Confirmed CK III - Crash to Desktop when running two or more mods that modify one of the accessory files.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zinryu

Corporal
58 Badges
Oct 16, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Short summary of your issue
Crash to Desktop when running two or more mods that modify one of the accessory files.

Game Version

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

What DLC do you have installed?
Royal Court,

Do you have mods enabled?
Yes

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
Yes

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
When two mods modify the 02_genes_accessories_misc.txt file, it appears to cause a crash to desktop. Both my mod (Vampirism and Lycanthropy) and CFP (Community Flavor Pack) modify this file. If either mod is run separately, the game loads just fine. If you enable both mods, it crashes to the desktop before you ever make it to the main menu. I thought it might be because when one file overrides the other, there would be a missing reference. To test this, I created a "patch" mod that combined both of our files into one and loaded it after both mods. This did not work, and the crash still occurred.

Before 1.7, both of these mods ran together without crashing. Both had overrides to this file. If I remove the file, and the file that assigns the new teeth within my mod, then it will load just fine. This is how I was able to isolate it to this mod file.

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Load the Vampirism and Lycanthropy mod with Community Flavor Pack. You could also create two new small mods that both try to overwrite the 02_genes_accessories_misc.txt file and get the same result.

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?

I have attached a save game

No

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• ck3_20220912_145106.zip
    9,5 MB · Views: 0
  • 13Like
Reactions:
All the same issues as above. For me I have identified EPE as the mod that causes the crash. Removing that seems to reduce the crash while loading chance from 100% to only occasionally. My crash reporter also fails to send reports and crashes itself.

Another curious thing I noticed is that EPE is also the only mod in my playset that shows a negative value as its size (-1.09GB):

View attachment 904098
Visual bug. Only bug here is that you can't run 2 mods that add clothes it seems.

Visual bug. Only bug here is that you can't run 2 mods that add clothes it seems.
How is it a visual bug when my game crashes when loading? If you mean the -1.09GB, that's not my only problem. The same crash everyone else reported happens for me if I load ONLY EPE - I have no problem with only CFP so I have isolated EPE as the cause of the crash for me. To be clear this is a crash to desktop while loading up.

Last edited:
Reactions:
How is it a visual bug when my game crashes when loading? If you mean the -1.09GB, that's not my only problem. The same crash everyone else reported happens for me if I load ONLY EPE - I have no problem with only CFP so I have isolated EPE as the cause of the crash for me. To be clear this is a crash to desktop while loading up.
Do you run only EPE? Without CFP?

I'm having the same issue noted above, and for me the pain point is "9"; I basically don't play without CFP and EPE.

DLC's: All
Mods: EPE, CFP, the compatibility patch, barbershop, nicknames, VIET

Reproduction Steps:
1. Install listed mods
2. Try to start any game
3. Game will open to initializing screen and then crash, sometimes within a minute, sometimes longer

Attachments

• debug.log
    124 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    1,6 KB · Views: 0
  • game.log
    12,8 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    878 bytes · Views: 0
  • exception.txt
    2,1 KB · Views: 0
  • last_save.ck3
    35 MB · Views: 0
Reactions:
I was able to download an older version of CFP and got that to work with EPE and a fair number of other mods. Really unfortunate that this issue still exists though, hoping it gets resolved soon. Before I figured out how to fix everything, I didn't pick up CK3 once. I know a lot of people who find mods like EPE or CFP critical to their playthroughs.

I was able to download an older version of CFP and got that to work with EPE and a fair number of other mods. Really unfortunate that this issue still exists though, hoping it gets resolved soon. Before I figured out how to fix everything, I didn't pick up CK3 once. I know a lot of people who find mods like EPE or CFP critical to their playthroughs.

The older version of CFP doesn't work for me and some other people, sadly. No playing CK3 until it both works but a break is probably a good thing.

I have been waiting for Paradox to fix this and it's frustracting that it's been taking this long. CK3 without CFP+EPE isn't good enough for me. I can't even load the game before it crashes during the loading screen.

• 4Like
Reactions:
So after having this issue for 2 month now, when can we probably expect you to fix this? I would expect a Hotfix for such a bug. This is more than frustrating and I dont understand how such a problem, which even affects very basic mod configurations, can go through QA.

• 5Like
Reactions:
So after having this issue for 2 month now, when can we probably expect you to fix this? I would expect a Hotfix for such a bug. This is more than frustrating and I dont understand how such a problem, which even affects very basic mod configurations, can go through QA.
Honestly any other game that depends on mods would fix this as soon as possible. Only reason i see for this much delay is if the issue is larger than it seems. Hopefully it will work soon.

Reactions: