• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary#26: Considerable Converter Capabilities

Hello all, and welcome back to another CK2 Development Diary. If you didn’t notice last week, we now do CK DDs on Mondays to match up with the Medieval Monday stream. Anyway, getting on to the point of this DD: We’ve been updating the Converter!

Development in EU4 will now be based on the state of the world in CK2. Holdings, Buildings, Hospitals and Prosperity all count when determining if your capital should be the new Paris or not. The development of the default 1444 EU4 provinces (within the converted area) will be redistributed in a way that makes sense for your world.

Dynamic fort placement. No longer will forts be placed exactly as they were in the default 1444 setup, instead forts will be placed in strategically appropriate areas for each nation.

Revamped Tech Groups. Now, as Tech Group no longer actually affect your technology cost (that’s handled by institutions), your group will be based on the geographical area of your capital. This is then used to improve your experience in many ways, i.e. through custom idea generation!

Dynamic ideas. No longer will your nation simply have the ‘National Ideas’ set, instead a unique one will be generated for you based on your situation in EU4. These idea sets will give you appropriate ideas, so no naval ideas if you are landlocked or just have one port.

Institutions have been revamped to account for the vastly different world that is a converted game. The institutions will spread in a much more dynamic way, and no longer discriminates in favor of Europe (especially not if India or the Middle East manage to get a high Development converted over!). Institutions such as the Printing Press do not necessarily have to spawn in Germany, either.

Converter-centric idea picking for the AI. With most converted games missing a Portugal, and in some cases even a Castille or England, the AI has been readjusted to dynamically assume these positions. One nation will try to assume the role of Portugal - be it Iceland, Scotland, Korea or Majapahit you won’t know until you play!

Traits now convert over from CK2. Did you have a midas touched genius ruler or a possessed imbecile lunatic ruler? No matter what, you will recognize them by their traits in EU4.

Improved Sunset Invasion setup. For all of you who wanted the New world empires to be even mightier we’ve improved the High Americans with new missions and unique units. High American units tend to have many Fire pips, so beware their power!

The Converter will be updated alongside the release of Rights of Man on the 11th. That’s all for now, but I have even more Converter stuff to talk about next week.

Reactions:
Heavy breathing intensifies.

Reactions:
That's awesome, I was planning to convert my CK2 game after RoM releases. I think I'll still make my own NIs, but dynamic NIs for all the other countries sound amazing.

Reactions:

Reactions:
This is all very well and good, but will the underlying problems with the converter- such as provinces being given to completely the wrong nation- be fixed?

Reactions:
This is all very well and good, but will the underlying problems with the converter- such as provinces being given to completely the wrong nation- be fixed?

For the purpose of the my issues thread:
Could you please elaborate? Outside of the one Vladimir save case, that was not longer reproducible (old version save), I have not found or seen reported any broken mappings.

I'm glad to see the converter getting some work done, thanks Paradox.

Reactions:
Extremely interesting, although I foresee a LOT of complaints about "nonsensical" development, fort and NI distribution after RoM goes live.

Reactions:
Reactions:
I think this would be better if America was "europa-like" for a save with sunset invasion. By "europa-like", I mean some big countries, lot of medium ones and some OPM, with few colonizable lands, instead of just 3 gigantic empires. It would add lot of interactions and interest in a game.

Last edited:
Reactions:

This is something that can be fixed through the province mapping and weights already in the converter. Please report specific such issues as you run into them and we'll fix them :)

Reactions: