• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #31: Back to work

Hello all! As some of you may know, Paradox spent the last 4 days in Malta and now we are back in Stockholm exhausted refreshed and re-energised, and ready to get back to work! Speaking of work, the topic of this Diary is the new Council jobs we are adding in the upcoming <Mystery> expansion. These are not quite like earlier jobs the Council could do though, because (with one exception) these are “off-map” jobs - you do not need to place the Councilor in a specific province to perform them.
council 1.jpg

please excuse the lack of unique art for the new jobs, it will be there

Chancellor - Perform Statecraft. This job increases the speed at which your Threat decays, and can fire events which improve relations with random vassals, neighbours, or your liege if you have one. If you have a specific character you want better relations with, the Improve Diplomatic Relations job will be more useful, but for general improvements Statecraft should be your choice.

Marshal - Organize the Army. This job lowers the upkeep cost of your Retinue (Or Horde), and can fire events to train existing or find new commanders.

Steward - Administer Realm. This job increases the speed of Cultural conversion in your realm’s provinces, and can fire events adding economic bonuses to any province. If you own Reaper’s Due, Prosperity throughout the Realm will also increase faster.

Spymaster - Sabotage. This is the exception I mentioned earlier. For owners of the <Mystery> expansion, the existing Scheme job will become “off-map” (if you don’t own it, Scheme will remain unchanged) and a new Sabotage job will be available for use on specific provinces. These provinces will suffer damage, gain unrest, and may even be made easier to siege due to sabotage and bribery.

Court Chaplain - Hunt Heretics. This job enables the Court Chaplain to hunt for members of shadowy cabals who plot against God and man alike.

And while I’m here and talking about the Council, let me mention something we’ve added for the 2.7 patch. When trying to have my Council agree to a vote with Conclave, it always bugged me that I would need to check in the tooltip of the law who was for and against it, then switch to the Council screen to bribe and cajole people, then check the law screen again to see who I had forgotten about. Instead, now you can ask that the Council considers a vote before you actually vote on it, which allows it to be shown on the Council screen along with icons on each Councilor showing how they will vote.
council2.jpg
council3.jpg

While it’s not in yet, we hope to add a button right there to start the voting process so that you don’t need to switch back to the laws tab once you have your votes arranged.

Don't forget to tune in to our Medieval Monday stream with Emil and Steven, starting at 16:00CET on https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.

The stream will, as always, be available to watch later through either the Twitch VOD archive. Or through our Paradox Extra Youtube channel where you can find (pretty much) all our previous streams!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
don't fool yourselves. first versions was good but now they turned into ashes
Based on 5 ratings...
And this is for the Conclave expansion. And most complaints for The Conclave were about Shattered Retreat and Defensive Pacts, which were part of a patch, not the actual expansion.

CK2 increased dramatically in size and quality over the years. Original game feels incredibly shallow compared to this version.

I should add how the latest expansion has 97% positive ratings on Steam, out of 206 reviews...
So...yeah.

Reactions:
To go with the tradition you guys probably find to be one of the most annoying ones... are we going to get any new portrait packs?

Reactions:
Based on 5 ratings...
And this is for the Conclave expansion. And most complaints for The Conclave were about Shattered Retreat and Defensive Pacts, which were part of a patch, not the actual expansion.

CK2 increased dramatically in size and quality over the years. Original game feels incredibly shallow compared to this version.

I should add how the latest expansion has 97% positive ratings on Steam, out of 206 reviews...
So...yeah.
I assume that your words are correct but in the new dlcs there is no real changes and for me it became boring and tell me why the china , Africa and new world didn't add to CK2 yet and why India is so smaller than the reality scale and why after two years it is not possible to convert it to EU4 correctly ( when I converted most of north America is under Aztec rule and most of south America is under Inca rule without any reason). and is it bad that we want the development of this company (do you read that 5 critics in there )

Reactions:
why after two years it is not possible to convert it to EU4 correctly ( when I converted most of north America is under Aztec rule and most of south America is under Inca rule without any reason). and is it bad that we want the development of this company (do you read that 5 critics in there )
That is because you converted with Sunset Invasion enabled. Otherwise the Converter won't touch the Americas.

Reactions:
Sorry, but I think these jobs makes the game even more easier, something not really needed (although I like the sabotage one). I kinda dislike these things that gives easy bonuses, like the Crown Focus mechanic and similar. I actually would like a more harder game. Yes, I think you will say these heretic covenants of darkness will add some difficulty but I don't think it is on par with these casual gamer mechanics. Just what I think.

Reactions:
I assume that your words are correct but in the new dlcs there is no real changes and for me it became boring and tell me why the china , Africa and new world didn't add to CK2 yet and why India is so smaller than the reality scale and why after two years it is not possible to convert it to EU4 correctly ( when I converted most of north America is under Aztec rule and most of south America is under Inca rule without any reason). and is it bad that we want the development of this company (do you read that 5 critics in there )
Well, the latest additions are boring for you. That's fine.
But it seems as you believe that's everyone's opinion as well.
No, I didn't read those reviews, because they are silly. Yeah, I find it silly when you vote 0/10 for something. While the accompanying patch for the Conclave was somewhat bad, it doesn't deserve such a rating.

Africa, America and the rest of Asia would bring too much instability to this game. You complain about shallow features. Well, the game engine isn't all-powerful. And if you stress it further...do you really think it would bring any good results?

As stated above, Aztecs control North America in EU4 because you converted a game with Sunset Invasion enabled.

Reactions:
That is because you converted with Sunset Invasion enabled. Otherwise the Converter won't touch the Americas.
It is one of my critics too . if there is a sunset invasion so why we can't control American nations? how they can build those enormous armies? and how they can colony other parts of America before colonial age? and questions like that. i think if these problems can't be helped it's better to make CK3

Reactions:
I like your style, but I'd advise against engagement since the cleverly named "SSmarch" is either a troll or an actual insane person. Either way, responding to him is unwise.
Yes, I'm done with this.

Reactions:
So if Scheme is off map... What does it do now?

Scheme
  • +1% increased chance of detecting plots per skill, in a given province[Who must be in the province? Plotter? Backers? Target?]
  • Success: An event allowing you to discourage a vassal from being a member of factions in your realm.
  • Success: An event allowing you to encourage a fellow vassal to join your faction.
  • Failure: The spymaster is attacked by thugs.
From the wiki

So will it dissuade everyone to leave factions now? Will it encourage EVERYONE to join your faction?

Reactions:
Steward - Administer Realm. This job increases the speed of Cultural conversion in your realm’s provinces, and can fire events adding economic bonuses to any province. If you own Reaper’s Due, Prosperity throughout the Realm will also increase faster.

What if I want to administer realm without speeding up cultural conversion?

What if I want a "norse cultural realm with a german King"? Because why not?

Otherwise it would take a LONG time to raise prosperity one by one using the old job especially if the realm is rather large (like France/German into one realm HUGE).

Reactions:
It is one of my critics too . if there is a sunset invasion so why we can't control American nations? how they can build those enormous armies? and how they can colony other parts of America before colonial age? and questions like that. i think if these problems can't be helped it's better to make CK3

How they can colonise other parts of Americas before the colonial age? By conquering them like England conquers chunks of France and France takes them back? Those parts were populated before Europeans arrived... Cherokees, Iroquois come to mind to name a few.

And if they add more continents (provinces), more characters and more everything the game engine will just fail. It's also obviously that they will discontinue development of CK2 in the next 2 years smh. (they said this is one of their last expansions they are making).

Wait... why am I responding to a troll? F'k me.... :p

Reactions:
I like your style, but I'd advise against engagement since the cleverly named "SSmarch" is either a troll or an actual insane person. Either way, responding to him is unwise.
I thank you that you told that i'm a troll or an insane person.but I'm just the only one who critics these company games.you may don't like my opinions but these critics are benefit for this company and you too.i have played nearly all of this company games and I know what i'm saying.all of us want to have better games.and I suggest you to listen to your opponents not just tell that " they're trolls " or "they're insane".

Reactions:

Much hated fantasy DLC is fantasy.

It is actually what I say. if this game will be unstable for those American and Chinese nations and the game engine isn't all-powerful why producers don't try to make a new version of CK that can have those nations.

Maybe because CK2 is apparently still profitable.

Reactions:
To go with the tradition you guys probably find to be one of the most annoying ones... are we going to get any new portrait packs?
Yes please!

Reactions:
How they can colonise other parts of Americas before the colonial age? By conquering them like England conquers chunks of France and France takes them back? Those parts were populated before Europeans arrived... Cherokees, Iroquois come to mind to name a few.

And if they add more continents (provinces), more characters and more everything the game engine will just fail. It's also obviously that they will discontinue development of CK2 in the next 2 years smh. (they said this is one of their last expansions they are making).

Wait... why am I responding to a troll? F'k me.... :p
first of all i'm not troll.second don't insult yourself and me by that bad word.third all of us know that American nations didn't conquer so much lands by that so there should be an option for that(in EU4 you must colony those lands). forth as I said before if this game can't expand to America producers should take look at CK3

Much hated fantasy DLC is fantasy.

Maybe because CK2 is apparently still profitable.
I think CK3 is more profitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
@SSmarch

Wait a second?!

You are saying you should be able to play as one of the American Native for ~700 year basically doing nothing, mostly, in Crusader Kings 2?

The only thing of notice worthy interactive between American and Europe during this time frame (700 to 1400) was the Viking "discovering" America first and had some settlements.

http://www.history.com/news/the-viking-explorer-who-beat-columbus-to-america

Otherwise you would be hard pressed to emulate anything of interest.

Reactions: