• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Plancklength

Recruit
55 Badges
Oct 5, 2018
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Short summary of your issue
Starting as a custom character overrides Gender Equality Game Rule

Game Version

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
Yes

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
If you start the game as a character created through the ruler designer, while using the Gender Equality = "Equal" game rule, your realm will still use its default succession law, such as "Male Preference." This only affects the custom character's realm. Other realms have "Equal" succession as would be expected under the Gender Preference = Equal game rule.

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Create a custom character. Set the Gender Equality game rule to "Equal." Start the game. Upon checking your own succession law, it will be the default gender law, as if you had not changed the gender equality game rule.

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?
If you start as a non-customized character, the Gender Equality = Equal game rule works as expected-- all realms, including your own have Equal succession. Your religion does start with the Equal view on gender doctrine, as expected.

I have attached a save game
Yes

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Custom Ruler Gender Equality Issue.ck3
    4,2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions:
I know this thread is old but as of 1.8.2 this is still a problem... any chance this is getting fixed in T&T?
Why did you want equal succession law so hard?
It is the most broken and dangerous law in the game, becaue the AI under Equal is more than happy to marry their direct heir into the wrong marriage, because under Equal, it is only a -200 penalty and not the -1000 penalty, so the Devs should fix that first.

I don't get that deep into the mechanics, I like the game as role-playing/alternate history fantasy, and I enjoy the game more when the sexes are equal. I agree that both bugs should be fixed.

More to the point, the option exists, so this is a valid bug. I shouldn't have to defend my decision to select a particular setting. It's a game, it's made to be enjoyed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't get that deep into the mechanics, I like the game as role-playing/alternate history fantasy, and I enjoy the game more when the sexes are equal. I agree that both bugs should be fixed.

More to the point, the option exists, so this is a valid bug. I shouldn't have to defend my decision to select a particular setting. It's a game, it's made to be enjoyed.
I don't wanted to attack you, but I only wanted to warn you about the AI under Equal, you need to keep a close eye, if you land any close relative, because they are more than happy to lose their titles via wrong marriages for their heir.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So I added this block to the on_ruler_designer_finished effect in common/on_action/ruler_designer.txt:

if = { limit = { has_game_rule = full_gender_equality } game_rule_full_gender_equality_effect = yes }

It's the same block that's in the on_game_start_after_lobby effect in common/on_action/game_start.txt. It looks like this fixes it - I started a new game with a custom character, and succession laws were correct. Surprisingly, this worked even if I set the rule after creating the ruler. I'm not sure if the bug also applies to inversed_gender_equality, the code block is the same except "inversed" instead of "full". This probably isn't the most elegant solution, but it seems to work.

Reactions: