• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #120 - Tech and Combat changes

Hello! In the next patch we will be doing some small adjustments to Technologies and Terrain Combat Modifiers, and today we will talk a bit about those changes. The main objectives were to make deciding what military technologies to invest in a bit more interesting and rebalance the value of terrain with regards to the possible (large) modifiers given by tactics. Before we start, there is the caveat that numbers are not yet final, there might be some adjustments needed after we receive testing feedback.

Technologies

Y0ynqJFnyT6Rrm6-tj2xKMNEodD5jlY8ajchyg2_DGAR4CPmAD0J2KvLya-vpUyPFYaJ6zBSPB2t2UOWTrJVEAWQ3-bvIakYBJANg40E0S6zORRg0nwThIOJzAVrlx7zKM3a4uSr

This is how the Technologies window looks now. City and Temple infrastructure were joined together, while their tax bonus revenue was slightly lowered. Shipbuilding is now an Economy Tech. The Military technologies were changed so now Infantry and Cavalry tech increase morale (up to 40%) and defense (up to 60%) of Infantry and Cavalry units, respectively. On the other hand, Skirmish and Melee technologies affect the Attack value of troops (up to 60%) and decrease the probability of using generic bad tactics. Finally, Military Organization now gives only a low overall bonus to morale (up to 20%) but keeps its importance for Retinue Size, and we added now also Reorganization speed (morale recovery) of armies.

Light Infantry and Elephants, being neither skirmish nor melee specialized troops, do not increase Attack damage. Light infantry base values were bumped a bit to compensate for this. This means that Light Infantry and Elephants will have a bigger impact with low technology, losing a bit of their edge as technology advances. But Light Infantry will also be more relevant in difficult terrain (see below).

Historical Setup of Tech Levels

We also changed the initial values of technologies a little, to be more historically asymmetrical. In the picture above you can see the Constantinople values at game start. As an advanced society, Constantinople can build more advanced buildings, and has increased Military Organization and Legalism. But the Frankish lands will have some superiority in Melee and Cavalry. The Frank/Norman Knights were a fearsome sight on the Battlefield.

Combat Modifiers

The combat tactics interplay can give a bonus of up to 900% to some troop types while making others non-attackers. To make terrain, especially difficult terrain like Mountains, more relevant for a battle, the defender bonus was increased for most infantry types, especially for light infantry (see the picture below).

Narrow Flank is a feature of a battle where the number of enemy troops that can attack is limited by the number of troops on the flank the gets the bonus. We changed Narrow Flank to both become more probable in difficult terrain and be modified in a more consistent way if you have a leader with the Battlefield Terrain Master trait. The effect of Narrow Flank was also extended to the skirmish phase, to have a larger impact in a battle.

FJ6j2H0w6d-5tEQtSlxzYkkyPEtKCPcP-o-AwyeXvFZ4AEdZFgvLinIU3YifEgGzK3MCMjSw0KFem5yOGBLfRVsEzOkIyyCTVYjyOIl5n-RtFl431BGqvEpn3FVXSqq7e6i20yd-

We hope that these changes will give you players more control over the battle conditions and thus increase the influence your decisions have over the battle outcome. Together with the tech rebalance, we hope these changes will improve the CK2 experience for both new and experienced players.

Finally, as stated before, these numbers are not final, and if you feel strongly about something, let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personaly really like the route CK 2 is taking. The team is really taking cautious steps polishing the game and even adding free content rather than rushing half finished DLCs. I hope that their next DLC, even if it takes long to be finished, will have the same depth as HF.
Well done team! You have my thanks and loyalty as a consumer!

Also as others have mentioned, please take care that light infantry does not end up overpowered, especially together with tribes as those are already really strong.
And make sure that tactics are not so strong to make each battle be decided by RNG.

And a final note, please also slow down teching for the player. Its too easy to outtech everyone.

Last edited:
Unless you don't have retinue DLC, then the tech just laughs at you for being a noob and picking it I guess.

I guess (I hope) retinues will become free in this patch, to further expand warfare gameplay.

Why combine cities and temples technology? That's weird. And I really don't think the Franks were more advanced than the Byzantines in any way so that doesn't make sense to me. The best thing you can do to improve the combat screen is add color to the tactics selection like that one mod does. So you know when your army and flank has chosen a good tactic and is benefitting from it. And also integrate that military info mod.

Also, are we not getting a hotfix to fix the issues from the last big update?

Is there any news on when we can expect the next patch? Unless my Steam is bugged somehow, there hasn't been any bugfix patch for Great Works yet, and it's been a few weeks since it was released.

honestly even after all this years in ck2 i never got a clue about the tech, mostly i just build stuff then generating more techpoints click build more and always won my battle by having mostly more troops then my enemy, all this special tactics were mostly not that important or having so much tech ahead of the enemy. But maybe i just do not get it with tech.

Nice to see tech getting a bit of love, although I still feel like the system could be made a bit deeper in general. But I'm happy to see the military tech side getting reworked a bit.

Can't say that I like the changes I see here.. For one it feels like town and temple infrastructure were just put together to make more space in the tech screen, not because it made sense. I honestly would have preferred if you added another row to the tech tab (Like in the Elder Kings mod) Lastly, I'm a bit worried about game balance of unit types now that so many things are changing (And I wouldn't say that paradox are the best at understanding that "their actions have consequences")

Hello! In the next patch we will be doing some small adjustments to Technologies and Terrain Combat Modifiers, and today we will talk a bit about those changes. The main objectives were to make deciding what military technologies to invest in a bit more interesting, and rebalance the value of terrain with regards to the possible (large) modifiers given by tactics. Before we start, there is the caveat that numbers are not yet final, there might be some adjustments needed after we receive testing feedback.

Technologies

Y0ynqJFnyT6Rrm6-tj2xKMNEodD5jlY8ajchyg2_DGAR4CPmAD0J2KvLya-vpUyPFYaJ6zBSPB2t2UOWTrJVEAWQ3-bvIakYBJANg40E0S6zORRg0nwThIOJzAVrlx7zKM3a4uSr

This is how the Technologies window looks now. City and Temple infrastructure were joined together, while their tax bonus revenue was slightly lowered. Shipbuilding is now an Economy Tech. The Military technologies were changed so now Infantry and Cavalry tech increase morale (up to 40%) and defense (up to 60%) of Infantry and Cavalry units, respectively. On the other hand, Skirmish and Melee technologies affect the Attack value of troops (up to 60%) and decrease the probability of using generic bad tactics. Finally, Military Organization now gives only a low overall bonus to morale (up to 20%) but keeps its importance for Retinue Size, and we added now also Reorganization speed (morale recovery) of armies.

Light Infantry and Elephants, being neither skirmish nor melee troops, do not increase Attack damage. Light infantry base values were bumped a bit to compensate for this. This means that Light Infantry and Elephants will have a bigger impact with low technology, losing a bit of their edge as technology advances. But Light Infantry will also be more relevant in difficult terrain (see below).

Historical Setup of Tech Levels

We also changed the initial values of technologies a little, to be more historically asymmetrical. In the picture above you can see the Constantinople values at game start. As an advanced society, Constantinople can build more advanced buildings, and has increased Military Organization and Legalism. But the Frankish lands will have some superiority in Melee and Cavalry. The Frank/Norman Knights were a fearsome sight on the Battlefield.

Combat Modifiers

The combat tactics interplay can give bonus of up to 900% to some troop types, while making others non-attackers. To make terrain, especially difficult terrain like Mountains, more relevant for a battle, the defender bonus was increased for most infantry types, especially for light infantry (see the picture below).

Narrow Flank is a feature of a battle where the number of enemy troops that can attack is limited by the number of troops on the flank the gets the bonus. We changed Narrow Flank to both become more probable in difficult terrain and be modified in a more consistent way if you have a leader with the Battlefield Terrain Master trait. The effect of Narrow Flank was also extended to the skirmish phase, to have a larger impact in a battle.

FJ6j2H0w6d-5tEQtSlxzYkkyPEtKCPcP-o-AwyeXvFZ4AEdZFgvLinIU3YifEgGzK3MCMjSw0KFem5yOGBLfRVsEzOkIyyCTVYjyOIl5n-RtFl431BGqvEpn3FVXSqq7e6i20yd-

We hope that these changes will give you players more control over the battle conditions and thus increase the influence your decisions have over the battle outcome. Together with the tech rebalance, we hope these changes will improve the CK2 experience for both new and experienced players.

Finally, as stated before, these numbers are not final, and if you feel strongly about something, let us know.

Can you please fix the bug which occurs when I try to rename a dynasty which has shield from the Dynasty Shield DLC? It shows a yellow empty shield instead of the DLC one. I reported this bug for the second time, firstly before 3.1 and it's still in the game. Annoys me a lot.

Thank you!!!

These changes look pretty slick- well done.

However, I can imagine these changes to the tech categories and combat stats might be save-breaking. Has/will any testing be done to see if old 3.1 or 3.0.1 saves will still be playable after this new patch hits?

I have an immortal Matilda of Tuscany 3.0 save that I haven't quite finished exhausting all the possibilities of yet. It takes lots of time to reform the Roman Empire, ya know! ;)

The main thing I see is a slight nerf for Norse tribals, since tribals can't research econ tech, and Norse are heavily incentivized to go full martial at expense of other stats, so raiding will be bottlenecked by ship tech. I think it's necessary, though. Coastal raiding is a little too strong at the moment, imo.

Not a terrible idea to update tech, but a horribly inefficient waste of time and resources at this moment when there are literally hundreds and hundreds of unaddressed bugs. More of which will be introduced by modifying the tech levels.

Finally tech changes!
It's strange that culture tech getting no mention though; that tree is too linear. I would be much interested to invest in customs if they improve output the interactions. E.G. Noble Custom lvl4 would give more opinion for feasts, etc. rather than a static opinion buff.