• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Heh...the common root of many languages though. So some of it is intuitive. Female = a. Etc.

And they started mixing Ancient Greek with it and...:confused:

The Weekly AAR Showcase led me here and I'm glad it did. Wonderful start Bullfilter! :)

It has been a long time since I've played his but I still have a soft spot for the game (and period of course!) It is great to see that it still gets some love!
Brilliant to have you aboard, RossN! Yes, very useful to have a showcase so early on - and needed in this rather obscure part of the forums. Much as you, I used to play this quite a bit back in the day, but will now have to see how much I can dredge up from the memory banks.
@Bullfilter: You might want to try Imperium Universalis mod for EUIV. First Start date starts with King Servius Tullius! I started a campaign using that mod as well as a EU: Rome one.
Thanks for the tip: I don’t have EU4 yet, but will think about it in the future. Though with 3 AARs in three different games going at the moment, I have to limit my ambitions! :D Will be interesting to see what people say about Imperator when it comes out and what period range it has. Going by past efforts it will probably be expanded each direction with DLC and then modders will hop in. Should eventually be possible to do a mega campaign from Tullius through to Stellaris!
Next episode, the charge of the light elephant cavalry.
:eek: Hope it’s not the Carthaginians coming for me yet!
Heh...the common root of many languages though. So some of it is intuitive. Female = a. Etc.

And they started mixing Ancient Greek with it and...:confused:
It’s all Greek to me - boom-tish! :rolleyes:

Chapter II: Tarentum (1-28 January 474 AUC/280 BC)
Chapter II: Tarentum
(1-28 January 474 AUC/280 BC)

7JPy9G.jpg

Civis Romanus Sum

So now, after just a little more initial scene setting and preparation for the opening campaign of the ‘Pyrrhic War’, we will be into it!

But before we move on, some elaboration on my ultimate game objectives. The map below provides Rome’s expansion and influence as at 40 BC (714 AUC). If we last that long (Rome in game, or the AAR!) that will be the broad objective striven for, noting the game ends in 25 BC (727 AUC).

N789p7.jpg

§§§§§§§

Final Preparations

Consul L.A. Barbula and a number of influential Senators wished to introduce cavalry to the Roman Army at this time, but of course lacked access to sufficient quantities of horses to raise any. A quick search showed none either close by (to seize) or available for trade. This would become a longer term strategic goal, but for now would have to wait.

Before Barbula sets off for war with Magna Graecia (and then Epirus itself, eventually), let us have a look at the two unit types that currently make up the standing Roman Army and their current supply situation in Apulia (which, despite the large contingent there, is good due to it being home territory and with the influence of the consul adding to capacity).

N49Rms.jpg

The only forces that can currently be raised are Velites (light infantry/militia) and Cohors Sagittariorum (archers). Auxiliaries (essentially mercenaries) of the same can be raised in some locations: they are more expensive to buy and maintain, but do not drain national manpower reserves. We are at our maximum land force limit of 26 units (cohorts) – recruiting above that comes at extra maintenance cost. And, from memory, militia are not very useful in serious battles – so not worth it yet.

HxcAnn.jpg

We can’t build ships yet (only at 8/26 force limit) as the wood trade route to Rome is still not established. We can worry about that later. But we’ll need them – if not against Epirus, then certainly against Carthage, the premier naval power of Our Sea.

At this stage, the Republic consists of two provincial governorates. Italia (Roma and its surrounds) is automatically run by the Consul. The other (Magna Graecia – of which two provinces are those being fought over against the country of the same name, so are not yet held by Rome) is run by the Dux of Magna Graecia, Marcus Atilius Regulus. We will delve into the significance of governors later – especially when it comes to colonising nearby barbarian provinces.

iqsWSD.jpg

As he contemplates his plan of action, Barbula decides he has plenty of men to deal with Magna Graecia’s forces in Tarentum, so decides to split off a smaller force to secure Ager Bruttius. This force (the 2nd Legion) comprises six cohorts of heavy infantry and two of archers. Another aspiring legate – and one of the leading generals of Rome – Quintus Aemilius Papus, is given the command.

N4DsqD.jpg

Their orders are given, with the two legions heading off to secure both the toe and the heel of the ‘boot’ of the Italian peninsula.

r5j7IS.jpg

YI6FWK.jpg

Roman legionaries on the march, 1 January 474 AUC/280 BC.

§§§§§§§

Ambitions and Missions

The next day, the wisdom of selecting ambitious would-be legates is borne out (I had forgotten about this little bonus, which came as a pleasant surprise – perhaps some ancestral memory lurked and prompted me to do this).

kwllEm.jpg

Censor G.F. Luscinus needed all the help with finesse he could get, while Papus went from Martial 7 to 8 (10 being the maximum). Nice.

k6JSmi.jpg

Consul L.A. Barbula likewise benefitted, now Martial 7, up from 6. And the Senate had formally proclaimed a mission to conquer Magna Graecia. If completed in time, there will be a stability gain. If not (see mission expiry date in the bottom right corner), stability will be lost. We have 15 years to do it (noting all both provinces have to be incorporated and the mechanics can be incremental for seizing territory, from memory and a quick glance at the old manual).

And Magna Graecia have the equivalent task on us, by the looks of it. A just war, if ever there was one.

q4OXoJ.jpg

It is to be us or them! Death to Archon Sosiclid!

§§§§§§§

On the Move

As Rome’s legions march south, foreign news is received from the East.

WnhjOJ.jpg

Meanwhile the phalanxes of Magna Graecia have decided to try to advance into Lucania. They are now commanded by one Philon Peneid: we will soon see the quality of his troops and how good a general he is! Papus will arrive in Lucania with the 2nd well before the enemy can make it there. It will be a close run thing as to whether Barbula will catch Peneid in Tarentum before he can escape (both being due to arrive at their respective destinations on the same day).

HQWel7.jpg

More rumours of war from foreign lands, these ones a bit closer to home.

vB98MA.jpg

The 2nd arrives in Lucania on 13 January: Legate Q.A. Papus proceeds with his orders to make to Ager Bruttius and there invest its capital, Croton.

98b8M8.jpg

§§§§§§§

Battle

23 January sees Barbula catch the Greeks in Tarentum just before they can make it out. Battle is joined! Alas, Fortuna does not smile on the Consul: his (10-sided) die is cast and the roll is low (the effects last for five days between die rolls, if the battles last that long). More fortunately, Barbula has the edge in generalship over Peneid (8 v 6), who is both outnumbered and overmatched, his main infantry force being only militia, not elite hoplite heavy infantry.

9cMwtu.jpg

4WwCzH.jpg

Roman legions against Greek spearmen at the Battle of Tarentum, 23 January 474 AUC/280 BC.

Superior numbers, equipment and leadership tell the tale: the Greeks do not last until the second roll of the Gods’ die. A decisive victory. The enemy flee north to Apulia (somewhat inconvenient and a bit surprising, given that was where I came from and I thought I had then bottled up in Lucania too. And I can’t recall whether they can then start laying siege to Apulia when they get there, or how the retreat mechanic works in this game. I’ll soon find out, but am happy they can be dealt with).

aueMrJ.jpg

Rgtypa.jpg

Victoria!

Of this victory, Barbula famously proclaimed:

zdm11P.jpg

“I came. They saw. They ran away!”

OK, this is the first of my little quirks for this AAR: if I can think of one, each episode will have a made-up quote of some sort attributed to a character in the game.

PS: Also, kudos to the first who gets and proclaims the literary reference in the title of the spoiler.

Barbula ignores the fleeing Greeks and invests Tarentum (the city, capital of the province of the same name). Papus continues on to do the same to Croton. And keep an eye on Sicilia, where the Epirotes may well be lurking. Events will determine whether he is forced to turn back to deal with the enemy force fleeing northwards.

f6GOgN.jpg

I may need to send another three cohorts to Papus to decrease the attrition due to excess number in Tarentum.

§§§§§§§

Game Note: Warscore (as with CK2) plays a role in determining victory and peace conditions. What I had forgotten, though, is that it isn’t displayed in game! Or listed anywhere, even when you win a battle. Not very useful. One is meant to guess/gauge it. Below is an excerpt from the manual on Warscore.

War Score
As you war against another country, you will gain “points” which represent how well (or how badly) you are doing in that War. Battles may earn very small gains toward Warscore if you win and will detract from it if you lose. Primarily, Warscore is accumulated as you conquer enemy provinces. The amount you gain is relative to the value or worth of that province to the country that owns it.

The Warscore is most important when arranging Peace. The higher your Warscore, the more leverage you have against your enemy in making Peace on terms that are favorable to you.
Generally, when you send terms to the enemy, such as a Peace offer, you’ll want to approximate the Warscore when adding up what you will ask for (or offer, if you’re losing) in the peace negotiations. o_O

Finis

Last edited:
The war goes well. Surely only a matter of time before Magna Graecia is brought to heel.

Last edited:
Is that from Gaius Julius Caesar's Commentaries?

1066 and all that.

But before we move on, some elaboration on my ultimate game objectives. The map below provides Rome’s expansion and influence as at 40 BC (714 AUC). If we last that long (Rome in game, or the AAR!) that will be the broad objective striven for, noting the game ends in 25 BC (727 AUC).

Mm. Gaul, Iberia, Italy and the dominant power in the Sea. Potentially Greece and Anatolia as well, a a colony in North Africa. That seems doable, if unambitious.

Consul L.A. Barbula and a number of influential Senators wished to introduce cavalry to the Roman Army at this time, but of course lacked access to sufficient quantities of horses to raise any. A quick search showed none either close by (to seize) or available for trade. This would become a longer term strategic goal, but for now would have to wait.

Roman cavalry was notable for sucking dirt. They went out of their way to make sure their (peerless) infantry couldn't be flanked by other means, like building forts at the end of every day, because their cavalry was limited to scouts and (perhaps) a general's bodyguard (perhaps because certain generals could pick up quite large cavalry forces from local populations but this wasn't the norm).

I think Rome should be alright here. As we all know now, all the wealth is out East (and so are all the cool wars) but the west must be colonised if only because Carthage exists and going the long land way around might be easier than building a navy good enough to fight them directly.

The war goes well. Surely only a matter of time before Magna Graecia is brought to heel.
We presume so. But where are those cursed Epirotes?
One word: Pyrrhus.
Quite. While confident of beating them eventually, until the renowned Pyrrhus and his army are done for, we cannot rest easy.​
Is that from Gaius Julius Caesar's Commentaries?
That was the source of the quote, verily: Caesar and “Vedi. Vini. Vici.” A prestigious Grass Crown for you sir. But the misquoting of such august words, and the clue in the spoiler’s title ...
1066 and all that.
And a triumph for you, TBC. I still have an old copy on my bookshelf. :) Really, if anyone out there hasn’t heard of or read this little volume, you should. From memory, on this particular quote, it was (using what I gather is the proper pronunciation) the authors claimed Caesar took one look at the Britons, proclaimed them to be “Weedy, weenie and weaky” and soundly thrashed them accordingly. These mock or parodied quotes will be in a similar spirit. It won’t quite be zany, but this is not going to be an overly solemn piece! You could even say it might aspire to be a bit Jovial in parts! :D
Mm. Gaul, Iberia, Italy and the dominant power in the Sea. Potentially Greece and Anatolia as well, a a colony in North Africa. That seems doable, if unambitious.
It’s an historical aiming point. If we get there early, or go further by that time, then we will have exceeded it. It will be about the journey - if this was my ideal Roman game, it would simulate all the later barbarian invasions and go through to 1453. :) And it would have a Jupiter level difficulty rating and the option of supercharged barbarian invasions for when you had mastered the game!
Roman cavalry was notable for sucking dirt. They went out of their way to make sure their (peerless) infantry couldn't be flanked by other means, like building forts at the end of every day, because their cavalry was limited to scouts and (perhaps) a general's bodyguard (perhaps because certain generals could pick up quite large cavalry forces from local populations but this wasn't the norm).
We can always try to surpass their uses of it, but of course the heavy infantry of the legions will be the stalwarts of the army. We will also see what technological progress and inventions come up with too.
I think Rome should be alright here. As we all know now, all the wealth is out East (and so are all the cool wars) but the west must be colonised if only because Carthage exists and going the long land way around might be easier than building a navy good enough to fight them directly.
Let’s hope so. I suspect I will want to counter their navy in due course, as it’s the quickest way there and around Our Sea and a way to apply Roman productive power to wear them down in a naval arms race. And then we can get some nice naval battles! Something you don’t get in CK2. :cool:

Ahh, Pyrrhus is just a friendly guy from across the sea wanting to introduce Romans to his culture with a friendly get together :)

Shouldn't that be "One name:"? Does the game reflect that Pyrrhus was an absolute pill when it comes to his men?

“I came. They saw. They ran away!” :D

A fine victory for the senior consul. Magna Graecia is a rich prize and I seem to recall that at least a couple of Hellenic families join your civilisation after such a victory - it will be interesting to see if any (Romanised!) descendants of foreigners reach the high ranks!

I tend to prefer history book AARs to gameplay but this is a wonderfully clear style and you still manage to inject narrative and character into the story. i hope this gets more people interested this charming old game. :)

“I came. They saw. They ran away!” :D

A fine victory for the senior consul. Magna Graecia is a rich prize and I seem to recall that at least a couple of Hellenic families join your civilisation after such a victory - it will be interesting to see if any (Romanised!) descendants of foreigners reach the high ranks!

I tend to prefer history book AARs to gameplay but this is a wonderfully clear style and you still manage to inject narrative and character into the story. i hope this gets more people interested this charming old game. :)
Many thanks RossN. My AARs tend to take on a range of elements (gameplay, history book, narrative, comedy) mixed around together. If this wasn’t my third concurrent AAR, I’d probably embellish it a little more. But, I need to keep it short and sharp or I will do my own head in. ;)

That said, the gameplay will be portrayed as a kind of history and with historical elements to it but, unlike my other two current ones, not in that history book writing style. It will hopefully let me start powering through the game. And I’ll see how it develops along the way and will try to keep it breezy, entertaining and nice to look at, to the best of my meagre abilities. :)

From memory, on this particular quote, it was (using what I gather is the proper pronunciation) the authors claimed Caesar took one look at the Britons, proclaimed them to be “Weedy, weenie and weaky” and soundly thrashed them accordingly.

Well they were only natives at the time, you understand...

Sea battles could be interesting. Do they simulate pirates in game? Give a reason for the Roman's to have a fleet that large in a sea they completely control from the coasts?

Sea battles could be interesting. Do they simulate pirates in game? Give a reason for the Roman's to have a fleet that large in a sea they completely control from the coasts?
I can’t recall too much detail of the sea battles or whether there are pirates - there could be, but I might be thinking about Total War Rome (another game I played a bit of some years back). :eek: It would be very fitting if they did have them, given the role they played in Caesar’s development and more widely.

Sea battles can be quite important. From memory they are quite simple: but there are only triremes (which are all-purpose), but I’m pretty sure there are national and tech developments which can improve effectiveness. Will be exploring that aspect again once the war with Carthage is upon us - which it surely will be soon enough.

I can’t recall too much detail of the sea battles or whether there are pirates - there could be, but I might be thinking about Total War Rome (another game I played a bit of some years back). :eek: It would be very fitting if they did have them, given the role they played in Caesar’s development and more widely.

Sea battles can be quite important. From memory they are quite simple: but there are only triremes (which are all-purpose), but I’m pretty sure there are national and tech developments which can improve effectiveness. Will be exploring that aspect again once the war with Carthage is upon us - which it surely will be soon enough.

I coated the ocean in RTW with Q4 hulks (top level Quinqiremmes) to get rid of the fog of war as I was roleplaying as the Scippi and served basically as the bankers and navy of the Roman world, with a private empire in Africa and expanding interests in Iberia and the Middle East (basically a tradining company) that ended up allying with the Juli reds against the Brutii. By that time, the Julii had basically tutrtled up in north Italy and had as many armies as the rest of us, concentrated around Rome only. They had one northern colony in Germania, completely surrounded by the native British empire, which had curbstomped the Gauls, Germans and Spanish to become my arch rivals. The Brutii basically compeltly ignored the other two factions ighting this massive barbarism threat ecause they were busy in a forever war with Macedonia, which owned most of the east of the map that wasn't the colossal Egyptian empire (also my nemesis). When I ended up taking Britannia and Gaul at the same time as taking anatolia, the Middle East and southern Greece, then they got pissed...

The sea made the game ridiculously easy. Sea trade was by far the most valuable thing on the map and if you owned the ocean, you'd won. And as Rome you can have it be yours by around turn 25. In this game, I expect it's much the same. Trade will be important and thus Carthage is going to be important. They're wealthy and, unlike OtL, probably much more willing to expand and raise armies like an actual empire instead of a federation of merchant cities.

Do they simulate pirates in game? Give a reason for the Roman's to have a fleet that large in a sea they completely control from the coasts?
In flicking through the Senate screen where possible laws can be enacted, I came across one that mentions affecting the rate of 'pirates spawning'! So yes, there must be pirates. I'll look at those laws in a future episode (not the one I am about to post soon). And will be on the lookout for pirates in the interim!

Chapter III: Barbarians and Sieges (29 January – 15 June 474 AUC/280 BC)
Chapter III: Barbarians and Sieges
(29 January – 15 June 474 AUC/280 BC)

GCKTFl.jpg

§§§§§§§

The Naval prefect for the 1st (and only) Fleet had to be reappointed [a game save thing], so his gratitude was delayed a little. But he too gains a combat bonus from his fulfilled ambition. Not that we will be risking the fleet yet – until we see how many the Epirotes have and have probably had a chance to build a few more ships.

Zdd8yg.jpg

§§§§§§§

February 474

The trade routes have now been established (it takes about a month), which puts the economy in a better place. And removes a major cause of Populist Faction agitation - while simultaneously strengthening the Consul's Mercantile faction. But far more economic improvement is required in the future (the far more lucrative foreign trade, infrastructure, expansion etc).

l4WZzq.jpg

The siege in Tarentum drags on, but attrition seems OK for now, so we’ll leave the Consul his full 18 cohorts. Who knows when Pyrrhus may turn up? For now, an assault would be prohibitively expensive.

gN2IIC.jpg

Our question from last episode is answered: those pesky Greeks who retreated into Apulia have indeed laid siege to it. The dastards! Still, I don’t think they’ll be doing too much harm for now. We’ll continue to besiege Tarentum and Ager Bruttius in the hope of taking them, then dealing with the small Greek force later - or taking their surrender.

AflJK9.jpg

XSkMuc.jpg

Only eight days later, the first cracks appear in Tarentum. The water shortage will reduce enemy troop numbers. Progress is being made.

ofiwf8.jpg

NB: That orange circle in Ager Bruttius is enemy troops being trained. They can continue that while besieged, but they will have a torrid time when they appear – which they do outside the walls of the city.

§§§§§§§

March 474

Foreigners doing barbaric things to each other in far off lands. Quite unlike our noble Roman wars.

i3I3NE.jpg

Alas, different barbarians doing barbaric things a lot closer to home. A barbarian leader has gathered a migratory horde with 13,000 troops in Bononia – and is heading our way! Damned inconvenient of them. The good citizens of Etruria, not unreasonably, are demanding protection as they hole up behind the city's rudimentary stockade (1,000 garrison).

HpYg6R.jpg

An anxious crowd gathers in the Forum in Roma, demanding to know what the Consuls will do about this turn of events. They fear the barbarians may come to sack the great city next, with the army all far off to the south.

The answer is swift, even if the remedy will take some time to come to fruition. Legate Q.A. Papus and his 2nd Legion are summoned to Roma, breaking the siege of Ager Bruttius, which will have to be dealt with later.

OYWA24.jpg

And recruiting action is undertaken – Papus’ 8,000 men may not be enough for a comfortable victory, even against those lightly armed Namnetes. This will put us over our Army force limit, so will be a little expensive, but with the trade routes going the economy can afford it. Manpower is sitting at well over 76,000, so the 4,000 men required are hardly a problem. And cheaper than hiring auxiliaries (ie. mercenaries).

LqjcEw.jpg

Note Roma can now construct Principes (Iron) and Archers (wood) due to the previously established trade routes. If we looked at the naval screen, we’d see they can build fleets now too. But you can only build one unit at a time.

As the 2nd Legion headed north, they ran into those Greek hypaspists (militia/LI) we saw training before. The battle screen never even appeared: they were vaporised by Papus in a short skirmish. But more no doubt will soon be under training: Magna Graecia has no choice but to try – we must leave them to that for now. It will surely avail them nothing.

pI0mPw.jpg

A little later, the first sighting of the Epirotes was made: a fleet in Mare Hadriaticum that could be carrying an army of up to 11,000 soldiers. They will be kept under observation, but our own fleet is too small to intervene for now, so will remain safely in Roma.

xHwIvd.jpg

xk3Ns3.jpg

The Epirote fleet off Tarentum, which arrived on 19 March 474 AUC/280 BC. Their intentions remain unknown and there is no word on whether they are carrying an army.

Averus Sinatid and his horde arrived outside Etruria on 29 March. Rather than sitting down for a leisurely siege, they seek to use their numbers (effectively 10-1, as the cavalry don’t count to siege strength) to storm the city.

lQj8Q5.jpg

Meanwhile, in Tarentum the water shortage is telling on the enemy. Consul Barbula assesses they will soon be ripe for the picking.

jeR3S4.jpg

§§§§§§§

April 474

The assault on Etruria played out over a week of desperate fighting on the city’s modest walls. The defenders suffer heavy casualties, but their morale remains high. The barbarians however lose the will to continue – after storming the walls again and again, they break off on 4 April, just as it was feared the last of the defenders would be killed. A close-run thing! Etruria is saved from a sacking – for now.

dapWw6.jpg

u8f4eA.jpg

To the walls, men! We must not let these barbarian scum defile our women, sack our temples and steal our treasure!”

So, the situation as at 4 April sees the barbarians (the Namnetes tribe) holding and recuperating in Etruria. The first two new cohorts of velites have arrived and will now muster in Roma, awaiting Papus and the 2nd Legion, who are still making their way out of Ager Bruttius. The siege of Tarentum goes on, and the Epirote fleet remains anchored in the Mare Hadriaticum, while those stragglers from Magna Graecia continue to besiege Apulia. There are quite a few moving parts at the moment!

80W9l3.jpg

CrMtLv.jpg

At this point, Legate Q.A. Papus, infamous for his brash, assertive and self-promoting manner, sends a grandiose declaration to be read out in the Senate: “This barbarian’s beginning will become Bononia’s end.” We shall see.

An unidentified heckler’s voice from the back benches was heard to note in reply that “Up every wannabe Dictator’s arse can be found his own head!” Fortunately for that Senator, Papus’ friends in the Military Faction never found out who it was.

Original quote: “Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.” Seneca the Elder or Marcus Annaeus Seneca (54 BC – 39 AD)

On 13 April, reports of another 1,000 hypaspists being trained in Ager Bruttius is received: they would be ready by 28 April – but by then Papus would be in Lucania. Nothing to be done about it for now – they will hardly be decisive. The two new velites cohorts have caused a 16.8% ‘surcharge’ on base troop maintenance costs, putting a dent in state income.

Those two new cohorts arrive in Roma on 23 April – providing a modicum of relief for the anxious crowds, with Papus now in Lucania, but still some time away. The same day, Papus picks up the newly trained cohort of archers from Lucania as he passes through. A week later, the Greek light infantry have finished training in Ager Bruttius and start heading towards Apulia, to join their countrymen there. Let them: their goose will be cooked later.

§§§§§§§

May 474

This latest foreign news is a bit closer and more serious than the last. While we would be happy to see Carthage lose a bit of bark to the Numidians, it is more likely to end in more power going to Carthage. And depending on their war goals, it could make Numidia a supplicant state. This will bear watching. But at this stage, Rome is in no position to intervene, even if it desired to do so. Hands are full.

Jb8Xmp.jpg

The new cohort of principes (HI) ordered is completed, in Roma, on 12 May. Two weeks later, the walls of Tarentum are breached: the end is near for the Greeks! But Barbula does not yet order the assault [I couln’t recall whether the defences would be further degraded or indeed surrender by waiting longer, or not, so let it run a little longer to see].

BjesEg.jpg

Perhaps this lack of imagination was picked up by the people of Rome. Or not. As the screenshot says: “No idea!” But this isn’t useful. At all.

sbbgoo.jpg

§§§§§§§

June 474

On 4 June, spies report another 1,000 hypaspists will be fielded in Ager Bruttius in one week. The previous lot are in Lucania, on their way to Apulia, while the 2nd Legion of Papus is now in Campania on its way to Roma. Where they duly arrive on 7 June: they integrate the new reinforcements into the 2nd Legion, which is now 12,000 strong. And Papus must now make good on his bold (arrogant?) promise to defeat the barbarians investing Etruria, which (to be fair) he seeks to do immediately. The morale of the barbarian Namnetes has recovered somewhat, but they will be hard hit by disciplined Roman legionaries under a skilled general. Papus is due to arrive on 4 July.

zS3fRN.jpg

As Papus heads to Etruria, Barbula runs out of patience with the siege of Tarentum and orders the assault on 10 June. He had also noticed the Epirote fleet previous lurking offshore had departed – to parts unknown. The enemy are soon in trouble.

0KbLXc.jpg
After five days, the remaining enemy troops surrender. Victoria! The entire province of Tarentum is now under Roman occupation.

XWdFre.jpg
With his legion fewer than 300 men below full strength, Barbula immediately heads back to Apulia to teach those impudent Greeks a lesson. The map below shows the original six units still there (4 x hypaspists/ militia/ LI and 2 x archers) and two more detachments of militia on the march in Lucania and Ager Bruttius. They don’t stand a chance – of that, Barbula is certain.

C4rdvk.jpg

We round out this report with another look at the finances. The economy is still in surplus, though gold reserves are now down to 19 after the purchase of the new units. We earn 1.87 per month – reduced due to the premium we must pay for those extra units above the force limit. Manpower remains strong and stability positive [The aim is always to get stability to +3 and then keep it there. And really, if you want to upgrade to a new National Idea later, that costs 3 stability: you don’t want to do that from less than +3.]

CImctl.jpg

§§§§§§§

Missions and Decisions

So, with Tarentum captured, let’s revisit the Magna Graecia mission. I never actually checked or showed the conditions for it (just assumed I’d have to conquer both provinces). Ah, OK, I do need to ‘control’ both – and occupying Tarentum now satisfied that specific criterion. What I can’t recall (but will hopefully find out) is whether controlling both in and Ager Bruttius may not be enough: perhaps Magna Graecia will also have to surrender to terms so they also “don’t exist” anymore (ie be fully conquered/annexed).

And separately, the Senate has advised a new decision (my first) has become available: it seems, due to current political circumstances, for a sacrifice of 2 stability [which would send us to -1, so that’s off the table as far as I’m concerned at the moment], we could change from a Military to an Oligarchic Republic. The condition of the Mercantile Faction being ‘dominant’ isn’t strictly defined by mouseover, but I think it must relate to the amount of “political attraction”, where the Consul’s Mercantile Faction is clearly the highest [see the slide below this one].

umIeWZ.jpg

KIKUkq.jpg

You would do this if you wanted to broaden the range of National Ideas available – in this case, losing one of the two ‘default’ Military Idea slots and replacing it with an Economic one. I think you’d want both high stability and good money in the treasury, so you could sacrifice afterwards to rebuild stability [as changing ideas would cost you another 3 stability]. But you could work up to it as a longer term objective, especially if you wanted to change the direction of your Government from the current approach.

§§§§§§§

Warscores and Peace

I then thought I’d explore the diplomatic situation with Magna Graecia - noting they are part of an alliance with Epirus, who leads the coalition [after saving in case I hit the wrong button!] And look what I found after drilling through the diplomatic options available for Magna Graecia: the warscore! I’d completely forgotten about this – my apologies to the game for dissing it last episode. And the diplomatic options are actually pretty flexible. In seeking a peace treaty, you can nominate to take what provinces they offer (clearly not necessarily the ones you have conquered, as Tarentum would be their capital) and also ask for any amount of tribute you may care to demand as part of the settlement.

As you will see further below, the ‘value’ of the offer is then calculated and you can decide whether to send it/amend it or not. You can compare the offer to your current warscore and then assess whether they may accept . The initial screen, left on the picture below, gives you an estimation of a ‘fair’ demand and a likely answer to it. And it isn’t a precise score thing: there’s uncertainty above or below the compared amounts, it’s not a strict mathematically precise comparison (so, at 52% they may well go for it, even though the warscore is only 48% at the moment.

And you can also see that I’m able to negotiate separately with Magna Graecia: they are a partner, not a tributary or puppet. But in this case, as they are not the alliance leader, the negotiation is only with them. I'd still be at war with Epirus. And I’m thinking the ‘Annex’ box would be lit up if I take Ager Bruttius as well. Given Badboy is a thing in this game, I also assume that would earn me some as well. Though I don't need them to like me, just fear me!

IfMEqY.jpg

Now, if I choose to negotiate direct with the alliance-leader Epirus, it’s a different picture. Their decision would bind Magna Graecia. And they can agree (presumably rationalised by an off-screen agreement between the AIs) to sign away Magna Graecia’s province(s)! Note the warscore against the alliance is only 26%, presumably reflecting their total strength in provinces rather than just Magna Graecia. The peace screen here tells me though that on this warscore, the White Peace would have to be either monthly tribute and/or a gold payment – they would be unlikely to cede Ager Bruttius, as the warscore isn’t close enough. Interesting. And more sophisticated than I had recalled. This could be fun later on!

UIOqPl.jpg

But for now, no offer is sent. We want Magna Graecia to “no longer exist”!

§§§§§§§

This last section has added to the length of what was going to be a shorter episode than this (finishing with the economic update), but it was a useful discovery I thought best shared at this point. It will help both me and my dear readers to better understand what comes later. And it puts the game ahead a notch in my already reasonably favourable (if modest) recollection. Until next time, Vale!

Finis

Last edited:
Well, although I did buy this game back in the day it is on a physical CD and my currently computer doesn't actually have a CD drive, so I took advantage of the current sale and bought the Gold Edition. Whether I will actually play any Rome again is a less certain matter :)

Well, although I did buy this game back in the day it is on a physical CD and my currently computer doesn't actually have a CD drive, so I took advantage of the current sale and bought the Gold Edition. Whether I will actually play any Rome again is a less certain matter :)
Nice - you have the option anyway. You can see what you think of the gameplay experience I will be relating and judge whether it would be worth your discretionary time! :) At least playing without having to do an AAR would be a lot quicker.