• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
July 30, 2019: Backstory and Inital Development

bobgrey1997

Captain
1 Badges
Feb 16, 2015
  • Cities in Motion 2
This is the first time I've ever made this type of thread. I usually don't keep track of progress on things I work on; I just work on it until I get done, or get bored, whichever either applies or comes first.
This time, however, I feel like doing something different. I plan to actually keep track of, and share my progress on this city.
As such, this thread will be added upon as progress is done, hopefully daily.

The city of Montburgh is the capital city of a corporate-owned state of the same name, located in a fictional United States.
The city is located along Interstate 3 on the West Coast, at the Interstate 12 and Interstate 14 junctions. The map in use is Littlevalley.
The city is owned and maintained by the Montburgh Corporation.
jDoQTrx.png

July 30, 2019:
The city is rather small at the moment, as I only started it two days ago. I build every road carefully and with attention to details. Every single intersection makes use of custom-set priority (stop signs, yield, timed traffic lights, etc) and Traffic Manager's Junction Restrictions (mainly to allow vehicles on a priority road to "block" intersections where the crossing road has a stop sign). MoveIt mod never gets a break either!

North-oriented map of current city:
tAIbO2S.jpg

So far, there's not much to see at first glance. There is a tiny industrial park to the south, a large shopping center north of there, and sprawling neighborhoods to the north-east and west.

Arguably, the single most important part of any city is the main entrance route because, how would anyone enter the city without it...
In this case, the main entrance is the Interstate 3/Interstate 14/Broadway Boulevard Interchange:
W9N5Rpu.jpg

This was my initial site. Broadway Boulevard (the road going south-east into the industrial park) was the first road in the city, followed by Mulberry Avenue (the road intersecting Broadway at the roundabout).
Here, traffic from the all directions on the freeway has direct access to both sections of the industrial park, Mulberry Avenue, and the main shopping center: Applegate Plaza.
S0zmsLT.jpg

71A2Uuk.jpg

Applegate Plaza houses many services and amenities including several restaurants, department stores, home improvement stores, an emergency clinic, a school, three hotels , three gas stations, and even a Walmart! Applegate is directly accessible from both directions of Mulberry Avenue and Broadway Boulevard, and is a short distance from Davies Drive, the primary residential road:
ykSDyvW.jpg

Davies Drive crosses Mulberry Avenue just east of Applegate and connects the residential areas to Interstate 14.
Directly across the freeway is a second residential area, named Walnut Ridge:
np7fErc.jpg

Davies Drive continues across Interstate 3 to the west.
Interstate 3 Davies Drive exit at Walnut Ridge:
U6SWuBU.jpg

That's about all there is with this city so far.
Let's take a look at what takes the most time: freeways:
The main freeway so far is Interstate 14. Here is a section of it where Mulberry Avenue crosses over:
N7c2YL6.jpg

This segment features access roads on both sides with direct access to several streets in the main residential area on the eastbound side and a small shopping center on the westbound side.
Moving West, we have the Davies Drive overpass and exit, with Applegate visible on the right and the smaller shopping center on the left in the background:
MFmtB65.jpg

Closer look at Davies Drive:
XYpDbXa.jpg

This is an opportunity to take note the exits in use, done with modifications to the Highway Ramp Project "prefab" intersections, and the custom sign made with DOT signs and Procedural Objects.
Immediately east of there is more usage of the above content in the Interstate 3/Interstate 14/Broadway Boulevard Interchange:
se3CSYr.jpg

Wtl990V.jpg

A fully custom-built merge, featuring two exit lanes that go straight while the three through lanes curve left:
zQ62pFm.jpg

This one took a while! Who knew you could spend almost 20 minutes placing only THREE road segments!? I had to carefully nudge each segment with MoveIt while traffic drove through (not with game paused) because they would always either drive VERY slow, cut the corner into the lane to the left (or into the median in the case of traffic already in left lane when entering the curve), or both.

To the North, (in the background) the northern-most road in the city: Walnut Ridge Road, crosses over Interstate 3:
NNZXFFf.jpg

It has no exit as it connects to Davies Drive just to the West and a very short distance from Davies Drive's exit.

Well, that's all for now. I'm going to bed. Feel free to ask questions, provide feedback/advice, and discuss anything about the city. I'll try to progress further and update tomorrow, but I will keep track of any comments here and respond whenever I see them.

Last edited:
August 4, 2019: Coastal District, Signage, Rearrangement
The past couple of days have been quite interesting...
July 31st - August 4th, 2019
I have made a new district on the coast, extending upon Davies Drive over Interstate 3. Here is some screenshots of it:
LtQk7ag.jpg

lTmrt6j.jpg

A large landfill area has been built on the northern side of Walnut Ridge Road, west of Interstate 3:
4Yw9QsY.jpg

A small commercial spot on Davies Drive:
orffhX2.jpg

That old industrial section with the roundabout that was causing a bit of traffic...
It annoyed me, so I converted it into a residential block:
bGxkpyc.jpg

Here it is at night:
RakWLFQ.jpg

That roundabout has been built into a cloverleaf interchange:
EJ1dPoL.jpg

While building the western district, however, I noticed something very strange...
The ocean is not to the west! Or, at least the sun does not set over the ocean's horizon!
Look at that image showing the small commercial area on Davies Drive. It was taken at around noon. Notice how the shadows are facing almost exactly toward the coast. At noon, the sun in directly south of town, making the coast the northern edge of town, not the west!
This made me upset, as I had already built a few signs based on the coast being west.

Two days ago, I started a bit of project for signage in the city.
Montburgh Corporation owns and maintains an entire state. States usually have entire highway networks. I decided to make custom highways shields of Montburgh highways!
Initially, I had three shields done. I just finished another four. You can download them on the Steam Workshop. Link in my mod thread here. To go along with the shields, I also made an entire set of directional arrows and Exit Only tabs for highway exits and intersections, found here.

When working on and testing these mods, a bit of an issue happened which resulted in losing significant progress on my city! (One of the saves went missing, even though I was on an unmodded save except for the mods needed to test my sign fonts).
In the process, I lost the entire new coastal district, the cloverleaf interchange, and the industrial area's conversion. I have since rebuilt the conversion and interchange.

When converting all my current signage to the new shields, I took the newfound directions into consideration and rearranged the city. The coastal highway (Interstate 3) is now Intercity Freeway 62. The freeway going inland in the middle of town (Interstate 14) is not Intercity Freeway 47. The freeway going inland on the far side of the map (was Interstate 12) is now Intercity Freeway 45. There is a freeway further inland connecting 47 and 45, designated Intercity Freeway 475. Broadway Boulevard is designated Montburgh State Highway 383
MkAOl5p.png