• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And so the Eastern Powers are engaged once more.

Rome must gain a foothold in Anatolia and kick the Easterners from Europe!

Reactions:
Io Saturnalia! Once again, Rome goes to war for its honour (and fun, and profit, and political advancement of its leaders... but we don't talk about that).
Like a shark, if they stop moving and eating up territory, they will die. Or something like that! :D
And so the Eastern Powers are engaged once more.

Rome must gain a foothold in Anatolia and kick the Easterners from Europe!
This is part of the plan - not just a quick war to liquidate Macedon. But Graecia and Thrace are one thing - Pontus and the Seleucids in Anatolia quite another order of difficulty!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Certainly our military seems to have come away from the pitfalls of the Western territories! Surely our gains this time must include all of Graecia, certainly some of Crete and whatever of Thracia we can secure.

Reactions:
Happy Saturnalia and thanks a lot for this new episode! It started slow but suddenly reached a great pace with another huge war started in the East! Let's hope this will break the back of our enemies.

But the next action came in Gaul, where yet another Autrigoni tribe rose in Santones against the five Roman cohorts there. Gnaeus Cornelius Scipio was in charge and dealt with the 4,000 warriors ruthlessly: all were killed in a one-sided battle from 2-5 May, where on 29 Romans were lost wiping out all 4,000 of the hapless Autrigoni warriors. Roman colonists were soon on their way and would duly establish Roman occupation on 3 September.
First Atlantic port that can be reached overland from Rome!

And indeed they did. Peace was boring. Peace was for the meek. There would be no peace again for years, only blood and glory: Metellus was ordered to invade Macedon forthwith. A declaration of war had been sent on to Macedonia. All other legions stationed in the east were on alert to respond to the expected intervention of Pontus and the Seleucids to aid their allies.
And so it begins, for one more time

Into this already complex situation, Colchis then decided it would take advantage of Seleucid distraction and declared war on their old enemy.
I hope they manage to do something this time, at least provide more distraction

Barbula caught up once more with the Seleucids on 24 August and ended their long flight from Sparta the next day in a crushing victory that saw the rest of the 5th Stratos completely destroyed (Rome 522/34,172; Seleucids 12,680 killed).
finally! we need to wrap up the Balkan front as soon as possible so we can move on to Asia Minor with our backs safe

On 21 November, the effort by Colchis to gain revenge on the Seleucids came to a sad end, with them made a tributary of their old enemy.
idiots!

And as the first phase of the latest eastern war drew to a close, the Consular election of 564 AUC elevated another scion of a notable patrician family to the senior magistracy: Q.F. Gurges of the Religious faction. He was something of an ‘all-rounder’, though his lesser military skills and not having a Military man in the consulship would detract from the general morale and organisation of the army.
bad timing for a religious faction win :(

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another fully justified war! ;)

Exciting stuff, though I have to wonder why the Romans keeping trying to invoke Minerva. It's been a long time since I've played but given the number of times the sacrifices have failed is the risk actually worth it?

Reactions:

Exciting stuff, though I have to wonder why the Romans keeping trying to invoke Minerva. It's been a long time since I've played but given the number of times the sacrifices have failed is the risk actually worth it?
Quick answer re the omens: if you don’t call one, Populist political power rises; the effects of failure are a little lower than the benefits of success; and the odds are usually higher than 50%, so it’s the statistically logical call. But I mainly go for Minerva (the odds are the same whoever you invoke) because it can provide a useful benefit but failure won’t disrupt a war. But sometimes this is varied, as you will see in the coming few years ...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Like a shark, if they stop moving and eating up territory, they will die.
This is very true, where would Rome get its slaves from if it wasn't regularly at war?

I fear this is shaping up to be another titanic war for very marginal gains, such is the 'unique' way the EU:Rome war/peace system works. There is probably a good game hidden away under the bad game mechanic choices Paradox made, but at times it seems so very well hidden so you can understand why so few bothered to keep digging.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is very true, where would Rome get its slaves from if it wasn't regularly at war?

I fear this is shaping up to be another titanic war for very marginal gains, such is the 'unique' way the EU:Rome war/peace system works. There is probably a good game hidden away under the bad game mechanic choices Paradox made, but at times it seems so very well hidden so you can understand why so few bothered to keep digging.
The war will be a large and long one and I haven’t yet played it through to the end. Hoping I can squeeze a fair bit out of it, game mechanics notwithstanding. To be fair to the designers, many of the wars fought did not lead to complete conquest at the time - though of course Alexander was able to temporarily conquer large swathes of the ancient world, even if it quickly fragmented. Many large conflicts were fought over relatively small border or tributary claims. Anyway, I’ll do my best here and to keep the story choofing along.

To All: Speaking of which, a happy new year to you all. :) I’ve been working hard on my HOI3 mod in recent days as time permits during the traditional slow forum period. It’s pretty time consuming and complicated (I’m now into event creation, which I’m having to learn as I go), so the opportunity to give it a good go has been useful. And I’ll need to update a few of my other AARs before I return to this one. But we’ll return to the Roman Republic again soon enough.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Responses to comments I hadn’t already replied to:
Certainly our military seems to have come away from the pitfalls of the Western territories! Surely our gains this time must include all of Graecia, certainly some of Crete and whatever of Thracia we can secure.
I’ll be out for all I can grab, and for as long as the Fates allow in the east.
Happy Saturnalia and thanks a lot for this new episode! It started slow but suddenly reached a great pace with another huge war started in the East! Let's hope this will break the back of our enemies.

First Atlantic port that can be reached overland from Rome!

And so it begins, for one more time

I hope they manage to do something this time, at least provide more distraction

finally! we need to wrap up the Balkan front as soon as possible so we can move on to Asia Minor with our backs safe

idiots!

bad timing for a religious faction win :(
The aim is certainly for both figurative and literal enemy back breaking here, but Fortuna must hold long enough for that to happen. We shall see ...

More Atlantic ports will be sought after, plus the long hoped for land link to Hispania, which distance and barbarian action has made difficult so far.

Poor old Colchis has been shafted time after time by the Eastern Pact. This must stop! In due course, it should be Rome doing the shafting ;)

You will soon see what - if anything - may be in store for Asia Minor, the lair of the Pontic and Seleucid beasts.

At least a Religious win is better than another Populist regime. Humphronius is still shaking his head and intoning dolorously about the last one! :D

Naturally, they are all justified for Rome, as glory demands and the Gods approve. ;)

Yes, the omens are still worth doing as things average out, but it’s like investing in the share market: you have to maintain a long term view and be prepared to lose what you invest!:D

To All: the first post-Saturnalia chapter should be out soon. Thanks for your comments and support.

Last edited:
Chapter LXXXIX: Time and Tides (1 January 565 AUC/189 BC to 31 December 566 AUC/188 BC)
Chapter LXXXIX: Time and Tides
(1 January 565 AUC/189 BC to 31 December 566 AUC/188 BC)

xj8voG.jpg

Foreword. Just prior to Saturnalia 2020, we had seen the first phase of the latest Eastern War end with Rome had having basically cleared the Seleucid and Macedonian armies out of Graecia. The Pontic army on the Danube had been sent back north after a good fist-beating. At sea, things were still in some balance, edging slightly in favour of Rome. Egypt’s enclave in Asia Minor had been occupied and they had seen reverses in the south and at sea, as they awaited land and naval reinforcements from the west.

In Roma, the Q.F. Gurges of the Religious faction had been elected Consul in early December 564 AUC. In Hispania and Gaul, the usual cycle of barbarian depredations, slaughter (on both sides) and steady colonisation continued.

§§§§§§§

Part I: The East - 1 January to 31 December 565

The year began with good news: the Macedonian capital surrendered, with new Consul Gurges able to take the credit for the accomplishment. The Senate’s next demand was to take Euboea – very convenient, as that was the next logical objective anyway.

C1pkx6.jpg

In mid-January, Roman manpower reserves were holding up, with 209,000 replacements available and only 881 vacancies in the legions and a gain of 2,174 recruits per month. At sea, three Macedonian ships were ambushed and sunk in Mare Myrtoum on 17 January.

On 7 February, the Egyptian 6th Army (21 regiments) was engaged in a battle against the Seleucid 10th Stratos (41 regiments) in Lydia. There were no Roman legions in Asia Minor at that time, as the forward element stood guard in Thracia. It appeared Egypt may have eventually won the battle, as by March the Seleucids were gone and the Egyptians remained, besieging Lydia.

Legio V (M.C. Dentatus, 9,000 men) arrived in Euboea on 11 March and engaged a small Macedonian force there (Omirus Proctid, 2,000 men). Dentatus had won by 19 March though not convincingly, losing 642 men to 536 Macedonians.

Legio I arrived in Euboea on 3 April, bringing Roman strength to around 36,000 men. Now led by T.A. Barbula, they quickly carried out an assault on the very substantial fortifications (a garrison of 3,000), hoping for a quick victory to knock Macedon out of the war then and there. But the assault failed after eight days of bitter fighting on the massive walls, Rome losing 2,145 men and the defenders 1,965. It would have to be a siege after all.

While this was happening on land, at sea the various Roman fleets (94 ships when combined) were able to ‘scare off’ a large Seleucid fleet (64 ships) which had been making for Mare Aegeum on 11 March. By 21 March, the Seleucid fleets was holed up in port at Lydia, blockaded by the larger Roman fleet in Mare Icarium.

But unfavourable news came on 8 April, when a small reinforcing flotilla of three Roman galleys was ambushed in Mare Myrtoum by a passing fleet of 16 Pontic ships. All three Roman triremes were sunk by 11 April, before they could escape: a whole iteration of shipbuilding wasted. But there was a measure of revenge on Pontus on land as that sea skirmish unfolded, when Tomis (one of their isolated Danubian provinces) fell on 10 April after a 343 day siege.

The Pontic 1st Stratos (Ikesios Theronid, 13 regiments) was spotted again in Tyras on 26 April, heading south for Roman-occupied Piephigi. Legio XI (A.I. Dives, 20,000 men), then to the south in Triballi, was ardered to cross the Danube and intercept them.

In early May, a mass recruiting of twelve new cohorts was conducted in the eastern Roman provinces: five cohorts of principes, two of archers, three of horse archers and two of cavalry – the equivalent of a new legion. It had been decided that the war would be carried into Asia Minor and the extra numbers would be needed to confront Seleucid strength.

Preparations for that campaigm began with Legio II (S.C. Metellus, 22,000 men) and a 6,000 man detachment from Legio I boarding ship from Macedonia and Thessaly on 13 May – bound for Asia Minor. They had landed in Lydia – where the Egyptians still besieged the Seleucid city – by 25 May after taking the attrition that occurred when large groups were moved by sea, with the detachment being merged into Legio II (now 28 cohorts but only 26,000 strong after attrition). They soon headed south to Seleucid-occupied Lycia – to take up the fight.

Meanwhile, Legio VI crossed the Propontis from Thracia into Bithynia, arriving there on 7 June. The same day, Legio I (T.A. Barbula, 24,310 men) embarked from Euboea, leaving Legio V to continue the siege. Consul Gurges had decided the invasion of Asia Minor would be an all-out one.

On 13 June, Legio II (now whittled down by attrition to 21,732 men) arrived in Lycia, where the Egyptians had also moved a force. The Egyptian commander used the Roman reinforcements in the ‘traditional’ ploy of launching an assault without consultation. Which unfortunately failed, piling up casualties and damaging morale.

Legio I made landfall in Lydia on 23 June. The Seleucid 10th Stratos (41 regiments, unknown troop strength) to its south in Caria was now heading towards Lycia, presumably to attack the Egyptian and Roman forces there who were still badly affected by their failed assault and continuing high attrition. Legio I started advancing on Lycia and by 1 July the 10th Stratos had halted in Caria.

The Seleucids then pivoted 10th Stratos to Lydia instead on 3 July, but Legio I continued on to join Legio II in Lycia, from where the Egyptians were now heading east. By 7 July, the newly recruited cohorts had all finished training and were moving independently to a rallying point in Thracia. Legio XI was in Piephigi and marching to battle against the Pontic army in Tyras. Legio VI had moved into Phrygia, which they besieged.

fHEhwx.jpg

Legio I arrived in Lycia on 10 July, thus evading the Seleucid advance on Lydia by ten days. By mid-July 565, Roman reserve manpower stood at 204,000. But battle and attrition (mainly the latter of late) now meant there were 20,699 vacant billets to be filled.

News from the south was now more encouraging. By 20 July – the day the Seleucid 10th Stratos arrived in Lydia - the Egyptians had recovered Damascus (thus liberating all their own holdings in the vicinity) and had taken Dulah from the Seleucids. They now also besieged Perga, directly east of Lycia. On the Danube, A.L. Dives led Legio XI in an attack on Ikesios Theronid’s 1st Pontic Stratos in Tyras on 23 July. Victory had been won in four days (Rome 1,325/20,000 lost, Pontus 3,574/11,292).

In mid-August, Legio II was merged into Legio I in Lycia. Barbula now commanded 52 cohorts (but only 34,829 men) and counter-marched back to Lydia on 14 August. A small detachment (five cohorts, 3,272 men) was left behind to maintain the siege of the Seleucid-occupied Egyptian city. The Seleucid 10th Stratos was now heading from Lydia to attack Legio VI in Phrygia and would do so well before Legio I could intercept them.

Battle was joined in Phrygia on 16 August 565. As it happened, the Seleucid strength was well below the full establishment of 41 regiments. The two forces were almost exactly equal in strength and composition, but Rome’s premier general A.C. Caudex was clearly superior to his opponent Demetrius Zoticid, who attacked over a river. In just six days, Caudex had won one of the most decisive victories of Roman arms in the East in recent years.

59vdLn.jpg

The Roman trepidation of recent months was replaced with a more confident outlook after this crucial victory. In early September 565, estimates of Pontic manpower reserves were around 71,000 men [with +2 stability but only 5 gold in the treasury]. For the Seleucids, the estimate was 86,000 men [+0 stability and no gold reserves]. Roman manpower reserves, even with recent combat and attrition losses, were a match for these, while the lack of gold would inhibit the enemy’s ability to recruit new units, if they had desired to do so. And then, there was the fact that Egypt’s forces were now coming increasingly to bear.

Consul Gurges therefore doubled down on the troop build-up, settling in for a long and merciless eastern campaign. On 3 September, another raising of troops in the east was initiated with 15 cohorts this time (nine principes, three cavalry, one archer, two horse archers) plus seven new warships begun in one tranche. Even after this, Roman manpower reserves stood at 191,000, though 33,065 replacements were needed (the figure kept mounting as with most troops in foreign territory, only 646 replacements were due to reach the legions this month).

On the Danube front, the 1st Pontic Stratos had returned for a dig at Tomis this time, where Dives once again led Legio XI to victory between 17 to 21 September (Rome 1,009/18,586 lost, Pontus 1,718/9,388).

In Asia Minor, a detachment of nine recovering cohorts (3,505 men) taken from Legio I arrived in Pergamon and began a siege on 12 October. Legio I remained at siege in Lydia, Legio VI in Phrygia and the other Roman detachment in Lycia, while Egypt now had sieges running in Caria and Perga. The Seleucid 10th Stratos had retreated north to Paphlagonia (in Pontus) after their defeat in Phrygia. The siege of Euboea ground on. Pontus had shown no indication yet they would attack the Romans in Asia Minor and Rome did nothing to encourage their attention there. Yet.

7gmnIC.jpg

On the Danube, Legio XI once again met the Pontic 1st Stratos, this time at Piephigi. With Dives forced to cross a river to meet his foe, his casualties exceeded the enemy’s, but not disastrously so and victory came after a battle that lasted from 14 to 18 October 565 (Rome 634/17,261 lost, Pontus 573/7,070). The secondary Danube Campaign would continue.

By 26 October, a huge Egyptian fleet (over 100 ships) had finally assembled in the Eastern Mediterranean: the Roman admirals decided they would let the Egyptians do the patrolling now and would only react to specific problems or opportunities that demanded Roman attention.

Dives had kept Legio XI on alert in Piephigi, as behind the last Pontic attack a small barbarian force had been spotted heading south from Tyras some weeks previously. They – rather foolishly – attacked the Romans on 26 October – and had been wiped out by the 27th (Rome 4/16,627 troops killed, all 2,589 barbarians killed).

But there was far more momentous news that day from the East, that would embolden Rome and Egypt further:

wpK6SA.jpg

NB: the Rebels have the green Seleucid flag and their provinces are the darker yellow on the map above. The Seleucid Rebels had the Loyalist manpower reserve duplicated for them and received a war chest of gold, but had probably inherited a weaker army and less territory.

It appeared that a significant faction within the sprawling empire did not approve of the handling of the war!

[Game note: at this time, the war score against the Seleucid-led Alliance (which didn’t include the Rebels, even though Rome remained at war with them separately) stood at 32%].

The immediate consequences of the civil war were witnessed when the Seleucid fleet off Cyprus split along partisan lines, with a battle between 54 Loyalist and 12 Rebel ships breaking out.

On the Danube, Dives had caught the Pontic 1st Stratos once again, attacking them in Tomis on 10 November. The fighting was fierce on both sides, as Legio XI attacked across a river once more. The battle ended the next day, with 659 of the 16,307 legionaries killed but all 5,897 of the remaining Pontic troops were eliminated.

With the Danube campaign ending in total victory, Legio XI set off along the western coast of Mare Euxinus towards Pontic-held Alazones (north of the modern Crimea), in search of more land to give leverage in future peace negotiations.

In Arabia, a large battle between Egypt (7th Army, 33 regiments) and the (Seleucid) Loyalists (1st Stratos, 33 regiments) was observed to start around 23 November and end in mid-December. And it appeared the Egyptians had won, with the Loyalists retreating east towards Mesopotamia. Then the Egyptians landed on the Pontic-ruled island of Rhodes on 12 December. Nearby Euboea still stubbornly resisted the Roman siege as the year ended.

§§§§§§§

Part II: Rome and the West - 1 January 565 to 31 December 566

The West remained mercifully quiet during the years 565-66 AUC. The new colony in Sedetani (central Hispania) was established on 12 March 565, with the customary building of a new stockade the first order of business.

In July 565, the news was bad for the Pontifex Maximus in Roma and one unfortunate chicken, which did not have the good sense to peck appropriately when the annual omen was called. Minerva was once more very displeased.

K0GOcU.jpg

The next month in Gaul, the Roman ruling class once again demonstrated it was its own most dangerous enemy, with the highly successful veteran commander of Legio III ‘Nova’, Hiram Magoid, murdered on 17 August 565 at the age of 51.

§§§§§§§

Despite the slowed research rate due to the failed omen, Roman naval technology advanced in January 566 and then soon bore some fruit in March, with the development of a merchant class bringing increased trade.

MbCg0M.jpg

A new colony was sent to Aquitani on 16 June, which had just become eligible for settlement. It would be completed on 14 October and a stockade begun. In Roma, the end of 566 saw campaigning for the biennial Consular election in full swing. The election was due on 2 December – its outcome (and its implications for the war effort) will be reported at the end of this chapter. As will the results of the next omen, which would bear directly on the conduct of the ‘Seleucid War’ in the east.

§§§§§§§

Part III: The East - 1 January to 30 June 566

The year began with the return of the Loyalist army of Demetrius Zoticid – the current Chief Torturer of the Seleucids – and A.C. Caudex’s Legio VI, still besieging Phrygia. This would be a far tougher and longer battle than the previous one in the same province, again with roughly similar sized forces. This time, the less able Zoticid got off to a lucky start on 5 January 566, but then Caudex reasserted the tactical advantage from 10 January and did not lose it until he emerged victorious a gruelling twenty days later.

ksDdu3.jpg

On 3 February, T.A. Barbula accepted the surrender of the now Rebel-controlled Lydia. The same day, 2,000 Roman reinforcements travelling through Suci were surprised and ambushed by a 5,000 man rebellion that broke out as they marched towards Thracia. Rome lost 944 troops by the time they escaped on 8 February, the rebels 314. Fortunately, a Massilian army – the 2nd Stratos, with 24 regiments – was by then marching towards Suci from nearby Dardania, and was due to arrive on 11 March, saving Rome the trouble of subduing the rebellion.

With exquisitely bad timing, on 3 February Pontus completed a new colony in Olbia (west of Alazones) just as Legio XI was approaching from Tyras. Dives would arrive on 17 February, assault the barely established 100 man Pontic garrison, taking it the next day.

Egypt was now making good progress in the south against both the Loyalists and the Rebels, with Arabia (Rebel) and Seleucia (Loyalist) now under their occupation by mid-February. And the siege of Pergamon (Rebel) was won on 14 February after a 126 day Roman siege. By then, a Roman force also had Pontic Bithynia under siege.

The Seleucid reverses continued, with the Egyptians completing their siege of Perga (west of Lycia) in early March and Legio I (T.A. Barbula, 19,396 men) arriving in Loyalist Pisidia on 6 March to begin a new siege there. Just four days later, they were attacked by a large but demoralised Rebel army under Aristotle Apollonid that had been fleeing an earlier loss against the Loyalists to the east. Barbula dealt with them professionally, with the Rebels fleeing by 14 March (Rome 441/19,396 men lost, Rebels 2,072/16,954).

On 22 March, the Rebels offered Rome a peace deal – but a white peace was of no interest to Consul Gurges. He wanted more than that before the Rebels were released to do their worst against the Loyalist regime undistracted: the pound of flesh must be provided first. But the Rebels were as yet unwilling to yield to Rome’s counter-offer.

CCUrX6.jpg

With Olbia now occupied, Legio XI arrived in Alazones on 23 March – to find a contingent of 3,437 Pontic troops with no recognised commander standing in their way. All the enemy troops were dead by 26 March, for the loss of just 72 legionaries.

Simultaneously, a massive battle began in Bithynia, where the formidable Pontic general Sophronius Zagreid brought over 43,500 men against the trusty G.F. Licinus, leading Legio IV, which had around 39,000 men. Given the history of such battles against elite Pontic generals, it was with a good deal of trepidation that the outnumbered Romans stood their ground. Both forces were almost exactly even in heavy infantry, with Pontus having an advantage in archers, but the Romans fielding more horse archers after recent recruiting campaigns.

MCC0kp.jpg

In the event, Licinus performed brilliantly, quickly gaining the advantage and, to everyone’s pleasant surprise, winning a victory that rivalled the one in Phrygia the year before in its strategic significance. A heavy loss could have thrown the whole campaign into doubt and forced early peace negotiations.

The 1st of April 566 brought another distraction in Graecia: 6,000 rebels in Thessaly. A small ‘bits and pieces’ force was assembled from various elements marshalling in Moesia and Thracia, with six cohorts (5,264 men) ordered to assemble in Macedonia under S.C. Metellus. At that time, the manpower reserve stood at 193,000, but now with 63,129 reinforcements needed and only 3,354 expected to be delivered to front line legions that month.

Good news was received on 15 April, with the culture in Scodra becoming fully Roman. Even better, Phrygia (Loyalist) fell to Caudex after a 286 day Roman siege (and two major field battles) on 19 April. But the biggest news of the month came on 24 April with the fall of Euboea after a mammoth 402 day siege. This signified the complete defeat of Macedon, which finally resulted in their full annexation. The old enemy was at last destroyed and one of the three Eastern Pact members had been permanently removed from the board.

faDKny.jpg

The Senate, with the Religious and Populist factions by far the dominant parties, soon came up with a new mission, of course.

uDqRn9.jpg

“I’m not sure how, ah, practical this demand is, Consul,” advised a dubious Bernardius when reporting this latest Senatorial gambit.

“It will be up to one of my successors, Bernardius,” replied a disinterested Consul Gurges. “For my part, I think I shall invite them to insert this demand where the Sun-God does not shine!”

“Er, yes, Consul,” replied a drily amused Bernardius. “Shall I pass that message directly to the Senate?”

“Oh, don’t be silly, Bernardius.”

Both men chuckled, then promptly ignored this latest direction. There were more important matters to attend to.

On the diplomatic front, by early May the Seleucid Rebels had obviously found a more receptive audience with the Egyptians – then again, they had offered more in return for peace. Rome was by no means displeased with this, as it would allow greater focus for both on beating the Seleucid Loyalists.

Eag3gA.jpg

The reduction of Euboea in late April permitted Legio V (M.C. Dentatus, 8,910 men) to instead take up the mission to relieve Thessaly, which they set off for on 14 May, allowing Metellus’ small force to head to Thracia once more.

In Asia Minor, the previously defeated Rebel army of Aristotle Apollonid had ended up in Lydia – but Caudex had beaten them there from Phygia with his veteran Legio VI. An indecisive battle was fought between 15 and 19 May (Rome 574/21,410 lost, Rebels 849/12,882). Not that the Romans really wanted to destroy the Rebels anyway; they would rather they were off fighting the Loyalists instead.

But this was not to be: the Rebels retreated towards Roman-occupied Pergamon so Caudex was obliged to give chase. Unfortunately, he was ambushed by Apollonid when he got there on 29 May [die rolls: Rome 0+0.5 v 6 Rebel], taking heavy casualties despite winning the battle by 2 June (Rome 1,600/20,836 lost, Rebels 619/12,033).

The Seleucid Loyalists sued for peace again in mid-June 566, but again offered only a white peace, which was rejected out of hand. No Roman counter-offer was made: they were determined to bleed the great enemy for everything they could this time.

The Loyalists brought a highly mobile army of almost 23,000 men (7th Stratos, under Polyxenos Savacid) to contest T.A. Barbula’s siege of Pisidia on 23 June. A tough battle started well for the Loyalists, who outnumbered Legio I by over 5,000 men.

k6OfSU.jpg

But the enemy broke and ran after a week of fighting when their commander was captured on the battlefield. Just a day later, nearby Lycia was liberated for the Egyptians by Rome after a 394 day siege.

§§§§§§§

Part IV: The East and Rome - 1 July to 31 December 566

In Thessaly, a confident Manius Curius Dentatus approached Thessaly from Euboea in mid-July. But his confidence was badly misplaced. Dentatus was only a mediocre commander and was attacking over a strait. Despite significantly outnumbering the rebels and commanding better trained and armed troops, he suffered an ugly and embarrassing defeat after a four day battle. Legio V retreated north in ignominy to Macedonia to regroup – and plot revenge.

uTeIek.jpg

By mid-July, Legio I’s position in Pisidia was deteriorating, with its strength now down to under 12,000 men due to battle casualties and attrition. Despite being bolstered by a small Egyptian force of around 2,500, they were very heavily outnumbered when a 31,000 man Loyalist army under Demetrius Zoticid struck them on 16 July. Barbula retreated as soon as he could on 21 July, leaving the Egyptians to their fate [so no battle report], but not before losing 4,682 legionaries. It was the largest setback of the Asia Minor campaign so far.

At this crucial point of the war, Consul Gurges decided to throw its future course open to the will of the Gods. He called on the Pontifex Maximus to invoke Mars himself. If the great God of War gave his blessing, the fight would go on. If not, it would be time to make peace.

“War, huh, what is it good for, Consul?” admonished a world-weary Humphronius as they awaited the results of the divination.

eGETgu.jpg

“Glory and conquest of course, Humphronius,” uttered Gurges pompously as he shook his head, as if to a dullard. “Really, where do you get these preposterous sayings from? Some passing minstrel? Do be a good fellow and leave the fighting to those of us who know all about it.”

“Er, yes, Consul.”

But as if to prove Humphronius’ point, the very same day Mars gave his blessing Lydia fell to a Rebel assault 33 days into a siege by the remnants of Apollonid's army, which had been left to its own devices by the busy Romans. By 18 August the Rebels had moved onto Pergamon and were attempting to win it back also.

Then, as the Romans were contemplating what to do about this sudden change in their fortunes, another blow fell: Aulus Claudius Caudex, the great Roman general of his generation, died whilst in command of Legio VI at the age of 68.

bXFvrE.jpg

Though the same day it was discovered the former Macedonian leader, Ptolemy Ptolemy, had become a loyal Roman citizen after the conquest! A fair general, he replaced Caudex as commander of Legio VI. He was soon sent to deal with the Rebels in Pergamon.

MUDl8c.jpg

Ptolemy’s first battle as a Roman legate began in Pergamon on 19 September and despite being inferior as a general to his Rebel opponent Aristotle Apollonid [Martial 6 v 8], he opened the battle impeccably [die rolls: 7 v 5+1] and had won the field by 23 September (Rome 1,461/22,638 lost, Rebels 2,662/14,201).

The very same day of Ptolemy’s victory, the 238 day siege of the key Pontic province of Bithynia ended in Roman victory. At this point, with the fight against the Seleucids proving as tough as had been expected as they defended their homeland – even if distracted by the Egyptians and a civil war – a peace offering was made by Rome to Pontus.

eACDgS.jpg

The key acquisition as far as Rome was concerned was Bithynia: securing both sides of the Propontis and providing a permanent foothold in Asia Minor – where units could also recuperate more quickly. It also allowed a lucrative toll to be charged for all passing trade.

lJlHRH.jpg

In early October, Legio V had recovered sufficiently to return to their field of shame in Thessaly against the rebels still holding out there. But this time, a new commander was in charge, the disgraced Dentatus having been replaced by Caelus Fabius Gurges, a new commander from the Military faction [Martial 7]. Even though he attacked over a river, he made no mistake in the battle [die rolls: Rome 6-1 v 4], beating the rebels in five days (Rome 624/8,883 lost, rebels 2,111/6,000 killed, remainder dispersed).

In Asia Minor, the Seleucids took advantage of Rome’s recent reverses to make a bid to seize back the key province of Phrygia, setting up their siege camp on 14 October 566, with around 28,000 soldiers. Meanwhile, the badly mauled Legio I had withdrawn to Lydia, where they aimed to take it back again from the Rebels.

Roman manpower stood at 172,000 by 2 November 566, with a massive 63,832 replacements needed. With Bithynia now a Roman possession, around 6,300 men should reach the legions this month.

At that time, the Seleucid Rebel army was approaching its Loyalist enemies in Phrygia. Legio IV, now with over 36,000 men in 42 cohorts, waited in Bithynia under the command of the experienced G.F. Licinus. Before he engaged, he would let the enemy fight amongst themselves for a while.

Between 9 and 11 September, the Loyalists (10th Stratos, Demetrius Zoticid, 42 regiments) duly destroyed the demoralised and outnumbered Rebel army (1st Stratos, Aristotle Apollonid, 20 regiments) in Phrygia. The start of that battle was the signal for Legio VI in Pergamon (Ptolemy, 20,645 men) and IV in Bithynia (Licinus, 36,091 men) to advance on Phrygia for yet another reckoning. The Seleucid Loyalists spotted the Romans coming and made to escape as soon as their battle with the Rebels had finished: they broke their siege and it was estimated they would make it to Pisidia by 29 November.

As this chase played out, the Egyptians reported more progress in the south, where they now occupied four Seleucid provinces, though they had lost Lycia again to the Loyalists. Their armies were running amok in the Seleucid heartland, while a large fleet was heading towards a Loyalist force in Mare Cyprium.

Rf1TgI.jpg

Between 18 November to 25 December, the epic naval clash in Mare Cyprium saw 94 Egyptian vessels take on 42 Loyalist ships. By the time it finished, 17 Loyalist ships had been sunk and the survivors were fleeing to Antioch, for no apparent Egyptian loss.

Lydia was retaken from the Rebels by Rome (Legio I, Barbula, 76 day siege) on 25 November. He still had only 9,154 men left in his much-reduced legion. Meanwhile, the Romans had been unable to catch the Loyalists in Phrygia. Legio IV arrived first and quickly chased them to Pisidia, not wanting to wait for Legio VI and having the enemy escape again, to gain more reinforcements and morale.

As that chase went on, back in Roma it was time for the Consular Election of 566 AUC. And despite the Religious and Populist factions dominating the floor of the Senate, it was a compromise candidate from the Mercantile faction that slipped through the middle to gain the honour.

r2o1ej.jpg

And Marcus Aemilius Lepidus was definitely no military man. It was a good thing Mars had granted his blessing earlier that year …

And so it was, on the Saturnalia of 566 AUC (188 BC), Licinus caught Zoticid in Pisidia. This time, even without Legio VI, the Romans had over 6,000 more men and better starting morale. The fighting was fierce from the start: the battle only lasted until 29 December before the Seleucid Loyalists broke. Any longer at that intensity, and few may have been left alive on either side!

533lZX.jpg

The year thus ended with the times and tide once more flowing in Rome and Egypt’s favour. But there was much work yet to be done in the west of Asia Minor, let alone in the Seleucid heartland. Rome remained at war with both the Seleucid civil war factions for now, while Egypt only fought the Loyalists.

§§§§§§§

Finis

Reactions:
Several hard fought battles, but a sucker of a Consul to take the reins. One might wonder if the commanders would see him as weak?

• 1Like
Reactions:
But battle and attrition (mainly the latter of late) now meant there were 20,699 vacant billets to be filled.
Those Egyptian commanders at Lycia!

But there was far more momentous news that day from the East, that would embolden Rome and Egypt further:
The national sport of the Seleucids!

With the Danube campaign ending in total victory, Legio XI set off along the western coast of Mare Euxinus towards Pontic-held Alazones (north of the modern Crimea), in search of more land to give leverage in future peace negotiations.
On the way there are some mean and ferocious barbarians, I hope none is provoked!

This signified the complete defeat of Macedon, which finally resulted in their full annexation. The old enemy was at last destroyed and one of the three Eastern Pact members had been permanently removed from the board.
Great job! Now 2 pact members + the rebels are left. We can get like more than half of Asia Minor if all goes well.

“I’m not sure how, ah, practical this demand is, Consul,” advised a dubious Bernardius when reporting this latest Senatorial gambit.
It is held by the Pontians, right? Or did Egpyt besiege there?

“War, huh, what is it good for, Consul?” admonished a world-weary Humphronius as they awaited the results of the divination.
Hallelujah! Or whatever Romans say in this case!

The very same day of Ptolemy’s victory, the 238 day siege of the key Pontic province of Bithynia ended in Roman victory. At this point, with the fight against the Seleucids proving as tough as had been expected as they defended their homeland – even if distracted by the Egyptians and a civil war – a peace offering was made by Rome to Pontus.
Pushing for 2 more provinces could've costed the entire war, so good call. Let's squeeze whatever we can from the Seleucid enemy brothers. Cilicia, Cappadocia and Commangene were at one point held by the Rebels but now Loyalists have it so unless the Rebels take some land from the loyalists, it's the two Aegean provinces we're getting from the rebels.

And the siege of Pergamon (Rebel) was won on 14 February after a 126 day Roman siege
Where the parents of my girlfriend lives most of the year!

I'm very happy your AARs started flowing, great episodes one after another! Thank you :)

• 1Love
Reactions:
Progress at last! The Macedonian menace is no more and Rome is taking full advantage of that fortunate Civil War.

That said the Senate continues to have odd ideas about who best to elect as Consul, to rebuild after a war a Mercantile leader would make perfect sense. Perhaps they are over-confident and are already looking to the peace deal and beyond?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Time now for the next chapter to be finalised, but first some traditional comment responses. It was a bit quiet during the January 'slow time', so thanks very much to the hardy souls who did offer them. :) <3
Several hard fought battles, but a sucker of a Consul to take the reins. One might wonder if the commanders would see him as weak?
It's tough fighting the large, technologically advanced and generally very well led Eastern armies, especially on their home terrain and even against an AI.I think the current legates would very likely see Lepidus as a wet blanket and not the martial man (like them) the Republic surely deserved to lead it, particularly in time of war. ;)
Those Egyptian commanders at Lycia!

The national sport of the Seleucids!

On the way there are some mean and ferocious barbarians, I hope none is provoked!

Great job! Now 2 pact members + the rebels are left. We can get like more than half of Asia Minor if all goes well.

It is held by the Pontians, right? Or did Egpyt besiege there?

Hallelujah! Or whatever Romans say in this case!

Pushing for 2 more provinces could've costed the entire war, so good call. Let's squeeze whatever we can from the Seleucid enemy brothers. Cilicia, Cappadocia and Commangene were at one point held by the Rebels but now Loyalists have it so unless the Rebels take some land from the loyalists, it's the two Aegean provinces we're getting from the rebels.

Where the parents of my girlfriend lives most of the year!

I'm very happy your AARs started flowing, great episodes one after another! Thank you :)
The Seleucids certainly do seem to be good at civil war and when they come, they seem to be pretty juicy and at inopportune times. Which is good for us.

Just have to either dodge the barbarians or walk over them if they dare appear!

Yes, held by Pontus for now, but we are worrying about bigger things, especially the Seleucids.

I hope we can conquer more of those spots you have personal familiarity with in the coming campaign! :D
Progress at last! The Macedonian menace is no more and Rome is taking full advantage of that fortunate Civil War.

That said the Senate continues to have odd ideas about who best to elect as Consul, to rebuild after a war a Mercantile leader would make perfect sense. Perhaps they are over-confident and are already looking to the peace deal and beyond?
And what is an imperial life without progress (and bloody conquest)? Boring and inglorious, of course. ;) The Seleucid Empire has become huge so it definitely needs some whittling down. Lepidus must have bribed his way into the job - he's no Wartime Consulieri! :D

Anyway, I do hope the readership is still out there/back after the holidays etc - and staying well. Next episode going up shortly. And there will be blood. Massive effusions of it. A very sanguinary business.

Chapter XC: A Very Sanguinary Business (1 January 567 AUC/187 BC to 13 January 569 AUC/184 BC)
Chapter XC: A Very Sanguinary Business
(1 January 567 AUC/187 BC to 13 January 569 AUC/184 BC)

XeUztb.jpg

Foreword. Rome’s war in the east has seen Macedonia annexed and Pontus defeated, with a forced peace. The Seleucid Loyalists remain in a civil war with their Rebel opponents and still at war with the three Alliance partners (Rome, Egypt and Massilia). Rome also remains at war with the Seleucid Rebels. All sides may be growing weary and losses have been heavy, but the Romans are in no mood for compromise, for now.

The story resumes with a number of sizeable armies on both sides fighting a war of manoeuvre throughout Asia Minor, with the Romans having come back from a difficult period with a significant victory in Pisidia by Gaius Fabius Licinus (Legio IV) over the Seleucid 7th Stratos of Demetrius Zoticid (who it turns out has a doppel-ganger).

In Roma, the militarily incompetent Marcus Aemilius Lepidus of the Mercantile faction had become Consul in early December 566 AUC.

§§§§§§§

Part I: The Eastern War - 1 January to 31 December 567

Imprecise reports came on 20 January of a battle in Lydia between the Loyalist 7th Stratos (D. Zoticid, 34 regiments) and Egyptian 1st Army (Polyperchon Ptolemy, 22 regiments). It seemed the Egyptians had lost by 28 January and were retreating north to Roman-occupied Pergamon – chased by the Seleucids.

Just to the east in Pisidia, the main allied Massilian army had arrived in mid-January and roped Legio IV (Ptolemy Ptolemy, 19,588 men) into an assault on the town. In this case, with around 39,000 troops involved, it succeeded, the town falling to Rome after a nine day siege on 21 January.

By 27 January, another Demetrius Zoticid [very confusing at the time, had to check back and compare portraits later] had command of the Loyalist 10th Stratos in Lycia – where G.F. Licinus was about to attack. The Seleucids were outnumbered but fought well, though it appeared Zoticid may have been wounded in the fighting, as his generalship was a little diminished from 2 February. Legio IV prevailed in a hard fight and pursued the Loyalists north to Lydia.

SGB1V3.jpg

By 5 February, the 7th Stratos was in Lydia and five days away from entering Pergamon. There, the undermanned Legio I (T.A. Barbula, 40 cohorts but only 12,688 men) plus the Egyptian 1st Army waited. But the Allies, though they had the advantage in numbers, got off to a terrible start [die roll Rome 0 v 5 Seleucid] on 10 February, which only improved somewhat by 15 February [2 v4]. Having already lost around 10% of his strength, Barbula withdrew to Bithynia to recuperate, leaving the Egyptians to fight as the rear guard: they retreated as well a few days later, leaving the field in Pergamon to the Loyalists.

By then, the Roman manpower reserve sat at 164,000, with a massive 80,516 reinforcements needed in the legions but only 3,666 expected to reach them in the next month. Replenishment would be a lot faster for Legio I on the now ‘home soil’ of Bithynia. But reports indicated the Loyalist’s manpower problems were far worse, though the Rebels still had a sizeable reserve of their own. Rome saw no more point in fighting the enemy of their enemy, so concluded a white peace with the Rebels on 18 February.

4rCf3k.jpg

By 11 March, the Loyalists had re-established control of Pergamon (taking it back from the Rebels after the separate treaty with Rome). Legio I arrived in Bithynia to recuperate and Legio VI was besieging Loyalist Perga, to the east of Lycia.

On 14 March, Legio IV (Licinus, 20,858 troops) arrived in Lydia to find the 7th Stratos there. For the loss of only five men, all 10,909 Seleucid soldiers were wiped out in a single day – a veritable massacre. This emboldened Licinus to keep marching without pause towards Pergamon, while Legio I (now with over 20,000 men) to confront Zoticid in Pergamon, where he marched post haste, not waiting to time his arrival with Barbula lest the Loyalists escape.

But his confidence was proved to be misplaced: perhaps the confusing name change back to the 7th Stratos, the identically named Loyalist generals or an unnoticed influx of troops was enough for the formidable Zoticid to turn the tables on Licinus this time from 29 March to 3 April, handing him a drubbing before Licinus ordered a hasty withdrawal. Barbula would have to do the job later in the month.

JNAGtp.jpg

Hot on the heels of this nasty defeat in Pergamon came stunning diplomatic news.

T6jUBp.jpg

Rome would have to fight on without its major ally and all the distraction Egypt had been giving the Seleucid Loyalists. For just six gold. A disgrace! Rome would only have been able to extract one province (probably Sparta) at that time [warscore 36%] – which was far too little for the blood expended so far. Little did Consul Lepidus realise how much more would be spilt during his term.

Soon after, the Massilians stepped up, with the 2nd Stratos (Hippocrates Zagreid, 24 regiments) attacking Zoticid (the superior one, the Romans believed) and his 7th Stratos in Pergamon on 10 April, before Legio I could get there. And it seemed they may have won by 19 April, with Zoticid heading to Lydia (due by 29 April) followed by the Massilians (due there by 3 May).

Around this time, little Corduene decided to declare war on the Rebels (possibly the Loyalists as well, but this is lost to history) – perhaps hoping to expand their little independent state in the Seleucid heartland.

a8H649.jpg

Then on 25 April, Barbula had his revenge when he fell upon the weakened 7th Stratos in Pergamon before they could escape to Lydia, inflicting heavy casualties over the five days it took the Loyalists to escape.

JJ0d4u.jpg

By early May, the manpower reserve stood at 151,000, with 69,439 vacancies in the legions; 6,431 should reach them this month.

The Massilians were again fighting the Seleucids by 5 May, this time in Lydia: they were proving an active and useful little substitute for the loss of Egypt’s support in the east. However, it looked like their attack had been cut short by the death of their commander, Zagreid, as the 2nd Stratos was seen retreating leaderless back to Pergamon by 8 May.

Barbula with Legio I had no such problem when he confronted Zoticid in Lydia on 27 May: he had won by the 31st (Rome 734/23,052 killed, Loyalists 1,465/9280). Zoticid withdrew his 7th Stratos survivors towards Phrygia – but perhaps unknown to him, Licinus with Legio IV was already on his way there from Bithynia!

Legio V (Caelus Fabius Gurges, 8,946 men) arrived in Pergamon on 5 June for a siege, only to be sucked in [again – it gets me every time!] by the survivors of the Massilian 2nd Stratos into a reckless assault on the walls – which failed, of course.

But on 15 June, Licinus had his own revenge of Zoticid when the latter pulled into Phrygia only to find themselves ambushed by the waiting Legio IV. Licinus lost just eight legionaries in wiping out the last of Zoticid’s 6,415 men in a single day.

Things quietened down for a little while and on 27 July, a small but welcome boost to recruiting saw the eroding manpower reserve increased a little.

bKdefU.jpg

By 28 July, Legio IV had marched into Cappadocia and begun its siege. A few days later, Pergamon fell to siege after 77 days. On 18 August, Legio I was in Cilicia, leaving a detachment of around 5,000 to invest it while Barbula pushed on to Antioch with around 21,400 troops.

With Seleucid resistance largely suppressed for the moment, Legio XI (A.I. Dives, 15,571 men) pushed into Galatia on 6 September, lost 88 men wiping out a 1,000 man Loyalist regiment and settled into a siege. The same day, Legio I reached Antioch, leaving another detachment of around 2,500 while Barbula took the remaining 18,000 north to Commagene.

Four days later, a similar ploy was used in Perga, with 2,500 left there and Ptolemy taking the other 15,000 men of Legio VI north to Pisidia to look for further opportunities. That same day, the Loyalist 1st Stratos (Seleukos Apollonid, 40 regiments, strength likely far less) was spotted in Sophene, also heading to Commagene.

As those approach marches played out, on 8 October Naval Prefect Arvirargus Vodenosid (Classis IV, 90 ships) set sail from Euboea after spotting a Seleucid fleet passing by to their south, giving chase. It took until 7 November to catch the 16 enemy galleys under the elite Admiral Shapur Arkhid in Mare Ionium. The Seleucids escaped on 12 November, taking damage but not losing any ships.

Another inconclusive naval skirmish followed on 18-22 November in Sinus Cyparissus (off Aetolia) but on 30 November the Loyalist fleet was run down in Sinus Messeniacus – and this time there was no escape.

9IPSNh.jpg

Back in Asia Minor, the enemy’s 1st Stratos took up position in Commagene on 29 October, with Legio I in Cilicia and Legio IV (now with 35,700 men under the command of Licinus) in Cappadocia both marching to confront the Loyalists.

But as they were approaching, Rome lost her last ally in the Eastern War on 2 November. The Massilians had done some good work, but had now seen enough.

fXg2mz.jpg

In effect, it was now a death match between the two alliance leaders – though the Seleucids still also had their civil war to deal with. And the next few months would see three more epic battles that helped decide the course of the conflict, though not yet to a decisive end.

The Battle of Commagene started on 13 November, with Licinus arriving first and making a brilliant start against the talented Apollonid. The Romans already had a 10,000 man numerical advantage, when on 16 November Barbula arrived on a flank march, taking overall command and bringing Roman strength to over 50,000 men. The Loyalists (wisely) fled the next day to Armenia, having taken enormous casualties.

Gz7iSe.jpg

Legio I held in place, while Barbula took Legio IV off to pursue the enemy. The very next day, the Loyalist 9th Stratos (Amyntas Apollonid, 33 regiments) was discovered in Pontus, striking south at Legio V and VI (26,500 men between them) in Galatia. The two Legates agreed to brace for the coming attack, not wanting to give up their siege works.

On 8 December 567 AUC, Licinus arrived in Armenia just before S. Apollonid and found himself attacked – very effectively. But Seleucid morale was already shaky, the Romans had more than ten times the heavy infantry and outnumbered the Loyalist overall by almost two-to-one.

When an adjutant remarked to Licinus that the 9th Stratos was due to attack Galatia on 23 December, the veteran legate remarked:

“Mark my words, Sextus, this battle will be all over by Saturnalia.”

Alas, his words were marked – as was the deck of cards Apollonid was using! Saturnalia came and not once had Licinus managed to get the tactical edge over his skilful opponent. Now it was Roman morale that was eroding more rapidly.

vGq0x2.jpg

The battle in Galatia started as anticipated on 23 December – and this fight was more even, with a Roman starting advantage of about 4,000 men. But A. Apollonid was the slightly better commander. The fighting flowed back and forth, no side having achieved a decisive advantage as the new year began and the Romans suffering somewhat heavier casualties. Morale on both sides was faltering, but the Romans seemed to have the edge in that regard.

zZWofh.jpg

At sea, Classis IV found another incautious Seleucid fleet in Mare Carpathicum on 25 December, celebrating Saturnalia by sinking eight enemy galleys.

The year ended with the tide in the battle for Armenia finally turned by Licinus, who emerged bruised but victorious on 6 January.

6cMXFx.jpg

The fight in Galatia continued.

§§§§§§§

Part II: Rome and the West - 1 January 567 to 13 January 569

The peace in the rest of the Republic was disrupted on 2 March 567 with the outbreak of a revolt by the Adrymachidae tribe in Numidia. Legio VII, garrisoned in Ikosim (T.O. Crassus, 18,000 men) was sent to quell the 10,000 barbarian warriors. It would take until 8 May to reach them, but when Crassus [Martial 9] got there, he found the barbarian war chief Ezena Senuid [Martial 0] no match at all. In three days, all of the army of 9,604 Adrymachidae warriors were slaughtered for the loss of only 25 Romans. Job done, Crassus took the 8.17 gold in booty and 10,000 slaves and started marching all the way back to Ikosim.

Not long after the revolt had broken out in Numidia, 5,000 Belli warriors revolted in Ruteni, in southern Gaul. Unfortunately for them, Legio III ‘Nova’ (Cunobelinus Correid, 15,000 men) was stationed next door in Cadurci and were soon marching south-east. The battle lasted from 2 to 10 April, with the Romans emerging victorious, to no-one's surprise (Rome 406/15,000; Belli 1,858/5,000 killed).

The Belli (as tradition and honour demanded) returned to Ruteni for another serve on 25 June and were this time destroyed by the next day (Rome 14/15,000; Belli 3,042 killed). A small amount of gold and 5,000 slaves were taken.

In Roma, the annual omen met with chicken-pecking success – another year of efficient research guaranteed.

QmAgpe.jpg

On 22 September, a stockade was completed in the new province of Aquitani, which was celebrated by the starting of two new temples, one each there and in nearby Santones. They would be completed in just under a year.

§§§§§§§

The new year of 568 AUC began inauspiciously, with a massive barbarian uprising in north-west Hispania, just north of the Roman province of Lusitani. It would take the whole of Legio X under the ‘other A.C. Caudex’ to confront them, and even then he would be outnumbered. This Lanciensi invasion would end up taking many months to deal with.

v1xnRZ.jpg

On 31 January, the Lanciensi were in Lusitani – and assaulting the 1,000 man garrison. The garrison fought hard, but was overrun in eight days. Lusitani was sacked [civilisation decrease of 7.03%, which is quite nasty] but no longer being a colony they survived under barbarian occupation rather than being destroyed: some small consolation.

The barbarians were marching east as Legio X arrived in Vettones and marched west to meet them head on. The barbarians reached Vettones first and caught Caudex, the better tactician, badly by surprise on 18 March. But the Lanciensi had set out before recovering properly from their assault on the walls of Lusitani and their morale remained low. Caudex recovered the initiative and beat the barbarians after a sharp week-long battle, pursuing them back to Lusitani.

8dVJ3P.jpg

The Lanciensi were confronted again in Lusitani from 2 to 8 May, taking heavier losses (Rome 976/14,107; Lanciensi 4,291/18,029 killed). Caudex chose not to assault Lusitani, but laid out the siege, knowing the barbarians would keep returning blindly until they were wiped out.

§§§§§§§

As Caudex waited, Consul Lepidus received news that the Atrebates in northern Gaul had run out of money and reneged on their tribute payments. Lepidus was outraged. The Fetial Priests advised Rome would have a casus belli on them for the next year.

KxpDxc.jpg

“This is a grave liberty. They must be punished!” raged the Consul.

“Really, Consul?” soothed an unctuous Humphronius. “They are but a minor annoyance and hardly worth the trouble, especially with everything else we have going on at the moment.”

Harrumph, Humphronius!” replied Lepidus, with one eyebrow raised in a ‘You see what I did there?’ look. “What do you suggest then.”

“The time honoured strategy of masterful inaction, Consul. It usually works a treat, especially when it's some barbarian flea-speck that doesn’t even border the Republic – our Parisii tributaries provide a wide buffer.”

“Oh, very well then, Humphronius. I suppose it would be bad for business. Masterful inaction it shall be, then.”

“Yes, Consul, very bad for business,” smiled the smug – and relieved – bureaucrat as he excused himself from the Consul’s tablinum.

“Ah, Humphronius,” whispered Bernardius as they left. “Your wine shipment from a Vercegorex of the Atrebates Vintners Consortium has just arrived. Ten wagon-loads. Do you want it delivered to your home, or the warehouse?”

“Be quiet, Bernardius. Do you want the whole of Roma to hear about it!? Get it sent to the warehouse – discreetly, if you please. And once it is secure take a couple of amphorae for yourself, young fellow.”

Yes, Humphronius.”

§§§§§§§

The Lanciensi were defeated again in July (Rome 558/12,939; Lanciensi 4,858/13,298 killed) and then September (Rome 141/13,736; Lanciensi 2,997/8,250 killed). Lusitani was retaken on 13 October after a 167 day siege, before the Lanciensi were once more defeated in November (Rome 0/13,919; Lanciensi 2,760/5,063 killed) then finally wiped out from 10-13 January 569 (Rome 4/14,055; Lanciensi 2,223 killed), with 28.66 gold and 22,000 slaves taken as plunder.

Elsewhere, Santones in western Gaul had become a full province on 19 July 568. The the annual omen had once more been successfully invoked.

fF6PLm.jpg

In Graecia, 6,000 malcontents in Euboea revolted on 1 October. A detachment of around 13,000 men recovering in Bithynia was put under the command of Faustus Pomponius Matho and ‘sent around the long way’ through Macedonia to confront them. It would take a long march that was not yet over as the new year dawned. The walls in Euboea were strong though, so all should be well enough.

In late October, two new colonisation prospects were identified in central Hispania: Arevaci and Lusones. Five cohorts under G.C. Scipio were sent down from Aquitani to do some barbarian-stirring. They arrived in Lusones on 7 January 569 and began their provocation of the local inhabitants.

§§§§§§§

Part III: The Seleucid War - 1 January 568 to 13 January 569

Some in Rome thought the great war in the east – now called simply the Seleucid War – was virtually over. 568 AUC would prove a sharp lesson. Much more blood – Seleucid and Roman – would water the fields, hills and rocky highlands of Asia Minor before the year was out. For a start, the close and expensive Battle of Armenia was only won on 6 January (as we saw at the end of Part I above), while the fight in Galatia raged on.

As both battles continued, on 1 January 568 the Seleucids tried to interest Rome in peace again – but the white peace offered was always going to be brushed off with haughty disdain.

On 5 January, another two Seleucid galleys were sent to the bottom by Classis IV, in Hermaeum Promontorum, south of Crete. The victory in Armenia came the next day. But the battle in Galatia hung in the balance and had much longer yet to go.

C.F. Gurges did well to maintain a slight tactical edge through until 17 January, but then Apollonid made one last attempt to wrest back the initiative. It was not enough, and though the Romans once again suffered more casualties than their enemies, they managed to hold their nerve and eke out another close victory.

oLE54z.jpg

With both these harrowing battles won, by 23 January the enemy was in retreat: 9th Stratos back to Pontus and the 1st Stratos east from Armenia to Artashat. Legio IV reorganised, sending its 22 weakest cohorts (only 6,225 men) all the way back west to occupied Pisidia for recuperation. Licinus kept 30 cohorts with 18,453 men (then suffering 10% attrition) with him in Armenia.

In Galatia, Legio V (C.F. Gurges) kept the 23 strongest cohorts (numbering 14,000 men) with him, while Ptolemy took 18 cohorts in Legio VI (with only 3,000 men) back towards Bithynia, for more efficient reinforcement. Manpower reserves were now down to 142,000 with 86,444 replacements needed in front line units and only around 1,800 currently predicted to reach them that month, with many legions in hostile or occupied territory.

On 12 February, a small army of 6,000 Seleucid troops (six new, full strength regiments: 4,000 heavy infantry, 1,000 cavalry and 1,000 archers) with no leader blundered into Licinus in Armenia, who still had over 19,700 men to hand. It was over the next day, all 6,000 Loyalists killed for only three legionaries. A senseless waste of good troops, for sure.

Legio VI (Ptolemy) reached Bithynia on 23 February, in sore need of a rest (just 2,593 troops in 17 cohorts after attrition along the way). The next day, word came of victory in the siege of Cilicia (on the coast, north of Cyprus) after 191 days.

On 20 March, scouts reported that over 80 Seleucid regiments (1st and 13th Stratos) were now in Artashat. The 13th was marching west back to Armenia (due on 8 May), the 1st south-west to Sophene (due on 7 May). Five days later, Legio XI (Dives, 7,391 men in 15 cohorts) started heading from Cappadocia to Armenia to provide support to Licinus, with Legio I (Barbula) staying for the siege in Cappadocia. By the beginning of April, this move by Legio XI had ‘scared off’ the Seleucids, with the 13th Stratos halting in Artashat: they now followed the 1st Stratos to Sophene instead.

Cappadocia fell to Barbula after 253 days of siege on 6 April, freeing Legio I for more manoeuvre if required. On 20 April, Legio XI halted in Cappadocia when it was threatened by the returning 9th Stratos, striking south from Pontus and due on 11 May. And at that point, 13th Stratos stopped its move to Sophene and restarted its advance on Licinus in Armenia, where (if it kept going) it should arrive in the first week of June. The Roman armies in both these locations now hunkered down for the next Seleucid onslaught.

The attack on Cappadocia came first, the two Roman legions under Barbula comfortably seeing off A. Apollonid’s 9th Stratos between 12-22 May 568.

sC5hP9.jpg

The Roman detachment in Perga finally overcame the defences there after a 457 day siege on 21 May, further securing the rear areas of Asia Minor. Then the next hammer blow fell on Armenia on 6 June. 13th Stratos was commanded by yet another elite Seleucid general, Mitrodoros Vardanid, who had a slight tactical edge over Licinus, but found himself attacking over a river. Licinus handled his men very effectively and was soon inflicting increasingly heavy casualties on the attackers, who withdrew badly mauled on 14 June.

g4TFqf.jpg

After all the recent blood-letting and attrition, the manpower reserve was at 126,000 on 24 June, with 77,488 needed to fill vacancies. More troops were now recovering in friendly territory, so 7,000 replacements should find their way into units that month.

Numerius Fabius Pictor was manning the siege lines of Antioch with a sizeable detachment of around 9,600 men while these large battles went on to the north. All had been quiet there until then, but he was surprised by a new enemy force which attacked him on 29 June. Heavily outnumbered, though with more heavier infantry and a strong cavalry force, he managed to give as good as he got and defeated the attack by 4 July, doing his reputation considerable good.

9mF6HC.jpg

Commagene fell after a 229 day siege on 5 July, as the Romans rested and waited for the Seleucid’s next moves. The Romans had sent a detachment south to besiege Syria, but it withdrew back to Antioch when threatened by the returning 1st and the newly sighted 11th Stratos (six regiments) in early September, coming from Edessa: they were in turn chasing a nine regiment Rebel army they had just defeated there.

Antioch fell on 23 September, with Rome now holding a considerable chunk of Seleucid land. But they wanted more yet.

BDJZqW.jpg

The next major battle came at the end of November, yet again in Commagene. Barbula’s Legio I was slightly outnumbered by Vardanid’s 13th Stratos and the generals were evenly matched in skill – but the Romans had overcome such difficulties many times before. Not in this occasion, though: Barbula got off to a terrible start, cutting his losses and withdrawing as soon as he could, so as not to compound the defeat and turn it into a disaster. And he knew Legio VI had been ordered north from Antioch with over 27,000 men when the battle began, the the Seleucids were effectively putting their foot in a trap. Ptolemy’s rebuilt and reinforced legion was itching for action – but would have to wait until the end of December to have it.

AEyXuS.jpg

The other strange thing about the battle for Commagene was that, in the middle of it, its commander found out he had been elected Consul in absentia (very much not in the Roman Republican tradition) on 2 December! Even though the Military faction remained very small in the Senate, leading generals remained very popular. And in a time of war, they turned to one again. The morale of Roman troops everywhere improved as soon as word spread.

PheMxY.jpg

What Barbula lacked in finesse and religious dedication, he made up for in military talent. He was soon advised by a worried Bernardius, who had come out from Rome to the field for the Consular handover, that manpower reserves were down to 100,000 men, but only 50,886 replacements were currently needed.

The year was almost done, but not the vicious sanguinary activity. Ptolemy’s revitalised Legio VI attacked Vardanid’s 13th Stratos in Commagene on 30 December. Ptolemy acquitted himself comparatively well against a far more fancied opponent. Despite a difficult period from 4 January, Ptolemy used his numerical advantage, rallied and overcame ebbing morale to close out a tough victory on 12 January 569 AUC.

uBZALQ.jpg

The year had ended as it began: as Janus looked both backward and forward, all he could see was blood soaking into the ground.

§§§§§§§

Finis

Last edited:
Reactions:
Goodness! Mars' appetite certainly seems endless... What's the butcher's bill totals up to at this point?

• 1Like
Reactions:
“Mark my words, Sextus, this battle will be all over by Saturnalia.”
This does not sound well at all :D

The the annual omen had once more been successfully invoked.
The chicken are finally on a run!

Cilicia (on the coast, north of Cyprus)
Ha! That's my hometown! There's a Roman bridge built in 2nd century AD which was still used by motorized vehicles as recent as 2007. At that time, it was the oldest Roman bridge that was still being actively used. Now it's pedestrian only.
1920px-Ta%C5%9Fk%C3%B6pr%C3%BC%27n%C3%BCn_Panoramik_Foto%C4%9Fraf%C4%B1.jpg

This is also the place where Saint Theophilus the Penitent lived, his is the oldest story of a pact with the devil and was an inspiration for the Faust legend. Not many people know this, but this can be a good tourism catch. Not as good as the kebabs, but still.
5a4cb9dec9de3d11988cae3f.jpg

Cappadocia fell to Barbula after 253 days of siege on 6 April
Where my uncle studied medicine, home to the best dried meat
Traditional-Turkish-Pastirma-Nation-of-Turks.jpg

Commagene fell after a 229 day siege
Home to an extraordinary megalithic site, the tomb of the king of Commagene who founded the kingdom after the Seleucids fall apart when the Romans beat them.
1280px-East_Terrace_%284961356591%29.jpg

Antioch fell on 23 September
I'm not putting any visuals from here, because not being able to east the best food of the world right now would kill me

The morale of Roman troops everywhere improved as soon as word spread.
Excellent news! With the added morale and extra military idea.

A lot of lives lost, and I was hoping for a few extra provinces maybe from the rebels, but going very strong against the Seleucids. Victory will be Roman!

• 1Love
Reactions:
An intimidatingly large update as always. The Selucids and their cunning tactics (not least around confusing names) are a worthy foe. Though of course the problem with worthy foes is that they are quite hard to beat, maybe Rome should focus on un-worthy foes that could be beaten without so much bloodshed?

Will our new military focused Consul prosecute the war with renewed vigour, or will it take a proven man of war to bring peace?

• 1Like
Reactions: