• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #110 - It's not a bug.

The Bugs of Holy Fury!

Holy Fury development was a long and winding road, and along that road were, believe it or not a few bugs. Let me tell you about some of them.

Emperor Assassin
This one is a personal favorite of mine. Upon adding the kill list to track character kills we noticed that, the Chinese Emperor had the most kills. Upon further investigation we realised he was getting the credit for an event where a Chinese Noble is assassinated by China. So the Emperor was personally sneaking into their room at night and strangling them with a piece of silk.

lmns46qp46rIFYDlAm-9AYb62thSIa0tLK_z6uW944_L4Of8u2pTlwa_LeGaTf9ZmvJ9hdEOsa-hsDslFNYmeHz0BpISnmpxeN4SHEJEcTorgb91FPIvwwB_jHCGAU-hK0IZBlNK
BW8sttXf5Glm0ejOp-hchjRVYsaMzjXFWVI0F5wm5Fq2Qh5mR4_p4QJzvHb2-7Xj7viVYsAnxcHoTsstQESKzguEOjNOAs_1a1JauSnyKf-OCOa2vYljOIr4yWs0RrekFPFw_Sxx

Dramatic recreation

Escape Armour
When we added the new battle events, a wonderful new event was added where it is possible to throw down one of your artifacts to distract your opponent when you run away. Unfortunately/ fortunately this included the armour you were wearing. The mental image of you slipping out of your armour on the battlefield is wonderful. Infact this bug was so good we made it a feature.

ad6WQQM8ZPWQwOVAVT1iDNytperuO693qHi7OJJx2VrKJg3uXIRJf46apLEBa-lSuZQRT4v-vHa-ZtWNA_ozWzOK7ygINAXfTv3giwmtyP3xdEiKO_uUUIik_km0m2kU5Gl1T0Hh

Imprisoning everyone

Using some fun commands and curiosity one dev managed to imprison everyone in the world. Unfortunately unpausing the game would cause the whole thing to crash, who would have guessed eh?

zXg560h_X9UL41-q2IQYtJoiab2zj6TfwC6EjguEFuylRAf2-x5OG_lrzUuS60J7W0edpfF60AQT2A0ED-MpWtZQc_NLjxFUnClef-ZsP5rAkaiQ7k1LZp6ggsBbpslb87Jyo05u

Confused Pope
The Pope is annoyed if you go on the fourth crusade but even more annoyed if you don’t show up. I guess the pope despite his best attempts just can’t resist a crusade.

GOZ54cgtHqQN5-SOPJ8jPKHbxu2_QuYJZrbe7VnI8I3uDM2QgbsFJmyW8N0T-5xD6JYL8IJEDbrYBb6cRTALFPsjsnGsmk4kMG_9yVDf9zIa1zHZycMOX4MTlTKnU3rwzhSGe4pl

Hairless animals
Animals entering the barbershop would crash the game since they “lack hair”.

UI-scaling
Implementing UI scaling was as simple as flipping a switch, our coders didn’t have to do any work at all.
czgvthp7FeGSJhVjgrDcx_wPIvhghEIFpAcY4JCXAp1Sxnea4VU2DIsA2dRwgL1EaJW3bprWb8fZMfv2nqNPVzkNdXrl6d-xTdbiLhyEVp7IxjspR7NKoE8PNRYTemIUIz9rZWAe

Great Strength
When duels were getting their upgrade, it was implemented so different weapons would be used including bare hands. Due to some variables not being set up yet this led to people consistently severing limbs with their bare hands.

3kYOJTxv9Qd2sdti5JjQyyiOTWdgv--S-C7xZrrmV3UL9BRRcQ3-bZ8ZpOfyyJqVExH71HXjmtKEwDRY6r6Lz-aKqlzdSl1FL2IaMOjAJG3bRo5jdf6bjenlY8R5H85x5BBYLQEi

AI problems
The AI, just before winning a crusade decided to set their crusade beneficiary and who better to benefit from the crusade than their 80 year old syphilitic, non-dynastic aunt?

Thanks for reading!

Dan

Good afternoon,is there any update on the currently official Paradox stance about if Holy Fury is the last DLC or not? Thanks.
Cordially.

Is a developer can answer to the question i have asked in this post:https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...iary-110-its-not-a-bug.1130728/#post-24877476,please.
Thanks.
Cordially.

As they like but i think the silence is bad for business.However,it's just my opinion.
Cordially.

I know that if every time I released an update for the system I develop at work, people e-mailed me - or posted on the corporate intranet - asking whether it was done for good and my team was about to be broken up, I'd be pretty unhappy and disinclined to answer.

In any case, this is a business planning decision, not one for the dev team. PDS has just brought White Wolf in-house, apparently ahead of schedule, so I suspect business planning stuff is in flux right now. Harassing the devs about it does nothing, except perhaps puts them off replying on the forum at all. We're fortunate to have such responsive devs on this game; please stop bugging them.

nd

No news yet, but we will keep you posted!

This may be a pointless question but can we get a hotfix for the Pope? A temporary fix for him to cool off on the constant excommunications? It makes playing as a Catholic unbearable since excommunications weakens Catholics and destabilizes realms. Catholic Europe is a pretty large chunk of the game so it would be nice to get that fixed ASAP!

A great DD!

No mention of those super spoopy ghosts in Andalusia?
Those are funny bugs they noticed and fixed during development

This post was obviously not about bugs in the released version. They didn't notice issues with CoAs and portrait packs because their testing machines have all of the DLC installed, whereas those issues are often caused by people not having all the graphical DLC.

I know that if every time I released an update for the system I develop at work, people e-mailed me - or posted on the corporate intranet - asking whether it was done for good and my team was about to be broken up, I'd be pretty unhappy and disinclined to answer.

In any case, this is a business planning decision, not one for the dev team. PDS has just brought White Wolf in-house, apparently ahead of schedule, so I suspect business planning stuff is in flux right now. Harassing the devs about it does nothing, except perhaps puts them off replying on the forum at all. We're fortunate to have such responsive devs on this game; please stop bugging them.

nd
No problem,i no longer do that and sorry.I agree with you.It's indeed a decision that is taken from Paradox Interactive or by @Johan because it's the CEO of PDS.When i ask for a stance,i want a answer from @Johan or from PI,not the devs itself.
Cordially.

No problem,i no longer do that and sorry.I agree with you.It's indeed a decision that is taken from Paradox Interactive or by @Johan because it's the CEO of PDS.When i ask for a stance,i want a answer from @Johan or from PI,not the devs itself.
Cordially.
Then you are asking in the wrong place. Try asking in the ask paradox anything thread.

Will we ever be able to do something about "Your son ran away and took 100 gold from the treasury" event due to not wanting to be a warrior? I sailed over to the island where my son had taken refuge in hopes of hauling him back to my territory but I was only able to duel and slaughter that filthy traitor because he was leading an enemy army. It would be nice to get some flavor text or something when dealing with thieving. traitorous heirs...

He was still the designated heir too. I would think after pulling such a stunt he would forfeit any claim to my kingdom. :mad:

Then you are asking in the wrong place. Try asking in the ask paradox anything thread.

Given that the question is about a specific game, that would be the wrong thread for it (though this one isn't really the right one either).

Emperor Assassin
This one is a personal favorite of mine. Upon adding the kill list to track character kills we noticed that, the Chinese Emperor had the most kills. Upon further investigation we realised he was getting the credit for an event where a Chinese Noble is assassinated by China. So the Emperor was personally sneaking into their room at night and strangling them with a piece of silk.

Does that mean that getting credit from people dying in our dungeons is also a bug? (since we never actually personally kill said people).
Come to think of it - what about people we order executed?

I always thought it was more kills we were responsible for - so if he orders said nobles sent to the service of the ancestors, should he not get credit?

Swedes don't like to do any work in the month of December.
It is an ancient tradition that stems from the battle of Oppdal in Norway in 11th December 975.
The Swedes tried to invade, but they were soundly defeated by the Norwegians.
This created the legend that Swedes are particularly inept in the month of December.
That is why we shouldn't expect a patch before Christmas.

That is why we shouldn't expect a patch before Christmas.

I share that tought, or maybe we won't get it until after New Year. I hope they can fix the HRE thing and as well the Pope excommunication problem.

Will we ever be able to do something about "Your son ran away and took 100 gold from the treasury" event due to not wanting to be a warrior? I sailed over to the island where my son had taken refuge in hopes of hauling him back to my territory but I was only able to duel and slaughter that filthy traitor because he was leading an enemy army. It would be nice to get some flavor text or something when dealing with thieving. traitorous heirs...

He was still the designated heir too. I would think after pulling such a stunt he would forfeit any claim to my kingdom. :mad:

Wait, he don't want to be a warrior and lead a army. Whut?:confused:

Does that mean that getting credit from people dying in our dungeons is also a bug? (since we never actually personally kill said people).
Come to think of it - what about people we order executed?

I always thought it was more kills we were responsible for - so if he orders said nobles sent to the service of the ancestors, should he not get credit?

oh with the battleevents and i saw pirates of the carribian again some fun event popped up into my mind. Maybe if your intregue or combat skill is good enough you could try to stop the assassin and if the assissin will be male or female you could gain his/her friendship or even love which could cause some other issues......

EDIT has anyone already installed an enatic religious character on the throne of China? will all future chinese empress be male or female?

The recent DLCs have had their first non-hotfix patch around a month after release, and trivial bugs usually don't get hotfixed on their own; most hotfixes tend to include either a crash fix (or several) or an EU4 Converter update, so unless those things are necessary at the moment there might not be a hotfix at all (and, with an EU4 DLC coming on the 11th, I imagine that any Converter issues will wait for that since you otherwise probably need to redo things).
I think Charlemagne not being able to found the HRE is enough to require a hotfix asap.