• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

sebastianryder

Recruit
1 Badges
Jun 13, 2021
  • Cities: Skylines
Describe your issue
Launching the game failed

What is your game version?

What expansions do you have installed?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

What mods are you using?
Had infinite money mod running, but cannot see it in Workshop.

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Cannot launch game; get "Launching the game failed" error message.

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 22.23.55.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-13 at 22.23.55.png
    5,3 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Please gather both these two informational files, and attach them here:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data\output_log.txt

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

In your Steam Library right-click on this game and choose Properties. Click on Set Launch Options, and paste this in there:
-force-glcore

IF that doesn't help, Please attach this log file here:
~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

To find that file, in Finder do cmd-shift-G to bring up the GOTO box. In there paste ~/Library/ . You will see a /Logs/ folder, and inside that /Unity/ folder. Please attach that file player.log here by dropping it on this support ticket, or use the "Attach file" link here.

Also in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.

I've tried the -force-glcore option, but the issue remains.

I cannot attach the log file as I get a message saying "the uploaded file is too large for the server to process." File size is 369MB.

Attached is the system info file.

Attachments

• Computer Information.txt
    1,7 KB · Views: 0
I cannot attach the log file as I get a message saying "the uploaded file is too large for the server to process." File size is 369MB.
It should not be remotely that big! But you can compress it and attach the .zip file, I'm sure.

Hmm, -force-glcore doesn't show up as applied in the log. Can you please try to delete the log, check to make sure the launch option is still applied in Steam and then attempt to start the game again so it generates a new log. Hopefully that one won't be as big and can just be attached directly. :)

The game isn't starting at all then, since it's not generating the log. We're looking at the launcher then. Try uninstalling the Paradox Launcher and manually remove the following files and folders from ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/:

• .cpatch (hidden by default)
  • launcher-v2 (all of the folders and versions)
  • bootstrapper-v2
  • ThirdPartyLicenses.txt
Then launch the game through Steam to have it reinstall the launcher.

If that doesn't help we'll need the launcher log files, which are found here: ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2

Actually those launcher logs look perfectly fine. It installs and updates itself to 2021.6 with no error.

What if you run cities.app directly from Finder? Do you get an MacOS error perhaps?

And has this game ever run on this machine? Or never yet?

Cities: Skylines worked just fine on the Mac until the lates Paradox update. I think there is something badly wrong with the Steam and the main cause of everything is the Paradox update. When I force my computer (iMac) to quit Steam (Opt+Comm+Esc), and then start the Cities: Skylines App, I get to open the ones that aren’t stored in the Steam cloud. All others skylinescities (most of them) may been lost forever? They are there, but Steam don't open them, not even the smallest cities or the no-mod-cities. Usually CitiesSkylines takes 50-60 % of a Mac’s GPU capacity, but now suddenly it takes up 85 % and the game doesn’t start at all. I am not going to try mod by mod which one works or don't work! :mad:

Last edited: