Cities: Skylines (Steam) - The game won't open at all and shows no errors

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Madkirk

Private
7 Badges
Nov 7, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
Describe your issue
The game won't open at all and shows no errors

What is your game version?
I don't know. I can't open the game to see.

What expansions do you have installed?
After Dark, Snowfall, Mass Transit

What mods are you using?
none

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
When I press the play button on the game in steam it acts like it's about to open but it never does. After a few seconds the "stop" button goes back to being the "play" button. It shows no errors, not even in the files. I've even tried deleting all the files in it and re-installed the game. not even that worked.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
I have no idea how or why it happened so I don't know

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-07 132153.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-07 132153.png
    389,8 KB · Views: 0
Please gather both these two informational files, and attach them here:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\output_log.txt

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please gather both these two informational files, and attach them here:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\output_log.txt

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.
There's no "output_log.txt" but I have the DxDiag thing.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    73,9 KB · Views: 0
There must be a log file, as one is made every time the game runs, even if it fails.

Did you find the game's folder under Steam okay?

that's the thing, the game DOESN'T run. that's my whole problem
Even if the game fails to start, it will make a log file - a log that did not occur when there was a problem would not be of much use!

Did you find the game's folder under Steam okay?

Okay then under there is the Cities_Data folder, in which is output_log.txt . Depending on your Windows settings it may show as just output_log

Exit the Steam app entirely then run cities.exe directly from File Explorer. What do you see happen, please?

I'm not sure what you mean, sorry. You can't find cities.exe ? You double click on it but nothing happens?

oh so there should be an .exe on the end? there is no cities.exe. my file explorer says there's no results when I search for it
All Windows executables end in .exe . Right click on this game in your Steam Library, manage, browse local files. Cities.exe is there. It may show as just Cities depending on your WIndows settings.

Okay then under there is the Cities_Data folder, in which is output_log.txt . Depending on your Windows settings it may show as just output_log
we've been through this twice now, it's not there. the only files there are a few folders, the files for all the levels, and a bunch of .asset files. I've used the search option again, it still says "no results." I don't know what to do.

Antivirus apps can delete or quarantine .exe files if they think they are infected. I can't think of anything else that would do that.

But that would not apply to .txt or .log files as text files cannot have malware.

Did you do this?
Right click on this game in your Steam Library, manage, browse local files. Cities.exe is there. It may show as just Cities depending on your WIndows settings.