changing. I can play the heck out of them at any stage in development, then come back months later after I finally thought that I "had enough" and discover something completely new.

Reactions:
Maybe it would be more intuitive to replace the checkbox for the prisoners with a small picture of a lock open/closed?

Reactions:
It probably is beyond the scope of simple QoL changes but I would love to be able to attach handwritten notes to characters. I mention this here because, of course, one of the main parts of the game that would benefit from it is imprisonment: no matter how invested you are in the emerging story surrounding your dynasty, it doesn't help when you turn the game off for a day or two and proceed to forget why you imprisoned X person, who that kid is, why you're plotting against that guy, why that other man is your rival, and so forth.

Reactions:
Thank you for these. While you are at it, could you possibly change one thing in the minor titles section? When assigning commander, could you place the button with the free commanders set as the first one on the list and once I assign one, list the assigned one below? This would save us a few scrolls, when I am assigning a bunch of them. THank you for considering this!

Reactions:
new player here, but sounds like awesome changes. so surprised how much support this game still has and that it still "evolves". def made the right choice to take my chances and buy this game after hearing about so many times.

also, all of arumba's changes sound amazing as well :p

Reactions:
new player here, but sounds like awesome changes. so surprised how much support this game still has and that it still "evolves". def made the right choice to take my chances and buy this game after hearing about so many times.

also, all of arumba's changes sound amazing as well :p
If you don't have bought expansions yet then if you have the money for it, it definitely is a good idea to grab all the expansions---with the possible exception of Sunset Invasion, since that only adds the Aztec Invasions and not everybody likes those.

Another Intrigue-feature that could use some quality of life improvements in my opinion is the "Stop all plots" feature. It would be great to be able to customize the feature a bit. For example you could choose to:
Stop all Plots:
- if target = me.
- if target is of my dinasty
- if leader = my rival
Something in that vein would be neat. Because plots can be quite useful for you as liege, but currently you only have the choice to stop all of them or go through all of them manually. A middle-of-the-road option would be quite helpfull.

Reactions: