• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

redtide

Magister Ludi
63 Badges
Jun 19, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
One line summary of your issue
When a temple holder changes religion, a new priest is created who usurps the temple

Game Version
3.1.0 KKAD

What expansions do you have installed?
All of the above

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
When a temple holder changes religion, the game creates a new priest (with the culture and religion of the top liege) who usurps the temple holding.

Playing as a Greek Hellenic emperor, my Miaphysite vassal King of Jerusalem keeps getting his priests/bishops replaced with Hellenic priests. This makes it hard to play a large cosmopolitan empire. I imagine it would be especially frustrating in India, where there's more fluidity between the Dharmic religions. Also, I wonder whether this would, for instance, affect a human playing as a Zoroastrian vassal of the Sunni Caliph.

And elsewhere in my empire, I'm having Hellenic priests of non-Greek culture getting usurped by Greek Hellenic priests. I assume this happens when the Hellenic liege of a Christian priest asks the priest to convert. Instead of allowing the newly converted priest to continue in their role, the game creates a new priest who usurps the temple. This would be especially frustrating if you have a high learning priest whom you want to keep.

My 27 learning Court Chaplain, who was searching for an artifact, was automatically fired from my council due to this behavior, and I can't hire her back because now she has the "opinion_resigned_from_council" modifier.

Upon a pagan reformation, there might be dozens of usurpations, which, in addition to the aforementioned issues, results in an annoying amount of pop-up message spam, as shown here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKi...tion_for_reformation_make_the_billion_temple/

Here is a background thread:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...n-a-random-new-bishop-usurping-title.1138688/

Steps to reproduce the issue.
Use the console to change the religion of one of your vassal priests. Observe their title being usurped.

Upload Attachment

Attachments

• temple_usurped.png
    temple_usurped.png
    2,1 MB · Views: 13
Upvote 0
On this theme something really strange happened. Had a count-tier Germanic priest- vassal. Asked him to convert. county was usurped as described above. The old, now converted priest stays a theocratic baron in the castle he also held.

This bug breaks the event chain that begins with event 927 (Court Chaplain embraces heresy). Use the console to fire event 927 for a landed court chaplain. As soon as they choose to embrace the heresy, they get usurped, and event 20270 doesn't fire for the liege.
Is that why I see so many cases of "so-and-so has usurped such-and-such temple" show up?