• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

isdraken

Recruit
8 Badges
Jan 1, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
It seems as if the game cannot handle RAM memory usage only. As soon as I disable the swapfile usage in favour of RAM the game only loads to just above 50% and then calls a timeout and breaks and generates a error. Once diskmem is activated it starts even though it lags like h... despite me having 32gb of ram and 4,7ghz processing and RX graphics card from AMD. On load it can use as much as 28gb of memory and with swapfile active it can happen that it is loading even more. I have watched the performance monitor and it is relentless. The windows OS then calls an interrupt and the loading halts. It is so annoying because the use of RAM only speeds up the PC in all ways. My C disk is a highperformance SSD with 6gb/s access but ...yyeah. You work it out. I think many that cannot run the game have this issue. I can add I have played 3 327 hours game time.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
It is true the game can use a lot of system memory when mods and especially assets are loaded; a badly written asset can chew up almost any amount of memory.

Please gather both these two informational files, and attach them here:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\output_log.txt

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

It is true the game can use a lot of system memory when mods and especially assets are loaded; a badly written asset can chew up almost any amount of memory.

Please gather both these two informational files, and attach them here:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\output_log.txt

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.
Here the files you asked for are included. Thanks for taking the time.

Attachments

• DxDiag CtS.txt
    35,3 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    1,6 MB · Views: 0
DynamicHeapAllocator out of memory - Could not get memory for large allocation 1490704!

Re-reading your OP you say " As soon as I disable the swapfile usage in favour of RAM ..." . Does this mean you are disabling the paging file in Windows? If so please do not do that, it will cause this problem every time!

The only other suggestions I have are to delete any save games you don't need nay more as they use up memory too, and unload any other apps you can before starting the game.

Good luck!

Re-reading your OP you say " As soon as I disable the swapfile usage in favour of RAM ..." . Does this mean you are disabling the paging file in Windows? If so please do not do that, it will cause this problem every time!

The only other suggestions I have are to delete any save games you don't need nay more as they use up memory too, and unload any other apps you can before starting the game.

Good luck!
Yes I disable the paging file for increased performance of the system. So far it is ONLY Cities Skylines that causes this failure.

I don't see how disabling the paging file can help system performance in any way ... it should only be brought into use by Windows when there is more loaded than can be fitted into system memory. Then the less-used apps and data get paged out to disk, which would only have a performance hit if you then accessed them and they had to be paged back into system memory.

Without a paging file you basically can't load more that fits in system memory anyway!

I don't see how disabling the paging file can help system performance in any way ... it should only be brought into use by Windows when there is more loaded than can be fitted into system memory. Then the less-used apps and data get paged out to disk, which would only have a performance hit if you then accessed them and they had to be paged back into system memory.

Without a paging file you basically can't load more that fits in system memory anyway!
to qoute what I was taught doing the Microsoft A+ course of becoming a system tech " Windows is inefficient at using the pagefile, and if you have plenty of memory you should just disable it since RAM is a lot faster than your hard drive. By disabling it, you are forcing Windows to keep everything in much faster RAM all the time." It is a matter of opinion and experience. Disabling the pagefile.sys on older machines with just standard slow disk drives would be good. Nowadays with the modern high speed ssd's then maybe it doesn't make any difference since they are basically built the same way as ram. The idea was that Windows would be forced to clear parts of the memory of files that no longer where in use, instead of bloating it. I will reapply the pagefile at least for gaming skylines since I got an interesting challenge to try and reconstruct part of a local city and make a "reasonable idea on how to efficiently make a tram system viable" (will take me forever. lol) Thanks once again for your great work and effort.

You can get a more accurate view of how much memory you're really using on load by subscribing to the loading screen mod. It gives you a play by play on the loading process and a running counter of how much memory is being used. It also saves a bit of memory for you and makes the load go a little faster.

I agree with you. If you have plenty of RAM, the game should not care whether you have a paging file or not. That said. I did notice from the log that you are loading a bunch of custom assets, so I definitely recommend the loading screen mod.

Definitely don't disable the pagefile. Actually, I recommend you set up a custom-sized pagefile. Windows will allocate assets to it when Cities: Skylines runs, and the automatic increase is inefficient and at times unstable. It's very likely the source of your performance issues. I'd recommend setting it to 32000 MB at least, but you could also go for 64000 MB assuming you have the harddisk space of course. It all comes down to how much workshop content you're using as that of course affects how much Windows uses the pagefile while running Cities: Skylines.