• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #124 - Recommended Characters in The Iron Century

Welcome to the first developer diary about ‘The Iron Century’ this week. We will post a Developer Diary every day this week, show-casing some interesting starts and other minor things you might expect to see in the new bookmark.

CK2 - The Iron Century Art.png

On the 7th of August 936, Otto I was crowned King of the Germans. He initiated his arduous campaign to crush his rivals and reconquer the lost territory in Italy to reform the Holy Roman Empire. The Magyars settled down in the Carpathian Basin and began to make their mark on the world as they conquered and pillaged their neighbors, becoming feared across Europe. In the north the Christians were trying to push into the Scandinavian Peninsula to start converting the pagan kings, but the Germanic faith still stood strong among the vikings. In Baghdad far to the south-east, the ancient Abbasid Caliphate that once ruled an empire stretching from Persia to Hispania finally fell to infighting, left only with the heartland of their former empire. And on the shores of Africa a new rival rose up in the form of the Fatimid Caliphate, ready to fill the vacant regions left behind by their adversary.

We know a lot of people have asked for a 10th century bookmark, and similarly we have long wanted one as well, as the 10th century had a lot of interesting history to offer. It is the birth of the Fatimid caliphate, the fall of the Abbasid caliphate, the rise of the Ottonian dynasty and the decline of the Karling dynasty.

Clipboard01.png

We have set up six recommended characters for the start date, though that is not to say we haven’t filled the world with other interesting characters for you guys to try out as well.

King Otto of Germany: In many ways Otto is the protagonist of the bookmark. He has just been crowned King, and has quite the task ahead of himself in trying to put together the Holy Roman Empire and beat back the pagan encroaching from the east (Hungarians) and the north (Norse tribes). To the west, the vassal holding the Stem-Duchy of Lotharingia (Lorraine), Duke Giselbert, recently changed his allegiance to the young King Louis Karling of West Francia. Not to mention the tumultuous kingship of Italy, that will be needed to recreate the Holy Roman Empire.

Clipboard02.png

Caliph al-Qaim: Only two years have passed since al-Qaim took up the position of Caliph after the death of his father, the legendary al-Mahdi who carved out a nation at the shores of North Africa. With the weak Abbasid Caliphate having been shattered these last decades, the Fatimids are trying to take on their rightful positions as overlords of the Muslim world, but not all their vassals are as fond of them as they might think. Only a few years after our start Abu Yazid would start a revolt that would plunge the newly founded Caliphate into a crisis that almost broke it apart. And in the east a new threat rises in the form of Al-Ikhshid, the newly appointed governor of Egypt who is ready to support the Abbasids.

Clipboard03.png

King Æthelstan of England: As the first king of a truly collected England, Æthelstan is very much in the prime of his power. But only a year later, historically speaking, he had to fight the coalition of the Kingdoms of Dublin, Alba and Strathclyde in the Battle of Brunaburh. His victory secured the new frontiers in the north, but if he had lost? Who can say what would have happened with the Isles if that had happened.

Clipboard04.png

Abu Tahir of the Jannabid Emirate: The Jannabids were notorious around our bookmark as they entered Mecca under false pretenses and slaughtered the pilgrims, and brought the Black Stone back to their capital and held it hostage for decades. They continued to raid the lands of the Abbasids and the Ikhshidids, until they eventually faltered and started to diminish in the latter half of the 10th century.

Clipboard05.png

King Árpád Zoltan of Hungary: Not many years has passed since the Magyars descended from the steppes and into basin, pushing out the Bulgarians and anyone else who stood in their path. However, now they are one of the few pagans left in the area, surrounded by the Germans to the west, Bohemians to the north and the Bulgarian Empire to the south. Led by the Árpád dynasty, it is time to find their destiny, be it as the raiders and conquerors of Europe, or (as they did historically) become one of the defenders of Christianity.

Clipboard06.png

King Hakon (the Good) of Norway: Young Hakon is 16 year old as he lands in Norway. Raised by King Æthelstan of England, he has now returned to his take up overlordship of his country. Not long ago his half-brother Erik Bloodaxe killed two of their other brothers and took control of the land, but he has recently been thrown out by the Norwegian Jarls. Still brooding in the north of Scotland with his army, he can still be seen as a threat to Hakon's rule, but he is not the most immediate one. As a Catholic, Hakon is certain to be in trouble as all his vassals follow the old ways, as does his pagan neighbors to the north and east.

Clipboard07.png

We hope you guys are as excited to test out the new bookmark as we are for you to see it. Tomorrow we will talk about some interesting Christian characters you guys will be able to try out!

PS, for those interested in AARs, I've asked WJS to test out the Iron Century patch and write one. I love the ones I've read so far, so hopefully you will as well :) Here's a link! https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...s-rebellion-an-iron-century-mini-aar.1179523/

• 1Love
Reactions:
So Qarmatians will have dedicated priesthood, like Christians, Jews, Mazdans and Pagans?

For those of us who have played for a while it will be nice to start with a new map setup. And it'll work especially well for those who have Holy Fury, but don't have The Old Gods or Charlemagne, because there will be more pagans on the map than in later start dates.

Always hoped the 10th century would have a bookmark, but didn't think it would happen, so glad I was wrong. Do these characters have fixed traits or are they random? indulgent wastrel seems harsh for Athelstan. He also had more siblings, another 4 or 5 sisters and two rival brothers for the throne named Alfweard and Edwin, Alfweard died in 924 and Edwin drowned in 933.

Can I see Hywel Dda/Hywel the Good of Deheubarth? I've decided my first Iron Century campaign will be as him, then I will play as these recommended characters.

Only thing that saddens me about this wonderful DD is Æthelstan's shitty stats.
Like, come on, indulgent wastrel with all stats but stewardship below 10? One of the greatest Anglo-Saxon kings should be arguably as skilled as his grandpa Alfred. I hope these stats and traits are not final :)

Welcome to the first developer diary about ‘The Iron Century’ this week. We will post a Developer Diary every day this week, show-casing some interesting starts and other minor things you might expect to see in the new bookmark.

View attachment 481984

On the 7th of August 936, Otto I was crowned King of the Germans. He initiated his arduous campaign to crush his rivals and reconquer the lost territory in Italy to reform the Holy Roman Empire. The Magyars settled down in the Carpathian Basin and began to make their mark on the world as they conquered and pillaged their neighbors, becoming feared across Europe. In the north the Christians were trying to push into the Scandinavian Peninsula to start converting the pagan kings, but the Germanic faith still stood strong among the vikings. In Baghdad far to the south-east, the ancient Abbasid Caliphate that once ruled an empire stretching from Persia to Hispania finally fell to infighting, left only with the heartland of their former empire. And on the shores of Africa a new rival rose up in the form of the Fatimid Caliphate, ready to fill the vacant regions left behind by their adversary.

We know a lot of people have asked for a 10th century bookmark, and similarly we have long wanted one as well, as the 10th century had a lot of interesting history to offer. It is the birth of the Fatimid caliphate, the fall of the Abbasid caliphate, the rise of the Ottonian dynasty and the decline of the Karling dynasty.

View attachment 481985

We have set up six recommended characters for the start date, though that is not to say we haven’t filled the world with other interesting characters for you guys to try out as well.

King Otto of Germany: In many ways Otto is the protagonist of the bookmark. He has just been crowned King, and has quite the task ahead of himself in trying to put together the Holy Roman Empire and beat back the pagan encroaching from the east (Hungarians) and the north (Norse tribes). To the west, the vassal holding the Stem-Duchy of Lotharingia (Lorraine), Duke Giselbert, recently changed his allegiance to the young King Louis Karling of West Francia. Not to mention the tumultuous kingship of Italy, that will be needed to recreate the Holy Roman Empire.

View attachment 481986

Caliph al-Qaim: Only two years have passed since al-Qaim took up the position of Caliph after the death of his father, the legendary al-Mahdi who carved out a nation at the shores of North Africa. With the weak Abbasid Caliphate having been shattered these last decades, the Fatimids are trying to take on their rightful positions as overlords of the Muslim world, but not all their vassals are as fond of them as they might think. Only a few years after our start Abu Yazid would start a revolt that would plunge the newly founded Caliphate into a crisis that almost broke it apart. And in the east a new threat rises in the form of Al-Ikhshid, the newly appointed governor of Egypt who is ready to support the Abbasids.

View attachment 481993

King Æthelstan of England: As the first king of a truly collected England, Æthelstan is very much in the prime of his power. But only a year later, historically speaking, he had to fight the coalition of the Kingdoms of Dublin, Alba and Strathclyde in the Battle of Brunaburh. His victory secured the new frontiers in the north, but if he had lost? Who can say what would have happened with the Isles if that had happened.

View attachment 481995

Abu Tahir of the Jannabid Emirate: The Jannabids were notorious around our bookmark as they entered Mecca under false pretenses and slaughtered the pilgrims, and brought the Black Stone back to their capital and held it hostage for decades. They continued to raid the lands of the Abbasids and the Ikhshidids, until they eventually faltered and started to diminish in the latter half of the 10th century.

View attachment 481996

King Árpád Zoltan of Hungary: Not many years has passed since the Magyars descended from the steppes and into basin, pushing out the Bulgarians and anyone else who stood in their path. However, now they are one of the few pagans left in the area, surrounded by the Germans to the west, Bohemians to the north and the Bulgarian Empire to the south. Led by the Árpád dynasty, it is time to find their destiny, be it as the raiders and conquerors of Europe, or (as they did historically) become one of the defenders of Christianity.

View attachment 481997

King Hakon (the Good) of Norway: Young Hakon is 16 year old as he lands in Norway. Raised by King Æthelstan of England, he has now returned to his take up overlordship of his country. Not long ago his half-brother Erik Bloodaxe killed two of their other brothers and took control of the land, but he has recently been thrown out by the Norwegian Jarls. Still brooding in the north of Scotland with his army, he can still be seen as a threat to Hakon's rule, but he is not the most immediate one. As a Catholic, Hakon is certain to be in trouble as all his vassals follow the old ways, as does his pagan neighbors to the north and east.

View attachment 481998

We hope you guys are as excited to test out the new bookmark as we are for you to see it. Tomorrow we will talk about some interesting Christian characters you guys will be able to try out!

PS, for those interested in AARs, I've asked WJS to test out the Iron Century patch and write one. I love the ones I've read so far, so hopefully you will as well :) Here's a link! https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...s-rebellion-an-iron-century-mini-aar.1179523/

Seems like there are a lot of tributaries around. Will they be more formalised now and will you be able to do so via diplomacy?

Only thing that saddens me about this wonderful DD is Æthelstan's shitty stats.
Like, come on, indulgent wastrel with all stats but stewardship below 10? One of the greatest Anglo-Saxon kings should be arguably as skilled as his grandpa Alfred. I hope these stats and traits are not final :)

Yeah, I believe both Zoltan and Æthelstan have random stats at the moment. I will probably fix that before the bookmark is out.

View attachment 481984

View attachment 481985

View attachment 481986

View attachment 481993

View attachment 481995

View attachment 481996

View attachment 481997

View attachment 481998

Yeah, I believe both Zoltan and Æthelstan have random stats at the moment. I will probably fix that before the bookmark is out.

Hello it is not Zoltán (that name came to Hungarian in Ottoman peridod ) the corect name is "Zolta" you can check the hungarian wikipedia about it
https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zolta_magyar_fejedelem

It would be nice if you could change Zoltán's title to "Grand Prince" instead of "King". The Hungarians didn't use that title until the rule of Stephen I in 1000 which roughly coincided with the Christianization of the country. So it would be better to tie the title to being Christian and feudal. I also think that Hungary should still be tribal in 936.

Will Kievan Rus' still be Slavic Pagan in this start date? Officially the Baptism of Rus occrued in 988 but there was a considerable Orthodox influence on the country ever since the 930s and many of the people living there were already Christian. Will this perhaps be represented by some events or anyting of that sort?