CK III - CK3 - Gameplay - 'Convergent Blood' and/or 'Resilient Bloodline' gives more negative traits?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ragnarrrrr

Recruit
3 Badges
Oct 26, 2020
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
Short summary of your issue CK3 - Gameplay - 'Convergent Blood' and/or 'Resilient Bloodline' gives more negative traits?

Game Version 1.1.3 (Chevron)

What OS are you playing on?
Windows

What platform are you using?
Steam

Do you have mods enabled? No

Have you tried verifying your game files (Steam only)?
No

How much "pain" is this causing you?

Please explain the issue you experienced in the most condensed way possible
After i picked 'Convergent Blood' and 'Resilient Bloodline' perks from dynasty legacy, i started getting a lot of negative traits to children. No inbreeding ever. I was save-scamming a lot before Resilient Bloodline, and i barely saw any negative traits (tbh i dont remember any at all). No ancestors with negative traits eather (not sure about queen).

Please explain how to reproduce the issue
Save-scamming just before child is born (game saves provided from both situations)

Is there anything else you think could help us identify/replicate the issue?
Is it possible that queens 'drunkard' trait may cause this?

I have attached a save game
Yes

Upload Attachment
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Not bugged yet.ck3
    13,7 MB · Views: 0
  • bugged.ck3
    16,8 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Hi, I would just like to post some numerical evidence. The sample size is 100 children in each case.

Test 1 (Control): 2 positive, 8 negative
Test 2(Resilient): 5 positive, 3 negative
Test 3(Strengthen): 14 positive, 5 negative
Test 4(Resilient + Strengthen): 10 positive, 9 negative

As you can see, Resilient Bloodline and Strengthen Blood individually decrease the number of negative traits seen, but when put together the number of negative traits seen is more than the control! This is indicative of a bug.

Anyone know if this has been fixed? I literally haven't played CK3 since I discovered it. I'm itching to go back, but it just feels like there's no point if my core strategy was self-defeating because of a bug.

Anyone know if this has been fixed? I literally haven't played CK3 since I discovered it. I'm itching to go back, but it just feels like there's no point if my core strategy was self-defeating because of a bug.
Yesterday started new campaing, not ironman. Havent played since september, but only today after I upgraded to Resilent Bloodline all 10 children which are born from close family like sister-cousin-wife's have Inbred trait. But before it wasn't like that.
BTW all these children have Genius, Herulean/amazonian and Beautiful, comely or pretty traits.

Last edited:
I ran into the same issue tonight. Haven't played since the game came out and it always worked before. Started a new game with a friend about a week ago and just upgraded to convergent bloodline. now 3/3 of my kids have random terrible traits :`(

• 1Like
Reactions:
While I cannot say for sure that this is happening because of those perks (because up until now I have always taken those perks) I do tend to see negative traits becoming noticeable around 4th generation Dynasty members. I'm going to take another Dynasty tree and see if this happens again in my current game.

If it is broken, it is an enormous issue. I'd say the vast majority of people will take that Dynasty tree, since the others are relatively worthless in comparison (generic buffs vs. making every future member of your dynasty a more perfect creature.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah, this seems to still be an issue. Seemingly out of nowhere, three out of four kids have a negative (scaly, hunchback, spindly, and dwarf). NONE of those were in the dynasty prior. The closest I've bred is cousins. In this instance, it was second cousins. I have strengthen bloodline, and I forget if I'm on the second or third tier of blood legacy.

It totally killed my momentum for playing ironman/achievements.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think the dynasty perk is broken. After playing into about the sixth generation (at which point the game does become truly boring), I noticed fewer negative traits without the perk than when I played with the perk. I also noticed less positive traits and less reinforcement of positive traits. Maybe the trait is working as intended but producing an unintended outcome. Either way, I suspect the entire Dynasty perk tree is to be reworked: it is completely unbalanced. The other lines hardly matter; the only exciting thing about them is the bonus to lifestyle experience, which unlocks too late to matter much, and only applies to once specific lifestyle. Better courtiers will get you more people with positive genetic traits. Everything else looks like a very generic and fairly inconsequential buff.

I've not done a deep dive but is the code controlling this available in the defines, where we can look at it? Or do we need a dev to chime in and tell us if this is WAD? The lack of a definitive answer nags me endlessly. I want to enjoy this game, but nefarious bugs that can ruin Ironman playthroughs make me less interested in playing.

Hi, I would just like to post some numerical evidence. The sample size is 100 children in each case.

Test 1 (Control): 2 positive, 8 negative
Test 2(Resilient): 5 positive, 3 negative
Test 3(Strengthen): 14 positive, 5 negative
Test 4(Resilient + Strengthen): 10 positive, 9 negative

As you can see, Resilient Bloodline and Strengthen Blood individually decrease the number of negative traits seen, but when put together the number of negative traits seen is more than the control! This is indicative of a bug.
I've not done a deep dive but is the code controlling this available in the defines, where we can look at it? Or do we need a dev to chime in and tell us if this is WAD? The lack of a definitive answer nags me endlessly. I want to enjoy this game, but nefarious bugs that can ruin Ironman playthroughs make me less interested in playing.
Did the test in version 1.3. Generated a character with beautiful (beauty 3), quick (intelligence 1) and hale (physique 1). Made 200 children with a husband with no inheritable traits nor blood relationship. Each level of a positive trait counted as a point, so beautiful counts as 3, handsome pretty as 2, etc.

Test 1 (No perks nor strong blood): 379 good trait points, 3 negative traits
Test 2 (Strong blood only): 501 good trait points, 2 negative traits
Test 3 (First two perks of the blood tree only): 441 good trait points, 1 negative trait
Test 4 (3 perks (resilient bloodline)): 484 good trait points, 1 negative trait
Test 5 (3 perks + strong blood): 605 good trait points, 0 negative traits.

There doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

Yeah, this seems to still be an issue. Seemingly out of nowhere, three out of four kids have a negative (scaly, hunchback, spindly, and dwarf). NONE of those were in the dynasty prior. The closest I've bred is cousins. In this instance, it was second cousins. I have strengthen bloodline, and I forget if I'm on the second or third tier of blood legacy.

It totally killed my momentum for playing ironman/achievements.
Try not to breed anyone related at all. According to dev diary, it causes new negative traits to appear, with inbred being only the worse possible outcome.

• 1Like
Reactions: