• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #105 - Clergy Interactions Revamp

Hello, everyone.

Today we will be talking of a nice quality of life update to the interface, AI behavior and some new additional flavor regarding the Papacy (as well as any similar religious head that has access to these interactions, such as a Reformed Pagan High Priest with Hierocratic Leadership).

20181019092639_1.jpg

The patch coming with Holy Fury will place all Papal Actions in a more easily accessible list of icons, right under the portrait of your religious head in the Religion screen.

Furthermore, the behavior for all these actions has been un-hardcoded and fully scripted, so the Pope is now much more sensible when deciding who he wants to Excommunicate, and less restrictive when considering the possibility of granting an Invasion casus belli to an ambitious ruler. More importantly, players are now able to see exactly why their religious head is denying them a request.

The AI logic itself has been considerably expanded and tailored to the various actions.

CatholicClergy1.jpg

Having a vassal Pope no longer ensures that all your demands will be automatically accepted, and having an independent Pope will not make it near-impossible to get a favor from him. The Pope will take into consideration Opinion, Piety, traits, the specific circumstances (such as divorcing an infertile wife), and the amount of controlled Cardinal seats when deciding whether to accept a ruler’s request or not. Piety costs for these interactions have also been rebalanced and tied to the ruler’s tier, making them more accessible to low ranking rulers and costlier to Kings and Emperors.

CatholicClergy2.jpg

The Request Claim interaction has been given a special new interface as well to make it more intuitive and accessible to players. Rather than having to search directly for the title that you wish to gain a claim on, you can use the new button in the religious view to get a list of potential Catholic rulers owning titles for which the Pope is willing to grant you a claim on. By clicking on any of them, you will be shown a second window showing the list of all titles owned by the target ruler and from there you can select the one that you are interested in.

20180824084127_1.jpg

Finally, if you are Excommunicated, the Issue Declaration of Repentance decision has been revamped so that it is no longer simply a cash payment.

Much like when requesting a coronation, the Pope will now pick one out of several possible demands for the player to fulfill in exchange for the lifting of his excommunication. Requests can range from a show of contrition causing Prestige loss, to changing your realm laws, to give one of your sons to the Church.

Also, bonus Cardinal clothes, pre and post 1245:

Cardinals preview.jpg

- No, they are only available towards your religious head.

Unfortunate, as that makes autocephaly rather unappealing in a large empire where someone is uppity in the wrong part of it.

Oh, well; burning the Galileans is probably the way to go when restoring the Roman Empire, then...

- No; most events are irreversible, so that would be hard to pull off in the first place.

I was thinking of something like an on_yearly_pulse event checking if the Pope/etc. e.g. has a celibacy_for_excommunication_removal opinion towards someone and if that character no longer is Celibate there'd (possibly) be consequences, but perhaps that's not a good way of doing it.

From the screenshots it looks like opinion modifiers may need some tweaking. It is weird that decision to excommunicate is influenced to such a high degree by positive traits of the requesting party while not taking into account the target's piety.

I'm not familiar with the converter or EU4, so I'm afraid I cannot answer these.

No, Temporal Heads do not get these interactions as a way to balance the Leadership type.

Fylkir, Tietaja, Pontifex Maximus. The titles are not changed based on Leadership.

The Myrmidons.

Thanks for the reply and sorry to bother you again but what about the other pagan religious like Zunist, Slavic, Tengri, what are their reformed leader names?

These changes are great. I'll miss having a pet pope that does my bidding no matter how much he hates me, but ultimately this is healthier for the gameplay.

I was thinking of something like an on_yearly_pulse event checking if the Pope/etc. e.g. has a celibacy_for_excommunication_removal opinion towards someone and if that character no longer is Celibate there'd (possibly) be consequences, but perhaps that's not a good way of doing it.

I don't think that's really worth it. As far as I know the only way to get rid of Celibacy is to join a monastic order, which is something that should be viewed positively by the pope. Or you can just think of it as a perk of being a lay monk.

From the screenshots it looks like opinion modifiers may need some tweaking. It is weird that decision to excommunicate is influenced to such a high degree by positive traits of the requesting party while not taking into account the target's piety.
He might just not have enough, the screenshot was taken at the start of the game he might have like 15 piety (maybe even less since he's cynical)

Thanks for the reply and sorry to bother you again but what about the other pagan religious like Zunist, Slavic, Tengri, what are their reformed leader names.
Zunist = Dastur
Slavic = Chernoban
Tengri = Tengrikut

He might just not have enough, the screenshot was taken at the start of the game he might have like 15 piety (maybe even less since he's cynical)
Yes, this is on start, and she has 5000 Piety.

Zunist = Dastur
Slavic = Chernoban
Tengri = Tengrikut

Yes, this is on start, and she has 5000 Piety.

When I said like Zunist, Slavic Tengri I was using then as an example. I just wanted to know all the other Pagan leader names. Sorry if I made that unclear. I also speak Finnish, Spanish and French so my English isn't the best.

the specific circumstances (such as divorcing an infertile wife),
Does this mean that now there are actual reasons for divorce (like impotence, consanguinity, etc)?
Also, bonus Cardinal clothes, pre and post 1245:

index.php
I've been waiting for those since Sons of Abraham. Thank you.

It is possible, but then it should be acknowledged somehow in the calculation. There is also the matter of positive traits of the requesting party. Collecting them is quite easy and since they come with a large bonus to piety, a player would have an easy time wrecking targets through excommunication. Taking down Kaiser, even the one with free investiture and cynical, should be a hard task, not depend on the requesting party so much and depend on politics more (vassal bishops, religious holdings, accomplishments etc.)

Is it safe to assume that upon reforming any pagan religion, it is the religious leader that will receive the crown artifact if the player chooses the leadership to be either hierocratic or autocephalous?

Edit: And if the leadership chosen is temporal, it is the player character that receives the crown?

Slavic = Chernoban

If I'm not mistaken that means something along the lines of "black lord". While it suits the way I tend to play, it still seem a bit off.

Also, does Autocephalous get any sort of advantage compared to Hierocratic? So far they look the same, except for the number and appointment of religious heads.

When I said like Zunist, Slavic Tengri I was using then as an example. I just wanted to know all the other Pagan leader names. Sorry if I made that unclear. I also speak Finnish, Spanish and French so my English isn't the best.
Baltic = First Vaidila
Aztec = Tlatoani
African = Grand Saltigue
Bon = Dalai Lama
I think that is all of them.
Does this mean that now there are actual reasons for divorce (like impotence, consanguinity, etc)?
Yes.
Is it safe to assume that upon reforming any pagan religion, it is the religious leader that will receive the crown artifact if the player chooses the leadership to be either hierocratic or autocephalous?
Reformation crowns are only for temporal leadership.
Hierocratic religious heads receive a different kind of religious headgear (no artifact).

Fylkir, Tietaja, Pontifex Maximus. The titles are not changed based on Leadership.

Hmm, does CK2 have the letters ö, ä and å? Because it should be "Tietäjä".

Once again fabulous work.

There are so many "I'm going to play X first to test out Y mechanics" things going through my head know I have NO ideas what I'm going to do on release !

Will any other existing diplomatic actions, such as proposing marriages and betrothals, or voting in elective successions also be made scriptable?

Or will we at least be able to see what determines the choice of candidate in elective succession? It would be nice to be able to influence elector's choice.

Will the release fix the bug where the pope allows you to divorce someone for free as many times as you want after they cheat on you once?

This lets you get infinite prestige if you can find a princess with no living relatives (she doesn't leave your court after divorce). You can remarry her for the prestige, instantly divorce her, and repeat forever.