Cities: Skylines - Sunset Harbor Dev Diary #1: Fishing Industry

Cities: Skylines - Sunset Harbor Dev Diary #1: Fishing Industry

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

ristosal

Major
10 Badges
Nov 29, 2016
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
In the video that just came out, at 00:47 it's confirmed:
bsquiklehausen specifically mentioned that you're able to draw fishing routes outside of city limits, no mod required :)
The dev diary doesn't say a peep about this, I'm specifically trying to find out whether there's a mistake in the video tutorial or not. Come on guys, I know your reading comprehension is better than that ;)

AlternativeWorld

Private
7 Badges
Mar 2, 2020
The dev diary doesn't say a peep about this, I'm specifically trying to find out whether there's a mistake in the video tutorial or not. Come on guys, I know your reading comprehension is better than that ;)
But you can see in the images attached to the dev diary that there are several places where the fishing routes exit the city limits?

Cieran

Private
12 Badges
Mar 29, 2017
  • Magicka 2
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
I hope my seafood cannery, farming fishing docks, and then seafood farming district on the workshop helped served as an inspiration for this addition. :)

Only thing missing is Mussels Rafts. ;)

How y'all implemented the 4 types of fish is amazing too.

ma2412

Captain
12 Badges
Nov 4, 2013
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Surviving Mars
Do i need a specialized grund/water (like it is with woods, ore etc.) to enable fishing?
or can i fish everywhere, where the water depth, pollution etc. is fine for fishing?

ma2412

Captain
12 Badges
Nov 4, 2013
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Surviving Mars
Like oil & ore do the fishing grounds run out or are they ‘unlimited’?
anyone knows this?
and do i need a special playe in the map for this like oil & ore & woods? or is it possible to fish everywhere, where the water is good enough and/or the water depth etc. ist fine for fishing?
so i don't need a special map to look out at the beginning if there is a color for a fishing-zone (don't know the english word for this)?

co_emmi

Captain
1 Badges
Sep 22, 2014
  • Colossal Order Staff
Will previous maps be updated to include fish areas? Or will the fish industry be available only on the new maps?
Yes, they work with previous maps.

Why do they come with enforced roads; can't they be like railway stations, and similar, which allow much more flexibility in design and layout?
Fish harbors like other harbor structures come with a road to ensure they have a working road connection.

According to the video tutorial you should be able to draw fishing routes outside city limits. Can you confirm this or did bsquiklehausen forget to turn off a mod? :p
Yes, you can draw fishing routes outside city limits.

Does the fishing system influence the commercial characterization of Green City DLC? (For example, agriculture delivers goods to the commercial characterization of Green City DLC.)
I'm afraid it does not.

As far as modding goes, will we be able to apply the fish farm behavior (growth cycles) to regular farms? That way, we can have more realistic farms by simulating harvesting seasons.
I think this is not possible.

Is there a game-mechanical incentive to catch different types of fish? I assume there is, but it is not quite clear to me yet.
Depending on the topography of the map, only certain type of fish might be available. Fishing harbors that specialize on a certain fish type are more efficient than the non-specialized fishing harbor. Fish resource itself is just a resource, indifferent of the fish type. The main reason to use different fishing harbors would be to maximize fish yield.

Will my existing city be showing fish areas automatically based on water currents speed and depth?
If yes, can I change it on-the-fly by using terrain tools while playing the already exsiting city?
Or must I start a fresh city, even if on an old map?
Yes, terraforming can change water flow and depth.

Is it possible to place stations above the street (like Mass Transit DLC monorail stations)?
Can you prevent deathwaves with these buildings?
Also what about beach tourism?
I'm afraid there is no beach tourism included to Sunset Harbor. More about the stations & deathwaves on the upcoming dev diaries.

Any budget improvements in Sunset Harbor ?
I'm not sure what kind of improvements you are thinking about so I think the answer is most likely no :(

Like oil & ore do the fishing grounds run out or are they ‘unlimited’?
Unlimited unless the water gets polluted.

Do i need a specialized grund/water (like it is with woods, ore etc.) to enable fishing?
or can i fish everywhere, where the water depth, pollution etc. is fine for fishing?
You can fish everywhere, but you might want to pay attention to road connections from the fish harbor to fish market and factories.

ma2412

Captain
12 Badges
Nov 4, 2013
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Surviving Mars
so in every piece of water (as log it is not polluted) the can be some sort of fish?
depending on water depth, floating speed etc. the sort of fish changes?

velles

Corporal
21 Badges
Oct 14, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings III Referal
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
I'm afraid there is no beach tourism included to Sunset Harbor. More about the stations & deathwaves on the upcoming dev diaries.
Eh, that's sad because many people wanted them (probably they were more often requested than trolleybuses) and it's a shame that DLC named "Sunset Harbor" doesn't have beach resorts :(

Fox_NS_CAN

General
1 Badges
Oct 26, 2016
  • Major Wiki Contributor
Eh, that's sad because many people wanted them (probably they were more often requested than trolleybuses) and it's a shame that DLC named "Sunset Harbor" doesn't have beach resorts :(
While there definitely were people wanting trolleybuses, I do believe there were more people wanting beaches and beach assets (Parklife) than trolleys, like you say.

I would prefer beaches myself. I haven't even used the regular buses since I started a Scenario from "Mass Transit" (Trains!), so years I guess. Trolleys won't be of much use to me.

Lord_Beelzebub

First Lieutenant
Aug 21, 2017
"Resorts" actually sounds like a good idea for a new DLC.

Last edited:

Chief of Staff

The Duke of Rockford
81 Badges
Jun 27, 2010
www.virtualparadise.org
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Pride of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
So, @co_emmi, I have a question and I think the answer is probably yes but I gotta ask anyway. Since there are only four fish species in this DLC, will there be modding support for adding more fishes? And how far the modding can go in this respect? Can we define their preference?

Additionally, I would suggest making each fish species a bit distinct in additional attributes such as how fast they reproduce, et cetera. Having the reproduction rate as an attribute could potentially impact the fishing resources and may or may not force you to act in restricting the fishing activities as a matter of conservation if the city-wide fish yields starts to deplete at an alarming rate. We already have pollution as a factor that impacts the fish yields but there seem to be nothing to indicate that over-fishing itself is possible. The over-fishing might be simply in terms of how many Fishing Harbors there are with their overall capacity against the potential city-wide fish yields as indicated in a city graph.

One possible way to mitigate the effects of over-fishing might be in building a Fish Hatchery, which is kind of self-explanatory by its name but they are basically responsible for providing a safe place for the fishes to lay the eggs which then hatches and those fishes are then released into the water. I'm not certain how to explain this but I did visited one of them in Juneau, Alaska several years ago and I thought it was very interesting. I am not certain but I think the fish hatcheries are designed for among the purposes a means to reduce the impact of over-fishing. Obviously, more research is needed in this one but here is the Wikipedia entry describing the fish hatchery. But the Hatchery may be an expensive building so you need to think carefully about how many Fishing Harbors to have in your city before you might come to the point where a fish hatchery might be absolutely necessary to keep growing the fishing industry. Simply put, it is all about sustainable management.

The combination of pollution and over-fishing would, of course, pose an existential risk to the fishing industry if not sufficiently controlled to the point where they can threaten them. Obviously, the pollution can become especially challenging if you wanted to expand the non-fishing industry but which would substantially impact fishing production so it is kind of like the gun vs. butter dilemma, a trade-off if you will. At the same time, potential dangers of over-fishing means that you might have to diversify your economy more but which meant potential for increasing water pollution through the increasing sewerage in the water.

Finally, the potential of increasing water pollution and its impact on fishing industry could be even more pronounced if the water pollution mechanic were to be extended in that the water pollution also comes from the nearby factories and the nearby farms (whose chemicals can potentially run off during the rain into the nearby water). I'm honestly even surprised that the industries and the farms don't directly pollute the water yet in the game. Right now, the source of water pollution appears to be only from sewerage.

Anyway, I think the over-fishing would add an interesting dimension to the challenges of sustaining the fishing industry in addition to that of the pollution.

Fox_NS_CAN

General
1 Badges
Oct 26, 2016
  • Major Wiki Contributor
No way to remove fishing routes?
Bulldozer. Can do a segment at a time.

Or click on the Fishing Harbor, and in the dialog box bottom right corner is a delete route button.

Last edited:

DeNordain

Recruit
32 Badges
Mar 30, 2018
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • BATTLETECH
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Majesty 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Stellaris
  • Age of Wonders III
  • For the Motherland
I placed a fishing harbour, started to place fishing routes, got the fishing harbour flooded so I moved to another location and now the old fishing routes that I started to place... cant be deleted. They are there but I cant see them to remove with bulldozer. Even if I re-place the fishing harbour in the old spot, I cant remove the fishing routes.

HayManMarc

Sergeant
20 Badges
May 3, 2019
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
I placed a fishing harbour, started to place fishing routes, got the fishing harbour flooded so I moved to another location and now the old fishing routes that I started to place... cant be deleted. They are there but I cant see them to remove with bulldozer. Even if I re-place the fishing harbour in the old spot, I cant remove the fishing routes.
Sounds like a bug.