• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HegeRoberto

Corporal
10 Badges
Jul 1, 2019
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Description
Sunset Harbor free patch design flaw

What is your game version?
1.13.0-f7

What expansions do you have installed?
All of the above
What mods are you using?
Issue is not related to mods

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.

Dear Paradox,
With the new overground metro system you re-invented the metro system of Cities Skylines. However you also added some gamebreaking changes that were also unnecessary.

By adding new game-model for the metro carts we can finally see them, however you made the models TOO LONG. Which resulted in needing to make the metro stations themselves longer.

This causes horrible issues with nearly every pre-existing metro station on any save-game (yes even the completely vanilla ones) as they do not update and stay too short for the new Metro cart model. The Metro carts can block themselves in, as they can't back-up out of the station, or an incoming metro cart can block their entry path.

This is not to mention nearly every single custom Metro Station assets that are now unusable because they are too short for the new metro model.

It is my opinion that you should reduce the length of metro carts to their original length as quickly as possible. It doesn't matter if its visually less appealing or less realistic, the current metro carts are too long and break people's save games by jamming the metro system.

The long carts offer great compatibility to the Metro Overhaul Mod, which is indeed a great mod, but I think making the mod backwards compatible with numerous other stations is also important.
A short metro car model will be compatible both with MetroOverhaulMod AND other steamwork stations.

with kind regards, Robert

[EDIT]

As it turns out, the problem of too long metro trains wasn't caused by the model. Paradox team have toughtfully reduced the cart number from 6 to 5 already to ensure that the metros fit the shorter pre-existing stations.

The problem is that the old metro-trains with 6 carts don't get automatically replaced with 5 cart metro-trains.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
Play any map with metros on it that was created before the update.

Attachments

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is a visual representation of the issue. Red Metro blocks Orange Metro from entering the station, yet Red Metro can't leave the station either

This problem doesn't just effect the previously placed Metro Stations, but every single metro station in the Steam workshop that were designed with the old metro cart size in mind.

If shortening the mesh of the carts is not possible additional solution would be to limit the number of metro carts from 6 to 5.

Also those who respectfully disagree I would love to hear their reasoning why they think this isn't an issue? Why 20+ modders should individually redesign each of their metro stop assets instead of the game applying a simple fix to make the metro car model backwards compatible again?

It's also not a realistic approach that you want thousands of your players to need to replace every single metro station on their maps with new longer ones just because you made the decision to make the new model incompatible with their stations.

The longer metro train is a feature from Metro Overhaul Mod, which is why you too made the carts longer to fit that mod. But that sacrificed compatibility with many other assets. However making them shorter again has literally no back-draw. A short metro train has no problem stopping in a longer station, unlike the current longer metro trains that can't stop at the previously placed shorter stations

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    56,5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
If you are playing city from pre-1.13, you should reset your subway system. If you are playing on day, make all your lines to night line and wait until all trains are disappear. Then make your lines to default. Than you can remove all six-car trains.

If you are playing city from pre-1.13, you should reset your subway system. If you are playing on day, make all your lines to night line and wait until all trains are disappear. Then make your lines to default. Than you can remove all six-car trains.

I see, I was not aware of it that the new model should spawn with 5 cars instead of 6, and the 6 car metros need to be forced to despawn and be replaced by the new ones.

Thanks you for this info. Although I am now concerned that this isn't communicated with people. I don't think every city-builder will automatically realize that they have to reset their metro-lines to remove the now too long 6-cart trains.

I was just looking around why this highly annoying thing kept me from enjoying my city. Replacing stops etc. So this is helpful to hear I should despawn the old ones!
It is still a pain placing the new stations in the position where the old ones were because they won't fit easily. Getting slope too steep really easily. Connecting underground metro also seems really tricky/finicky.