• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Trolleybuses!

Greetings fellow city-builders and welcome to another Sunset Harbor Dev Diary!

Ever since Cities: Skylines was released, we have received hundreds of requests for one specific feature: Trolleybuses! And to go along with every one of those requests, vivid debates took place within the community about whether or not trolleybuses are too hard to implement, if the feature is “too niche” or if “they” actually ever even read the suggestions posted on the forums.

Let us assure you that we are indeed constantly listening, and every single idea is considered when we are deciding what to do next! Also, we are just as enthusiastic about public transport as you are, and you would have to be very creative to suggest something that we would consider to be “too niche”

The reason trolleybuses have never been added is their technical complexity. Trolleybuses are basically “trackless trams”: electrical buses that draw their power from overhead wires. Unlike trams, they utilize two wires and two trolley poles to complete the electrical circuit. And like a normal bus, a trolleybus is able to change lanes and stop on the side of the road. As the bus is moving, its poles rotate and tilt to stay attached to the wires. In the game as well as in reality, the trolley poles are the most tricky part of the whole system.

We are glad to inform you that we have managed to overcome the technical challenges, so Trolleybuses will finally be available in Cities: Skylines – Sunset Harbor!

DevDiary_Trolleybus1.png

They are finally here!

The trolleybus system in Cities: Skylines – Sunset Harbor consists of four components:
  • Trolleybus Depot
  • Trolleybus Roads
  • Trolleybus Stops
  • Trolleybus Vehicle
To get started with trolleybuses, you first place a Trolleybus Depot. After that, you can place Trolleybus Roads and create Trolleybus Lines with roadside stops. Your depot will then send out trolleybuses to operate the lines. It is important to remember that the trolley poles must be attached to the wires at all times, so your Trolleybus Depot and your Trolleybus Lines must be connected by Trolleybus Roads as well!

DevDiary_TrolleybusDepot.png

Trolleybus Depot sending out new trolleybuses.

DevDiary_Trolleybus2.png

Taking passengers over the river.

That’s the easy part! In the second part of this Dev Diary, we would like to shed light on what we did to make the trolley poles behave realistically. Unlike other diary entries, this one will be slightly more technical. Even if you are not that math and geometry savvy, we still hope you enjoy this inside look!

trolleybus1.jpg

The Wire

Let’s take a closer look at the roads! On every road segment, you will find three catenary masts: One at the start, one in the middle and one at the end. The electrical wires span the masts, and with some mathematical calculations we can find out the start and end coordinate of each wire section. Let’s call them
image2019-9-24_12-6-9.png
and
image2019-9-24_12-6-21.png
(using a small arrow to mark them as 3D vectors).

A mathematical formula to define the line of the wire would be
image2019-9-24_12-6-37.png
with
image2019-9-24_12-6-45.png
and
image2019-9-24_12-6-50.png

When the bus is on the road segment, we want its pole to connect to the overhead wire defined by the mathematical formula above.
image2019-9-24_12-7-39.png
is the coordinate where the pole is attached to the wire.

The Trolleybus

The game knows how the bus is positioned and rotated in the world, and from that it is possible to calculate the coordinate where the trolley pole is attached to the bus. Let’s call it
image2019-9-24_12-12-56.png
!

The trolley pole is made of sturdy metal, so it cannot stretch. That means the distance between the coordinate where the pole is attached to the bus (
) and the coordinate where the pole is attached to the wire (
image2019-9-24_12-7-39.png
) must always be equal to the length of the pole. Let’s call it
image2019-9-24_12-7-48.png
and define this formula to take that into account:
image2019-9-24_12-7-54.png

The Equation System

By inserting the first formula into the second one, we end up with a single equation with a single unknown variable
image2019-9-24_12-9-46.png
:

image2019-9-24_12-8-12.png

With a few tricks we can transform it into a quadratic equation:

Screenshot_1.png

We can use the quadratic formula to solve the equation.
We will get zero, one or two values for
:

image2019-9-24_12-9-30.png

Note that there will be no solutions if the part in the square root is negative (which happens if the wire is too far away from the bus). Note that the solutions for
calculated by this formula could also be out of range (
image2019-9-24_12-9-51.png
), so we have to check that as well.

Choosing the Right Position

By inserting
image2019-9-24_12-10-3.png
and
image2019-9-24_12-10-8.png
into our wire formula
image2019-9-24_12-10-17.png
, we can calculate two theoretical pole-wire-attachment coordinates
image2019-9-24_12-13-1.png
and
image2019-9-24_12-13-8.png
. One will be above the front part and the other above the back of the bus:

image2019-9-24_12-10-37.png

As the pole of a trolleybus is typically facing backwards, we need to find out which of the two positions is the correct one.

Haven’t had enough of vectors yet? Let’s define a few more:

Screenshot_2.png

Rendering the Trolley Poles

Uh, that was a lot of math! Now that we know where the pole is attached on the bus (
) and where the pole is attached to the wire (either
image2019-9-24_12-13-1.png
or
image2019-9-24_12-13-8.png
), it is possible to render the pole in the correct position and rotation.

As we learned, a trolleybus has two poles (otherwise the electrical circuit would be incomplete), so we will just repeat the same steps to draw the second pole.

And now you know what kind of stuff goes on behind the scenes to render the poles! Of course, in order to make trolleybuses realistic, this was just one small portion of the overall work that was needed!

DevDiary_TrolleybusNight4.png

The last shift of the evening.

Once again, we've reached the end of a Dev Diary. We hope that you liked this insight into the development of Cities: Skylines and that we didn’t scare you with all the formulas! Gotta say, the end result is really mesmerizing. We could just watch the buses circle around for hours! What do you guys think about the trolleybuses?

Until next time, city-builders!

Your Colossal Order dev team

Attachments

• image2019-9-24_12-10-32.png
    image2019-9-24_12-10-32.png
    309 bytes · Views: 94
  • image2019-9-24_12-10-27.png
    image2019-9-24_12-10-27.png
    286 bytes · Views: 42
  • image2019-9-24_12-9-19.png
    image2019-9-24_12-9-19.png
    208 bytes · Views: 32
  • image2019-9-24_12-8-8.png
    image2019-9-24_12-8-8.png
    208 bytes · Views: 28
  • image2019-9-24_12-7-34.png
    image2019-9-24_12-7-34.png
    349 bytes · Views: 32
  • image2019-9-24_12-7-19.png
    image2019-9-24_12-7-19.png
    349 bytes · Views: 30
  • image2019-9-24_12-7-0.png
    image2019-9-24_12-7-0.png
    246 bytes · Views: 51
Last edited:
Now I just wanna know if trolleybuses and trams can work together or not.

Me too. Does this mean one now needs separate roads/other paths for monorail, trams, bicycle lanes AND for trolley buses? Or will there be any way to make a public transport hub where passengers can change between monorail, tram, trolley and bus. (Possibly next to railway station).

Me too. Does this mean one now needs separate roads/other paths for monorail, trams, bicycle lanes AND for trolley buses? Or will there be any way to make a public transport hub where passengers can change between monorail, tram, trolley and bus. (Possibly next to railway station).

Best bet there may be the Ultrahub off the Workshop.

Monorail station could be nearby and trolleybuses aren't necessary, just use your buses/trams! ;)

Last edited:
I definitely appreciate the hard work you put into this. Lots of people will enjoy them. I just don't know how much I need to add something like this in my city. Unless the capacity is different or some other advantage. But good to have different options, I guess.

This is really great news, thank you :). I was missing trolleybuses so badly in this awesome game ever since it was originally released in 2015. And I am pretty much aware there are some "trolleybuses" in the workshop that either work as a bus or a tram, but those would never have animated poles :). So now, I'll easily be able to combine every transport option that comes to my mind, using trolleybuses for steep hills that trams would hardly climb and buses would be accelerating slower while polluting the area (in the real world at least).

Anyway, I bet you had these formulas up in your sleeve from the good old Cities in Motion 2 days where trolleybuses were included as well, so hope it was not that much depressing :).

On german Trolley Bus Wikipedia there is a photo of a London Double Decker Bus with an interesting ad on it. In combination with the virus it would have been the more fitting bus model than the "boring" Solaris Urbino 12.

From the Instagram Q and A:

Trolley buses will carry 30 (same as normal buses)
3 roads for trolley buses- normal, one way and Avenue
Trolley buses are cheaper to run.
Hmm, it would have been interesting to increase the capacity to 50, just to make a difference from normal busses.

Some people will probably also miss the possibility to combine trolly busses with dedicated bus lanes. Road modders will soon be bombed with requests!

Do you know this one is only for static charging? The pantograph goes down when in operation (it would not be able to run like this without precise guiding system like having tracks = that would be a tram or a train). So this is in no way a trolleybus but an electric bus equipped with batteries ;)
Just a real-life photo to ask a graphics question. Pantographs have been studied before, and there are overhead line electrified roads being built for trucks with double pantographs. I saw some fork-end single pole supporting structure renders online (trolley pole, not pantograph).

Last edited:
On german Trolley Bus Wikipedia there is a photo of a London Double Decker Bus with an interesting ad on it. In combination with the virus it would have been the more fitting bus model than the "boring" Solaris Urbino 12.
Parklife already has a double-decker bus asset for sightseeing tour. Re-using the vehicle model as an additional option for ordinary internal city bus and external bus (we'll see if we can run internal intercity coach bus) would be more fitting before trolleybus, like Green Cities's paid "biofuel bus" and Campus free "school bus" (so again, let's see if this will be included in this free update). Generally, single-decker is proportionally more common on trolleybus because of its short-distance local service nature with higher standing capacity.

Last edited:
No word about articulated trolleybus support. Will it be supported in the game?
Obviously no vanilla asset (as shown) but there will be mods. I would like to see wire-less articulated bus (especially since CO decides to keep the base game capacity of ordinary city bus), and non-articulated tram as well.

Just a real-life photo to ask a graphics question. Pantographs have been studied before, and there are overhead line electrified roads being built for trucks with double pantographs. I saw some fork-end single pole supporting structure renders online (trolley pole, not pantograph).
Yeah, there are experiments to use train like pantographs on highways but if a truck has to switch lanes the two-pole pantograph still has to go down to not cause any shortage or to not tear the wires down. So there is very little flexibility to this and it is hardly usable on the more curved segments of the road. Trolleybus poles can make the bus run up to around 4 meters away from the wires each side and that's very valuable especially in the city operation. Anyway, I suppose this update could be partially usable for trams/trains as well as I don't think current game pantographs move up/down with the wire on slopes. (Or do they? Maybe I have just not noticed this.)

Well, I guess if the masses asked for it, so be it

Personally, living here in the US, I'm 46 years old and never knew trolly buses existed, have never seen one so I'd say it's "niche" content that's not relevant at all to me. Not only that but it seemed we already had plenty of bus content in the game, regular buses, Green City buses and tourism buses.

Instead, I would have liked to see content that every city in the world uses, parking garages!! 3 different size garages you can place down then be able to set a hourly rate. You could plop these down near commercial areas or near mass transit areas so cims can park and go from there. Not only would it help eliminate traffic but provide additional income for the city.

But everybody just wanted more buses that serve the same purpose of what we already have in the game, huh? LOL, ok.

@co_emmi
What is the difference between other modes of transportation for the "Trolley Bus" that will be added this time?
What is the difference between tram and bus? Is there a difference in capacity? Is it for tourists only?

Not more than BRT, but I agree with the additional elements of this DLC. However, if there is no discrimination from existing transportation ... maybe ...

They added it just because people wanted it. It add nothing new to the game we didn't already have the capability of.

Last edited:
Personally, living here in the US, I'm 46 years old and never knew trolly buses existed, have never seen one
Not many of them survived in the US, but there are still some systems in operation up to this date. I also think you could say something similar about trams in the US :). Nonetheless cities which kept trolleybuses or trams in operation are quite lucky to have an efficient electric public transport system as they don't have to invest that much into electric buses or any other no/low emissions means of transport. That is also why this kind of public transport sees a bit of a renaissance these days so even new trolleybus and tram systems are raising.

Well, I guess if the masses asked for it, so be it

Personally, living here in the US, I'm 46 years old and never knew trolley buses existed, have never seen one so I'd say it's "niche" content that's not relevant at all to me. Not only that but it seemed we already had plenty of bus content in the game, regular buses, Green City buses and tourism buses.

Wellington City finally decommissioned their trolley buses in 2017 - They were in service for 93 years and were a feature of the city. There was something unique about them. Very quiet, and smooth in operation. I for one am looking forward to adding a couple of lines in my latest city.

Why? I'm not understanding it at all. It is a bus attached to a wire. Excuse me, two wires! Big deal!
We have this already, busses and trams? It does what we already have and can do.
I ran a search for trolleybusses not one hit other than this thread. I have to think this is some type of inside joke as they "received hundreds of requests"?

OMG, you ran into technical challenges and still pressed on? Why? Why would you do that for this, this......We already have trolleybusses. What does a third option to provide the exact same service provide us that we don't already have?

Too niche? Too niche? You keep asking. Gee, Ya think?!?!?
Too wrong, just flat out too wrong. What a waste of resources.

We couldn't have electrical busses. Maybe a battery factory. A facility to swap out the batteries. A resource to mine to manufacture the batteries? Nope, we get what we already have.....busses with poles or trams without tracks.....you choose....they be the same

Obvious grade here of a big fat F

Sorry, love the people that work there, love most of what they produce, this however, this is just a very bad idea brought to life even after the idea said "NO! STOP! I'm going to throw some geometry issues at you!" You still pressed on?!?! Of all the other issues you ran up against and gave up on, this, this is the one you spent months on to perfect? Ouch your making my head hurt...
Again, love, love, love the people that work there however this, is just bad

This does not solve an issue. It does not fix a problem. It does not add anything new. It does not create or inspire creation from it's players.
All this for poles? OMG, it has come to this, busses with poles. Trams with pneumatic tires.

Why? I'm not understanding it at all. It is a bus attached to a wire. Excuse me, two wires! Big deal!
We have this already, busses and trams? It does what we already have and can do.
I ran a search for trolleybusses not one hit other than this thread. I have to think this is some type of inside joke as they "received hundreds of requests"? ......

...... This does not solve an issue. It does not fix a problem. It does not add anything new. It does not create or inspire creation from it's players.
All this for poles? OMG, it has come to this, busses with poles. Trams with pneumatic tires.

A bit harsh, but I have to agree with you. A lot of time and effort spent for nothing more than nostalgia that is relevant to too few people. It's true, trolly buses add no new element to the game. They are still just buses with the same capacity providing the same service as what we already have an abundance of.

Meanwhile, just as many people, if not more, have been begging for parking lots and parking garages for how long? Adding this is actually something new to the game we don't have, yet all players around the world can relate to. As I said before, different size lots for parking capacity and be able to set an hourly parking rate. Or even if it's just a one time fee, then have it work like the toll booths. A Cim drives into a garage, they get charged the fee we set. This could potentially add a great game dynamic and work as a mini transportation hub that wouldn't take up too much space. Cims drive to the garage/parking lot that is next door to some other mode of transportation that takes them further on their journey.

Why the devs would work so hard just to give us more buses that do nothing more than what we have already is beyond me. Technically these trolly buses are more restrictive because now you need special roads for them to function and I'll bet they don't have every road type available to be used in all situations with bike lanes, all multilane roads, the inability to work with other modes of transit like monorails with stations, etc. I'd be surprised if they added all capability, they sure didn't with the trams.

i would have liked to have seen more time dedicated to traffic management at intersections. How about actual turn lanes for roads with 2 or more lanes in each direction? Now that we know the devs are willing to spend so much time and effort to get trolly buses working, how about spending time to program properly functioning intersections with walk signals and turn lanes like they work in real life. People turning left get a green turn arrow for a set amount of time to get those people through the intersection, then a solid green for people going straight along with pedestrians getting a walk signal to cross the street. How about finally spending endless hours doing that properly?? And then give us players the option of setting a timer for how long the green turn arrow stays green for along with the solid green for people going straight, for each direction.

Truth be told, if we have proper intersection traffic management capabilities, we wouldn't need other modes of mass transit in our cities because that would solve 90% of traffic congestion in this game. Traffic gets backed up because every intersection is a free for all of people getting in each others way and thus no one moves. Giving us the ability to toggle among stop signs and stop lights had little effect to eliminate traffic. They need to do it properly and completely.

But no, we get more buses. I'm excited for the rest of what this DLC offers, but the trollybuses seem pointless to me.