• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #104 - Forging a Bloodline

Greetings.

Before we jump into the dev diary proper we have an exciting announcement. Pagan Fury the official band of Crusader Kings have released their first single that can be found below! Have a listen, let us know what you think and make sure to follow the band on spotify to find out what is coming next.

Pagan Fury banner.png

https://open.spotify.com/artist/6OPsyrpJLYcCZUEhWIEsep

We have already covered the topic of Bloodlines, and more specifically historical Bloodlines, in a past Dev Diary, yet marrying into a famous family is not the only way to gain a Bloodline in Holy Fury.

There are quite a few custom Bloodlines that you can found with your own ruler by several different means. Some can be gained through special actions, such as by building a Legend as a Warrior Lodge Hero, others can be unlocked by performing impressive feats, such as being an extraordinarily dedicated Viking raider or restoring Israel.

20180824091111_1.jpg

Finally, if your ruler has very high Prestige (5000 points or higher) and is Duke-tier or above, you will have access to the new Forge Bloodline ambition.

By picking this ambition you will be provided with several paths to create your own custom Bloodline, tailoring it to whichever kind of ruler you wish to be remembered as.

20180824091215_1.jpg

Each path will lead you to unlock a different bloodline, each coming in different variants (for example pursuing the Murder path will lead you to gain one of four different Murder-related Bloodlines). Additionally, if you pursue more than a single path at the same time, you have a chance of unlocking a hybridized Bloodline, with its own unique perks.

And finally, if you take too long to complete any of the initial paths, having the ambition will trigger a special event chain that will allow you to invest resources and select from yet another pool of potential bloodlines, whose pick will be determined by the choices that you make during the event chain itself.

20180824091711_1.jpg

Some of these Bloodlines grant a static bonus, decreasing the chance of vassals joining factions against you, increasing your plot power, or unlocking special buildings for your realms, others grant more dynamic perks, such as special events to facilitate murder or decisions to meddle in your relatives’ private affairs.

20180824093851_1.jpg

This is it for now, though there's still going to be some news coming today. Do not forget to tune in for our very special stream at 17:00 CEST (https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive).

Last edited:
I like the potentials this provides. So we have deeper pagan reformations and crusades, bloodlines that can be also be created, graphical improvements, map improvements, deeper secular and religious conflict between catholic estates and realms, and so much more. It is physically impossible for me to get more hyped.

Taking the depth and range of this DLC, I can guess we will still have some unannounced or undisclosed features, that will improve game to be even better. And with this much content testing and QA will take some time, by few weeks or couple of months, but you can't rush quality. Keep up the good work, devs.

Just to clarify, if I reform a pagan religion and I forge a bloodline through that (that is if you can do it that way), it can't stack any more prestige if my decedant founds an empire?

I wonder whether is too frequent that one person stacks too much bloodlines after few generations.

Is there some limitation in place?

The biggest thing will be the inheritance system. Most bloodlines are tied to the "dominant" partner (male 99% of the time) with very few like the one in the 4th screenshot seem to be tied to the "consort" (female 99% of the time). The dominant partner will give his bloodlines that are tied to the dominant partner, and vice versa, to his children.

For example: While Charlemagne will give his "dominant" bloodlines to his daughters, you cannot marry the daughters of Charlemagne and get his bloodline. The daughter have her father's bloodline, but she's your "consort" and it is a "dominant" bloodline, so she cannot give it. The only way to get Charly bloodline in your family would be to matri marry his daughter (or play as a woman and normal marry his son) but that would cause the issue of non-dynastic heir into a game over.

There is probably some weird breeding tricks over a few generations to get it, but none come to mind.

I realise that complaining about no release date is getting old hat at this point, but starting off the Dev Diary with the words "exciting announcement," and having that not be the release date is just plain old trolling.

Sensible.

A bit of a pity too, but, y'know, sensible.
I think it's for the best. It allows to set different goals for different playthroughs as well, if you wish to pursue a certain kind of bloodline in one and another in the next.
Would the winner of a children's or shepards crusade be awarded a blood line due to the difficult circumstances?
childrens_crusade_gif.gif
But yes, if the Crusade is successful, the leader gets a special bloodline.

Greetings.
Before we jump into the dev diary proper we have an exciting announcement. Pagan Fury the official band of Crusader Kings have released their first single that can be found below! Have a listen, let us know what you think and make sure to follow the band on spotify to find out what is coming next.

View attachment 410375
https://open.spotify.com/artist/6OPsyrpJLYcCZUEhWIEsep
Just listen to it, nice music! Love that this has become the official band for Crusader Kings, will be nice to play the game with this music (same for the Sabaton numbers in Paradox games). Also followed the band on Spotify

The biggest thing will be the inheritance system. Most bloodlines are tied to the "dominant" partner (male 99% of the time) with very few like the one in the 4th screenshot seem to be tied to the "consort" (female 99% of the time). The dominant partner will give his bloodlines that are tied to the dominant partner, and vice versa, to his children.

For example: While Charlemagne will give his "dominant" bloodlines to his daughters, you cannot marry the daughters of Charlemagne and get his bloodline. The daughter have her father's bloodline, but she's your "consort" and it is a "dominant" bloodline, so she cannot give it. The only way to get Charly bloodline in your family would be to matri marry his daughter (or play as a woman and normal marry his son) but that would cause the issue of non-dynastic heir into a game over.

There is probably some weird breeding tricks over a few generations to get it, but none come to mind.

Seduction comes to mind, seduce a ruler as a female and hope they don't legitimise any bastard your character gives them. Then you can legitimise them for your own dynasty.

Nice, will the AI pursue Bloodlines as well? I hope it does, it would be a bit said if only the Player's family ended up with them.

Nice, will the AI pursue Bloodlines as well? I hope it does, it would be a bit said if only the Player's family ended up with them.
The AI can pursue this ambition, but it has been taught not to do it if it belongs to a player-controlled dynasty, to avoid spoiling the player's fun.