• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #110 - It's not a bug.

The Bugs of Holy Fury!

Holy Fury development was a long and winding road, and along that road were, believe it or not a few bugs. Let me tell you about some of them.

Emperor Assassin
This one is a personal favorite of mine. Upon adding the kill list to track character kills we noticed that, the Chinese Emperor had the most kills. Upon further investigation we realised he was getting the credit for an event where a Chinese Noble is assassinated by China. So the Emperor was personally sneaking into their room at night and strangling them with a piece of silk.

lmns46qp46rIFYDlAm-9AYb62thSIa0tLK_z6uW944_L4Of8u2pTlwa_LeGaTf9ZmvJ9hdEOsa-hsDslFNYmeHz0BpISnmpxeN4SHEJEcTorgb91FPIvwwB_jHCGAU-hK0IZBlNK
BW8sttXf5Glm0ejOp-hchjRVYsaMzjXFWVI0F5wm5Fq2Qh5mR4_p4QJzvHb2-7Xj7viVYsAnxcHoTsstQESKzguEOjNOAs_1a1JauSnyKf-OCOa2vYljOIr4yWs0RrekFPFw_Sxx

Dramatic recreation

Escape Armour
When we added the new battle events, a wonderful new event was added where it is possible to throw down one of your artifacts to distract your opponent when you run away. Unfortunately/ fortunately this included the armour you were wearing. The mental image of you slipping out of your armour on the battlefield is wonderful. Infact this bug was so good we made it a feature.

ad6WQQM8ZPWQwOVAVT1iDNytperuO693qHi7OJJx2VrKJg3uXIRJf46apLEBa-lSuZQRT4v-vHa-ZtWNA_ozWzOK7ygINAXfTv3giwmtyP3xdEiKO_uUUIik_km0m2kU5Gl1T0Hh

Imprisoning everyone

Using some fun commands and curiosity one dev managed to imprison everyone in the world. Unfortunately unpausing the game would cause the whole thing to crash, who would have guessed eh?

zXg560h_X9UL41-q2IQYtJoiab2zj6TfwC6EjguEFuylRAf2-x5OG_lrzUuS60J7W0edpfF60AQT2A0ED-MpWtZQc_NLjxFUnClef-ZsP5rAkaiQ7k1LZp6ggsBbpslb87Jyo05u

Confused Pope
The Pope is annoyed if you go on the fourth crusade but even more annoyed if you don’t show up. I guess the pope despite his best attempts just can’t resist a crusade.

GOZ54cgtHqQN5-SOPJ8jPKHbxu2_QuYJZrbe7VnI8I3uDM2QgbsFJmyW8N0T-5xD6JYL8IJEDbrYBb6cRTALFPsjsnGsmk4kMG_9yVDf9zIa1zHZycMOX4MTlTKnU3rwzhSGe4pl

Hairless animals
Animals entering the barbershop would crash the game since they “lack hair”.

UI-scaling
Implementing UI scaling was as simple as flipping a switch, our coders didn’t have to do any work at all.
czgvthp7FeGSJhVjgrDcx_wPIvhghEIFpAcY4JCXAp1Sxnea4VU2DIsA2dRwgL1EaJW3bprWb8fZMfv2nqNPVzkNdXrl6d-xTdbiLhyEVp7IxjspR7NKoE8PNRYTemIUIz9rZWAe

Great Strength
When duels were getting their upgrade, it was implemented so different weapons would be used including bare hands. Due to some variables not being set up yet this led to people consistently severing limbs with their bare hands.

3kYOJTxv9Qd2sdti5JjQyyiOTWdgv--S-C7xZrrmV3UL9BRRcQ3-bZ8ZpOfyyJqVExH71HXjmtKEwDRY6r6Lz-aKqlzdSl1FL2IaMOjAJG3bRo5jdf6bjenlY8R5H85x5BBYLQEi

AI problems
The AI, just before winning a crusade decided to set their crusade beneficiary and who better to benefit from the crusade than their 80 year old syphilitic, non-dynastic aunt?

Thanks for reading!

Dan

People are getting killed on battlefield without consider their trait, army strength, equiped artifacts, battlefield environment while only check if they have barseker/warrior lodge and just random chance must be a feature too.
After all, an emperor leading 10k army to fight 500 viking raiders must have a higher chance to be killed than those vikings. :rolleyes:

HF_battle_events.txt Code below:
#### INJURIES...
10 = {
trigger = {
NOT = { trait = berserker }
NOT = { is_indomitable_trigger = yes } #The "Indomitable" power blocks "very bad stuff"
}
bad_soldier_outcome_score = yes
warrior_lodge_risk_reduction_score = yes
character_event = { id = HFP.11001 } # Killed (remake of 242)
}

As always with script, taking just a small part of it out of context won't give you the full picture, so I'll break it down a bit.

bad_soldier_outcome_score = yes
warrior_lodge_risk_reduction_score = yes

These two are both 'scripted score values' which are lists of modifiers that the check will take into account for example:
- Your Focus
- Your Martial
- Lots more of your traits
- If you are injured
- Your duel experience

Secondly this is just one outcome of several all of which have their own lists of modifiers.

Lastly as we have added many more battle events, the chance of any single event coming up has been lowered too. Hopefully this helps explain it more clearly. :)

Soooo, what about the decision to form the HRE early...what's up with that? Did you guys remove it?

Also PLEASE PLEASE PDX, give us a menu to re-bind the keyboard. We seriously need that flexibility.

The Bugs of Holy Fury!
Great Strength

When duels were getting their upgrade, it was implemented so different weapons would be used including bare hands. Due to some variables not being set up yet this led to people consistently severing limbs with their bare hands.
Dan

I.... don't see the problem here?

As they like but i think the silence is bad for business.However,it's just my opinion.
Cordially.

wtf, in which extreme and totally ureasonable example should that be in anyway bad for any business??? What does it matter if there is another dlc or not? Who cares if there is another dlc?

If there will be more dlc's for ck2 they won't release before summer 2019 or winter 2019, so the information in itself is totally useless.
If there won't be any more ck2 dlc, they will only release some more minor patches/bugfixes and again the information in itself is totally useless. At least until paradox tells us that ck2 is completly finished and there won't be any new bugfixes which obviously anyway will take at least until mid 2019.

I understand that you could not predict the next patch, but are you thinking of releasing a hotfix in the coming days? Some bugs like the one of the HRE in 769, that of the byzantine heir turning republican, that of the black coats of arms or the fact that the gamerules on the enclaves are defective , really break the immersion :( . In addition they have already been fixed or identified according to the answers given during the week . It is quite annoying to wait at least one month until be able to play the game with all features:(

The Bugs of Holy Fury!

AI problems

The AI, just before winning a crusade decided to set their crusade beneficiary and who better to benefit from the crusade than their 80 year old syphilitic, non-dynastic aunt?

I, for one, welcome Queen Syphilis

Someone make a meme out of this. :D

Joking aside I'm a bit disappointed that at least a hotfix wasn't issued for the more glaring issues yet but still overall very happy with 3.0 and Holy Fury. I'm sure the time and effort will be worth it to improve an already good experience.

You already acknowledged the Legendary Gathering bug in another thread (It can only be triggered once per game, the flag doesn't clear after 100 years), any idea when such trivial bugs might be patched?

Great Strength

3kYOJTxv9Qd2sdti5JjQyyiOTWdgv--S-C7xZrrmV3UL9BRRcQ3-bZ8ZpOfyyJqVExH71HXjmtKEwDRY6r6Lz-aKqlzdSl1FL2IaMOjAJG3bRo5jdf6bjenlY8R5H85x5BBYLQEi

Achievement Unlocked: Let the Wookie Win

You already acknowledged the Legendary Gathering bug in another thread (It can only be triggered once per game, the flag doesn't clear after 100 years), any idea when such trivial bugs might be patched?

The recent DLCs have had their first non-hotfix patch around a month after release, and trivial bugs usually don't get hotfixed on their own; most hotfixes tend to include either a crash fix (or several) or an EU4 Converter update, so unless those things are necessary at the moment there might not be a hotfix at all (and, with an EU4 DLC coming on the 11th, I imagine that any Converter issues will wait for that since you otherwise probably need to redo things).

Last edited: