• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Thegoldhawk7

Recruit
Sep 16, 2020
Short summary of your issue Game over with valid heir

Game Version Latest

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Windows Store

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
No

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
Received a game over screen with lots of valid heirs.

Upon death the king, both the designated heir AND the house member who would have succeeded the king were of my dynasty. The game appears to have selected the house senior rather than designated heir then incorrectly given a game over.

Note; I had a crash dump about 15 minutes before this happened.

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Czech culture for current king
Alternative culture for house seniority heir
Czech culture for designated heir
Absolute crown authority
A designated heir selected
House seniority succession type enabled

Then it's a case of letting the ruler die and see what happens

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?
Not that I can think of.

I have attached a save game
No

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• 20201022_162555.jpg
    20201022_162555.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Right, this is a problematic interaction between Seniority and Preferred Heir - your preferred heir becomes your player heir, but is not a valid candidate for Seniority (I assume that's how it works - being that the valid candidate is the oldest house member), so all the titles pass on to the house senior, while your player heir ends up with no titles, and as such you end up with a game-over for losing your last title.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi there!

Thank you for the report, we are aware of some inconsistencies with inheritance and we are investigating ways of making systems more transparent.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Right, this is a problematic interaction between Seniority and Preferred Heir - your preferred heir becomes your player heir, but is not a valid candidate for Seniority (I assume that's how it works - being that the valid candidate is the oldest house member), so all the titles pass on to the house senior, while your player heir ends up with no titles, and as such you end up with a game-over for losing your last title.
Is it supposed to be that way though? Shouldn't you be able to play as the Seniority heir since they are from your dynasty?

Is it supposed to be that way though? Shouldn't you be able to play as the Seniority heir since they are from your dynasty?
No, because the Preferred Heir is explicitly chosen as the player heir, while all the titles are passed on to the house senior. If the character you're playing up ends up landless, it's a game-over, even if you have landed dynasty elsewhere. It's one of the two game-over conditions - either die with a non-dynastic player heir, or lose your last county. Having landed third cousins doesn't save you from either.

Reactions: