• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MayorPotatoSalad

Recruit
10 Badges
Jan 27, 2022
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
Describe your issue
Lag caused by Airport DLC taxiways

What is your game version?
1.14.0-f4

What expansions do you have installed?
After Dark, Snowfall, Mass Transit, Green Cities, Parklife, Industries, Campus, Sunset Harbor, Airports

What mods are you using?
None. I did have 81 tiles and a handful of colour mods installed, but I completely uninstalled/unsubscribed from them as I assumed they would be the issue. Still happening.

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
I'm having huge performance issues in game that seem to scale with the amount of taxiways I build. I saw that people were having issues with 81 tiles, but after unsubscribing from it and the rest of the mods I had installed (just a handful of colour correction tools), I can still replicate the issue in a completely fresh save, no mods installed.

Video linked shows that the speed of the game (cars etc) slows down relative to the number of taxiways I build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiViEYfbJR0

The lag also goes away when I delete the taxiways.

I'm running an i7 8700, 32Gb of RAM and a 1080ti with minimal load on everything, so I'm almost positive that it's not a hardware bottleneck.

I made a post on reddit just to see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkylines/comments/sdw2m7/lag_caused_by_airport_dlc_taxiways_just_me/

Can you replicate the issue? If yes, please explain how you did it.
Start a new game, build a large grid of taxiways and observe a nearby highway. Not sure if it's directly related to the number of taxiway nodes, but the more taxiways the slower the game speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiViEYfbJR0

Attachments File(s) attached

Attachments

• Taxiway Grid for Bug Report.crp
    4,5 MB · Views: 0
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Thank you for the report! We will investigate this further.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I am having the exact same issue as the user above identical. No airport built the simulation runs smoothly after the airport is built the simulation runs exactly like the video post in the main comment. I don’t use 81 tiles. Demolishing the airport the simulation returns to normal. I am in the porcess of doing my own vanilla game recreation just to add this seems to be effecting users on Xbox aswell from reading the comments in reddit

my dlc base game, upgrade edition. Campus,park life/ sunset harbour/ green cities mass transit European suburbs university city modern city centre pearls of the east industries high tech buildings bridges and peirs station ccp natural disasters concerts airports dlc

my hardware
Processor AMD A10-5750m APU with Radeon graphics

installed ram 16gb
System type 64 bit
AMD Radeon 8650g

• 1Like
Reactions:
The same happens to me. With and without mods, airport taxisways make my game lag. My 60k city without an airport runs smooth, but my 20k city with an airport is a laggy mess. I've attached a video showing the lag going away after bulldozing all the taxiways.

My hardware:
AMD Ryzen 5600x
32gb memory
AMD Radeon RX 5700xt

Attachments

• Airports Lag.mp4
    40,6 MB
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I am having the exact same issue as the user above identical. No airport built the simulation runs smoothly after the airport is built the simulation runs exactly like the video post in the main comment. I don’t use 81 tiles. Demolishing the airport the simulation returns to normal. I am in the porcess of doing my own vanilla game recreation just to add this seems to be effecting users on Xbox aswell from reading the comments in reddit

my dlc base game, upgrade edition. Campus,park life/ sunset harbour/ green cities mass transit European suburbs university city modern city centre pearls of the east industries high tech buildings bridges and peirs station ccp natural disasters concerts airports dlc

my hardware
Processor AMD A10-5750m APU with Radeon graphics

installed ram 16gb
System type 64 bit
AMD Radeon 8650g
I have the same issue.

12900K at 5.1Ghz is on its knees with airport like this. Now even middle speed step is lagging. Only base speed is smooth.

Well done CO, well done. You really dropped the ball with this one.

Attachments

• Airport.png
    Airport.png
    5,5 MB · Views: 0
I'm pretty sure Paradox actually does a lot of the QA these days, so it's not all on CO. Also, based on how this forum's been moderated you should chill on the unnecessary passive-aggressive whacks at developers.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm pretty sure Paradox actually does a lot of the QA these days, so it's not all on CO. Also, based on how this forum's been moderated you should chill on the unnecessary passive-aggressive whacks at developers.
Possible. But it is marketed and sold as developed by CO, so if Paradox is the guilty one, then CO should really sort it out fast to minimize damage to their brand. Surely they are proud of what they do and want to be so. I know from my own side that whatever I do, I do it so that I can be proud and stand behind it. Test it, sort it, fix it, whatever needed until it is as good as it can be.

Do not address our valued partners in such terms. It is utterly inappropriate for a support forum, and disrespectful to boot. Post constructively or neutrally, or not at all. You don't want to drive the developers away from this game's forum, as has happened with some other games here.

First and only warning.

I also can confirm the above issue. I built a replica of DFW international which has a ton of taxiways. Game came to a crawl. deleted all the non-essential taxiways and got the game to a semi playable state, deleted all taxiways and game is lag free again. no other airport assets were removed.
i7-5930k, 32gb mem, GeForce GTX TITAN X
Extensive mod list (104 currently), ~2000 custom assets

Attachments

• unplayable lag.png
    unplayable lag.png
    2,6 MB · Views: 0
  • acceptable lag.png
    acceptable lag.png
    1,8 MB · Views: 0
  • no lag.png
    no lag.png
    2,6 MB · Views: 0
Reactions:
Hello,

I'm also experiencing this issue.
I love the game and all the expansions and would like to give a little more detail/theories to see if i can help the devs.

I have a pretty powerful PC:
  • Intel i9
  • 2TB SSD
  • 32GB RAM (Issue is the same with System set Pagefile and 90GB Pagefile)
  • NVIDIA 2080ti
I run a lot of mods (Pretty much all the current popular ones that require Harmony, TMPE, etc.) & The city i started for Airport DLC has 50K pop.

The issue:
  • City vehicles & pedestrians noticeably slow down & jitter with an airport built.

Interesting things:

• City was running smooth before Airport & Bulldozing the airport immediately brings back performance.

• My first version of the airport almost froze the game:
    • My first airport had 4 Terminals, 4 Concourse Nodes, 4 Runways and around 20 plane bays + a Cargo Airport...and every Plane bay could access every runway, so a huge web of taxiways.
    • Building this all at once and turning it on for the first time was probably a mistakle :) as the game ground to a hault (vehicles & peds were moving 1 tick per second, while FPS stayed high).

• Simplifying the Airport helped
    • I cut down to around 10 plane bays, and made it so each bay can only access one runway...creating a much simpler taxiway system.
    • This allowed the game to run normally, but still visually jittered and slowed the movement of pedestrians and vehicles to around 50%-75% (turning game speed all the way up had little to no effect).

• Leads me to my thought - Could it the Plane's pathfinding/bay/runway selection AI be a factor here?
    • Turning TMPE simulation accuracy & vehicle AI off did not help.
    • I may try to make an airport with just one runway and one bay of each size (Small/Medium/Large) to see if this helps.

• Interestingly, system resources dont seem to be affected.
    • Using MonitorIT in game and Task Manager on another screen, I ran the pre-airport game, the full crazy airport game and the simplified airport game several times:
      • CPU, GPU and RAM utilization were essentially the same in each.
      • FPS was essentially the same in each.
      • I found it interesting that the movement of vehicles and peds was suffering visually...but with no changes in resources utilization or FPS...(I didnt really know that was possible before doing all these tests)

I hope these observations help.

Thanks!

• 2Like
Reactions:
I decided to come here and confirm this issue as well,

I play with quiite a big mod list: 780 items (including custom assets and props). The city pop is 350k and used to run quite smoothly considering its size.
Now the game simulation is very slow and stutters a lot since I built my (quite large) custom airport with runways. At one point the simulation was unable to be unpaused even. Removing all traffic using TM: PE solved this issue.
System specs: AMD R5 3600, 32 GB RAM @3200, AMD RX5700XT. Game installed on NVME SSD.
In general it does seem like performance has taken an additional hit as well, compared to pre- update/DLC.

I hope this information might be useful, and solutions can be found to improve this situation.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I have had the same issue as well.

Using the "Airport Roads" mod fixed everything.

Steps: Install the Mod. Restart the game. Go to "Transport", "Air Transport" and replace the Airplant Runway and Airplane Taxiway.

Reactions:
Thank you for the report! We will investigate this further.
Here's my experience if it helps, but something is definitely wrong.

i7
32GB
SSD
1660Ti

TL;DR WIth same modlist my big city with no airport runs fine, but a fresh empty city with only an airport is a slideshow.

1. Updated modlist, thanks Avanya for materials making this easier. Unsubscribed all from workshop, and rebuilt using fixed and updated mods.

2. Loaded up my current city- works great.

3. Started a new city with unlimited money/unlocks to test out airport.

4. Laid out huge airport, mods used are typical move it, anarchy, etc. Simulation still ran ok when letting water physics go etc.

5. Added gates and turned on the airport buildings - instant slideshow as soon as planes appeared.

I have tried:

Loading city without an airport with all mods enabled- everything is fine.

Deleting planes with TM:pE- not much improvement if any

Launch game with -noWorkshop and -disableMods- Doesn't work

Added mod "Airport Roads" and replaced taxiways - FIXED, even with all mods enabled

Edit: apparently you don't need this mod; the old taxiways are available via find it mod if you already have that.

Here is the perfectly working version with good simulation speed with Airport Roads Taxiways (textures at gates are broken because of the size difference using anarchy to upgrade to modded taxiways but it functions). Planes land and go to gates etc., and speed 3 works just fine flying through it time. I missed a node or two it looks like but that just shows that that isn't the issue. As I upgraded more and more taxiways to the modded ones, the game got smoother and smoother. Note this mod doesn't actually add anything, it just enables the taxiway roads from the vanilla airports as I understand.

1643399650787.png

Here is the airport with Airports DLCs Taxiways. The game is a slideshow. FPS is fine but the simulation stutters like crazy and runs very slowly. Speed 3 just causes it to jank up even worse. Population 0.

1643399963070.png

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Here's my experience if it helps, but something is definitely wrong.

i7
32GB
SSD
1660Ti

TL;DR WIth same modlist my big city with no airport runs fine, but a fresh empty city with only an airport is a slideshow.

1. Updated modlist, thanks Avanya for materials making this easier. Unsubscribed all from workshop, and rebuilt using fixed and updated mods.

2. Loaded up my current city- works great.

3. Started a new city with unlimited money/unlocks to test out airport.

4. Laid out huge airport, mods used are typical move it, anarchy, etc. Simulation still ran ok when letting water physics go etc.

5. Added gates and turned on the airport buildings - instant slideshow as soon as planes appeared.

I have tried:

Loading city without an airport with all mods enabled- everything is fine.

Deleting planes with TM:pE- not much improvement if any

Launch game with -noWorkshop and -disableMods- Doesn't work

Added mod "Airport Roads" and replaced taxiways - FIXED, even with all mods enabled

Here is the perfectly working version with good simulation speed with Airport Roads Taxiways (textures at gates are broken because of the size difference using anarchy to upgrade to modded taxiways but it functions). Planes land and go to gates etc., and speed 3 works just fine flying through it time. I missed a node or two it looks like but that just shows that that isn't the issue. As I upgraded more and more taxiways to the modded ones, the game got smoother and smoother. Note this mod doesn't actually add anything, it just enables the taxiway roads from the vanilla airports as I understand.

View attachment 799771

Here is the airport with Airports DLCs Taxiways. The game is a slideshow. FPS is fine but the simulation stutters like crazy and runs very slowly. Speed 3 just causes it to jank up even worse. Population 0.

View attachment 799773
A graphical error can be avoided by replacing taxiways at the gates with vanilla from the DLC. Then combine the vanilla taxiways with the mods taxiways at a 90 degree angle.

A graphical error can be avoided by replacing taxiways at the gates with vanilla from the DLC. Then combine the vanilla taxiways with the mods taxiways at a 90 degree angle.
I did that. It reintroduces a good bit of lag, unfortunately. I'm just trying to help troubleshoot the performance, really. If the other taxiways work fine, then I'm sure the devs can get it patched pretty quickly. It means the asset just needs to be updated somehow, probably not a major framework issue. It's obviously a problem with the taxiways, it seems, independent of mods or city size.

Sounds like maybe they tried to recode new taxiway pathing or something to fix a problem that didn't need to be fixed lol. Unfortunate. I hope they can just patch the new taxiways to behave the same as the old ones but with the new texture/size and then graphical issues won't be a concern.

• 1Like
Reactions: