• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SauronGorthaur

Major
24 Badges
Jun 4, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Short summary of your issue Male heir changes to my daughter upon reforming pagan religion

Game Version 1.03

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
No

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
I reformed the Slavic paganism in my game. Which changed my heir from the king of Hungary and Moldavia to my oldest daughter (who's much younger that said son, for the record). I made the following changes to the religion:
1. I swapped Communal Identity tenet for Communion and the Sanctity of Nature tenet for Warmongering;
2. I changed view on gender to Equal;
3. I changed clerical tradition to Lay Clergy;
4. I changed Head of Faith to Temporal;
5. I changed religious attitude to Righteous;
6. I changed marriage type to polygamous;
7. I changed consanguinity to Unrestricted Marriage;
8. I changed same-sex relations, deviancy, male adultery and female adultery to Shunned;
9. I changed kinslaying to Dynastic is Criminal;
10. I changed Witchcraft to Accepted.

At first, I thought it was because of the Equal view on gender, so I reloaded the save and redid it with male dominated. The heir still swapped to my daughter, ignoring the gender laws.

At which point I figured maybe it's the confederate partition issue. Even though my son had 3 kingdoms (one of which was titular Mogyer) and I had 3 empires and 11 kingdoms and the gender rule remained male dominated. So I swapped to my son, triggered a tyranny revolt and surrendered to it, making him unlanded. After reformation the heir still changed to my daughter.

After that I made broad checks of not changing the tenets, not changing main doctrines, not changing marriage doctrines and not changing criminal doctrines. Each of those tests resulted in no heir change. So it's an issue with some combination here.

Please explain how to reproduce the issue

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?

I have attached a save game
Yes

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• slavicreformation_krak.ck3
    14,6 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Actually, I think I found the culprit. Before that, I need to point out that in my testing the heir usually swapped with some delay. And not necessarily in terms of in-game time. Sometimes it changed even when I was paused, it just needed a minute or two. Also, keyword here is "usually". Sometimes it was basically instant.

So, on a hunch, I did one more batch of testing. My theory being that the temporal head part is conflicting with my heir being a sovereign ruler. Because my son is sovereign ruler, he doesn't automatically change religion to the reformed one and as such can't inherit the religious title (which, despite not being the primary title is the title my ruler now uses, just as it was in CKII). So I changed the religion the way I wanted to and demanded his conversion. After that the heir did not change.

That didn't explain my last batch of previous testing when the heir didn't change when I didn't change any crime doctrines, yet changed everything else the way I wanted to though (including the temporal head of religion). But then I did one more test when I changed only the head of religion to temporal and my heir changed instantly.

So I guess the bigger issue is the succession check operating on some kind of interval instead of updating on events. However, it does at least update instantly when I check the inheritance of the religious head title. As such, if you manage to put your heir on foreign thrones due to good marriages, you need to demand his conversion before the update check messes your inheritance.

Luckily, demanding conversion fixes the issue. But if your actual heir hates you for some reason (them being a zealot is also a factor) and will refuse conversion, you're out of luck.

It's all rather wonky.

I ran into this problem too.
It’s definitely the Temporal head position that’s causing the problem.
What I did to fix the problem was to grant a title within my realm to my original primary heir, that allowed me to give them the Temporal title which in turn made them my primary heir again.

Just had the same issue, after reforming de asatruan faith, making myself the religious head and being able to declare Great holy wars, now my non religious titles are all going to be inherited by my non-dynastic vassals.