• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TinyWiking

Team Lead - Customer Support
Administrator
Paradox Staff
90 Badges
Jul 1, 2015
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Limited Collectors Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • PDXCON 2017 Gold Ticket holder
  • Haemimont Games Staff
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • IPO Investor
  • Eugen Systems Staff
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
If you are experiencing random crashes when the game was running fine in the past please check if you have a program called Citrix Workspace installed. At the moment this program is causing Unity to crash (randomly it seems) and the solution is to remove it from your computer.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Any fix for those of us who are unable to use the workaround because of work requirements? I hadn't played since I started working from home, I am stuck unable to play after buying up some DLC this weekend.
There is not, I am sorry.

Perhaps you could have a different Windows user for work and play, something like that?

I was able to make Cities boot up by disabling "Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator" in the Device Manger. The secret now lies in my ability to enable it again when it is time for work. Cheers and thanks for the quick reply.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don't install citrix
Then, if I can ask, why post in a thread about the Citrix problem? :confused:

Please make your own new thread and supply the info there, thanks!

This problem had been reported 1½ year ago; can we hope for a resolution anytime soon? The solutions proposed here are not good for me.
In what way?

FYI the issue is between Citrix and Unity.

Reactions:
This problem had been reported 1½ year ago; can we hope for a resolution anytime soon? The solutions proposed here are not good for me.
The workaround didn't work for me either, but I just uninstalled and reinstalled Citrix and now I can log on for work and play the game. I think the issue was a Windows update I downloaded this past Wednesday (I was able to play on Tuesday, but not on Wednesday despite no change to Citrix). I have no idea why this worked, but it seems to have (at least until the next Windows update), so you might want to try reinstalling Citrix. Good luck!

In my first post in this thread is a link to a Unity forum post that describes how to install Citrix Workspace without the feature that causes this problem.

Alternatively you can use the one in the Windows 10 store, as that also lacks that feature.

If you need that feature (Casting? Something like that) then I'm afraid there is no workaround.

I have the same issue with citrix workspace. I cannot uninstall this as i use it for work. If there isn't a fix for a game to coexist with citrix, is there somewhere i can request a refund?

Reactions:
I have the same issue with citrix workspace. I cannot uninstall this as i use it for work. If there isn't a fix for a game to coexist with citrix, is there somewhere i can request a refund?
In post #2 above I linked to a Unity forum thread that detailed a workaround. Did that not work for you?

I would like to point out, that Unity has been fixed for years now (wont let me post a link to unity forums, just google it), the devs of CS could fix this problem if they wanted.

I know updating the engine may break mods but imho ensuring compatability with a very common workplace app (which people wont readily mess with) is fairly important.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any fix for those of us who are unable to use the workaround because of work requirements? I hadn't played since I started working from home, I am stuck unable to play after buying up some DLC this weekend.
your not the only one. Seems unacceptable that they can't fix this issue or offer any sort of fix that doesn't involve quitting my job, or uninstalling and reinstalling citrix everytime i want to play the game and then work the next day. Seems like paradox is heading down the path of being the next EA, releasing busted games and patches, and doing nothing for us since they already got our money.

your not the only one. Seems unacceptable that they can't fix this issue or offer any sort of fix that doesn't involve quitting my job, or uninstalling and reinstalling citrix everytime i want to play the game and then work the next day. Seems like paradox is heading down the path of being the next EA, releasing busted games and patches, and doing nothing for us since they already got our money.

There is nothing Paradox can do about this. This is not a problem with the game.

The problem is that Citrix Workspace installs a virtual GPU that installs itself as the primary GPU, and overrides your actual GPU. The Unity engine itself can't cope with this fake videocard, and thus the game can't run. This affects ALL Unity games. And Citrix doesn't care. Citrix are the ones asking you to quit your job if you want to play games. Not Paradox.

You're basically asking the power company to fix the broken highway, if you need a game-based analogy.

Citrix is the one who needs to fix this, because there is no reason for Workspace to even install a virtual GPU. The program doesn't need it in 90% of the usecases, and they don't even give the user a choice. Pretty shady.

Paradox can't solve this. You can go accuse the real problem of being like EA here: https://www.citrix.com/contact/

Last edited:
Reactions:
Did you not see the workaround in the link in the second post in this thread?

• 1Like
Reactions:
There is nothing Paradox can do about this. This is not a problem with the game.

The problem is that Citrix Workspace installs a virtual GPU that installs itself as the primary GPU, and overrides your actual GPU. The Unity engine itself can't cope with this fake videocard, and thus the game can't run. This affects ALL Unity games. And Citrix doesn't care. Citrix are the ones asking you to quit your job if you want to play games. Not Paradox.

You're basically asking the power company to fix the broken highway, if you need a game-based analogy.

Citrix is the one who needs to fix this, because there is no reason for Workspace to even install a virtual GPU. The program doesn't need it in 90% of the usecases, and they don't even give the user a choice. Pretty shady.

Paradox can't solve this. You can go accuse the real problem of being like EA here: https://www.citrix.com/contact/
this does NOT effect all Unity games. Just one example, Hearthstone is made in unity and works perfectly fine. So it is something that can indeed be fixed without involving citrix. I'm not making excuses for citrix. Just pointing out that there is and has been the ability for game developers to fix this issue.

• 1Like
Reactions: