• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2: Dev Diary #117 - Historical Wonders

Hello, builders, architects and peasants.

Today we will be telling you about the Historical Great Works that already exist in game. Of course there are so many Great Works that it would have been hard to fit them all in so we have chosen just a select few.

We also decided not to place a Great Work in Constantinople. The walls are already represented in game, and this will give the player a chance to build their own Great Work there. Also adding historical Great Works is rather easy via modding so you can set up the exact type of Great Work you want!

So without further ado I present the historical Great Works present at the 769 game start:

Pyramids of Khufu

HPrQeLdk968nzzbZ0_xpHwlRQbKlYDbAzWgdkY1EMlER7nlqywtHllkRXOowJe5kBgDOeRQtAJNs3bZrUVBqa76Xmb_8opTmjQbFEhVOHH3SGJ2lXhcfBtFM8OkHDyeQdUxam90a

Stonehenge

osJl8LTR-1l9jJc6LRPeqsq74HfCOJG8RzPCxYCMuGJndAoddpBHlgS3OlR9gNIofBBBCOEcB4Lhv54t6Pc-ineE7j21e_56RGYJGPPclk5nNnjDC3pTP1NiVTCWdfG9aKwVPWYT

Mausoleum of Halicarnassus

psBuITmLV5yGgjbwgLk-T9Roonn6oF-i0gLFzjEdvjbI4QGdW-dSVeMXeYmYblQycI3Va7q3hjO0VG6fVskFtHmBWU5n0p4rOvgwR3CaVz6v-R2o6cS2S4Bj7MUlUX_UCr6hIsR3

Lighthouse of Alexandria
lbo-VOVL_Havr9t0QKAbM2h89N2aCeV3hzQYWJvvYGvnu0BzO-K8NYvougFvc8wp7en1KYrSGu7WnRDCcLHyLkFCq9oTKyodHGvEqJolOj-go0lOWr5zsaGgnHPjnwWAgxpA3nYT

Konark Sun Temple

B_Dher72xr4niq8cQAUUDbnRgM3uTZM9jK5Rxw-K5CkUOI-T5NDX5_YQXnQOcyZmVRLfMPqGCu4cfxRDj-Rx5vCBTt3yZ-wVSLK7xlw-fBX740pBZyq4OCD1wAeBVlp5QAyy9GBd

Apostolic Palace

9Ez_FKeR5wpZCu-AG8dG872W9fM09wD4Sa_utPwRLWuSDBcp7Zs4pypexOZe_Rubcw-cTVZz_6IZQufiYek_JsGrniwF9PK47j3Ww36L0kywyRZWGsRveO2prESagyqyE_tFhfMb

House of Wisdom

_M3XUgEIoBTetJWzEocdTqS7hhPvxfJq3i9UmLxxGrI9vo6fWZY7Om3XSjmPYsj_sjWX-jRXP57dVa04-DWQwDcl4kBNKPXY_MSd1VybKMD9cT11Moq4rzU5ZJR_uoq-qdlgq_Gd

Petra

5udi_IngIzG9WuISlKHwuLqvbcce4nc_5EC4ZUbJ9R8yTD9pEfqK1Ft6rRqflaNB8TJBYTx-XBRj1leeootbhyicYAtU30awGeHQDXBlL6JUuhqNJipRkVurXQ1GSF6MHvzyoA6I

Great Works in EU4
The thousands of ducats that the rulers invest in the foundations of the Great Works are investments that will have effects for ages. To make sure this characterizes your realm even more, we’ve made sure to transfer these feats when we’re converting save games from CK2 to EU4.

The rule is that every Great Work that has completed its final stage will be represented by a permanent province modifier in a converted EU4 game. By default we also ignore any historical Great Works that were present at the start of the campaign of CK2 but that rule is easily changed by modifying a value in the defines file before converting.

Different types of province modifier will apply depending on the type of Great Work it originated from. The following list will define the effects of the fully completed Great Works in converted EU4 games:

Cathedrals
Local Tax Modifier +100%
Papal Influence +1

Grand Mosque
Local Tax Modifier +100%
Monthly Piety +0.01
Missionaries +1

Synagogue
Local Tax Modifier +100%
Legitimacy +1

Great Temple
Local Tax Modifier +100%
Religious Unity +15%

Great Buddhist Temple
Local Tax Modifier +100%
Tolerance of Heathens +1

Great Hindu Temple
Local Tax Modifier +100%
Tolerance of Heathens +1

Ruler Statue
Legitimacy +0.5
Max Absolutism +10

Grand Fortress
Local Defensiveness +100%
Local Manpower Modifier +100%
Army Tradition +0.5

Great Underground City
Local Defensiveness +50%
Local Development Cost -15%
Local Hostile Attrition +2%
Local Core Creation Cost +100%

Great Walls
Local Trade Power +50%
Local Hostile Attrition +2%
Local Defensiveness +50%
Caravan Power +20%

Great Harbor
Local Trade Power +50%
Local Sailors +100%
Naval Force Limit Modifier +15%

Great Lighthouse
Local Trade Power +50%
Global Ship Trade Power +30%
Trade Range Modifier +25%

Grand Amphitheater
Global Unrest -1
War Exhaustion Cost -20%
General Cost -10%

Royal Palace
Max States +5
Monthly Splendor +1

Magnificent Garden
Diplomats +1
Global Spy Offence +40%
Global Spy Defence -20% (sic)

Grand University
Local Development Cost -10%
Advisor Pool +1
Global Institution Spread +15%

Great Library
Local Development Cost -10%
Advisor Cost -15%
Diplomats +1

Grand Mausoleum
Legitimacy +1
Diplomatic Reputation +2
Fabricate Claims Cost -20%

Great Pyramid
Legitimacy +1
Stability Cost Modifier -10%

Great Stone Circle
Number of Accepted Cultures +1
Idea Cost -10%

That's all for today! But if you want to check out what this looks like in-game, please tune into our first ever 3.1 Great Works stream today (Friday the 22nd) at 14:00CET on twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive where we’ll be playing on the hottest of code.

If you can’t catch the livestream, we’ll be uploading it to our YouTube channel soon, and it is also always available in the Twitch VOD archive.

Last edited by a moderator:
We also decided not to place a Great Work in Constantinople.
Not even the Hagia Sophia? That seems like an odd choice, given that the Hagia Sophia was something of a 'cathedral amongst cathedrals'.

That said, still really impressed. Looking forward to the update! :)

Echoing Andrzej, why is the Hagia Sophia not included in Constantinople?

Also, can we upgrade the preexisting wonders? Would they then transfer over?

Not even the Hagia Sophia? That seems like an odd choice, given that the Hagia Sophia was something of a 'cathedral amongst cathedrals'.

Agreed, even though i feel like the walls should remain a special building, i feel like the Hagia Sophia has its place as a wonder !

Can we build more than one wonder in province? I don't want to make it as Civ game however it'd be cool if we had more stuff in one place.
For example i wanna rebuild both Great library and have lighthouse in Alexandria. Or have mausoleums, the palace and gardens in Constantinople, etc.

We also decided not to place a Great Work in Constantinople. The walls are already represented in game, and this will give the player a chance to build their own Great Work there. Also adding historical Great Works is rather easy via modding so you can set up the exact type of Great Work you want!

And I respect that. But why not Hagia Sophia?

And is that really a concern when we can make wonders in our other demesne counties, and holdings are always owned by the top liege?

U wot m8? Fite me 1v1 irl

If we mod in Great Works to certain provinces is that Ironman-compatible? I want to add some more historical ones to some provinces, like the Iron Pillar of Ashoka or the Statue of Bahubali at Sravanabelagola.

Also, thanks for all your work!

Will i be able to build Great Works? :)

+5 states on the palace?

Thank gawd; even a medium sized CK2 realm can enter eu4 amd max out the allowed states hard

Edit: question

How does the apostolic palace interact with the hellenic event of burning Rome to the effing ground?

If it's just "ruined" that would mean you basically have a catholic ruin blocking you from doing anything hellenic in the province, if its destroyed then you permanently destroy something even if the pope wins it back

Maybe a decision to "convert" the wonder into a hellenic one? Or back to catholic if held by the pope?

Hagia Sophia or riot!

But seriously great job! I'm looking forward to playing with this update. Especially happy to see House of Wisdom included. I always felt that Baghdad needed something special along these lines and here it is!

Last edited:

Come on, not giving Hagia Sophia the status of a level 3 or 4 wonder is valid reason to imprison the designers without gaining any tyrany!!!! ;);)

You know, I'm not suggesting that the existence of Stonehenge should tie into the in-game revival of Celtic paganism somehow, but...

Wait, no, that's exactly what I'm suggesting.

"The palace of the Pope himself, sitting at the heart of Rome."
Or, as the image suggests, in the middle of a meadow. :D

Stonehenge

osJl8LTR-1l9jJc6LRPeqsq74HfCOJG8RzPCxYCMuGJndAoddpBHlgS3OlR9gNIofBBBCOEcB4Lhv54t6Pc-ineE7j21e_56RGYJGPPclk5nNnjDC3pTP1NiVTCWdfG9aKwVPWYT

Mausoleum of Halicarnassus

psBuITmLV5yGgjbwgLk-T9Roonn6oF-i0gLFzjEdvjbI4QGdW-dSVeMXeYmYblQycI3Va7q3hjO0VG6fVskFtHmBWU5n0p4rOvgwR3CaVz6v-R2o6cS2S4Bj7MUlUX_UCr6hIsR3

Lighthouse of Alexandria
lbo-VOVL_Havr9t0QKAbM2h89N2aCeV3hzQYWJvvYGvnu0BzO-K8NYvougFvc8wp7en1KYrSGu7WnRDCcLHyLkFCq9oTKyodHGvEqJolOj-go0lOWr5zsaGgnHPjnwWAgxpA3nYT

What happened to poor Stonehenge?!? Even the earliest realisistic drawings of the location still had the rough "arches" (what else do you call them?) intact. It's two miles from the closest town, so unlikely to have been pillaged. Multiple realistic drawings dating from 1500s and some photos dating to the late 1800s are on the Wikipedia article.

The state of Halicarnassus makes some sense, based on the fact that the earliest report of it's state after ancient times was by the Knights of St. John, who stated there was nothing left.

Does the Lighthouse get ravaged by earthquake events, since that's what happened historically?