• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Its working as designed, and during the time of 769 and 867 it isn't far fetched to put the Indian's as the strongest technologically. That is how the history files for CK2 are scripted. How it is right now is that it calculated a median value of everyone in the world, those that hits over that mark with a good margin becomes western, if you are near the median then you are eastern and if you are way below then you get something much worse.

I like the new tech system, it feels more balanced and rewards you for be ahead in research during ck II timeframe.
Perhaps the thing that should be dependent from culture/religion are units types.
I mean seeing in eu IV a western tech indian nation with galloglaigh units and a muslim thec TO with muslim musketeers feels weird.
Also now unit types are balanced in eu IV so it should be fine.

Its working as designed, and during the time of 769 and 867 it isn't far fetched to put the Indian's as the strongest technologically. That is how the history files for CK2 are scripted. How it is right now is that it calculated a median value of everyone in the world, those that hits over that mark with a good margin becomes western, if you are near the median then you are eastern and if you are way below then you get something much worse.

Yeah but tech groups also affect discovery spread and whatnot, so it's just weird to have tech groups scattered all over the map. It's also pretty imbalanced when there's like one western tech nation amidst the Indian ones.

Would it be feasible to have a system where if, for example, the Indians are advanced enough they get a tech group which is on par with western but still distinct? And by that I mean it gives the same tech group to all Indian realms based on their average tech level.

Also yeah as said above units should be strictly based on either geography, culture or religion imo.

Playing the version 2.3.2 with a russian principality the mod files created by the converter had a bug that made the Golden Horde to have no technology group, wich makes it a kind of "undead" country in EU IV, because it started with level zero at three kinds of technology and seemed to be doing no research at all.

I've checked the country files that atributes the technology groups to the countries in the folder documents/paradox interactive/crusader kings II/euIV_export/mod/converted...etc/history/countries and noted that the file relative to Golden Horde was setting it's technology group to "nomad", checking the vanilla country files in euIV folder tough, the tag for the nomad technology group is "nomad_group", then, I've changed the tag in the mod file created by the converter and the problem was fixed. So, that's the problem, the converter is using the tag "nomad" for the nomad technology group instead of "nomad_group".

Playing the version 2.3.2 with a russian principality the mod files created by the converter had a bug that made the Golden Horde to have no technology group, wich makes it a kind of "undead" country in EU IV, because it started with level zero at three kinds of technology and seemed to be doing no research at all.

I've checked the country files that atributes the technology groups to the countries in the folder documents/paradox interactive/crusader kings II/euIV_export/mod/converted...etc/history/countries and noted that the file relative to Golden Horde was setting it's technology group to "nomad", checking the vanilla country files in euIV folder tough, the tag for the nomad technology group is "nomad_group", then, I've changed the tag in the mod file created by the converter and the problem was fixed. So, that's the problem, the converter is using the tag "nomad" for the nomad technology group instead of "nomad_group".

This issue was already reported in this thread. In the first post I am trying to list all know problems and this one is already listed under Setup section.

Last edited:
Yeah but tech groups also affect discovery spread and whatnot, so it's just weird to have tech groups scattered all over the map. It's also pretty imbalanced when there's like one western tech nation amidst the Indian ones.

Would it be feasible to have a system where if, for example, the Indians are advanced enough they get a tech group which is on par with western but still distinct? And by that I mean it gives the same tech group to all Indian realms based on their average tech level.

Also yeah as said above units should be strictly based on either geography, culture or religion imo.
Basically, a "High Indian*" tech group, like how converting with SI gives the Aztecs the High American tech group?

*or whatever the normal grouping is

I found two other bugs:

-If you convert a ck empire, you'll get the eu Iv empire government form, even if you have max crown authority (It should be absolute monarchy in that case).
-Nestorian religion has the patriarchate mechanic, but it lacks events to raise it.

I found two other bugs:

-If you convert a ck empire, you'll get the eu Iv empire government form, even if you have max crown authority (It should be absolute monarchy in that case).

Why it should be absolute monarchy? I think that there will be people that will complain about their empires not receiving a Empire government if that change will be applied. Notice that unified HRE is also an Empire.

-Nestorian religion has the patriarchate mechanic, but it lacks events to raise it.

Added. I think that this problem should also apply for heresies converted to separate religion and uses this system: Monophysite, Bogomilist, Monothelite, Iconoclast and Paulician. Does it?

Last edited:
Why it should be absolute monarchy? I think that there will be people that will complain about their empires not receiving a Empire government if that change will be applied. Notice that unified HRE is also an Empire.

Added. I think that this problem should also apply for heresies converted to separate religion and uses this system: Monophysite, Bogomilist, Monothelite, Iconoclast and Paulician. Does it?

- Dunno why.I remember I read time ago about ckII government conversions ( probably on some wiki), and it said an absolute crown authority realm would be converted as an absolute monarchy (except the unified HRE). Probably this is changed with new versions of the converter or the wiki was wrong.

- Yeah the problem includes also the others patriarch religions, i think because the orthodox.txt file in the eu Iv event folder has only the main orthodox religion as a trigger.

- the problem with GH being notechgoup is also present if it converts as a western tech nation. Adding western_group in the history files doesn't solve the problem.
This is strange because the other horde, the ilkhanate, was converted fine.

- also can you please try to convert this savegame? I keep geeting a runtime error.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9icydhp53z43saq/Ironman_Magyars.ck2

Last edited:
- also can you please try to convert this savegame? I keep geeting a runtime error.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9icydhp53z43saq/Ironman_Magyars.ck2

The save game conversion also crashes the game from me. The console output shows:
Code:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'CFileException'
Przerwane (core dumped)

And the stack trace for generated core:
Code:
#0  0xf770d425 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0xf710b607 in raise () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
#2  0xf710eb04 in abort () from /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
#3  0xf733cad5 in __gnu_cxx::__verbose_terminate_handler() ()
   from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
#4  0xf733a7e3 in ?? () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
#5  0xf733a85d in std::terminate() ()
   from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
#6  0xf733ab21 in __cxa_throw () from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
#7  0x08ff2af2 in CArchiveFile::CArchiveFile(CString const&, EFileType, bool, CString const&, bool) ()
#8  0x08824021 in CEU4Converter::ExportNation(int, CCharacter*, CString const&)
    ()
#9  0x08812710 in CEU4Converter::ExportNations(int) ()
#10 0x08811987 in CEU4Converter::Execute(int) ()
#11 0x087da6ae in CInGameIdler::Idle(bool) ()
#12 0x08c0a232 in CApplication::UpdateOneFrame(bool) ()
#13 0x08c0a314 in CApplication::Run() ()
#14 0x08920d98 in main ()

I have added new section to first post with the same game files that crash the game and included link to one, that you had attached.

Last edited:
- the problem with GH being notechgoup is also present if it converts as a western tech nation. Adding western_group in the history files doesn't solve the problem.
This is strange because the other horde, the ilkhanate, was converted fine.

Any way to quickly reproduce the problem, by selecting appropriate bookmark? Or link to a save game file?

Added another problem to the list, originally reported by Garak (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?goto/post&id=19786794#post-19786794):
A11. Countries in North America that does not have their own nation ideas (e.g. Blackfoot) are getting "Anatolian" ideas. Seems to be caused by use of dynasty trigger for countries with ruler without dynasty.

From ideas definition it looks like similiar think can happen also in case of Ottoman Ideas and Malmuk ideas for if the religion of non-monarch country would be muslim.

If you want another save file that just hangs I've put one on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gi6e7i1dncz3vmx/shattered_world.ck2?dl=0

Don't know if it's because I'm using a mod but I started the game using the Shattered World mod (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243427340). It's hanging when I try to convert. The hourglass spins and spins. It will keep spinning for hours if I leave it but it never completes. I can get it to crash by Alt-Tabbing out of CK2 (Windows shows it as unresponsive). I have converted games started with this mod in previous versions of the converter before Horse Lords came out. I'm running all DLC except Sunset Invasion and Way of Life. The game is only in the 900s and I'm planning to play for awhile so it's not that big of a deal but I decided to test it after I read the thread in the main forum about the converter hanging.

If you want another save file that just hangs I've put one on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gi6e7i1dncz3vmx/shattered_world.ck2?dl=0

Don't know if it's because I'm using a mod but I started the game using the Shattered World mod (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243427340). It's hanging when I try to convert. The hourglass spins and spins. It will keep spinning for hours if I leave it but it never completes. I can get it to crash by Alt-Tabbing out of CK2 (Windows shows it as unresponsive). I have converted games started with this mod in previous versions of the converter before Horse Lords came out. I'm running all DLC except Sunset Invasion and Way of Life. The game is only in the 900s and I'm planning to play for awhile so it's not that big of a deal but I decided to test it after I read the thread in the main forum about the converter hanging.

I think that the problems with the modded will just be ignored by the dev team, as they have a lot problems with vanilla game and converter (see when this thread was created). Given that I would not be including links to broken modded games in first post, but I think it is fine to post them in this thread anyway.

I think that the problems with the modded will just be ignored by the dev team, as they have a lot problems with vanilla game and converter (see when this thread was created). Given that I would not be including links to broken modded games in first post, but I think it is fine to post them in this thread anyway.

That's what I figured. The mod doesn't really do much...it changes dynasty names and starts every county as independent (gets rid of all Duke/King/Emperor level titles). It also adds a couple of CB types. It's pretty "vanilla" as mods go so I thought it was worth posting.

That being said I've actually had pretty good success with the converter overall. I just have to spend time editing the output to correct mistakes or tweak it. This is my first experience with the converter not giving me something that I could edit and eventually use.

The Old Prussian culture is missing since it was deleted from EU4, and thus can't be converted.

The province of Hoya in NW Germany is always owned by Brunswick and has Westphalian culture. In short - it is not converted.

The Old Prussian culture is missing since it was deleted from EU4, and thus can't be converted.

I have had this issue before, but it was fixed fixed in 2.4.* patch series.

The province of Hoya in NW Germany is always owned by Brunswick and has Westphalian culture. In short - it is not converted.

I have confirmed the problem and tracked the root cause. See the "A14. The Hoya province is not mapped correctly." entry in OP. The problem shall be now fixed by vcf v0.6 mod.

Thank you for reporting.

Last edited:
Updated main thread for EU4 v1.13. This version fix the launcher of linux (G1 was removed) and following issues was added:
A12. Buddishm religion allways convert to Theravada.
A13. Lancaster is converting to Florence, York to Andhra. This is caused by reuse of the tags.
A14. The Hoya province is not mapped correctly. This is the result of the one of the multiple province_table entries that has province id different than in file name:
Code:
c_lombardia;2971;2979 - Novarra;Lombardia - Novarra
c_pavia;2971;2979 - Novarra;Pavia - Novarra
c_tharasset;347 - Ifni;Tharasset - Ifni
c_mountain_cheremisa;1304;304 - Pensa;Mountain Cheremisa - Penza
c_nasikya;2034;517 - Pune;Nasikya - Pune
c_dwarasamudra;2023;2032 - Melenadu;Dwarasamudra - Melenadu
H6. New tags from 1.13:
Code:
c_malta;JAI;Malta;Malta County
c_maldives;DGL;Maldives;Maldives County
k_andhra;YOR;Andhra;Andhra Kingdom

I have removed problems fixed in in 31.08.2015 update. This includes:
A9. Church of Zun does not have custom rebels.
A10. Zoroastrian and Tengri is marked as marked as custom religion in religion_table.csv. They special localization and rebels are not removed.
* The update contain only the rebel fixes. The religion table entries and localisation for heresies are still present, so I have change the entry.