• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Matt516

Lt. General
50 Badges
Jun 1, 2017
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • A Game of Dwarves
Short summary of your issue House Head succession does not work

Game Version 1.0.2

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
Yes

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
House Head succession often goes to a secondary heir rather than the primary heir (and player heir) of the House Head, which is not how it's supposed to work according to the wiki: "When a House Head dies its Primary Heir becomes the next House Head."

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Play as a character with lots of kids. Have your firstborn die after having kids. Die. Your firstborn's heir will be the player heir (and primary heir), and one of the other original kids (now uncles) will become the House Head.

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
If anyone has a save that can reproduce this issue by killing the player character, please post it. I was playing Ironman (like a chump) so my save is post-succession and isn't as useful. :/

Here is a save of King Jonas of Belgium. My primary heir is Gabriel, but Lucas (my eldest son) inherits the house head position anyway.

Attachments

• King_Jonas_of_Belgium_1120_09_01.ck3
    13,4 MB · Views: 0
Yeah I have the same problem. Really should be put on high priority. Curious that there's no dev responses to any of these types of threads so far, there's loads of them. Please acknowledge us, Paradox!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have also had this issue with elective succession, and have attached a save and screenshots of this.

Game Version 1.0.3

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
Yes

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
House Head does not go to primary heir under succession.

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Have your primary title follow elective succession, nominate anyone but the eldest son as heir.

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?
It seems like the house head succession follows some sort of primogeniture rather than primary heir.

Attachments

• house_heir.png
    house_heir.png
    4,2 MB · Views: 0
  • player_heir.png
    player_heir.png
    4,3 MB · Views: 0
  • house_head.ck3
    3,5 MB · Views: 0
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Same boat and can't create a cadet branch as Sweden due to government type. I reconquered my kingdom titles lost to succession and murdered several so called heads of my dynasty, but run is on hold to avoid AI spending my renown.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Same boat and can't create a cadet branch as Sweden due to government type. I reconquered my kingdom titles lost to succession and murdered several so called heads of my dynasty, but run is on hold to avoid AI spending my renown.

Yeah, I'm about to find an emperor to swear fealty to so I can reform to Feudal right quick and make my cadet branch.

Same issue. On Scandinavian elective, the house head is passed by primogeniture regardless of the chosen player heir, or their power, making it all but impossible to remain house/dynasty head. Surely a unlanded nobody in Ireland shouldn’t get the house head instead of the emperor of Scandinavia? This is most likely not intended.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Same issue. On Scandinavian elective, the house head is passed by primogeniture regardless of the chosen player heir, or their power

I don't even think it's primogeniture, because in my situation I was just using confederate partition - my player heir was selected via primo (only child of deceased 1st son), but the house head passed to my second child (uncle of the new character).

I'm still waiting for that uncle to pass on so I can put my schemes into play to marry my player heir to his first son's daughter and then kill off her twin brother so my player heir will get House Head back... most horrible shenanigans I've ever had to do in CK. I'd love to be able to create a Cadet Branch, but that's locked behind Feudal which is many many hours of playtime away. Not that reforming to Feudal is actually any good for Tribals in CK3.... sigh. Maybe I should just start over in 1066. :p

Reactions:
yeah all the head of's are broken. Its a massive pain in the butt and breaks one of the key game elements. All i have now is cultural head all the others are with some minor count in Desomnd (house head) and some random count in Acre - Dynasty Head. It seems that any kind of Elective succession breaks the House succession.

Reactions: