• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Added links to two new saves that causes converter to hang:
G3. http://www.mediafire.com/download/ogzzrw6vzqoyoex/Ironman_Alania2.zip. Reported by Glanzor in https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/2-4-4-converter-not-working-properly.884292/
G4. http://www.mediafire.com/download/cvo5l4duei16sx0/Britannia save.ck2. Reported by Cla168 in https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/2-4-4-eu4-converter-not-working.884304/
In case of all three listed crashes the player country is at war during conversion.

Furthermore for both new saves the conversion hangs in following function:
Code:
#0  0x0890562e in CEU4Converter::GetProvinceOwner(int) const ()
#1  0x08904b6d in CEU4Converter::GetTechnologyGroupFor(CCharacter*) ()
#2  0x088fdfc7 in CEU4Converter::ExportNation(int, CCharacter*, CString const&)
  ()
#3  0x088ee660 in CEU4Converter::ExportNations(int) ()
#4  0x088ed758 in CEU4Converter::Execute(int) ()
#5  0x088b02e9 in CInGameIdler::Idle(bool) ()
#6  0x08d971d6 in CApplication::UpdateOneFrame(bool) ()
#7  0x08d972b8 in CApplication::Run() ()
#8  0x08a152ef in main ()[code]

Reactions:
Here are some additional converter problems for you, all concerning the assignment of idea sets to converted nations.

1. According to the 02_country_ideas file of the converter, all andalucian nations should be getting Granada's idea set. That does not work, however, because the code is written incorrectly.
When it says
Code:
culture = andalucian
its should be saying
Code:
primary_culture = andalucian

2. Likewise, egyptian nation should be getting the Mameluks' ideas according to the file. But that also is written wrong.
When it says
Code:
primary_culture = egyptian_arabic
it should be saying
Code:
primary_culture = al_misr_arabic
, since that is what the egyptian arabic culture is called in EU4.

3. The zzz_group_ideas file of the converter is trying to assign ideas to south indian nations. But the code is wrong as well so that doesn't work either.
The code says
Code:
dravidian_ideas = {
    trigger = {
        culture_group = dravidian
        religion = hinduism
        religion = jain
    }
}
It would work as intended if it was written like that
Code:
dravidian_ideas = {
    trigger = {
        AND = {
            culture_group = dravidian
            OR = {        religion = hinduism
                    religion = jain
                }
            }
    }
}
instead.

4. Nations that get newly created during gameplay (like by seperatist rebels) have a tendency to end up with the karling idea set, even if they do not have a karling ruler (but are catholic monarchies). I suspect that is caused by the same problem with dynastic triggers that also makes native concil have anatolian ideas.

Thanks for reporting. I will try to reproduce the problems and add will add to the list later.

4. Nations that get newly created during gameplay (like by seperatist rebels) have a tendency to end up with the karling idea set, even if they do not have a karling ruler (but are catholic monarchies). I suspect that is caused by the same problem with dynastic triggers that also makes native concil have anatolian ideas.

All dynasty triggers is automatically true, for any other type of government than monarchy and for monarchy without ruler (regency) or with ruler without dynasty. I think that this is a bug with dynasty trigger in EU4.

Sorry for the delay but I have finally found time to confirm other idea bugs reported by Glanzor (thank you) and added them to the list as:
Code:
A15. Mameluks ideas are not correctly applied. Deffinition is using egyptian_arabic culture_group instead of EU4 proper equivalent al_misr_arabic.
A16. Granada ideas are not correctly applied. This is caused by use of malformed culture trigger instead of primary_culture.
A17. South Indian group ideas are not correctly applied. This is caused by malformed trigger that requires nation to have both jain and hinduism religion.

@Glanzor: Do I have your permission to include proposed fixed in my VCF mod?

Concerning your point D1: I do not know wether you knew that but Zun using the Inti icon is actually intentional: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...aith-and-russian-empire.853582/#post-19248086
They used to have the Sunni icon which was of course worse.
It seems like the devs cannot import CK2's Zun icon easily for whatever reason and this is probably the best solution they have.

Adding icon is easy, so this is only matter of allocating very small chunk of resources from Paradox South (artist) to make icon. And I will keep this as the issue, as using Zun was DLC feature and Groogy explictly said that DLC feautures gets special atention in converter.

Manage to get mine converted where it first hang (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...er-hangs-on-new-kingdom.886608/#post-20097367). After forcefully ending all wars by tag switching in CK2.

Although, it now converts with help of the forum (and directly from tkamin) the following weird issues still occur:

I) Despite having a young boy as ruler, Sicily is considered to have no ruler and thus gets Carolingian ideas
II) The Ottomans (whom I played) randomly inherit a province in russia (near Muskovy & Vladimir) they did not own & never did own in CK2
III) Upon conversion the time is rolled back to 1444 where I played untill 1453.
IV) The Ottoman Ruler gains (Osman II) 15 year of age and his heir (Tutus) loses 8 years. As this brings Osman up to over 50 and Tutus to 0. That could be problem considering a regency council....
V) All minor russian states get the Muscovite Ideas. Despite having a true Ryzan and Tver who normally have their own ideas, and a new nation (Toropets) that lies in the area of Novogorod and holding that province also gets Muscovite ideas instead of Novogorodian ideas.

(VI) I had both a bohemian duchy as well as a primary bohemian kingdom in my game. On the first conversion the duchy gained bohemian ideas, the kingdom gained generic national ideas. I fixed this by making the secondary kingdom title (Poland) their primary - which gave them Polish ideas... might be nice if the game checked for that on its own instead of me forcing a nation to change the primary title. ;)

Last edited:
Added following issues reported by GMV.
A18. If the game is converted past 1444, countries that have child rules born after that date, end up with no-rule. Check example of Sicily for following save: http://www.filedropper.com/ottomanturksaveconversion
A19. For the following save http://www.filedropper.com/ottomanturksaveconversion, Vladimir is EU4 province is assigned to Ottomans, while in CK2 countries (Vladimir and Peyeraslav) are owned by vasals of other in-depended countries.

I) Despite having a young boy as ruler, Sicily is considered to have no ruler and thus gets Carolingian ideas
III) Upon conversion the time is rolled back to 1444 where I played untill 1453.
IV) The Ottoman Ruler gains (Osman II) 15 year of age and his heir (Tutus) loses 8 years. As this brings Osman up to over 50 and Tutus to 0. That could be problem considering a regency council....

I think the problems are caused by the fact that the conversion moves back year to 1444 from 1453. Some of them may be addressed by chaning the date to witch the game converts in define.lua. To to that copy following file: http://www.filedropper.com/defines to vcf/eu4_converter dir. The section that changes start date looks as follows:
Code:
NMisc = {
   START_DATE_YEAR = 1453,
   START_DATE_MONTH = 1,
   START_DATE_DAY = 1,
   EU4_VERSION = "1.13",
},
And needs to be changed on per game basis.

(V) I had both a bohemian duchy as well as a primary bohemian kingdom in my game. On the first conversion the duchy gained bohemian ideas, the kingdom gained generic national ideas. I fixed this by making the secondary kingdom title (Poland) their primary - which gave them Polish ideas... might be nice if the game checked for that on its own instead of me forcing a nation to change the primary title. ;)

No. If I had a primary title set to Bohemia on country, I want to them to convert to Bohemia. Regardless of other titles and their ideas.

Last edited:
Heads up that I'm transferring the issues from the main post to the internal bug database as of 27/10-2015. Please put any new issues into a separate section so I can easily update the issues on our end.

Note that some of these issues are already being tracked since a while back.

Thanks for the incredible work compiling all of these issues!

Reactions:
Here is something that has bugged me for a while now and I just noticed that is not in the opening post.
It is not so much a bug, though, as an oversight, but I think it is still worth mentioning, if your goal is to track all the issues with the converter.

Most of the content added to the converter after its initial release is missing localisation in the non-english versions of the game.
This includes the Kingdom of Israel, its idea group, the Templars and their idea group, the Carling idea group, maybe more.

I made a bug report a few versions ago, but got no reply and the issue persists. You can check the images in my old threat to see what I'm talking about: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...converter-content-missing-translation.852517/

You can reproduce the issue by changing the language setting of both your EU4 and CK2 version in the settings file before converting a game that should have any of the abovementioned elements. Or just by checking the localisation in the converter files.

Here is something that has bugged me for a while now and I just noticed that is not in the opening post.
It is not so much a bug, though, as an oversight, but I think it is still worth mentioning, if your goal is to track all the issues with the converter.

Most of the content added to the converter after its initial release is missing localisation in the non-english versions of the game.
This includes the Kingdom of Israel, its idea group, the Templars and their idea group, the Carling idea group, maybe more.

I made a bug report a few versions ago, but got no reply and the issue persists. You can check the images in my old threat to see what I'm talking about: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...converter-content-missing-translation.852517/

You can reproduce the issue by changing the language setting of both your EU4 and CK2 version in the settings file before converting a game that should have any of the abovementioned elements. Or just by checking the localisation in the converter files.

Outside for the custom deiteis files, this is effect of malformed conversion listed as C10. [Linux Only] The BOM mark used in localisation files files from eu4_converter/copy/localisation directory is not handled correctly and as consequence the custom localisations are not loaded (e.g. Aztec Ideas). Removing BOM from the files fixes the problem.

I have added issue:
2C1. The "converted_custom_deities_l_*.yml" file is available only in the english language.

Last edited:
Heads up that I'm transferring the issues from the main post to the internal bug database as of 27/10-2015. Please put any new issues into a separate section so I can easily update the issues on our end.

I have added new section. And now I am using 2XNNNN code to reffer to the issues. So next general issue will be 2A1.

Note that some of these issues are already being tracked since a while back.

I know some of them are pretty old, but they are still not fixed.

Thanks for the incredible work compiling all of these issues!

I am also maintaining the mod (linked on main page) that fixes some of the issues, that are not requiring code change (they are bolded on the list). Maybe it would be possible to just integrate it and spend resources on fixes that cannot be made by just editing files?

Last edited:
Outside for the custom deiteis files, this is effect of malformed conversion listed as C10. [Linux Only] The BOM mark used in localisation files files from eu4_converter/copy/localisation directory is not handled correctly and as consequence the custom localisations are not loaded (e.g. Aztec Ideas). Removing BOM from the files fixes the problem.

That's not what I mean. I do not use Linux and still have that issue.

It's not like the Aztecs; the problem is not that the localisation is not loaded, is it missing from the files.

Check the "converted_custom_ideas" files and compare the different language versions. The english one has knights_templar_ideas, jewish_ideas and karling_ideas listed after roman_ideas.
The german, french and spanish language files just stop after the roman ones.
You do not even have to understand the languages to see that; the files themselves are noticeable shorter.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

BTW the deity thing is no longer an issue; since the introduction of the nation designer the nordic religion is a standard EU4 religion. Because of that what the converter says about it no longer matters. And EU4 does have proper non-english localisation of its deities.

Last edited:
I think the problems are caused by the fact that the conversion moves back year to 1444 from 1453. Some of them may be addressed by chaning the date to witch the game converts in define.lua. To to that copy following file: http://www.filedropper.com/defines to vcf/eu4_converter dir. The section that changes start date looks as follows:
Code:
NMisc = {
   START_DATE_YEAR = 1453,
   START_DATE_MONTH = 1,
   START_DATE_DAY = 1,
   EU4_VERSION = "1.13",
},
And needs to be changed on per game basis.

This did not unfortunately help. It created lot of weird issues with two Ottoman Empire. Athens was back. Timurids had a few provinces scattered where Ikhanate had lands. It seems like some countries normally found in EUIV tried to spawn. Lithuania got extra lands from the Ottomans. Aragon gained sicily and sardinia.
On top of this the ruler issues remained. With Sicily wrong ideas and with the Ottoman Sultan becoming 55 instead of 37 and his heir suddenly being 0 instead of 8 (IIRC).

That's not what I mean. I do not use Linux and still have that issue.

It's not like the Aztecs; the problem is not that the localisation is not loaded, is it missing from the files.

Check the "converted_custom_ideas" files and compare the different language versions. The english one has knights_templar_ideas, jewish_ideas and karling_ideas listed after roman_ideas.
The german, french and spanish language files just stop after the roman ones.
You do not even have to understand the languages to see that; the files themselves are noticeable shorter.

Thank you for detailed explanation and correction.
Added:
2C2. Knight's Templar, Jewish and Karling ideas are missing localization for other languages than english. Files "converted_custom_ideas_l_*.yml" does not contain this information at all.

BTW the deity thing is no longer an issue; since the introduction of the nation designer the nordic religion is a standard EU4 religion. Because of that what the converter says about it no longer matters. And EU4 does have proper non-english localisation of its deities.

Changed 2C1 to: The "converted_custom_deities_l_english*.yml" file is no longer necessary as Norse religion is in vanilla EU4.

This did not unfortunately help. It created lot of weird issues with two Ottoman Empire. Athens was back. Timurids had a few provinces scattered where Ikhanate had lands. It seems like some countries normally found in EUIV tried to spawn. Lithuania got extra lands from the Ottomans. Aragon gained sicily and sardinia.
On top of this the ruler issues remained. With Sicily wrong ideas and with the Ottoman Sultan becoming 55 instead of 37 and his heir suddenly being 0 instead of 8 (IIRC).

It looks like the age computation need to be looked up by developers. I have no other ideas how to fix the problem.

Last edited:
Thank you for detailed explanation and correction.
Added:
2C2. Knight's Templar, Jewish and Karling ideas are missing localization for other languages than english. Files "converted_custom_ideas_l_*.yml" does not contain this information at all.
Also the names of the Templars and Israel are not translated (as you can see in the image I posted on my old thread - Israel is just ISR).
That seems to be the same problem. The name translations should be in the "converted_misc_l_*" files but are only there in the english one.

Also the names of the Templars and Israel are not translated (as you can see in the image I posted on my old thread - Israel is just ISR).
That seems to be the same problem. The name translations should be in the "converted_misc_l_*" files but are only there in the english one.

I have updated the issue 2C2 to also mention this files.

Reactions:
I have updated the issue 2C2 to also mention this files.
Thanks.
It's not just the ideas through, but the actual country names (of Israel and the Templars) as well that are untranslated. I think you should make that more clear in the description of the issue.

The problem I wrote about here a few months ago about released nations having Carling / Ottoman ideas (see point 4 in this post) was bugging me for a while.

After doing some testing I finally found a thorough solution to all dynasty-related problem concerning national ideas, both the ones I have had as well as the classical "anatolian native americans" variant.
Just add "NOT = {dynasty = no}" to all ideas with dynasty triggers. (Strangely just "dynasty = yes" doesn't seem to work, so you have to work with double negatives).

I noticed your mod tries to solve the issue with "government = monarchy", which works with the native council situation but not with my problem. But my methode solves everything related to that bug.

I advise you to add that to all dynastie ideas in the converter files, the anatolian ones as well as the ottoman, marmeluk and carling ones, since I have seen all of this generate problems in the many converter games I have played.