• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CS_SH_Logo.png

Greetings fellow city-builders! It's time to tune into another series of the beloved Cities: Skylines Dev Diaries!

As you already know, Sunset Harbor, the next expansion for Cities: Skylines, was announced on the 19th of March. In the upcoming days, we are going to take a more detailed look at all the cool features we have been working on. But first, let's start by going over what the Sunset Harbor expansion is all about and the types of new features it introduces. If you haven't already checked out the trailer, you can follow the link here or watch it below.

Cities: Skylines Sunset Harbor DLC is an expansion that, instead of improving only on a single aspect of the game, brings with it a multitude of features that address several different things. We start off these Dev Diaries here by introducing one of the key features of this expansion, the highly sought-after addition of Fishing Industry that will surely liven up the shorelines of your cities! In future Dev Diaries, we will be introducing the improved and extended mass transit options as well as the expanded Waste Transfer System, Inland Water Treatment and Healthcare city services. To top it off, we introduce a new and amazing Unique Building, cool new maps, policies and miscellaneous improvements, because we all know you can't have an expansion without them! This expansion is simply going to take your cities to the next level.

Our new maps are designed with the new Sunset Harbor features in mind. They offer challenges in the shape of sewage treatment management, provide good opportunities for fishing industry activities, and showcase memorable landscapes to build cities on. The paid part of this DLC allows you to expand on Waste Management with the Waste Transfer System, offer your citizens new mass transit options with Trolleybuses, Passenger Helicopters and Intercity Buses, and have them all utilize new Transport Hubs. The free part of this DLC, includes a majorly overhauled metro system. You can now adjust the height of metro tracks, which means tracks and stations can be underground, street level, or even above ground on elevated platforms! Included in the free content update are also the new Healthcare facilities. After building them, you may notice more children being born in the city and some citizens living slightly longer than others.

Now that the general introductions are out of the way, it's time we roll up our sleeves and dive right into the fish puns. Actually, let's try to keep those to the minimum.

What fish-tastic news!

Adding life and meaning to the vast shorelines, Fishing Industry is a new addition to the industry selection of Cities: Skylines. It is a type of industry separate from the Industries DLC and neither production chain requires the other in order to function. In Sunset Harbor, you take control of the fishing industry in the city and can manage it from simple fishing route planning all the way to final commercial production. You build fishing boat harbors, plan fishing routes for different types of boats and nurture fish farms on the shoreline (preferably away from polluted waters). The fish yield from these is then delivered to either Fish Markets in the city or to the Fish Factory, where the fish is turned into canned fish and delivered to grocery stores for increased profit.

FishingProductionChain_diary.png

You can locate the new Fishing Industry features under the same construction menu as Garbage, on it's own Fishing Industry tab. A Fishing Industry Info View was also added to the (already long) list of Info Views. It can be used to determine what types of fish live in the waters surrounding the city. The Info View shows fish types, water pollution, and existing fishing routes in different colors and also highlights the fishing industry buildings. The Outside Connections Info View now also highlights fish resources, but keep in mind that fish can only be exported!

Untitled02.png

The Fishing Industry Info View provides valuable information about water pollution, fish types, fishing routes and fishing buildings.

It's time to go fish!

After reaching milestone 3, Fishing Industry unlocks and you are able to cast your first nets! In the beginning, you can build a non-specialized Fishing Boat Harbor and define fishing routes for the boats it houses. The Fishing Harbor comes with a built-in road, similar to other harbor buildings, and it has two built-in fishing route nodes ready: one for outgoing boats and one for incoming boats. From these points, you can create the route with a special fishing route tool. Draw the route as you see fit, and connect the route to the other node on the same harbor to close it. The route shape and length is entirely up to you, and multiple fishing routes can overlap each other!

Untitled.png

The world is my oyster.

With a completed fishing route and a functioning Fishing Harbor, fishing boats are sent out to catch fish automatically. The boats can catch any type of fish, but the catch rate is only moderate and the storage capacity is low (it keeps the fishing industry running but doesn't give much of a boost to the city's economy). A boat's speed is determined by its current action: when it is catching fish, it moves slower. When it is at full capacity and returning to harbor, it moves faster. Caught fish can either be exported or transported with Fish Trucks to a Fish Market and sold directly to consumers.

As the combined fish yield from all of the city's fishing boat harbors increases, further Fishing Harbor unlocks become available. With careful fishing route planning, this process can be significantly sped up. Fishing boat harbors unlocked later all come with their own fishing boats, each dedicated to a certain type of fish. The catch rate and capacity of these specialized boats is high, but they catch fish only when sailing in an area that contains the type of fish specific to them. If the fishing boat's route passes through areas that only contain the wrong type of fish, they won't catch anything. Fishing route efficiency can be seen by selecting the harbor and opening the building panel.

SunsetHarbor_overview.png

Fishing boats catching fresh fish for the morning markets in the sunset.

The first Fish Farm unlocks at city milestone 5, allowing you to grow and gather higher yields of fish. Further Fish Farm unlocks are tied to the overall fish yield of the city's fish farms, much like with Fishing Harbors. Fish Farms are an alternative way to gather fish and also make it possible to farm seaweed and algae. Fish Farms are a more efficient way to gain high yields of fish and sea plants, but their stationary nature makes them particularly vulnerable to water pollution. Fish Farms work well in small lakes however, where creating efficient fishing routes is not feasible. Fish Farms operate on growth cycles, which can be seen by selecting the farm. During the cycle, the meter fills up. Once it is full, the building is ready to send its yield to either a Fish Factory or Fish Market. If neither a factory nor a market exists, the fish is exported out of the city.

As mentioned, water pollution affects fish yields in the polluted area. With boats, the catch rate decreases as water pollution increases, until finally they stop catching fish entirely. You need to either remove the pollution from the water or plot new fishing routes that circumvent the polluted waters. With fish farms, cultivation stops immediately if any pollution is present.

Untitled01.png

Note to self: Fish Farms and Sewage Outlets don't mix well.

How much is the fish?

So, how do we know what types of fish thrive in which conditions? In short, fish type is determined by the depth and flow of water. Sunset Harbor features 4 types of fish, all of which prefer different conditions. Anchovies thrive in still, shallow waters, salmon prefer shallow water with a flow, shellfish require deep and still waters, and tuna need deep, flowing water. This means one single map might not always have the required conditions for all types of fish.

Fishing Boat Harbors and Fish Farms have a limited capacity for storing fish, so in order to gain profit, the fish needs to be transported by Fish Trucks to either a Fish Factory, where the raw food material is processed into goods, or to a Fish Market where the raw food material is sold directly to citizens. Direct monetary compensation from fishing is received from Fish Factories and Fish Markets when their products are sold to the end users or exported. But monetary compensation is not the only benefit these buildings offer: the Fish Market gives surrounding citizens a health benefit and entertainment. In the budget panel, you can inspect how the fishing industry is performing, how much running the industry costs, and how much profit it generates. Happy fishing!

Sunset Harbor will hit the stores on the 26th of March, and we are hooked on a feeling of excitement about this expansion! To help the wait, tune in for more Dev Diaries published here every day. We hope to see you on the next one, where we will show you the kinds of new public transportation options we have to offer!

Best regards,
Your Colossal Order dev team

In the video that just came out, at 00:47 it's confirmed:
bsquiklehausen specifically mentioned that you're able to draw fishing routes outside of city limits, no mod required :)
The dev diary doesn't say a peep about this, I'm specifically trying to find out whether there's a mistake in the video tutorial or not. Come on guys, I know your reading comprehension is better than that ;)

The dev diary doesn't say a peep about this, I'm specifically trying to find out whether there's a mistake in the video tutorial or not. Come on guys, I know your reading comprehension is better than that ;)
But you can see in the images attached to the dev diary that there are several places where the fishing routes exit the city limits?

I hope my seafood cannery, farming fishing docks, and then seafood farming district on the workshop helped served as an inspiration for this addition. :)

Only thing missing is Mussels Rafts. ;)

How y'all implemented the 4 types of fish is amazing too.

Do i need a specialized grund/water (like it is with woods, ore etc.) to enable fishing?
or can i fish everywhere, where the water depth, pollution etc. is fine for fishing?

Like oil & ore do the fishing grounds run out or are they ‘unlimited’?
anyone knows this?
and do i need a special playe in the map for this like oil & ore & woods? or is it possible to fish everywhere, where the water is good enough and/or the water depth etc. ist fine for fishing?
so i don't need a special map to look out at the beginning if there is a color for a fishing-zone (don't know the english word for this)?

Do i need a specialized grund/water (like it is with woods, ore etc.) to enable fishing?
or can i fish everywhere, where the water depth, pollution etc. is fine for fishing?

All water (unless polluted) has fish in it, so it's more a question of planning out your fishing routes efficiently on a map. :)

Will previous maps be updated to include fish areas? Or will the fish industry be available only on the new maps?

Yes, they work with previous maps.

Why do they come with enforced roads; can't they be like railway stations, and similar, which allow much more flexibility in design and layout?

Fish harbors like other harbor structures come with a road to ensure they have a working road connection.

According to the video tutorial you should be able to draw fishing routes outside city limits. Can you confirm this or did bsquiklehausen forget to turn off a mod? :p

Yes, you can draw fishing routes outside city limits.

Does the fishing system influence the commercial characterization of Green City DLC? (For example, agriculture delivers goods to the commercial characterization of Green City DLC.)

I'm afraid it does not.

As far as modding goes, will we be able to apply the fish farm behavior (growth cycles) to regular farms? That way, we can have more realistic farms by simulating harvesting seasons.

I think this is not possible.

Is there a game-mechanical incentive to catch different types of fish? I assume there is, but it is not quite clear to me yet.

Depending on the topography of the map, only certain type of fish might be available. Fishing harbors that specialize on a certain fish type are more efficient than the non-specialized fishing harbor. Fish resource itself is just a resource, indifferent of the fish type. The main reason to use different fishing harbors would be to maximize fish yield.

Will my existing city be showing fish areas automatically based on water currents speed and depth?
If yes, can I change it on-the-fly by using terrain tools while playing the already exsiting city?
Or must I start a fresh city, even if on an old map?

Yes, terraforming can change water flow and depth.

Is it possible to place stations above the street (like Mass Transit DLC monorail stations)?
Can you prevent deathwaves with these buildings?
Also what about beach tourism?

I'm afraid there is no beach tourism included to Sunset Harbor. More about the stations & deathwaves on the upcoming dev diaries.

Any budget improvements in Sunset Harbor ?

I'm not sure what kind of improvements you are thinking about so I think the answer is most likely no :(

Like oil & ore do the fishing grounds run out or are they ‘unlimited’?

Unlimited unless the water gets polluted.

You can fish everywhere, but you might want to pay attention to road connections from the fish harbor to fish market and factories.

I'm afraid there is no beach tourism included to Sunset Harbor. More about the stations & deathwaves on the upcoming dev diaries.
Eh, that's sad because many people wanted them (probably they were more often requested than trolleybuses) and it's a shame that DLC named "Sunset Harbor" doesn't have beach resorts :(

Eh, that's sad because many people wanted them (probably they were more often requested than trolleybuses) and it's a shame that DLC named "Sunset Harbor" doesn't have beach resorts :(

While there definitely were people wanting trolleybuses, I do believe there were more people wanting beaches and beach assets (Parklife) than trolleys, like you say.

I would prefer beaches myself. I haven't even used the regular buses since I started a Scenario from "Mass Transit" (Trains!), so years I guess. Trolleys won't be of much use to me.

So, @co_emmi, I have a question and I think the answer is probably yes but I gotta ask anyway. Since there are only four fish species in this DLC, will there be modding support for adding more fishes? And how far the modding can go in this respect? Can we define their preference?

Additionally, I would suggest making each fish species a bit distinct in additional attributes such as how fast they reproduce, et cetera. Having the reproduction rate as an attribute could potentially impact the fishing resources and may or may not force you to act in restricting the fishing activities as a matter of conservation if the city-wide fish yields starts to deplete at an alarming rate. We already have pollution as a factor that impacts the fish yields but there seem to be nothing to indicate that over-fishing itself is possible. The over-fishing might be simply in terms of how many Fishing Harbors there are with their overall capacity against the potential city-wide fish yields as indicated in a city graph.

One possible way to mitigate the effects of over-fishing might be in building a Fish Hatchery, which is kind of self-explanatory by its name but they are basically responsible for providing a safe place for the fishes to lay the eggs which then hatches and those fishes are then released into the water. I'm not certain how to explain this but I did visited one of them in Juneau, Alaska several years ago and I thought it was very interesting. I am not certain but I think the fish hatcheries are designed for among the purposes a means to reduce the impact of over-fishing. Obviously, more research is needed in this one but here is the Wikipedia entry describing the fish hatchery. But the Hatchery may be an expensive building so you need to think carefully about how many Fishing Harbors to have in your city before you might come to the point where a fish hatchery might be absolutely necessary to keep growing the fishing industry. Simply put, it is all about sustainable management.

The combination of pollution and over-fishing would, of course, pose an existential risk to the fishing industry if not sufficiently controlled to the point where they can threaten them. Obviously, the pollution can become especially challenging if you wanted to expand the non-fishing industry but which would substantially impact fishing production so it is kind of like the gun vs. butter dilemma, a trade-off if you will. At the same time, potential dangers of over-fishing means that you might have to diversify your economy more but which meant potential for increasing water pollution through the increasing sewerage in the water.

Finally, the potential of increasing water pollution and its impact on fishing industry could be even more pronounced if the water pollution mechanic were to be extended in that the water pollution also comes from the nearby factories and the nearby farms (whose chemicals can potentially run off during the rain into the nearby water). I'm honestly even surprised that the industries and the farms don't directly pollute the water yet in the game. Right now, the source of water pollution appears to be only from sewerage.

Anyway, I think the over-fishing would add an interesting dimension to the challenges of sustaining the fishing industry in addition to that of the pollution.

I placed a fishing harbour, started to place fishing routes, got the fishing harbour flooded so I moved to another location and now the old fishing routes that I started to place... cant be deleted. They are there but I cant see them to remove with bulldozer. Even if I re-place the fishing harbour in the old spot, I cant remove the fishing routes.

I placed a fishing harbour, started to place fishing routes, got the fishing harbour flooded so I moved to another location and now the old fishing routes that I started to place... cant be deleted. They are there but I cant see them to remove with bulldozer. Even if I re-place the fishing harbour in the old spot, I cant remove the fishing routes.
Sounds like a bug.