• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
141 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello all, it’s time for another DD about ZombieInvasion <Secret DLC*>! Today we’ll take a look at what we’ve done to the Maimed trait. Well, we’ve removed it! People without <Secret DLC> can still be Maimed, of course, but the lucky owners of <Secret DLC> will instead receive more specific injuries, such as: One-handed, One-legged, One-Eyed, Disfigured, or Mangled (this represents severe trauma to the torso, mostly). As well as allowing more specific wounds and flavor, this has allowed us to remove the Health penalty from most of these traits (Mangled still has one though). Instead, when you receive a maiming-type injury you will also receive the Severely Injured trait, which has some health and stat penalties, but will be lost after some time has passed. Afterall, while losing a hand is certainly not an enjoyable process, you do eventually heal up and can be perfectly healthy besides the missing appendage. Also, if anyone is feeling creative, please suggest interesting effects for these new traits - we do of course have some penalties on them, but I worry they are a little dull, so fire away and I may shamelessly steal your ideas.

Since both One-eyed and Disfigured affect the faces of characters, we have added a lot of new portrait props to reflect this. Here is a small sample of what you might see ingame:
showcase.jpg

We have also added several events relating to life with missing body parts:
facey.jpg

a disfigured ruler holds a masquerade ball

handy.jpg

the loss of a hand is a severe blow to a famous warrior

That’s all for now, next week I am not certain which DD we will show, either I will talk about some extra Pagan features we’ve added, or Doomdark will give you some of his thoughts about CK2. It will be a surprize!

*= DLC contains no zombies

Reactions:
Reactions:
I hope Severely Injured characters will still have a high risk of dying. Since the blood loss and infections... Ofc when you lose a part and heal it it doesn't effect your health, but the process of healing it (or not) is really what does effect health.

Yes, also perhaps I should have mentioned it again here, but we do have an "Infection" trait which I mentioned back in...DD#2? You can pick it up when you get wounded etc and makes for an even worse time.

Also, I think a character should also gain disabilities with old age. You know, start limping, become deaf, etc. Do you have a plan to implement something like this?

We do not. We had thought about Deafness as a trait, but there are so many events where you are assumed to be hearing someone talk it would have either ment disabling or re-writing them for a marginally interesting trait.

I hope this won't be a separate "cripple portrait DLC".

Nope. All the DDs I've done are for <Secret DLC>, all one DLC. There will be a content pack too, but I haven't mentioned anything from that yet.

Reactions:
Is it possible for someone to lose both their hands, legs, etc.?

No, losing both would block you from so many basic tasks rather than just making things more difficult, so we've stuck to the one loss.

Quite meager news.

Events can be created by modders, paradox just wastes time on it. These events are just silly. Modders do a much better job.

I also don't need 13 ways of being injured. Adds only cosmetics (quite literally).

Well cool, play mods then. You do understand we have people whose job is literally to make events though, right? It's not like the programmers do it on the side [much].

Reactions:
It's not in the plan. We do have the chance to become infirm/incapable as you age already though, but they are quite broad.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Would it be possible to have a to have a prosthetic hand like Gotz von Berlichingen?

We don't currently have that, but I would like to add it if we have time.

Will the mask portraits also be used for characters with leprosy?

Yes and no. It is not added directly to lepers, but lepers do tend to become disfigured.

More seriously, will nicknames be updated to cover the new injury system? It'd be nice for a ruler with, for example, a prosthetic metal limb to become known as "Ironhand", and so on.

Yes, we added a bunch of nicknames, and not just for this.

Reactions:
Some good ideas! I'm not going to reply to every suggestion, but we've noted down quite a few, so thanks!

I don't think me playing MODs will somehow magically make you change the focus of your DLC, or? The point was that the meat of the DLC seems to be mainly cosmetical, which I dislike (agree with this or not). Especially (in addition [note: in addition != only]) since that's something the community can do. The fact that the events in my opinion are silly and very un-medieval just further adds to that and is a huge problem on its own (again, agree or not). Not only for this DLC but since a few DLCs back, the quality has had a major drop in consistency and design (again, you can listen or ignore).

That's exactly what I expected. So case in point++: You really, really, really are doing the wrong thing.

Indeed not. My point was, if this DLC doesn't appeal and you think mods do a better job you are in no way compelled to get this. Your suggestion that we stop making scripted content is... well, I don't think we're going to be able to make you happy here.

I just hope that for once by "Pagan" you actually mean "Pagan" and not "Norse-only" as usual.

I mentioned this in an earlier DD thread too, but both Norse and the Defensive Pagans got some new stuff.

is there gonna be some trait or portrait for burns?

Nope, could perhaps be covered by the disfigured mask though.

Please no. Don't have an achievement that's entirely lucky based just for the sake of having it. I'm sure there are any number of interesting/fun/amusing achievements related to maiming that the player can actually influence somewhat that could be done instead - like succeeding at doing certain things while maimed. Winning a duel while one-handed or something.

I'm afraid some will be. While there are completionists, there are also others who enjoy getting a cheevo when the stars align correctly.

I understand this yes, but both blindness nor deafness are rarely quite so absolute (unless, of course, your eyes have been gouged out by a Byzantine torturer). The vast majority of people with naturally-developed hearing problems, including myself (although they could also be earned in the noisy, explosive chaos of war), are not profoundly deaf but somewhere along the scale of deafness where it inhibits interaction but we can of course still hear those conversations - even whispers, sometimes (although I might expect a hit to my Intrigue...) - that are so important to your events.

Have you therefore considered the possibility of such intermediate sense-related traits as 'Myopic' or 'Hearing-Impaired', either of which could also come in inherited genetic flavours? It would help dance around those narrative issues whilst still providing some appropriate flavour.

Those would make sense for a more general health problems system, they don't exactly make sense as a result of maiming though.

I'm confused how does one get a secret dlc?

We will announce it properly at some point and you will be able to buy it as normal. Currently we have the odd situation of me telling you all about something we haven't officially announced.

I remember that in Game of Thrones Jaime sufferd from so called phantom pains even when de stump was healed. Are you including something like that in the dlc to?

Phantom pains are one of the new events, yes!

If you have possessed trait, can you heal completely from all those mentioned injuries (just as blind, one handed etc.) by miracle, as you healed before from a maimed trait?

That's only for Satan spawn, IIRC, not all possessed. But yes, they recover from the new traits too.

I believe it would be fair to say that the Dev's have been having a lot of fun with this new expansion.

We really have.

Are the traits listed here all the maimed traits? What about losing an ear or nose for example? This looks great and I'm absolutely looking forward to getting maimed with the next patch, but one can never have too many injuries, right? ;)

Those are all, yes.

Can I still grow my limbs back with the power of satan?

Satan's power is limitless!

Will the "Maiming Kitten of Doom" event be updated with the new traits?

Yes. Actually, after toying with it giving One-eyed or Mangled, I believe it was toned down to Wounded.

Although it may be impossible , will you fill the gap between (maybe 769 ) 867 and 1066 ,fill the black hole of the provinces in the history data (ex: Maldives doesn't have a ruler after 1141) or improve the game efficacy ?

There will be no pre-1066 gap filling. Any playable dates with missing rulers are bugs though, and they will be fixed as much as possible. We are working on general optimizations too.

Not exactly related, but maybe related to <Secret DLC>. My humble idea:

Could you define various reason of death? So dying a natural death -> died of a stroke, died a peaceful death etc.
Or dying of an accident -> fell of the stairs, run over by a horse etc.

And when your dying, couldn´t there be cases where you die slowly: "I´m on my deathbed". For a couple of days or so?

That would be sweet. I was always thinking: "Man, I would like to know how he died". Would give double-plus for the storytelling immersion.

Oh, besides, I love this game.

Cheers,

Dennis

We haven't added more specifics to, e.g. "Natural death", but we have added a bunch of new death reasons to cover the new injuries and illnesses.

I wonder of these masks also effect diseases like Syphilis, and if the masks are generated randomly or thanks to one's personality. For example, a cruel ruler could wear a black mask (like Cesare Borgia for example) while wealthy leaders could have one of gold.

Also, is the mask optional, or will it be added instantly with the required stat? I would love to take it on and off at will, though I doubt that will happen though.

Anyway, good job! Looking forward to this DLC!!!

The masks are applied instantly, so no peeking at your broken face. The style and material of the masks are related to your rank, culture, some randomness, and can be affected by events.

Wait a sec, i saw these "maimed" traits somewhere, hmmm. Ohh yes, Elder Kings Mod

Coincidence, right ? .........

So... You think Elder kings invented the concept of being injured in specific ways and we have stolen their original and patented ideas? No, I had no idea EK had this, but it's not exactly a unique concept, and as you can see right in the screenshots you have posted, they have some rather different ones.

I don't know if it was posted before, but I am willing to bet that the name of the new yet un-announced DLC is going to be "The Way of Death."

It is not :p We have joked about that name internally though!

Gout Arthritis was common in those days.

We have Gout! :)

Has paraplegic been added as a trait?

Nope.

Reactions:
So in the end Suomenusko will be just as bland compared to the Norse who will get even more stuff.

Looking at the current situation when it comes to religions, you should fully focus your attention on defensive pagans.

It's not a competition. More Suomenusko content is more Suomenusko content regardless of what other content is added too.

Reactions:
I've been moaning about this for ages, all the minor branches of Islam too and the Nestorians. In fact I'd also pay for content packs that added flavour and events specific to different cultures - Armenians, Welsh, Mande and so on.
I'd pay for a Brittany takes over the world content pack! Or more platypi!

Reactions:
Is injury/maiming becoming more common with [Secret DLC]? Looking at the portraits it seems like at least three of them have maimed/disfigured successors and the queen has a disfigured regent.

Well, a bit since treatments can go badly and leprosy can give it, but the pics here are a result of running commands to gives the traits to everyone for ease of screenshotting.

Reactions: