• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An entire Legion destroyed! My heavens, we must surely have struck that Legates head from his neck had we the fortunes to regain his person.

Speaking of the Populist resurgence: how much control does the player have over how the Senate is filled? Does it come down to a "do good and hope for the best" or what?

Reactions:
The Populists are doing well. Let us hope that they don't get ideas and tear apart the Republic.

Also, the Eastern Pact is clearly full of sore losers who kill the better Roman generals. Perfidious Greeks!

The Auseanes did well. Unfortunately for them, they are not the Germans...

Reactions:
The next Consular election was held on 3 December – and this time the Populist champion Rufinus would not be denied. This increased agitation in the provinces and caused mutterings around the Republic.
It's interesting populists stayed so strong at a time of prosperity and peace.

Roast chicken was on the menu for dinner that evening.
Never gets old :D

Unfortunately for Correid and Legio IX, the Auseanes returned Correid’s earlier favour and pursued them back to Hippo Regius. The second Battle of Hippo Regius battle was over so quickly on 20 September that no record exists of its conduct. It must have been a disastrous ambush, however, as the whole legion – 4,700 men - was slaughtered to a man, with the Auseanes recording only 80 casualties. It was one of the more abject and humiliating losses in recent Roman military history.
:eek:

Recent years had seen the Populists become the dominant faction, with the Religious party the only other large grouping. Ironically, the provinces looted under Rufinus' watch the year before contributed significantly to their current political attraction.
This partly answers my earlier question, it's mostly the personal charisma of the faction leader?

“Well, that is one bright spot at least, Consul!” Humphronius replied enthusiastically, misconstruing the Consul’s view of this state of affairs.
:D

the recovery and prospering of Rome after the big war has been relatively quick, another good update (and a much missed one, with the weather deteriorating I'm hoping the forums will become livelier again), thanks for it :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ruddy populists. Throwing them in the Tiber is too good for them :)

I am most perturbed though by this run of good omens. It seems unnatural.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Clearly Fortuna(RNG) has decidedly swung in our favor...

Reactions:
And yet she deserted us at Hippo Regius.

Though I suppose the run of religious consuls (save for the brief, disastorous, poulist interlude) is perhaps the cause of this run of fortune. After all, if any faction could 'arrange' an omen to be interpreted correctly or convince a recalcitrant chicken it would be them.

Reactions:
At first I feared that this was all a bit Teutoburg Forest, but even 'though it wasn't, what a bloodbath.

Reactions:
It is now time for my 'update rotation policy' to bring things back to Rome again (I know it seems a month plus between updates, but that's still roughly one big update per week, with HOI3 mod and RL activities and big news events in between). Fear not, the Republic lives on!
See, this is what populism gets you, a loss against the Barbarians! Oddly enough, I agree with the final conclusion of Humphronius, my favourite Roman emperor is Antoninus Pius.
These populists will crop up every so often, all we can do in weather the effects of their misguided policies and then rectify later. ;) It would be nice to have 'Five Good Consuls' in this ATL, but they don't govern for long: the best we can hope for is a period of sound administration, with large-scale peace but small-scale expansion for the next little while. But, eventually, there will be another reckoning with Pontus and the Seleucids and the winding up of the Macedonian rump state.
An entire Legion destroyed! My heavens, we must surely have struck that Legates head from his neck had we the fortunes to regain his person.

Speaking of the Populist resurgence: how much control does the player have over how the Senate is filled? Does it come down to a "do good and hope for the best" or what?
Very grim, but not catastrophic, at least. Yes, for the Senate, I guess one can try to really micromanage things to try to shift the Senate a little to or from one faction to another, but the effect is fairly minimal I've found and while factional alignment of the Consul does shade things, it's not enough to bother with overdoing the Senate-influencing.
The Populists are doing well. Let us hope that they don't get ideas and tear apart the Republic.

Also, the Eastern Pact is clearly full of sore losers who kill the better Roman generals. Perfidious Greeks!

The Auseanes did well. Unfortunately for them, they are not the Germans...
I think we've been able to keep the Populists under control enough that civil war is avoided. Overly ambitious generals are frankly a far more credible threat to the peace. The one civil war we've had so far is proof of that.
It's interesting populists stayed so strong at a time of prosperity and peace.
It gives them time to make mischief. Idle hands and the devil, etc.
This partly answers my earlier question, it's mostly the personal charisma of the faction leader?
For the Populists, yes, plus not invoking an omen and a few other largely avoidable factors.
the recovery and prospering of Rome after the big war has been relatively quick, another good update (and a much missed one, with the weather deteriorating I'm hoping the forums will become livelier again), thanks for it :)
Thanks! I know it's taken a while, but with the warmer weather here I'm playing more sport, and I think world events/pandemic may have sapped a bit of nervous energy from the writing and reading on the Forums. But I'll keep plugging away on all the stuff I'm doing.

Yes, the Tiber may be too good for those bottom-feeders. :D I should generally expected around a 60/40 ratio of good to bad omens, so I'm sure things will even up along the way. :confused:
We'll ride the good fortune while it lasts.
And yet she deserted us at Hippo Regius.

Though I suppose the run of religious consuls (save for the brief, disastorous, poulist interlude) is perhaps the cause of this run of fortune. After all, if any faction could 'arrange' an omen to be interpreted correctly or convince a recalcitrant chicken it would be them.
Fortuna is always fickle, and while she frequently favours the bold, it's no guarantee. Very true re the Religious faction: they seem to be expert poultry-analysts! :D
At first I feared that this was all a bit Teutoburg Forest, but even 'though it wasn't, what a bloodbath.
Indeed, the regrettable effusion of blood was - er, very regrettable! Oh, for a simple decimation instead. But with just the one legion lost, we can make up the ground again.

All: OK, back now to the game and my hoped-for broader sweep of the historical arc as I try to get this done before Imperator II is launched! :D Thank you all for your support, comments, and the nod for this work at the recent ACAs: very much appreciated. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
All: OK, back now to the game and my hoped-for broader sweep of the historical arc as I try to get this done before Imperator II is launched!
I believe that game is scheduled for launch just after Victoria III. ;)

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Chapter LXXXVII: Ennui (23 May 559/195 BC to 31 May 563/191 BC)
Chapter LXXXVII: Ennui
(23 May 559/195 BC to 31 May 563/191 BC)

SWCGE9.jpg

Foreword. The long post-war peace had continued into 559 AUC. Humphronius and Bernardius settled into their official roles, much as their family had for many decades now – apart from the one interruption. Eyes remained focused on barbarians, revolts and gradual expansion in the West and building forces and manpower reserves for the inevitable Third Eastern War that all knew was coming one day, but not when.

Maps showing the various battle locations and general dispositions by the end of this four-year period can be found at the end the chapter.

§§§§§§§

23 May 559 – 30 June 560

Knowledge of construction techniques gradually developed, but no new breakthroughs were expected in that sphere for some years yet.

DsilVB.jpg

By early September 559, the Seleucid 5th Stratos garrisoning Sparta numbered 36 regiments. Rome began to reorient its own border legions from central Greece to Achaea and Argolis to match it. They also started to recruit more men in Greece to ensure they could outnumber the Seleucids if it did come to war, with three principes cohorts, and one each of cavalry and horse archers beginning training in early September.

In November, two more ships began construction, part of a gradual naval expansion program that would continue steadily over the coming few years. And in December, three more cohorts of principes began training in Hispania, destined to reinforce the African Garrison in Ikosim.

§§§§§§§

The shipbuilding program gained a fortuitous boost in January 560 – an investment the now overflowing Aerarium was easily able to afford.

1m02AI.jpg

Finally, after many months of waiting, the Triboci tribe rose in Turones (on the Gallic-German border) on 2 February 560. G.C. Scipio, commanding the 5,000 legionaries of Legio III (Detachment II), lost only 59 men in wiping out the 2,000 tribesmen over three days. The colonists were sent for and would arrive on 5 June 560.

On 11 February, two more cohorts (principes and archers) were raised in Greece to further bolster the legions guarding the border with Sparta. Soon after, the recently claimed province of Histri saw a barbarian uprising on 3 March, but only 1,000 Ligures warriors challenged the in situ garrison of D.C. Maximus’ Legio XII (15,000 men). It was over in a single day, with no Roman soldiers lost.

At the end of March, Humphronius and Bernardius presented a summary of the political situation in Rome to Consul Drusus Cornelius Scipio, of the Military faction. It did not make happy reading for Scipio. The Populist faction continued to dominate the Senate, with polling showing its leader (L.A. Barbula) was the hot favourite for the next consulship and another Populist was also in the running.

NF3HqJ.jpg

Of the five Senatorial factions, the Military had the least current political attraction, so its prospects of growing were small. The one thing that tended to favour them in consular elections was their dominance of military commands. This meant their leading members were often very popular from battlefield victories and hence tended to garner good cross-party support, so their candidates were still able to get elected regularly, despite their small factional base.

In May, the next play in the cursus honorum was made.

Kd7JcY.jpg

The outstanding young military prospect T.A Regulus was promoted from Pontifex to Censor, replaced by the charismatic Q.A. Papus (bearer of a famous name, but no military genius) as no more promising military talents were eligible for the top of priesthood at that time. This would free up A.I. Dives for the next key military appointment.

But despite the large persuasive bonus provided by Papus as the new Pontifex, the omen called that very day failed miserably. The guilty chicken ended up being eaten for its recalcitrance.

7dZxT3.jpg

Soon after, Dives was given the command of Legio XI (16,000 men), currently deployed forward in Egyptian Caria, in Asia Minor. And Turones was duly settled and a new stockade commenced a few days later.

§§§§§§§

1 Jul 560 – 30 Jun 561

The consolidation of previously conquered lands went on, with Thracia adopting Roman culture on 4 September 560. In the West, the next expansion project was begun with G.C. Scipio’s 5,000 man detachment heading to Remi, to clear it of barbarians for later Roman settlement.

The ample gold reserves were used again on 12 November, when a temple fire was turned into an opportunity for more a more receptive climate for omens over the next two years.

t8Tqow.jpg

The Consular election of 2 December 560 brought no surprise: The Populist L.A. Barbula (grandson of his namesake, the first Consul of this era) was elected.

bxNd3S.jpg

His administrative finesse was mediocre and he was only mildly charismatic, while his non-existent military abilities would provide no bonus for the morale of the troops. This was compounded by his immediate ‘traditional’ populist repeal of professional soldiering further lowered the discipline of the principes (by 10%).

Humphronius and Bernardius simply shared a glum and apprehensive look as they prepared to brief the incoming Consul on the issues of the day.

“Oh dear,” was all Bernardius could muster.

“Quite,” was the simple response, as Humphronius braced himself for the task at hand. “The Republic will survive … I hope.”

“We must expand the reach of the Republic,” announced Barbula grandly as they entered. “I have noticed Vettones in Hispania is now available for colonisation. Settling it will link our holdings on the peninsula and shut off further Egyptian expansion there. Send troops there at once to clear out any barbarian rabble.”

“Yes, Consul.” But the task would prove more difficult and time consuming than even the cautious Humphronius anticipated.

§§§§§§§

The first trouble in Gaul emerged on 22 January 561, when a horde of around 10,000 Orgonomesci barbarians rose in Ruteni (southern Gaul). Their initial assault on the stockade there failed by 2 February, by which time Legio III ‘Nova’, commanded by Hiram Magoid, was marching south from Bituriges (northern Gaul) with 10,000 men to relieve the siege.

As trouble simmered in southern Gaul, another barbarian uprising occurred on 17 March in Breuci, south of the Danube. The Taurisci had 8,000 men besieging the town, while G.F. Licinus began marching south from his nearby border encampment in Scordisci with the 8,000 men of Legio IV. Licinus engaged the Taurisci on 12 April and had defeated them comfortably by 25 April, losing only 187 men and killing 3,388 barbarians. He pursued them north to Roman Scordisci.

While that pursuit continued, back in Gaul Magoid caught up with the Orgonomesci in Ruteni on 26 April. The fight was tougher than anticipated, against an effective barbarian commander who played his limited hand well. The battle lasted until 11 May, when the Romans won a victory in which they lost more men than their less well-armed opponents. And there was no doubt the now unpopular Populist consul (after those two uprisings, with -20 popularity each) had a poor effect on Roman morale.

dh3py8.jpg

But a win was a win and Magoid pursued the barbarians when they fled to Roman Cadurci. And the day the battle in Ruteni ended, Licinus caught up with the Taurisci in Scordisci, wiping out the remaining 4,452 warriors for only 13 Roman casualties.

Magoid then attacked the Orgonomesci in Cadurci on 2 June, where an inconclusive victory was won and the bulk of the barbarian warband fled west. Magoid would await their return and take the opportunity to rebuild his numbers.

20mlJ3.jpg

June ended with yet another failed omen, despite all the advantages the Pontifex brought to the invocation. Some succulent roast chicken was small compensation for a second successive year of slowed research.

bvJA4E.jpg

§§§§§§§

1 Jul 561 – 30 Jun 562

The build-up in Greece continued, with three new cohorts of principes and one of equites (cavalry) beginning training on 24 July. But these were ultimately destined for the Roman force in Asia Minor.

In northern Gaul, the Insubres rose against Roman provocation in Remi on 2 September. But G.C. Scipio fell upon them viciously, wiping all 3,000 tribesmen out in just four days, losing only 37 soldiers doing so. Once more, the settlers were called forward and were due early in the new year.

To the south, the Orgonomesci returned to Cadurci on 9 September. Magoid had built Legio III back up to its current full strength of 10,000 men – but the barbarians seemed to have picked up some more followers while in Aquitani. Though the Romans still outnumbered them, were better armed and started with better morale. Magoid started a little better than his opponent, but then Luxinus Mandonid took a slight edge.

CYtO8B.jpg

As the battle dragged on through September, the Romans could never quite get the upper hand and their morale started to drain away, until the battle took a disastrous turn on 29 September.

0y270U.jpg

Though inflicting more casualties than he lost, Magoid lost the bloody battle on 2 October and Legio III routed to Ruteni in ignominy. They arrived there on 23 October and were ordered to Arverni, where they would be joined by one of the legion’s returning detachments that had begun marching across from Vindelicia as soon as the battle in Cadurci was lost.

jR6N02.jpg

Another barbarian rising occurred along the Danube in Scordisci on 2 December, but the 1,000 Senones warriors were wiped out by Legio IV within three days, for the loss of just 46 men. And these easy victories were making Licinus more popular than ever.

§§§§§§§

As Magoid rebuilt his legion and awaited reinforcements in Arverni, Remi was settled on 5 January 562 and work on its stockade began immediately. The barbarian siege of Cardurci inched forward (13% progress).

On 2 February, yet another potential barbarian invasion was detected. An Orniacos warband had risen in Lusones (central Hispania). But instead of attacking Roman lands there, they began marching east instead – towards Illergetes, neighbouring the recently settled Roman colony of Volcae. But for now, Legio III was in no position to respond, following its defeat in Cardurci and the need to lift the siege there first.

Just four days later, Legio III welcomed its Detachment I back into the ranks in Arverni. Up to near its new full strength of 15,000, Legio III set out to smash the Orgonomesci siege of Cardurci, after which Magoid hoped to pivot to Volcae before the Orniacos could reduce its strong defences (a standard stockade with a 2,000 man garrison).

Arriving in Cadurci on 15 March (where siege progress had risen to 50%), this time Magoid had more than double the enemy’s numbers. Legio III lost 567 of its 15,000 men, while 4,873 of the 6,606 remaining Orgonomesci warriors were killed, fleeing back once more in defeat to Aquitani on 30 March.

But as that battle was won, scouts reported that the Orniacos had picked up another 5,000 recruits along the way and would arrive in Volcae on 28 April with 16,000 warriors. What had appeared a comfortable equation previously was now looking a little more dangerous.

In the East, the four new cohorts for Legio XI in Caria embarked from Argolis on 7 April – it would bring Dives’ expeditionary force up to 20,000 strong by 21 April 562. While they were in transit, an audacious foreign plot to foment rebellion in Thessaly was uncovered. It was headed by the Chief Torturer of Pontus.

“They have a Chief Torturer!?” was Barbula’s incredulous initial response.

“Alas yes, Consul,” came Humphronius’ doleful reply.

“And they’ve caught him, Consul,” interjected Bernardius excitedly. “Red handed!”

“Really?” said Barbula, a small smile forming on his lips. “What are the options?”

“The Fetial Priests say we can let him go, put him in irons – he is 77 years old and would presumably not last much longer anyway – or, ah, actively render him into a state one might ostensibly describe as having shuffled off the mortal coil and travelled to the afterlife to sing with the Choir Invisible, Consul,” was Humphronius obscure reply.

“You mean, lop his head off?”

“Ah, yes, Consul, though it would disturb both domestic and foreign opinion to make such a tyrannical and bloodthirsty demonstration.”

“I like bloodthirsty, Humphronius,” said a grinning Barbula, extending the dreaded turned thumb. “This Timoleon Omirid can try singing in that choir without a head! Send it back in a box of ice to the Basileus of Pontus, with my regards.”

7Qc1iv.jpg

Bernardius went white in the face and Humphronius mumbled a quiet “Yes, Consul,” before beating a hasty retreat. Populists, he though to himself derisively.

When the Orniacos arrived in Volcae on 28 April, their charismatic but militarily incompetent leader began an assault of the walls. Magoid was on his way, hoping the garrison would beat off this initial attack before he arrived to crush the exhausted barbarians, trusting Cadurci could hold out against a later eventual return of the Orgonomesci from Aquitani.

ffgI9h.jpg

But things did not work out that way. The barbarian assault on Volcae’s walls eventually succeeded just two weeks before Legio III was due to arrive. And – repeating previous such disasters when barbarians sacked colonies that were not yet full provinces – the whole Roman settlement was destroyed. A nasty setback to the drive to settle Hispania from the north as well.

The barbarians, their numbers swelled a little more from local recruits, then tried to make for Ruteni, but would not escape before a vengeful Magoid arrived on 30 May. In six days of fighting, he lost just 71 of his 14,981 legionaries, while the Orniacos had 4,229 of their 17,223 warriors killed, before fleeing south-west to Bassetani.

§§§§§§§

1 Jul 562 – 31 May 563

The wave of barbarian activity in the West continued, with a large rising by the Autrigoni in Saguntum breaking out on 8 July – making Consul Barbula even more unpopular than he already was. This caused A.C. Caudex to break off his provocation in Vettones and march to rendezvous with the rest of Legio X in Carpetani. Once more, they would hope an incompetent barbarian warband leader would not be able to overcome the Roman garrison before it could be relieved.

93mv3F.jpg

Less than a week later, on 14 July, Magoid was back in Cadurci, where the last Orgonomesci stragglers were lurking, having returned while Legio III was in doomed Volcae. The last 1,493 tribesmen put up a stiff fight, but were wiped out by 26 July, after taking another 354 of Magoid’s 14,160 troops with them to the underworld. While that was happening, Sequani finally adopted Roman culture and was therefore incorporated as a full province of the Roman Republic on 20 July.

Perhaps that was a sign from the Gods that they were once again willing to turn a favourable eye on Rome: this year’s invocation of Minerva was successful. Happy chickens, happy Pontifex, happy Republic!

0O5err.jpg

Soon after, there was more good news: despite being under siege from barbarians, Saguntum accepted Roman culture and became a full province on 31 July. At least now, should the worst happen and their walls fell, the province should survive any sacking.

Legio X was reunited in Carpetani on 29 August and Caudex set forth with 13,000 men to relieve Saguntum, via an approach through Belli. There, an earlier assault had reduced the garrison to 1,166 men but the town had stood strong. As a result, enemy numbers and morale had been damaged and they continued to suffer attrition.

The cultural conversion of the West continued on 3 September, with Helvetii being the next to adopt Roman culture. In southern Gaul, the bothersome Orniacos tribe had returned via Volcae to Ruteni, but had soon been met by Legio III, who caught them while they were in the process of assaulting the town walls! Magoid’s attack was fierce, catching the incompetent barbarian general Caros Tautalid (Martial 0) in the worst possible position. From 7 to 12 October, Legio III suffered 162 casualties out of 15,000 men, while 6,734 of the 12,222 Orniacos warriors were slain.

Later that month, Santones became available for colonisation and the other Legio III detachment, under G.C. Scipio, was sent to try to sweep it clear of local barbarians.

HIMxI5.jpg

Caudex attacked the Autrigoni in Saguntum on 20 November, sending the enemy running after five days (246/15,000 Roman and 1,736/12,322 barbarian casualties). Legio X would remain in place for what would be a succession of barbarian return sorties in coming months.

But none of the subsequent battles would be fought under the overall stewardship of the Populist Consul L.A. Barbula. His discredited administration was swept out of power on 2 December 562, replaced by none other than G.F. Licinus, accomplished commander of Legio IV and leader of the Military faction.

5ipNO5.jpg

The positive effect on the morale and organisation of the legions was immediate. So too on the discipline of the backbone of the Roman legions, the principes, when his first act as Consul was to restore the national idea of professional soldiering.

rLVBtY.jpg

This was just as well, given yet another rising – this time by 28,000 malcontents in Epirus – broke out on the day of his election. Two legions (both well-armed and -led) were directed to close on the rebels from both the north and south. Whichever was first to arrive would have the honour of slaughtering the rebellious upstarts.

LUgYCi.jpg

The now thoroughly motivated Roman troops of Legio III in Ruteni were more than ready when the remnants of the Orniacos warband arrived for a final showdown on 26 December 562. All 5,208 of them were dead by 30 December, for only seven Romans lost. This ended the ‘twin invasions’ of southern Gaul that had done so much damage since the Orgonomesci had first risen in Ruteni almost two years before, in January 561.

§§§§§§§

The new year began with yet more news of discontent in the far provinces. Bernardius brought news of a local rising in Cantabri on 1 January 563, even as Legio X was occupied in Saguntum as they awaited the return of the Autrigoni and therefore unable to respond as yet. Once more, the barbarians had picked up reinforcements as they marched back from Sedetani, attacking vigorously with almost as many men as the Romans on 15 January. The fight was therefore bloodier and less conclusive than it might have been, the barbarians fleeing on 25 January with over 10,000 warriors still under arms.

tnfU3L.jpg

The brilliant T.A. Barbula was first to arrive in Epirus with Legio I, also on 25 January. A vicious ten-day fight ensued, and though the rebels were mown down like wheat at harvest time, over 2,400 Romans died achieving the victory and subsequent dispersal of the rebellion.

WjANrd.jpg

The next battle in Saguntum took place from 8 to 16 March: another Roman victory resulted (630/14,957 Roman v 3,156/10,367 barbarian casualties), but a substantial number of the Autrigoni would return yet again in a few months’ time. The rebel siege of Cantabri had by then progressed somewhat (to 13%). When the Third Battle of Saguntum was fought and won by 8 May (184/14,859 Roman v 1,604/7,021 barbarian casualties), the siege of Cantabri was gaining further ground (50%).

As May 563 came to a close, the situation in Gaul was calmer than it had been in the two previous years, but was still unsettled in Hispania. Two new colonies had been founded, but one had been lost.

uiByDw.jpg

Battles and territorial changes in the West, May 559 to May 563 AUC.

The East had only seen a few barbarian incursions and revolts, with no wars reported between any countries in the last four years.

HRhe9N.jpg

Battles in the East, May 559 to May 563 AUC.

A report from the Fetial Priests showed the estimated comparative power of the top countries of the known world by manpower reserves, income and research capacity. Rome led in the first two by a considerable margin, but was third behind the Seleucids and Egypt in research, even with a favourable omen in force.

1IMcpo.jpg

§§§§§§§

Over the last four years, the Roman army had grown from 188 out of a ‘troop support limit’ of 316 to 205/322 cohorts. The naval expansion program had seen it grow from 115 to 129 ships in strength, from construction and one or two triremes captured from pirates (I’m not bothering to report them any more, same with most building construction events). Despite recruiting and battle casualties, reserve manpower had grown from 125,000 to 193,000.

The treasury had just under 2,946 gold talents saved, with monthly net income after expenses of 28.38 gold. Should war in the East again come into the equation, another mass auxiliary hiring program could be contemplated, allowing a large and relatively rapid build-up without eating into the growing manpower reserve – which would be needed to support another large war.

The next consular election was (barring unforeseen circumstances) still well over a year away (December 564). The last four consulships had seen the top office switching back and forth between Populists and Militarists. Enough to make Humphronius and Bernardius shake their heads with weary sorrow.

aKLd5x.jpg

The Senate remained roughly similar in composition since the last review, with the Civic faction now shrunk to a very small cadre, the Populists still dominant but the Religious faction also strong and having the leading candidate for the next consulship.

cLgxky.jpg

§§§§§§§

Finis

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Nice buildup to an eventual war, even though the populist rule was a setback, it's going better than before and having the new rich Greek provinces show its difference manpower-wise. Good update!

His administrative finesse was mediocre and he was only mildly charismatic, while his non-existent military abilities would provide no bonus for the morale of the troops. This was compounded by his immediate ‘traditional’ populist repeal of professional soldiering further lowered the discipline of the principes (by 10%).
:eek: such a loser!

But things did not work out that way. The barbarian assault on Volcae’s walls eventually succeeded just two weeks before Legio III was due to arrive. And – repeating previous such disasters when barbarians sacked colonies that were not yet full provinces – the whole Roman settlement was destroyed. A nasty setback to the drive to settle Hispania from the north as well.
I hate it when this happens

But none of the subsequent battles would be fought under the overall stewardship of the Populist Consul L.A. Barbula. His discredited administration was swept out of power on 2 December 562, replaced by none other than G.F. Licinus, accomplished commander of Legio IV and leader of the Military faction.
finally!

As May 563 came to a close, the situation in Gaul was calmer than it had been in the two previous years, but was still unsettled in Hispania. Two new colonies had been founded, but one had been lost.
we could've been very close to making Rome contiguous again if not for the revolting barbarians destroying the colony, but we're still not very far from it

• 1Like
Reactions:

Humphronius and Bernardius simply shared a glum and apprehensive look as they prepared to brief the incoming Consul on the issues of the day.

“Oh dear,” was all Bernardius could muster.

“Quite,” was the simple response, as Humphronius braced himself for the task at hand. “The Republic will survive … I hope.”

“We must expand the reach of the Republic,” announced Barbula grandly as they entered. “I have noticed Vettones in Hispania is now available for colonisation. Settling it will link our holdings on the peninsula and shut off further Egyptian expansion there. Send troops there at once to clear out any barbarian rabble.”
The classic populist move - weaken the Legions then demand they go off and do things. Barbula did indeed live down to my lowest expectations.

Bernardius brought news of a local rising
At least he is doing so in a calm manner these days, but then there are so many revolts I suppose if he hadn't calmed down he was going to go mad. And madness is the job of Consuls, not the mere humble vessels of the civil service. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
With so many populists in the government, is there an enhanced likelihood that we suffer from a civil war?

• 1Like
Reactions:
With so many populists in the government, is there an enhanced likelihood that we suffer from a civil war?
Quick answer: I don’t think so. That tends to arise from disloyal generals or governors, which the game warns you about and you can take measures to placate or remove them. Only if that fails and they cross the metaphorical Rubicon does a civil war arise, I think. Populists are a pain, but not a fatal one - I hope! (This being my first game of this franchise in many years)

Reactions:
So many barbarians...

Barbula - a name with a long and not always great history :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Pontus has a Chief Torturer?

Also, populist rule was a disaster! Hopefully, the Roman people learn from this mistake and refuse to elect populist Consuls...

• 3Like
Reactions:
Finally caught up with this! As ever I love how you can make even the relatively 'peaceful' periods interesting with barbarian troubles and foreign espionage (by a Chief Torturer no less!) :)

I note how the lack of success the Populists have has individual leaders never seems to them much harm.

• 2Like
Reactions:
To my loyal readership: yes, the AAR is still alive and kicking, it's just that other projects, RL and the cricket season have slowed down the update rate. But a big session has been played through and the first instalment of its write-up is well under way. I'll see if I can get it out before Saturnalia! ;)

For now, some feedback to comments not previously replied to:
Nice buildup to an eventual war, even though the populist rule was a setback, it's going better than before and having the new rich Greek provinces show its difference manpower-wise. Good update!

:eek: such a loser!

I hate it when this happens

finally!

we could've been very close to making Rome contiguous again if not for the revolting barbarians destroying the colony, but we're still not very far from it
Many thanks. Will see what the next episode brings re possible war or continued peace and colonisation. The work to make Rome contiguous will continue until it finally succeeds and we can remove these 'internal borders'.
The classic populist move - weaken the Legions then demand they go off and do things. Barbula did indeed live down to my lowest expectations.

At least he is doing so in a calm manner these days, but then there are so many revolts I suppose if he hadn't calmed down he was going to go mad. And madness is the job of Consuls, not the mere humble vessels of the civil service. ;)
The cursed Populists never fail to disappoint! If not for Humphronius and Bernardius keeping the gears of government well oiled, such periods would be even more chaotic and disruptive.

Can't have Bernardius being put on gardening leave! :eek: As his current incarnation matures, he naturally develops more of a façade of calm, at least.
Chief Torturer gets his head removed. Somehow, I don't feel bad about this at all.
I thought it fitting - an infiltrator and a torturer: his body did not deserve such a pernicious head to remain attached! :D I felt compelled to do it for RP purposes.
So many barbarians...

Barbula - a name with a long and not always great history :D
They are always a scourge, if not an existential threat, then able to cause problems, cost soldiers lives and occasionally destroy a colony before it can achieve full provincial status. The Barbulas are an interesting family in this ATL: they are a mix the good, the bad and the ugly!
Pontus has a Chief Torturer?

Also, populist rule was a disaster! Hopefully, the Roman people learn from this mistake and refuse to elect populist Consuls...
Yes, great isn't it? I loved it when I saw that. We will run into more of them in the future. It seems the occasional tribulation of Populist rule is unavoidable, but hopefully can be minimised and mitigated when it does arise.
Finally caught up with this! As ever I love how you can make even the relatively 'peaceful' periods interesting with barbarian troubles and foreign espionage (by a Chief Torturer no less!) :)

I note how the lack of success the Populists have has individual leaders never seems to them much harm.
Glad you have! It should be easier to keep up to date now that the episodes are a bit more spread out. 'Peace' is never really that peaceful, whether its Roman colonisation, barbarian invasions, pesky rebels, internal assassinations/vendettas or Populist intrigues. And Chief Torturers? A wonderful game feature for narrative purposes.

Populists seem ever thus - though in Rome, they don't have captive media outlets, Twitter or the modern state apparatus to keep them in power. Though there are plenty of old-fashioned equivalents available to the Patrician families, general Senatorial classes and Consuls!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter LXXXVIII: A Courageous Plan (31 May 563 AUC/191 BC to 31 December 564 AUC/190 BC)
Chapter LXXXVIII: A Courageous Plan
(31 May 563 AUC/191 BC to 31 December 564 AUC/190 BC)

jOZpVa.jpg

Foreword. General peace has continued for the Romans for some years now, as the spring of 563 AUC heads towards summer. Consuls come and go, but Humphronius and Bernardius keep on keeping on, working behind the scenes to keep the gears of government almost as well greased as the politicians' greasy pole (otherwise known as the cursus honorum). Action at the moment is focused on the restive tribes of Hispania.

§§§§§§§

Part I: 31 May 563 – 31 December 564 – the West

On 31 May 563, 5,000 rebels were besieging Cantabri [50% progress] while 19 regiments (now depleted by previous battles) of Autrigoni tribesmen are marching from Sedetani for another crack at Roman Saguntum, where Appius Claudius Caudex awaits with Legio X (15 cohorts). The threat of this large barbarian invasion has been preventing the relief of Cantabri. A Roman detachment is in Santones (south-western Gaul) provoking the local tribesmen, so the province can be colonised.

With the situation in Cantabri worsening by 7 June, Legio III ‘Nova’ (Hiram Magoid) was sent across from southern Gaul, but would have to traverse barbarian territory in Aquitani and Vascones before it could relieve the beleaguered garrison. Would they make it in time?

The Autrigoni are beaten in Saguntum in a short battle on 28 June (505 Roman v 1,275 barbarian casualties). The next battle lasts from 15-27 August (263 Roman v 2,497 barbarian casualties) and the final instalment comes on 13 October, with no Roman casualties and the last 1,335 Autrigoni wiped out.

But to the north, Cantabri had fallen to the rebels a few weeks before, on 29 September – just ten days before Legio III could save it. That avenging battle took only two days, ending on 14 October (62 Roman v 5,000 rebel casualties) - just as the Autrigoni were being wiped out in Saguntum. Magoid immediately assaulted the small rebel garrison of 200 men, taking the town back on 17 October.

§§§§§§§

On Legio III’s march back to Gaul, another (separate) band of Autrigoni was foolish enough to rise in Vascones as the Romans passed through. All 7,000 were killed between 3-6 January 564, for only 121 Romans lost. Legio X had made its way west to Carpetani by then, where a detachment of six cohorts was sent north to Vettones, which would also become available for colonisation if the local barbarians were flushed out. They arrived there a month later and waited for the tribesmen to take the bait.

But the next action came in Gaul, where yet another Autrigoni tribe rose in Santones against the five Roman cohorts there. Gnaeus Cornelius Scipio was in charge and dealt with the 4,000 warriors ruthlessly: all were killed in a one-sided battle from 2-5 May, where on 29 Romans were lost wiping out all 4,000 of the hapless Autrigoni warriors. Roman colonists were soon on their way and would duly establish Roman occupation on 3 September.

Soon afterwards, the Vadiniensi attacked the Roman detachment in Vettones, where Bodashtart Chelbesid had the Roman command. Despite being badly ambushed on 1 June [Rome 1 v 5 + 0.5 Barbarian], Chelbesid prevailed by 17 June, losing 720 of his 6,000 men, while the Vadiniensi lost 1,302 of their 4,000 warriors. Settlers were called for as soon as the barbarians left the province and would establish the new colony on 12 November. By then, the Vadiniensi had been defeated again, wiped out on 28 July, 75 Romans dying but all 2,698 of the barbarian warriors killed.

The Gallic frontier had been quiet for many months, but in mid-July it erupted. A barbarian revolt in Turones on 15 July saw 5,000 Allobroges warriors in the field; meanwhile, another 11,000 man Chauci raiding party was spotted in Chatti, which would join them in Turones on 29 July. Legio XII (15 cohorts, D.C. Maximus) was despatched from Histri on a long march to take them on.

But by 17 August, a 22 regiment Massilian army was in Gallia Cisalpina and heading north, apparently to tackle the barbarians themselves: very helpful indeed. The same day, the Gallic province of Bituriges became fully Roman in culture and religion. The Massilians took on all 16 barbarian regiments from 5-10 October and defeated them.

Finally, on 12 November (as the colony in Vettones was completed), settlers were sent to Sedetani in Hispania, which had also just become available for colonisation: it would be completed in March the following year.

eApzSM.jpg

Campaigns in the West, May 563 to December 564 AUC. Base map shows starting positions.

§§§§§§§

Part II: 10 March – 31 December 564 – the East

The east was very quiet through until March 564 – when sealed orders were delivered to the legions stationed there. They were brought personally to Paeonia on 10 March 564 by Bernardius with an escort of 100 equites, such was their importance. He had been accompanying Consul Gaius Fabius Licinus (of the Martial faction), currently commanding Legio IV in Scordisci, on the Danube frontier.

“What do we have here, Lanatus?” asked Servius Caecilius Metellus, commanding Legio II in Paeonia, as he broke the seal on the orders.

“Consul Licinus has been a little, shall we say, restless these last months, General,” replied a tactful Bernardius. Humphronius wasn’t nearly so restrained in private when he found out. “My understanding is these orders represent something of a, um, call to action.”

And indeed they did. Peace was boring. Peace was for the meek. There would be no peace again for years, only blood and glory: Metellus was ordered to invade Macedon forthwith. A declaration of war had been sent on to Macedonia. All other legions stationed in the east were on alert to respond to the expected intervention of Pontus and the Seleucids to aid their allies.

Calls to arms had been sent to Egypt and Massilia, who were both deemed ‘very likely’ to agree by the Fetial priests, which they both did the next day. By 19 March, Pontus and the Seleucid Empire had joined the war. What would later became known as the Seleucid War had begun. It would see hundreds of thousands of lives lost in the coming years.

On land, by 19 March Legio II was already on its way to Macedonia, while Legio V made for Sparta; Legio I delayed its departure from Aetolia until 28 March, to coordinate its arrival to challenge the Seleucid 5th Stratos simultaneously with Legio V. Classis II (36 ships) occupied the Propontis to keep the crossing from Bithynia to Thracia blockaded from any Pontic attack.

JfHSPU.jpg

Classis IV (Arvivargus Vodenosid) – the main Roman fleet, with 71 ships – set sail from Argolis on 19 March to ambush 14 Macedonian ships that had been spotted in Mare Aegeum.

On 28 March, Legio VIII (no current commander) was split into two equal detachments of five cohorts, one heading to Piephigi and the other to Tomis for siege action against the two remaining Pontic holdings on the Danube. At sea, the Egyptians reported a Seleucid fleet of 74 ships had set sail from Syria, heading west past Cyprus.

The first battle of the war was fought in Macedonia (4 to 10 April) – a straightforward win for Metellus (Rome 1,053/22,000 killed; Macedon 1,759/14,000 killed). The Macedonian commander – and former Archon – Ptolemy Ptolemy was captured and imprisoned. The Macedonian army retreated towards Maedi, but Legio II stayed put to besiege the enemy capital. Consul Licinus took Legio IV (only eight cohorts) from the frontier for a long march to intercept them – hoping no barbarian invasions would occur while he was gone. Bernardius was a reluctant follower in the baggage train.

At the same time, Classis IV caught to Macedonian fleet in Mare Aegeum and sank four galleys before the rest escaped on 10 April. Vodenosid took his ships back to port in Argolis, rather than challenge the Seleucids yet on the high seas.

The next development was a large but brief battle in Sparta from 14-18 April, where 44,000 Roman troops (Legios I and V) under T.A. Barbula easily defeated 36,000 Seleucid troops (685 Romans; 3,691 Seleucids killed). A promising start. The two legions were reorganised: Barbula took the bulk (35 cohorts) in Legio I to pursue the Seleucid 5th Stratos to Achaea, while the other nine cohorts stayed with Legio V (M.C. Dentatus) to besiege Sparta.

With large armies on the move in Asia Minor on 19 April (40 Seleucid regiments heading towards Egyptian Lycia and 40 Pontic regiments moving south from Bithynia), Legio XI (A.I. Dives, 20 cohorts) was ordered north from Caria to safety, where an Egyptian army was already besieging Lydia. From there, Legio XI would eventually be sent on to the vacated Bithynia. A Pontic fleet of 40 ships was heading for the Propontis (guarded by Classis II, 36 ships); in response Classis IV – then in Mare Aegeum – went to reinforce them. It had the desired effect of scaring off the Pontic 2nd Nautikon – for now, anyway.

The pursuit of the Seleucid 5th Stratos by Legio I continued with a battle in Achaea from 6-12 May (Rome 2,830/33,437; Seleucids 5,278/29,609 killed). The hunt would continue next in Aetolia.

By 21 May, a large naval battle between the Egyptians (41 ships) and Seleucids (72 ships) was taking place in Mare Carpathicum. On 31 May, Classis IV (71 ships) had ambushed another Macedonian fleet in Mare Aegeum as they sailed south – to help the Egyptians. Four more Macedonian galleys were sunk and another captured. Classis III (S.C. Centho, 25 ships) was ordered out from Argolis to rendezvous in Mare Myrtoum, after which they would sail together to attack the Seleucid fleet still battling the Egyptians.

Legio I and the Seleucid 5th Stratos met next in Aetolia from 1-5 June, the Seleucids once more fleeing as soon as they could (Rome 570/30,607; Seleucids 1,280/24,331 killed). Barbula’s aim was to chase them until all the enemy were eradicated. Up north, the Macedonian army had arrived in Maedi to begin a siege there – whose relief would take time.

On 15 June, the Roman Grand Fleet (Classis III and IV, 97 ships) had linked up in Mare Myrtoum and would arrive in Mare Carpathicum on 27 June: but the Egyptians had lost 15 ships by then and the whole battle the next day. Even so, the Romans sailed on, hoping to catch a weakened and outnumbered Seleucid fleet – important, as past engagements seemed to indicate they were qualitatively better ship-for-ship [higher tech] and in commanders than the Romans.

The great naval battle of Mare Carpathicum began on 27 June – just before the Seleucid fleet could escape. As usual, the Seleucids had a top notch admiral in charge, who would give them a tactical edge throughout. But Vodenosid started well enough. He made even greater inroads from 8 July with a great tactical manoeuvre. By 12 July things had evened up again, but the Seleucids had started to lose a few ships. However, as often happened, the winds switched again on 22 July, when Seleucid Admiral Polyperchon Arid had the luck with him – by which time he had lost 11 ships and the Romans had lost one.

BHffmH.jpg

As the epic naval battle continued, much was in motion on land. On 28 June the Pontic 1st Stratos had appeared in the north and had forced the Roman detachment in Piephigi to flee to Tomis, while Legio VI (the famous Aulus Claudius Caudex, [Martial 9]) was sent up to deal with them. The Seleucid 5th Stratos was being chased to Epirus, the Pontic fleet had reappeared and forced Classis II back to port from the Propontis. And Legio IV was still some way off relieving Maedi from its Macedonian besiegers. The Seleucids were investing Egypt’s Caria and Lycia and had another army on the way, while Egypt still besieged Lydia. Other Roman sieges continued in Macedonia, Sparta, Tomis and Bithynia.

lFA3Cc.jpg

Into this already complex situation, Colchis then decided it would take advantage of Seleucid distraction and declared war on their old enemy.

7fFxiv.jpg

In Graecia, the pursuit of the Seleucids continued into Epirus, where T.A. Barbula beat them decisively again from 14-18 July (Rome 397/32,638; Seleucids 4,971/19,451 killed). Up in the north, Legio VIII was reunited in Tomis on 18 July, the detachment from Piephigi escaping just ahead of the advancing Pontic army.

In Asia Minor, the Pontic 2nd Stratos (40 regiments) was spotted heading back to Phrygia from the south-east on 25 July, causing Legio XI (20 cohorts, I.A. Dives) to once again abandon the siege of Bithynia and flee back to safety across the Propontis.

Meanwhile, the great naval battle in Mare Capithicum ended on 25 July. The Seleucid fightback on 22 July had seen the Roman toll of lost ships rise to four and more likely to sink, while the large Pontic fleet and a few Macedonian ships were also heading towards the battle from the north-west. Vodenosid cut his losses and withdrew south, unfortunately seeing two damaged ships taken as prizes by the enemy. Despite having to retreat, overall it had been a tactical victory.

OGsxqv.jpg

By mid-August, in the south the Egyptians had lost Damascus to the Seleucids, who still outnumbered them on the front lines there and in Asia Minor, even while many Egyptian reinforcements slowly marched across North Africa from various points in the west.

Barbula caught up once more with the Seleucids on 24 August and ended their long flight from Sparta the next day in a crushing victory that saw the rest of the 5th Stratos completely destroyed (Rome 522/34,172; Seleucids 12,680 killed).

As the main Roman fleet (91 ships, many damaged) headed to port after skirting around to the south of Crete, they encountered the combined Pontic-Macedonian fleet of 40 ships in Sinus Messeniacus on 28 August and gave battle [the enemy with a +1 die roll commander advantage]. The fighting swung from the advantage of one side to the other up until 11 September [Rome +2, even, Rome +3, then enemy +3] by which point Rome had lost one ship and the enemy none. With sea attrition also mounting after a long voyage, Vodenosid broke contact and headed to conduct repairs in Argolis.

The Seleucids took Caria from Egypt on 5 September and would later take neighbouring Lycia on 5 December, to complete the occupation of Egypt’s holdings in Asia Minor.

On the Danube, A.A. Caudex (Legio VI, 33,000 men) met a Pontic army of 11,000 men in Piephigi on 20 September: to no one’s surprise, the Pontic force was soundly beaten in five days (Rome 772/33,000; Pontus 4,153/11,000 killed) and fled north.

To the south, the Macedonian army had broken its siege of Maedi and moved to Triballi as Caudex had his victory in Piephigi. After waiting a couple of weeks, Caudex decided to hasten matters by assaulting Piephigi, which took from 6-14 October and cost 832 men to win.

As the walls of Piephigi were being stormed, Consul Licinus (Legio IV, eight cohorts) finally caught up with the Macedonian army in Triballi: though outnumbered, he attacked [a +1 die roll leadership advantage balanced out by -1 for attacking across a river]. Licinus proved his mastery [Rome +2, +6, +6 die rolls between 14-24 October] and was thereafter considered ‘Victorious’ for his bold win (Rome 493/8,000; Macedon 2,939/9,973 killed). Licinus finished the matter off with a slaughter back in Maedi on 16 November, wiping out the last of the main Macedonian force (Rome 267/8,000; Macedon 5,634 killed).

On 21 November, the effort by Colchis to gain revenge on the Seleucids came to a sad end, with them made a tributary of their old enemy.

2APcaU.jpg

There was better news on 4 December, with Sparta surrendering to Rome after a 229 day siege. Following this, offers of white peace first from Pontus (on 14 December) and the Seleucids (24 December) were rejected by Rome. Freed from the siege of Sparta, Legio V (M.C. Dentatus) was able to tackle a small and leaderless Macedonian army besieging Argolis, attacking them on 31 December [Rome net +7 die roll] and wiping all of them out by the next day (Rome 21/9,000; Macedon 3,000 killed).

As 564 AUC ended, Rome had wiped out all Seleucid and Macedonian armies operating in Graecia and had sent the Pontic army on the Danube back north badly mauled. There had been mixed result at sea, but Rome on balance had come out on top there. Egypt had seen its territory in Asia Minor occupied and reverses in the south and at sea, but reinforcements for both were steadily making their way east.

NCvjbz.jpg

Campaigns in the East, March to December 564 AUC. Base map shows starting positions.

§§§§§§§

Part III: 31 May 563 – 31 December 564 – General Events

The omen of 21 July 563 had once again been inauspicious.

d2al7b.jpg

Better news came on 2 September: army morale was improved permanently through the adoption of a ‘cult of war’.

LiLImQ.jpg

“Perhaps this means the Gods want us to vanquish our eastern enemies?” mused Consul Licinus when he received the news.

“I’m sure Master Humphronius would consider that a very courageous plan, Consul, were he here to advise you,” said Bernardius, accompanying him with Legio IV on the Danube at that time.

“Well he’s not, so do be quiet, Bernardius. I would expect such weak-kneed advice from you bureaucrats. Leave that kind of decision-making for us military types. You may leave, Bernardius.”

“Yes, Consul.”

As we have seen, in March 564 Licinus made the fateful decision to once more attack the Eastern Pact. But it seemed Minerva remained unmoved when the next omen was called. More roast chicken, but bad news for Roman research.

YyVzAq.jpg

And as the first phase of the latest eastern war drew to a close, the Consular election of 564 AUC elevated another scion of a notable patrician family to the senior magistracy: Q.F. Gurges of the Religious faction. He was something of an ‘all-rounder’, though his lesser military skills and not having a Military man in the consulship would detract from the general morale and organisation of the army.

v8kM2d.jpg

§§§§§§§

Endnote: I’ve played well ahead from this point, but have decided for conciseness and readability to end the chapter here. It means following chapters will be a little quicker to produce when I get to them. So you are welcome to speculate about what happens or what you think I should have done next, but the following six game years are played through.

Happy Saturnalia to you all!

Finis

• 1Like
Reactions: