• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings, fellow city-builders, and welcome to another Sunset Harbor Dev Diary!

As the previous diary was dedicated to Trolleybuses, we think it's a good idea to follow it with even more public transport services coming to you in Sunset Harbor.

Intercity Bus Service

Intercity Bus is a public transport service that opens up a new outside connection. In addition to transporting tourists, the Intercity Bus Service also makes traveling easier for your citizens and ultimately decreases traffic, as people leave their own vehicles at home.

DevDiary_IntercityBus.png

There's something to it when you travel by night, with home waiting in the distance.

The Intercity Bus Service unlocks at Milestone 6, but you can already see intercity buses on the highways at the start of the game. The new intercity bus station and terminal are located in the same build menu tab as the local bus service. There is no need to create any stops or lines, just build an intercity bus station or terminal and you can notice intercity buses making frequent stops at your city. This new service also comes with a brand new intercity bus vehicle model and an updated Public Transport Infoview. Adjusting the old bus budget slider also encourages people to use intercity buses more.

DevDiary_IntercityBusStation.png

An intercity bus station in the morning.

Passenger Helicopter

The next new public transport service takes citizens to new heights. Passenger helicopters circumvent traffic altogether and zip through the sky, connecting people in a whole new way. This service unlocks at Milestone 11, right before airports, and uses the same build menu tab as other Air transport services. The new assets that unlock with the service are the helicopter vehicle model, helicopter depot and helicopter stop. There is also an updated Public Transport Infoview and helicopters are added to the existing Air Transport budget slider. To start building your first passenger helicopter line, you first need to place a helicopter depot that sends out the helicopters. Then you build as many helicopter stops as you want and connect them with the new Helicopter pathway tool. Don't forget to connect the depot to one of the stops because helicopters can't move without pathways! Lastly, you can create helicopter lines by selecting joined Helicopter stops with the Helicopter Line tool. There are also two helicopter stops in one of the new transport hubs we are going to talk about next!

DevDiary_PassangerHelicopter.png

Connecting a Passenger Helicopter Depot to a Helicopter Stop using the Helicopter Pathway tool.

Transport Hubs

You read it right, we are adding new transport hubs to the game! There are five new hubs in total coming with Sunset Harbor. Transport hubs connect different transport networks together, making changing from one transport type to another easy and fast without the need to walk from one stop to another. All new hubs are added to a brand new build menu tab together with the older hubs. Transport hubs function the same way as public transport stops: If a transport hub has been built and is connected to a road, train track or metro track, it can be used as a stop when creating a public transport line.

DevDiary_MetroTrainHub.png

Train-Metro hub, at your service!

Here are short introductions to the new assets:
  • Bus-Intercity Bus Hub utilizes the new intercity bus service introduced above and connects it to the good old local bus service. Bus lines can be created on the bus platforms and citizens can change between local and intercity buses with ease. At Milestone 6, this hub is the first of the five to unlock.
  • Metro-Intercity Bus Hub combines the intercity bus service with an underground metro network to get your travelers all around town! This hub unlocks at Milestone 7.
  • Bus-Metro Hub connects the local bus service and two metro networks together. You can see citizens taking the escalator to the metro and hurrying to the bus platforms as they change lines. Unlocks at Milestone 9.
  • Train-Metro Hub has two large stations connected together by a road and a bridge over the road that makes it easy for train passengers to change to a metro line. But hang on, is that an overground metro line? More about that in the Dev Diaries to come ;) This beauty unlocks at Milestone 8.
  • Metropolitan Airport brings with it the largest building to Cities: Skylines so far! This hub wraps together an international airport, two underground metro stations and two landing pads for the passenger helicopter. This colossal building unlocks at Milestone 13.
DevDiary_MetropolitanAirport.png

The Metropolitan Airport will bring citizens together from around the world.

With these hubs, we've tied together all the new public transport services. The next Dev Diary is going to focus on completely different city services. We hope you liked these new features and are looking forward to the next ones!

Until next time, city-builders!

Colossal Order dev team

EDIT: Fixed broken smiley :D

Last edited:
Nah that's 'Intracity buses'

Intercity buses is like The National Express and only stop off in your city before going elsewhere.
Precisely. For those that are confused, think like how Cruise Ships and Airplanes currently operate in-game, only on land: They come in through the off-map points onthe highway, drop off tourists, pick up citizens who want to visit other cities, and then leave.

This is just a trivial issue, not really vital, but I am still bothered by the fact that there still isn't the entrance pavement between the building / lot and the road. I noticed that there is a long green lawn the entire length of the intercity bus station in the second screenshot. Are the bus going to jump the sidewalk to and from the station? :p

This is just a trivial issue, not really vital, but I am still bothered by the fact that there still isn't the entrance pavement between the building / lot and the road. I noticed that there is a long green lawn the entire length of the intercity bus station in the second screenshot. Are the bus going to jump the sidewalk to and from the station? :p

I don't think it's trivial, this is where attention to detail matters for game play immersion. If you're noticing it now, it's going to bug you every time you play.

I can understand residential, commerical and industry being generic since the game randomly builds the asset, but prebuilt placeable buildings should be modeled correctly.

So yes, it's dumb they don't have a dedicated enterance and exit. Someone either forgot, or the devs are getting lazy.

Any reason why nobody thought to add sky diving as part of the aviation club?? Brain fart maybe??

Would have been cool to see people parachuting down from the sky.

That would have made the aviation club a 10x better tourist attraction.

You could have made one of the buildings on the asset be for indoor skydiving. You could have also made a building be an aviation museum. These additional things make it an attraction for tourists. The small plane flying is for city citizens only so where is the tourist attraction to this asset without something like skydiving and museum?

So much more you could have done to make this asset better.

Last edited:
Any reason why nobody thought to add sky diving as part of the aviation club?? Brain fart maybe??

Would have been cool to see people parachuting down from the sky.

That would have made the aviation club a 10x better tourist attraction.

You could have made one of the buildings on the asset be for indoor skydiving. You could have also made a building be an aviation museum. These additional things make it an attraction for tourists. The small plane flying is for city citizens only so where is the tourist attraction to this asset without something like skydiving and museum?

So much more you could have done to make this asset better.

Now those two possibilities does sounds intriguing, especially the aviation museum. While we are at it about aviation museum, why not also have museums of other different types like, say, agriculture museum or even industry museum? There are actually a huge diversity in terms of museum types as a list here, here, and even a more insanely huge categorization here from Wikipedia will show and even that list doesn't cover all types.

There is a quilt museum in my hometown called the National Quilt Museum of the United States (as designated by the U.S. Congress in 2008) which is also accompanied by the annual Quilt Show in April (this year now postponed to September due to coronavirus) which I can tell you is a huge economic boon for the area, with many people coming in from all over the world, not just from the country (all hotel rooms literally fully sold out to the point that many residents often rented out a room for the visitors during the show).

Which leads me to one thing about certain types of museum like aviation museum: you could have air show each year if you have an aviation club AND aviation museum. Honestly, we really need some kind of yearly events in a city aside from a few like that graduation ceremony in the college, especially in connection with buildings though can also be general like the parade but that's a different matter. Maybe a state fair if you meet certain criteria like how much land use for agriculture you have.

We already have art museum, technology museum, and science museum from the Campus DLC as well the museums for modern art and... boat. Although I think that boat museum probably should be renamed Maritime Museum, I suppose; can't really say I have ever heard of "boat museum", at least in a museum's name.

Additionally, libraries are equally diverse in types as shown here, here and here. Public library is just a general library but what about specialized libraries like, say, children's library? Or even film library, as library isn't always about books. Maybe even have a mobile library system established through a policy and which could manifest as special vehicles (how many might depend on something like the population size or average density) that parks on open space somewhere in the city.

Anyway, I digress but I think aviation museum is definitely interesting. Museum for other forms of transport isn't unheard of, either. There are automobile museum and there is also river maritime museum, one of which is in my hometown called Paducah, Kentucky (the city is literally in a region of four rivers (Mississippi, Ohio, Cumberland, and Tennessee)) which is called River Discovery Museum. We also have a local railroad museum as well.

Maybe even have a mobile library system

When I was a kid, the "bookmobile" used to come around every so often. It was a converted bus (school bus I would guess). Had books on shelves in it. I always liked getting on and checking out a book or two.

Now those two possibilities does sounds intriguing, especially the aviation museum. While we are at it about aviation museum, why not also have museums of other different types like, say, agriculture museum or even industry museum? There are actually a huge diversity in terms of museum types as a list here, here, and even a more insanely huge categorization here from Wikipedia will show and even that list doesn't cover all types.

There is a quilt museum in my hometown called the National Quilt Museum of the United States (as designated by the U.S. Congress in 2008) which is also accompanied by the annual Quilt Show in April (this year now postponed to September due to coronavirus) which I can tell you is a huge economic boon for the area, with many people coming in from all over the world, not just from the country (all hotel rooms literally fully sold out to the point that many residents often rented out a room for the visitors during the show).

Which leads me to one thing about certain types of museum like aviation museum: you could have air show each year if you have an aviation club AND aviation museum. Honestly, we really need some kind of yearly events in a city aside from a few like that graduation ceremony in the college, especially in connection with buildings though can also be general like the parade but that's a different matter. Maybe a state fair if you meet certain criteria like how much land use for agriculture you have.

We already have art museum, technology museum, and science museum from the Campus DLC as well the museums for modern art and... boat. Although I think that boat museum probably should be renamed Maritime Museum, I suppose; can't really say I have ever heard of "boat museum", at least in a museum's name.

Additionally, libraries are equally diverse in types as shown here, here and here. Public library is just a general library but what about specialized libraries like, say, children's library? Or even film library, as library isn't always about books. Maybe even have a mobile library system established through a policy and which could manifest as special vehicles (how many might depend on something like the population size or average density) that parks on open space somewhere in the city.

Anyway, I digress but I think aviation museum is definitely interesting. Museum for other forms of transport isn't unheard of, either. There are automobile museum and there is also river maritime museum, one of which is in my hometown called Paducah, Kentucky (the city is literally in a region of four rivers (Mississippi, Ohio, Cumberland, and Tennessee)) which is called River Discovery Museum. We also have a local railroad museum as well.

I like your idea of yearly events. Airshows for the aviation club is another thing that could have been added too.

Last edited:
I see that the development dyaries are linked one after the other and that the redesigned part of the metro has not been addressed ... It is all the more bizarre since those on transport have been addressed with the Trolley and hubs ... Is there a problem with this addition of Sunset Harbor?! ...

I see that the development dyaries are linked one after the other and that the redesigned part of the metro has not been addressed ... It is all the more bizarre since those on transport have been addressed with the Trolley and hubs ... Is there a problem with this addition of Sunset Harbor?! ...
Announcement for the metro is today Wednesday the 25th. As the rest from the free content update.

Ok Akeela84 thank you !! ... I am therefore impatiently waiting to find out what this redesign of the metro has to offer, especially with regard to underground stations for connecting metro lines and stations in viaducts! ! ... I would also have been curious to know if we could make underground train / subway interconnection stations like this exists in Paris for suburban trains !! ...

Otherwise for intercity buses I think that if we do not put priority lanes on the highways for them, that reduces the interest ... In addition, logically their terminals will be located on the outskirts of cities, and for correspondence with local bus lines, these can only be lines that fold down towards the city center ... Will these buses have dedicated depots or merge with those of normal buses it's not precised in the Dev Diary?

Will these buses have dedicated depots

Yes.

But your point about Intercity bus stations only being on the outskirts, that's not entirely true. Most National Express stops in the UK are a dedicated platform at the town bus station. Manchester also has a National Express exclusive station near the middle of the city centre.

Well I started from the principle that since an intercity bus is not intended to serve city centers but cities between them, in order to be able to rebound more quickly from one to the other, it would be more interesting to putting its terminals on the outskirts ... We could also perhaps consider installing simple dedicated stops of this type of bus in highly strategic places in city centers, I do not exclude it ... And to return to the efficiency of this mode of transport, is there the possibility of creating priority lanes on motorways?

Well I started from the principle that since an intercity bus is not intended to serve city centers but cities between them, in order to be able to rebound more quickly from one to the other, it would be more interesting to putting its terminals on the outskirts ... We could also perhaps consider installing simple dedicated stops of this type of bus in highly strategic places in city centers, I do not exclude it ... And to return to the efficiency of this mode of transport, is there the possibility of creating priority lanes on motorways?

You probably shouldn't assume tourism buses are going to function like it does in real life. That being the case, you'll probably want the hub near center if town so Cims can dispurse equally throughout your city from there.

Every DLC brings additions that I love. But how have we done 9 DLCs with still no ability to alter the fares of my transit and have that effect usage!? And why is not something that people request more of.

Rail/Metro hub is also so big! Would have been good to have a form factor similar to current rail stations so that they can be swapped out. Also, multiplatform rail and metro stations would be amazing.

Hello,

I come to revive the subject of the Sunset Harbor DLC around the new transport options that are close to my heart. While browsing the Steam workshop in recent days I saw that a vanilla metro train with a fairly successful design was created with variants ranging from 4 to 8 cars (I do not know who is the author) with a respective capacity of 120, 180 and 240 passengers ... Nevertheless in terms of infrastructure I continue to have doubts if with the improvements of Sunset Harbor we can create underground lines on 3 levels for example, and establish interconnections between different underground lines on each level and between them?
Is it possible to create underground depots with neighboring siding? With the possibility of putting the tracks on the ground, is it possible beyond a simple terminus to put aerial depots with mooring tracks around?

As for the metro / surface train interconnection, it looks architecturally good, but it could also be that we don't always have this same configuration ... How does it happen then, should do we use other mods that meet specific needs? Is it still impossible to get suburban trains into the underground or is there a mod for that and if so which one? It would be great if we could one day establish an underground connection between metros and commuter trains !! ...

underground lines on 3 levels
2020-04-24 14_09_48-Cities_ Skylines.jpg
Is it possible to create underground depots with neighboring siding? With the possibility of putting the tracks on the ground, is it possible beyond a simple terminus to put aerial depots with mooring tracks around?
I could not translate this sentence and therefore I did not understand it. Could you please rephrase it, or a picture :)
Metros and Trains in Vanilla dont use the same Tracks - so this is question Mod Choice.
This is how it looks for a Metro Under-to-Overground:
2020-04-24 14_12_15-Cities_ Skylines.jpg