• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #104 - Forging a Bloodline

Greetings.

Before we jump into the dev diary proper we have an exciting announcement. Pagan Fury the official band of Crusader Kings have released their first single that can be found below! Have a listen, let us know what you think and make sure to follow the band on spotify to find out what is coming next.

Pagan Fury banner.png

https://open.spotify.com/artist/6OPsyrpJLYcCZUEhWIEsep

We have already covered the topic of Bloodlines, and more specifically historical Bloodlines, in a past Dev Diary, yet marrying into a famous family is not the only way to gain a Bloodline in Holy Fury.

There are quite a few custom Bloodlines that you can found with your own ruler by several different means. Some can be gained through special actions, such as by building a Legend as a Warrior Lodge Hero, others can be unlocked by performing impressive feats, such as being an extraordinarily dedicated Viking raider or restoring Israel.

20180824091111_1.jpg

Finally, if your ruler has very high Prestige (5000 points or higher) and is Duke-tier or above, you will have access to the new Forge Bloodline ambition.

By picking this ambition you will be provided with several paths to create your own custom Bloodline, tailoring it to whichever kind of ruler you wish to be remembered as.

20180824091215_1.jpg

Each path will lead you to unlock a different bloodline, each coming in different variants (for example pursuing the Murder path will lead you to gain one of four different Murder-related Bloodlines). Additionally, if you pursue more than a single path at the same time, you have a chance of unlocking a hybridized Bloodline, with its own unique perks.

And finally, if you take too long to complete any of the initial paths, having the ambition will trigger a special event chain that will allow you to invest resources and select from yet another pool of potential bloodlines, whose pick will be determined by the choices that you make during the event chain itself.

20180824091711_1.jpg

Some of these Bloodlines grant a static bonus, decreasing the chance of vassals joining factions against you, increasing your plot power, or unlocking special buildings for your realms, others grant more dynamic perks, such as special events to facilitate murder or decisions to meddle in your relatives’ private affairs.

20180824093851_1.jpg

This is it for now, though there's still going to be some news coming today. Do not forget to tune in for our very special stream at 17:00 CEST (https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive).

Last edited:
It would be great to get a list of some example historical bloodlines.... the de Hautevilles for example...

So I started my first Semien run around the time when Holy Fury was announced thinking I can do that without worrying about the Dev Diaries of the upcoming DLC ruin my fun by showing me how my current play would be better a few months down the line...

... a rework of Africa and Israel-founder bloodline later, and confirmed upgrade of Arabic portraits later I'm both happy to have chosen wrong and yet I've lost the will to battle the sultan of Egypt... :D

This is it for now, though there's still going to be some news coming today. Do not forget to tune in for our very special stream at 17:00 CEST (https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive).

Release date perhaps? Here's hoping...

EDIT: One question I have though about bloodlines (please excuse my ignorance if that has already been explained): What happens when the direct descendant of the founder of a bloodline achieves another feat worthy of a bloodline? Let's say you create your own custom bloodline with the mentioned ambition and then later, as your only child, restore Israel. Do the bloodlines get merged? Do you then have 2 bloodlines. Does the Isreal bloodline replace the custom one? What exactly happens there?

It's always nice for Prestige to do stuff.

And I'm sure someone, somewhere, is planning how to make it so that every played character in a game amasses enough prestige to forge a bloodline.

I wonder whether is too frequent that one person stacks too much bloodlines after few generations.

Is there some limitation in place?
The ambition can only be picked if the character does not already own a forged bloodline. Once your dynasty has forged a bloodline, it will only be able to stack more via marriage (or if your heir loses the forged one).